Red Sox/MLB 2021 Hot Stove II - RIP: Hank Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You know what the problem with Shaughnessy is? It's the fact that he's capable of writing something good. Once every three years he'll have an article that makes you wonder why he can't do that all the time. It's the fact that he chooses to plagiarize himself constantly and write the same garbage, unoriginal takes. He started clickbait before it became a thing, and he has zero respect for any of his readers.

Hes in his paradise now with both the Pats and Sox being irrelevant. Can now be himself. One thing you can always count on from this guy is to write the smear piece to run a star athlete out of town

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You know what the problem with Shaughnessy is? It's the fact that he's capable of writing something good. Once every three years he'll have an article that makes you wonder why he can't do that all the time. It's the fact that he chooses to plagiarize himself constantly and write the same garbage, unoriginal takes. He started clickbait before it became a thing, and he has zero respect for any of his readers.

When I was a kid, the Globe sports page was incredible. So many good writers, including the CHB before he started mailing it in. Now he just takes old columns and changes the names.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
When I was a kid, the Globe sports page was incredible. So many good writers, including the CHB before he started mailing it in. Now he just takes old columns and changes the names.

Yep I remember always reading the globe sports section, baseball weekly, and beckett baseball card magazine along with collecting baseball cards

Reactions: LSCII

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
You guys are really awful to writers up there. I knew about KPD (which is unfair IMO), and this guy. Is it a case of not what you want to hear?

Ok, so Boston has been the most successful sports city of the 21st century, but if you read or listened to any of the local media, you'd think we were the worst. Literally everything the top media guys do is trying to antagonize Boston sports fans. We still have some writers that I really like (Mike Reiss/Jeff Howe/Doug Kyed for the Patriots, Alex Speier for the Red Sox, and Ty Anderson for the Bruins). The problem is the columnists aren't very good right now, at least compared to when we had great ones like Will McDonough, Peter Gammons, and Bob Ryan.

Personally, the list of writers that I dislike is fairly small: Dan Shaughnessy, John Tomase, Joe Haggerty, and Ron Borges.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Boston is a rabid sports town and has a large college-educated population with liberal arts colleges aplenty. Which is what always shocks me about how trash our sports columnists are. Shank and KPD have talent but are just coasting and pretty much keep their careers alive through trolling. Then you have people like Peter Abraham and Haggs who are incredibly thin-skinned and provide little value yet never lose their jobs despite the fact that pretty much anyone in New England could do it. Then you have the pure evil liars like Tomase.

It's a shame that a market like this can't have good columnists. They had Nick Cafardo but he left us way too soon. The Leigh Montvilles and Will McDonoughs are long gone.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
shank has recycled articles for like 15-20 years now

It's actually been more like 30, tbh. He was a junior reporter when I was a kid, and he was pretty good, but he had to be because they had Gammons as a beat reporter FFS. Leigh Montville, Ray Fitzgerald, Bob Ryan, Larry Whiteside, Lesley Visser, Shank, KDP, Will McDonough, and even Bud Collins. It was literally the best writing on sports in the entire country. If you've never read Montville, man do I miss his stuff.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I bet he’s getting a sweet contract

plus he doesn’t have to worry about living in a city that’s seen a jillion ppl die of covid

I'd do the same if I were him. Why fly halfway across the world only to live in ground zero for an unchecked virus? At least over there, the people follow the precautions and don't piss and moan about it. It's just accepted.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

ok now go check their total Covid death count for the year and compare it to the US death count from just yesterday. There’s about ~1000 person difference. Our total from today and yesterday will surpass their yearly number by a lot. That’s absurd.

they have less people but they are also more population dense. It’s still a complete landslide in favor of Japan when it comes to how either country has handled it. So that begs the question- why on Earth would Tanaka come back to the US right now when he could make similar money (if not more) to play at home in a country that actually has shown they can handle covid a lot better than the US has? Because yes they’re having a little surge right now but I hate to break it to you but that’s been the US for like 2.5 months now.

Sugano made the same decision. There’s no point in playing here if you have an alternative at home that will pay you similarly. Sugano got opt outs in his Japanese deal specifically so he could evaluate the US on a year to year basis. If things are going smoothly it wouldn’t shock me to see him come over

Last edited:

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I didn’t say anything about anyone’s decision to play anywhere but Japan is literally in their worst stage of it right now. They were simply never hit hard by it probably because of immunity not because people “shut up and accepted it”

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I didn’t say anything about anyone’s decision to play anywhere but Japan is literally in their worst stage of it right now. They were simply never hit hard by it probably because of immunity not because people “shut up and accepted it”

they absolutely have a more respectful culture when it comes to stuff like this, they tend to care about others whereas we have about 25-30% of the population (politicians among them) crying about their rights being violated because they can’t breathe on others Willy nilly

there is a reason why their surge is a 25 mph gust of wind compared to our category 4 hurricane. It sucks but they’ll get it under control, and they’ll probably do it in a relatively quick fashion. Def won’t take months and months, that’s for sure!

When you jump into Tanaka’s shoes you can either stay at home or go back to a city that has 5x more deaths than your entire country. I get it from his perspective

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

The Herald was excellent too.

Horgan, Mannix, Shalin....a bunch of others I can’t recall at the moment.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I can't tell if this is real or sarcasm? It's on par with a person ripping on Australia for having a 1000% uptick in covid cases, when they went from like 2 to 6 over the summer.

Japan has had 376K cases total and roughly 5,400 deaths, TOTAL. Are we really talking about the surge there being worse than here? Like seriously?

Reactions: CDJ and 08SeaBass08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad