WC: 2021 Kazakhstan Roster Talk

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Kazakhstan announced today the squad for the World Championship

Goalkeepers: Henrik Karlsson, Andrey Shutov, Nikita Boyarkin;

Defenders: Darren Dietz, Alexey Maklyukov, Ivan Stepanenko, Jesse Blacker, Victor Svedberg, Yegor Shalapov, Samat Daniyar, Valery Orekhov, Kirill Polokhov;

Forwards: Roman Starchenko, Yevgeny Rymarev, Anton Sagadeev, Pavel Akolzin, Alexander Shin, Sayan Daniyar, Alikhan Asetov, Dmitry Shevchenko, Nikita Mikhailis, Kirill Panyukov, Dmitry Gurkov, Curtis Valk, Kirill Savitsky, Arkady Shestakov, Artem Likhotnikov, Yegor Petukhov

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't think they are too angry. He is old, pretty nothing tournament (no relegation), and the wing is their deepest position.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don't think they are too angry. He is old, pretty nothing tournament (no relegation), and the wing is their deepest position.

He is a top KHLer that would add much. Always nice to have sucess even in a "nothing tournament". Dawes would be a threat to any team.

Congratulations to Lithaunia btw, you guys made Euro 2022 in handball (men) for first time ever.

2022 European Men's Handball Championship - Wikipedia

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is a top KHLer that would add much. Always nice to have sucess even in a "nothing tournament". Dawes would be a threat to any team.

Congratulations to Lithaunia btw, you guys made Euro 2022 in handball (men) for first time ever.

2022 European Men's Handball Championship - Wikipedia
Yeah for sure he would be useful but I just pointed out there is nothing to really be angry about, him not playing is pretty understandable. I also think they "cheated" slightly in favor of the young guys under the circumstances hence the 3 young Ds in favor of Metalnikov, for example.

And yes, thank you for congratulations, that actually did make the headlines here :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Btw Eric Martinsson just signed with Barys Nur-Sultan. In 3 years from now he is probaly gonna play for Kazaksthan National Team. :laugh:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, imagine the days when Kazakhstan - Italy used to be close. With all these imports (and some internal improvement, sure) they are getting close to mid-table.. Hopefully, they don't find a new import goalie right away after Karlsson hangs them up. I guess we have to thank Skabelka for luring Pasquale to Loko and ruining that scheme.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
Btw Eric Martinsson just signed with Barys Nur-Sultan. In 3 years from now he is probaly gonna play for Kazaksthan National Team. :laugh:
Александр Корешков: "Перед сборной всегда ставится максимальная задача" - Шайба.kz

This is funny because in a interview Kazakhstan GM said that every single foreigner who signs with Barys there is talk between team and agent that the player must represent national team, which is a disgrace.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Александр Корешков: "Перед сборной всегда ставится максимальная задача" - Шайба.kz

This is funny because in a interview Kazakhstan GM said that every single foreigner who signs with Barys there is talk between team and agent that the player must represent national team, which is a disgrace.

A disgrace, but it benefits all sides long-term considering, with Kazakh citizenship, foreigners are no longer considered imports.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

Yep, player agent Babayev who represents most of the Barys foreigners that eventually play for NT was even voicing his surprise that Barys signed Ortio who won't be able to help national team.

Anyone willing to create Belarus national team thread? Would like to shame them too about handing out passports like candy.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not gonna lie, Ortio resigning was a surprise to me as well. I guess they want to try Boyarkin for a year or something. He does seem like a pretty promising goalie by Kazakh standards.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I guess they want to try Boyarkin for a year or something. He does seem like a pretty promising goalie by Kazakh standards.

I frankly don't see it. Barys has shown no long term vision in nurturing local talent in all of their existence, all of their local players more or less fall in their laps or breakout out of nowhere. Team/hockey federation is maddeningly results driven, so they chose the easy way and are purchasing national team members in hope for immediate success. They will either resign Karlsson for another year or get some fresh meat in from AHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They will either resign Karlsson for another year or get some fresh meat in from AHL.
That's definitely an option and was almost certainly a plan for Pasquale but 1) they need to get the AHL guy now for him to be eligible for 2023 WC at least and Barys only have backup slot open which limits whom they can attract somewhat; 2) Karlsson is getting really old so even if they still go with him in 2022 AND he agrees they really do need to get someone else for 2023.

You know, at least there is some intrigue to the whole situation now, not just a smooth transition from guy A to guy B.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
You know, at least there is some intrigue to the whole situation now, not just a smooth transition from guy A to guy B.
Worlds saddest intrigue! :D But I agree, if for some reason Karlsson is unable to play this or next year, Kazakhstan might have to ice a local goalie.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
How come Antropov’s kid has never suited up at any level? He’s a dual and has never represented Canada

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How come Antropov’s kid has never suited up at any level? He’s a dual and has never represented Canada
He sees no reason to play for Kazakhstan, I'd assume. Since his father is ethnic Russian and he was born in Canada, Kazakh hockey probably doesn't mean much to him.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
He sees no reason to play for Kazakhstan, I'd assume. Since his father is ethnic Russian and he was born in Canada, Kazakh hockey probably doesn't mean much to him.
Is he even eligible to represent Kazakhstan? My guess is he didn't play there when his father played for Barys. And I'd guess he would've represented Kazakhstan at least at the U20 level if he was eligible, considering that they played in the top division.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
This should be the opposite of a "nothing tournament" for Kazakhstan considering what poor teams most teams relying on North America-based players are sending this year. Meanwhile Kazakhstan is really only missing Dawes so if they ever wanted to pursue something bigger than just to avoid relegation, this is the year to do that.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Meanwhile Kazakhstan is really only missing Dawes
That's just not true. They are realistically missing their two best local D players in Savchenko and Metalnikov. That said, make no mistake, missing Dawes is obviously huge, because outside Curtis Valk their forwards are all locals or non-factor Russians.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
That's just not true. They are realistically missing their two best local D players in Savchenko and Metalnikov. That said, make no mistake, missing Dawes is obviously huge, because outside Curtis Valk their forwards are all locals or non-factor Russians.
Missing your "two best local D players" doesn't mean much when their best defensemen are naturalized. The fact that Kazakhstan didn't even end up selecting Metalnikov (despite presumably being available) hardly even makes it qualify as a loss.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Missing your "two best local D players" doesn't mean much when their best defensemen are naturalized. The fact that Kazakhstan didn't even end up selecting Metalnikov (despite presumably being available) hardly even makes it qualify as a loss.
Love your confidence when talking about things you don't even bother to investigate. Metalnikov has a long term injury so that's why he is missing out. And yes, missing two legit KHL defensemen for a nation like Kazakhstan is a big loss no matter how you spin it.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Love your confidence when talking about things you don't even bother to investigate. Metalnikov has a long term injury so that's why he is missing out. And yes, missing two legit KHL defensemen for a nation like Kazakhstan is a big loss no matter how you spin it.
What do you mean by "legit"?
Both Metalnikov and Savchenko are only good for KHL due to the fact they are not considered imports

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
What do you mean by "legit"?
Both Metalnikov and Savchenko are only good for KHL due to the fact they are not considered imports
I hope you are only semi-serious with this, but ok, I'll give you that - Savchenko is not better/more valuable than any of Lokomotiv's 5 foreigners, but a powerhouse team like Lokomotiv can sign any non-foreign player they wish, yet they still chose to pick up him. How come if he is not a "legit" KHL player?

Obviously I can't build the such case for Metalnikov, as he still play for Barys, but just watch him play lol. Barys is a playoff team year in year out, unlike Dinamo Riga who actually ices all sorts of awful local players because they are local.

I don't even know how we got there. All I'm saying, Kazakhstan has a handful of good players outside naturalized players and two of them are missing the tournament.

erik26

Apr 10, 2012
Savchenko have Russia pasport, Metalnikov is injured... Henrik Karlsson is out of team....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad