Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would Vince Dunn or Carson Soucy land us a top-6 F? Since both are young top-4 D, I would think there is a chance we flip one of them.

Gio-Oleksiak
Soucy/Dunn-Larsson
Fleury-Lauzon
Borgen

Reactions: andys

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Would Vince Dunn or Carson Soucy land us a top-6 F? Since both are young top-4 D, I would think there is a chance we flip one of them.

Gio-Oleksiak
Soucy/Dunn-Larsson
Fleury-Lauzon
Borgen

I would rather keep Dunn and look at free agency or other teams trying to dump a contract.

Though, so far the latter doesn't seem what Francis is looking for.
And not just that, but he also needs to start finding ways to flip a couple of the extra players picked yesterday if he wants any kind of value back for them.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I would rather keep Dunn and look at free agency or other teams trying to dump a contract.

And not just that, but he also needs to start finding ways to flip a couple of the extra players picked yesterday if he wants any kind of value back for them.

Its only day 2 of actually having assets that are not draft picks.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Gio-Oleksiak
Soucy/Dunn-Larsson
Fleury-Lauzon
Borgen

Possibly but the question is why would you want to? I know your forwards are weak but Giordano isn't gonna be there next year while both of them will be. Unless you have faith in Fluery or Lauzon being as good as them in the top 4 then take that chance.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I would rather keep Dunn as well but I would expect one of Dunn/Soucy to be moved.

I don't expect GMRF to make many trades till after FA starts. Would mean that we are NOT getting more picks in this years draft but if his plan is to use FA to fill out the roster, it would align with that plan.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Its only day 2 of actually having assets that are not draft picks.

Absolutely.

Though, we need to start trading a couple of those extra players before free agency or their trade value might go down.
Vegas was really good and fast at flipping a couple of their extras, being able to get a couple of nice deals done.

Maybe there's more happening during the entry draft and I'm curious to see what the plan is with all that cap space.

I would rather keep Dunn as well but I would expect one of Dunn/Soucy to be moved.

I don't expect GMRF to make many trades till after FA starts. Would mean that we are NOT getting more picks in this years draft but if his plan is to use FA to fill out the roster, it would align with that plan.

And that just wouldn't make much sense to me.

Waiting isn't what you should be doing while trying to flip those extra players, IMO.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Possibly but the question is why would you want to? I know your forwards are weak but Giordano isn't gonna be there next year while both of them will be. Unless you have faith in Fluery or Lauzon being as good as them in the top 4 then take that chance.

Unless they land Power .. ;) Or take Clarke instead of Beniers.

I would most definitely like to keep both Soucy and Dunn. Good teams need to have depth for players to step up when injuries happen and the D depth we currently have will be ideal in that scenario. But I am trying to also keep an open mind to using them as assets to land forwards as they are a position of need.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Absolutely.

Though, we need to start trading a couple of those extra players before free agency or their trade value might go down.
Vegas was really good and fast at flipping a couple of their extras, being able to get a couple of nice deals done.

Maybe there's more happening during the entry draft and I'm curious to see what the plan is with all that cap space.

And that just wouldn't make much sense to me.

Waiting isn't what you should be doing while trying to flip those extra players, IMO.
Which extra players are you referring to?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Unless they land Power .. ;) Or take Clarke instead of Beniers.

I would most definitely like to keep both Soucy and Dunn. Good teams need to have depth for players to step up when injuries happen and the D depth we currently have will be ideal in that scenario. But I am trying to also keep an open mind to using them as assets to land forwards as they are a position of need.

If you draft Power than all bets are off. You could trade both Dunn and Soucy. Power and Oleksiak should hold down your left side with Larsson on the right. Lauzon and Fluery as your bottom pair, you could put Lauzon on the 2nd pair right side as well. But it's easier to find top 6 forwards than top 4 D so if you were to trade those players the returns would need to be worth it. Not sure which teams or players you'd be looking at?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Which extra players are you referring to?

The six you decide are not part of the 23 you keep.

Could be more established guys like Giordano, McCann, Donskoi, Blackwell or Soucy.
Or younger guys like Fleury, Borgen, True, MacDermid, Qennville, Vanecek etc.

I think you need to make a decision on who are the ones you want to keep and who are the ones you're OK flipping for picks/prospects.

But yeah, maybe that happens during the entry draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Could be more established guys like Giordano, McCann, Donskoi, Blackwell or Soucy.

I think you need to make a decision on who are the ones you want to keep and who are the ones you're OK flipping for picks/prospects.

I do not think there are lot of teams interested in moving out their 2021 picks. And in that case, it makes little difference if the trades of any of players/prospects happens today or after the entry draft.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I do not think there are lot of teams interested in moving out their 2021 picks. And in that case, it makes little difference if the trades of any of players/prospects happens today or after the entry draft.

Why would they be more willing to move their picks in 2022?

By then teams should be able to scout those prospects better than the ones from this draft and most people have talked about the 2021 draft not being all that great and a huge crap shoot thanks to the lack of scouting.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why would they be more willing to move their picks in 2022?

By then teams should be able to scout those prospects better than the ones from this draft and most people have talked about the 2021 draft not being all that great and a huge crap shoot thanks to the lack of scouting.

Its something that happens quite often as we get close to the draft. Teams want to hold on to their picks.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Don't think Dunn at this point can get the Kraken higher than a third round pick, maybe at best a low second. Army GM in St Louis tried to trade him last season and before the expansion draft. The Blues tried to get something back for him prior to expansion, The offers weren't that great. Dunn is a case where fans value him a lot more than GM's around the league. Things might change after the draft and free agency.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Its something that happens quite often as we get close to the draft. Teams want to hold on to their picks.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait what happens the next couple of weeks.

Though, I think it's still rather more likely teams part with 2021 picks(instead of future drafts) given the uncertainty of this draft.
Especially since I'm not talking about first round picks coming our way for the guys we might want to flip.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019

Well our defence is kinda set
Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-?
H.Fleury-?

At the moment we have;
Dunn, Lauzon, MacDermid LHD but can play RD
Fleury and Brogen RHD
Soucy, Cholowski, and Bayreuther LHD

I think Dunn completes the Top4 with Oleksiak and Lauzon the Top6 with H.Fleury.

Soucy is worth too much to be a 7th dman in my opinion. So we can trade him.

Cholowski has still a lot of upside so would keep him as our 7th dman and C.Fleury as our 8th dman (I like the idea of both Fleury being in the lineup in the new future)

Not sure we can get much for Brogen, MacDermid and Bayreuther

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just got an evolving hockey subscription to play around with numbers for some players we may be interested in. The projections were interesting:

Landeskog: 8.8M x 7
Danault: 6.2M x 7
Hamilton: 8.4M x 7
Schwartz: 4.7M x 3
Wennberg: 4.9M x 5

Hamilton's numbers actually look realistic. Schwartz, I think makes closer to 5M but thats not too far from the projection. Danault seems a little too expensive to me, by about half a million. And no way I pay Landeskog over 8M.

Overall, those projections don't seem too bad.

Out of curiousity, I also put in numbers for the 2 signings we have already had:

Oleksiak: 4.1M x 5
Larsson: 4.1M x 5

I knew we had overpaid slightly for Oleksiak but seems like we got a good deal on Larsson.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The Kraken can afford the 4 most expensive of those contracts. You add THOSE and that team destroys. I’m not counting on that of course, but only 1 team can do 4/5 of that.

I prefer they go with Schwartz over Wennberg myself anyway. If Seattle can grab 2 of those forwards, things change dramatically.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just got an evolving hockey subscription to play around with numbers for some players we may be interested in. The projections were interesting:

Landeskog: 8.8M x 7
Danault: 6.2M x 7
Hamilton: 8.4M x 7
Schwartz: 4.7M x 3
Wennberg: 4.9M x 5

Hamilton's numbers actually look realistic. Schwartz, I think makes closer to 5M but thats not too far from the projection. Danault seems a little too expensive to me, by about half a million. And no way I pay Landeskog over 8M.

Overall, those projections don't seem too bad.

Out of curiousity, I also put in numbers for the 2 signings we have already had:

Oleksiak: 4.1M x 5
Larsson: 4.1M x 5

I knew we had overpaid slightly for Oleksiak but seems like we got a good deal on Larsson.

I would throw 9M at Hamilton if that's what it took, they need a player like him badly. You can find forwards easier. Landeskog is the best forward in that group but not sure it's the right decision to pay that for him. Go with Schwartz for the short term, if that's the projection I would go 5 x 4. To me that's too much for Danault and with Gourde and possibly Berniers I don't see the need especially for 7 years. Wennberg on a 3 year deal closer to 4M would be a better idea.

I would get Hamilton which would allow you to trade Giordano for futures and then look to move Soucy or Dunn for a similar aged forward. Sign Schwartz and give kids like Appleton, Geekie and Lind a chance to prove they can be top 6 or top 9 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad