GDT: 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don’t think so. I didn’t see anything, nothing was reported, and TSN didn’t catch anything either. He didn’t leave the bench and he was on the ice afterwards for the anthem. When they took him off his line in the 2nd period and swapped him with Firstov, and he joined Safonov and Spiridonov, I didn’t see the whole line for a while in the 3rd. And then at the end, they made another change and put Spiridonov with Bardakov and Ponomaryov. It looks like they benched him but I don’t know why. As far as I could see, he didn’t do anything egregious. There was no broadcast highlight of anything that stuck out. And they shortened the bench while already missing 2 of their top 6 guys in Chinakhov and Abramov. Unless Larionov just lost track of his bench
The Russian national teams evolved out of the Red Army teams, so there's a certain culture that goes along with it, but it being an Igor Larionov team makes me want to doubt it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I normally pull for Finland against Sweden, but that means we don't get Alnefelt vs Groshov in the semi-final.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not a great tournament for Alnefelt. After last year's performance, expectations were high this go around, but not met.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Not a great tournament for Alnefelt. After last year's performance, expectations were high this go around, but not met.

Honestly, I expected Wallstedt to start and was kinda shocked when they announced Hugo was. He had some tremendous saves this tourney but more questionable goals against than last year, IMO. Despite that, I still feel he's shown enough to be more than capable of being 88's backup down the road.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
I think his technique and posture seemed good, covers a'lot of the net and and doesn't outplay himself. Had some trouble with some easy shots, maybe just mental issue with the team or lost self coinfidence? Sweden looked really shaky the whole game, where Finland was able to find their own game after the bad first period. Gotta wonder when are we going to start draft finnish players, yet again some good looking late round picks with Viro, Niemelä, Aku Räty, Pärssinen etc.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Honestly, I expected Wallstedt to start and was kinda shocked when they announced Hugo was. He had some tremendous saves this tourney but more questionable goals against than last year, IMO. Despite that, I still feel he's shown enough to be more than capable of being 88's backup down the road.
I thought they'd go back to Alnefelt, but more so because of what he's done in the past, than what he's done in the past week. He won gold at the U-18s, and last year he was #2 in sv% and #2 in gaa only to Joel Hofer of Canada in the WJC. Both tournaments he had to duel against Spencer Knight and Yaroslav Askarov.

My hope coming into this with Knight getting pulled against the Russians and then Askarov not living up to his own hype, was for Alnefelt to take top goaltender at this tournament. He had the experience, he's performed well internationally many times, and with 19 year olds Broberg, Soderstrom, and Bjornfot in front of him, it looked like he was going to have a pretty good defense too. At least on paper. But this year, even in the SHL, hasn't been a great one for Alnefelt. But yeah, I'd still definitely welcome him or Miftakhov (both?) to join Syracuse for 2021-22.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bad drop pass by Groshev on his own blueline. One of the few times he's made a poor discussion with the puck.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Canada shuts out Russia 5-0. Canadians will advance to the gold medal game and Russians will play for bronze

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
After sitting the majority of the 3rd period in the quarterfinal game against Germany, Groshev sits all of the first period of the semifinal game as Canada goes up 3-0. Groshev then plays 4:34 in the 2nd period and 5:33 in the 3rd period.

I really don't get it.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
After sitting the majority of the 3rd period in the quarterfinal game against Germany, Groshev sits all of the first period of the semifinal game as Canada goes up 3-0. Groshev then plays 4:34 in the 2nd period and 5:33 in the 3rd period.

I really don't get it.
Groshev was almost the only one "Mature" player in the team. I mean mature in descissions,mature in puck movement and mature in his role on the ice. Sitting him on bench was really really bad choice. Bad choice this is how I could call team Russia this year. This was my first time in 10 years when i felt nothing when Russia lost (Im russian and I cheer for them especially u20 teams as much as i cheer for Tampa Bay) but this year team didnt inspire me. Karyala cup they looked different,much different. They were fast team with good teamplay. Here they never understood what Larionov want from team,and Larionov never could explane what he wanted from players. They wanted to play "Soviet hockey" with good puck holding and making plays in OZ. But players looked lost from game with Czech Republic. They didnt know what to do with puck when they had it. They knew they need to be cheerish with the puck,but didnt know why. They tried to start attacks with long passes from DZ to OZ blue line,or they tired to go in OZ through passing game,and when they dont sucseed,they hadnt any other alternative how to come in OZ. Bad game in OZ when guys didnt know what to do and almost only thing they did was giving puck to D and shot from blue line. SOmetimes they managed to make passing game in OZ and create moments. It was few times when Russians got lose and i think they stopped to follow Larionovs tactics and began to play especially in OZ like they want and like,and than they created much more moments. As for me bad game from Russians are Larionovs fault cuz players couldnt follow his tactics,and he couldnt explane what to do and adjust to other teams when his tactics didnt work and bad GK. I really dont know why Askarov get his hype. He is small, yes he plays well low,but whet ppl shot he sits and there are almost empty net above his shoulders everytime.He plays very nervous 2 of 4 goals agaist Canada was on him when he didnt put his glove down fast. So honestly can someone explane to me why ppl thinks he will be next tp 3 or top 5 gk in the world,i dont see it now,hes not bad,but hes not good either hes average.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This is nothing personal against Canadian Thunder but I'm pulling for USA simply for the amount of salt we're gonna see if the Americans actually win. It was bad enough last time. And the meltdown that will be had tonight in the event of USA victory will make Chernobyl look like a well contained, unfortunate event by comparison.

Make no mistake. Canada has worked their ass off and if they win it'll be well deserved. I'm just here for the salt and the memes. We're talking french fries and margaritas for years here boys.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Great job by Groshev!

Used that big body to win a board battle, come out with the puck and put something on net, and a teammate cleans up the rebound. 1-0 Russia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad