WC: 2021 Kazakhstan Roster Talk

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
With all due respect, without Karlsson this team is probably going to concede one extra goal per game on average, if not more.

Which is definitely not going to help beat Germany, Latvia or Norway.

I'm pretty sure both sides are aware of it and this will play out in favor of Karlsson, and he will probably return to the camp after reiceiving some extra money. But this once again underlines the absurdity of the Kazakh approach.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Love your confidence when talking about things you don't even bother to investigate. Metalnikov has a long term injury so that's why he is missing out. And yes, missing two legit KHL defensemen for a nation like Kazakhstan is a big loss no matter how you spin it.
Even so, for defensemen you have both Svedberg and Blacker making their WC debuts. Without the just-revealed news of Karlsson's injury, this would no doubt have been an exceptionally powerful Kazakhstani team in relation to the competition.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This indeed sounds to be true (in Russian). Hilarious if the rumor about contract is also true.
What have I told you about the intrigue :sarcasm: :popcorn:

But yeah, this is a huge loss for Kazakhs and a huge gain for everyone else. It is also absolutely hilarious.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I hope you are only semi-serious with this, but ok, I'll give you that - Savchenko is not better/more valuable than any of Lokomotiv's 5 foreigners, but a powerhouse team like Lokomotiv can sign any non-foreign player they wish, yet they still chose to pick up him. How come if he is not a "legit" KHL player?

Obviously I can't build the such case for Metalnikov, as he still play for Barys, but just watch him play lol. Barys is a playoff team year in year out, unlike Dinamo Riga who actually ices all sorts of awful local players because they are local.

I don't even know how we got there. All I'm saying, Kazakhstan has a handful of good players outside naturalized players and two of them are missing the tournament.

I was quite serious, but maybe you misunderstood me. I was asking what do you mean by legit? Because if it means "capable of playing at this level" is one thing, "good player at this level" is another thing. Both Savchenko and Metalnikov are non-impact players and the fact they play in KHL means nothing in international competition. They are not counted as imports and there is a team from Kazakhstan in KHL, that's the reason they are in KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was quite serious, but maybe you misunderstood me. I was asking what do you mean by legit? Because if it means "capable of playing at this level" is one thing, "good player at this level" is another thing. Both Savchenko and Metalnikov are non-impact players and the fact they play in KHL means nothing in international competition. They are not counted as imports and there is a team from Kazakhstan in KHL, that's the reason they are in KHL.
By legit he means that they play in the KHL on merit rather than out of necessity/forced promotion by their federation. And "capable player at the KHL level" means loads for a team like Kazakhstan.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was not ready for "the intrigue" so soon! Will tune in to KAZ-BLR exhibition game in thirty minutes to see how their backups look like.
I don't even know if Shostak can be considered backup at this point, going by the eye test he is Belarus' best goalie now. Overall, pretty garbage roster from the Belarussian side for today's game.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I don't even know if Shostak can be considered backup at this point, going by the eye test he is Belarus' best goalie now. Overall, pretty garbage roster from the Belarussian side for today's game.
Woops, I one hundred percent agree with you that Shostak so far has been better than Danny Taylor ( to the extent that if Taylor was hypothetically eligible for GB, he still might be a backup behind Bowns...) . When I said to look at backup keepers, I meant solely at Kazakh goalies - I had no idea who was in net for both teams today.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Yeah, imagine the days when Kazakhstan - Italy used to be close. With all these imports (and some internal improvement, sure) they are getting close to mid-table.. Hopefully, they don't find a new import goalie right away after Karlsson hangs them up. I guess we have to thank Skabelka for luring Pasquale to Loko and ruining that scheme.

They most certainly are not mid-table in any way. They are going to be bottom-2 and they will be relegated within a couple of years again. No relegation this year and might survive one more time. Will be relegated again soon enough.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They most certainly are not mid-table in any way. They are going to be bottom-2 and they will be relegated within a couple of years again. No relegation this year and might survive one more time. Will be relegated again soon enough.
This is backed by no actual arguments whatsoever.

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
Why on earth does Panyukov play in the 4th line and 2nd PP unit?! One of their best forwards...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why on earth does Panyukov play in the 4th line and 2nd PP unit?! One of their best forwards...
Kazakhstan has 4 pretty even lines, he is meant to carry his line by design, probably. I mean nominally the 1st line with Shin and Rymarev definitely isn't a legitimate 1st line. It's just meant to make an even spread. Just like plugging Savitsky with Valk and Mikhailis.

Reactions: Poiquets

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
I see. But when one of your best forwards has an icetime of 8:48, I still find it quite odd. Also, it puzzles me, because in Barys Yuri Mikhailis, the coach of both barys and Kazakshtan plays him in the top line with top guys.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
You can bet your buttocks, Boyarkin would not see a second of ice time in this tournament if not for Karlsson deserting. Just shows how this mercenary hiring is stalling/blocking local players from breaking out and making a name for themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad