Reilly Walsh
Colton White
Michael Vukojevic
Yegor Zaitsev
Fabian Zetterlund

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Luke again, I suppose, given the options ;)

But, yeah, it's Mercer.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'd imagine Mercer wins this handily, but I think it's pretty close between him and Holtz still. Holtz obviously didn't have the best D+1 season but I still think his potential impact on our team might be higher. Not to downplay Mercer, his stats in the backhalf of the season were ridiculous and he's a guy that can play in multiple slots throughout the lineup and likely make a big impact.

I think I'll go with Holtz here purely on upside but either makes sense to me. Oh and add Misyul! I'm glad Fitzy included him in the list of defensemen prospects in our system the other day (forget what the question was exactly). Maybe I'm hyping him up too much though lol

Reactions: Nubmer6

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Love Mercer and he’ll be my 3rd pick, but as someone else mentioned, I think Holtz’s potential and future impact/contributions to our team is higher. You can’t teach scoring touch, and Holtz has 40 goal potential and I love his game. His potential is pretty huge, therefore he’s my pick here.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My next vote is going to be Stillman. I think he has good tools and a game that will transfer to the NHL...

I think in 3 years Mercer and Stillman will be the cream of this crop with Hughes just coming into the picture from his time in Michigan.

That's my top 3.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
My next vote is going to be Stillman. I think he has good tools and a game that will transfer to the NHL...

I think in 3 years Mercer and Stillman will be the cream of this crop with Hughes just coming into the picture from his time in Michigan.

That's my top 3.
No Holtz?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm a bit surprised, but I can see it. Are you that high on Stillman or that low in Holtz?
Both. I completely understand the sample size is tiny...but if your claim to fame is goal scoring and you can only produce 1 goal in 10 games in the AHL, I am skeptical...on top of that I don't really like his skating. We'll see how it goes next year but I liked nothing at about his D+1

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Both. I completely understand the sample size is tiny...but if your claim to fame is goal scoring and you can only produce 1 goal in 10 games in the AHL, I am skeptical...on top of that I don't really like his skating. We'll see how it goes next year but I liked nothing at about his D+1
Ya we can hope that his +1 season was an aberration effected by whatever, but it was not good.

Skating is certainly a thing too.

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ya we can hope that his +1 season was an aberration effected by whatever, but it was not good.

Skating is certainly a thing too.
Definitely.

He, as well as a lot of others, definitely have excuses...it was crazy year. Certainly overly stressful for everyone...so maybe you swipe the slate and give it another year.

But I am completely with you on the rankings. Gotta up vote the guys who actually accomplished things this year.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Definitely.

He, as well as a lot of others, definitely have excuses...it was crazy year. Certainly overly stressful for everyone...so maybe you swipe the slate and give it another year.

But I am completely with you on the rankings. Gotta up vote the guys who actually accomplished things this year.
With Holtz I really think COVID affected him and his team. He was also injured and played a looooot this season. SHL regular season and playoffs, WJC all while dealing with COVID and injury issues, and then coming straight to the AHL playing NA hockey for the first time with one of the worst AHL teams. I'm willing to give him a mulligan for this season, hence why he's my 2nd ranked prospect. But I understand your perspective.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Holtz definitely did not have the best D+1 imaginable, though it could have been amazing. He actually started off the year performing well above expectations. He put up 16 points in his first 22 SHL games of the year, which is really really impressive pace. If he could have kept that up, I would be willing to bet he would easily be voted #2 right here. I believe he got injured, though, after game 19 in the SHL, and then he missed some games leading up to the World Juniors tournament. Then during the World Juniors tournament, he reportedly suffered a minor back injury IIRC, and missed one or two games before returning to the lineup for Djurgardens (the World Juniors tournament was up and down for Holtz, but watching all of the Sweden games, him and Lucas Raymond were absolutely sandbagged by having one of the worst centers I have ever seen play on a line with them. I have never seen someone bring a line down as horribly as whoever their center was during that tournament). I didn't watch too many games, but Holtz just did not look right during both the World Juniors and during the rest of his season with Djurgardens. It also didn't help that from January on, Djurgardens was an absolute trainwreck of a team and his linemate William Eklund was injured for some of it. Holtz had his minutes cut to around an average of 12:30 a night from January on, while at the beginning of the year, he was playing an average of around 17:00 a night.

In my opinion, there are three primary reasons for his lackluster 2nd half: a nagging injury (possibly to his back), the mess that is Djurgardens, and Eklund being injured. I would have been willing to bet that if one of these three hadn't happened, he would've had a much better 2nd half, but all of them piled on and Holtz just couldn't get himself going. There were times, though, that Holtz showed why he was pick #7. In his 2nd game against Frolunda in the playoffs, Holtz was utterly dominant alongside Eklund in that game. He was a man on an absolute mission. He put up 2 goals and 2 assists in an elimination game to keep Djurgardens alive, doubling his point total from the last 18 games of the SHL regular season (2). That was by far the best game I have ever seen Holtz play, especially considering the win-or-go-home circumstances. He and Eklund were in complete control the whole game. But that was just one game, and you can't base your opinion on just one game.

Holtz didn't light the world on fire in the AHL either, but I am willing to give him more of a pass because he just played an entire SHL season with nagging injuries and it's his first time playing professional North American hockey and it really just looked like he was trying to dip his toe into the water and get the feel for the North American game. He was also really unlucky. He was shooting at a really good volume and getting into high danger scoring areas pretty consistently, but the puck just wasn't going in. A bout of bad luck along with the other concerns.

It's really hard to judge Holtz's season. We saw how good an uninjured Holtz looked at the beginning of the year, and then we saw how his year ended, and it frankly was just not good. And it's really hard to make out what to think after that season. Holtz is never going to be a play driver, but when he finds chemistry with the right guy (Eklund this past season in Djurgardens), we see just how good he can be. There are areas he needs to improve, namely in his skating, conditioning, and his ability to create offense for himself a little bit more (different from play driving). But based on what I saw of Holtz when he is at his best, which was the first half of his season, there is no doubt that I know Holtz can be a top-line goal-scoring winger. I, like everyone here, am excited and curious to see how he does this year in the AHL.

EDIT: I think he also might have gotten COVID at some point during the season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Holtz definitely did not have the best D+1 imaginable, though it could have been amazing. He actually started off the year performing well above expectations. He put up 16 points in his first 22 SHL games of the year, which is really really impressive pace. If he could have kept that up, I would be willing to bet he would easily be voted #2 right here. I believe he got injured, though, after game 19 in the SHL, and then he missed some games leading up to the World Juniors tournament. Then during the World Juniors tournament, he reportedly suffered a minor back injury IIRC, and missed one or two games before returning to the lineup for Djurgardens (the World Juniors tournament was up and down for Holtz, but watching all of the Sweden games, him and Lucas Raymond were absolutely sandbagged by having one of the worst centers I have ever seen play on a line with them. I have never seen someone bring a line down as horribly as whoever their center was during that tournament). I didn't watch too many games, but Holtz just did not look right during both the World Juniors and during the rest of his season with Djurgardens. It also didn't help that from January on, Djurgardens was an absolute trainwreck of a team and his linemate William Eklund was injured for some of it. Holtz had his minutes cut to around an average of 12:30 a night from January on, while at the beginning of the year, he was playing an average of around 17:00 a night.

In my opinion, there are three primary reasons for his lackluster 2nd half: a nagging injury (possibly to his back), the mess that is Djurgardens, and Eklund being injured. I would have been willing to bet that if one of these three hadn't happened, he would've had a much better 2nd half, but all of them piled on and Holtz just couldn't get himself going. There were times, though, that Holtz showed why he was pick #7. In his 2nd game against Frolunda in the playoffs, Holtz was utterly dominant alongside Eklund in that game. He was a man on an absolute mission. He put up 2 goals and 2 assists in an elimination game to keep Djurgardens alive, doubling his point total from the last 18 games of the SHL regular season (2). That was by far the best game I have ever seen Holtz play, especially considering the win-or-go-home circumstances. He and Eklund were in complete control the whole game. But that was just one game, and you can't base your opinion on just one game.

Holtz didn't light the world on fire in the AHL either, but I am willing to give him more of a pass because he just played an entire SHL season with nagging injuries and it's his first time playing professional North American hockey and it really just looked like he was trying to dip his toe into the water and get the feel for the North American game. He was also really unlucky. He was shooting at a really good volume and getting into high danger scoring areas pretty consistently, but the puck just wasn't going in. A bout of bad luck along with the other concerns.

It's really hard to judge Holtz's season. We saw how good an uninjured Holtz looked at the beginning of the year, and then we saw how his year ended, and it frankly was just not good. And it's really hard to make out what to think after that season. Holtz is never going to be a play driver, but when he finds chemistry with the right guy (Eklund this past season in Djurgardens), we see just how good he can be. There are areas he needs to improve, namely in his skating, conditioning, and his ability to create offense for himself a little bit more (different from play driving). But based on what I saw of Holtz when he is at his best, which was the first half of his season, there is no doubt that I know Holtz can be a top-line goal-scoring winger. I, like everyone here, am excited and curious to see how he does this year in the AHL.

EDIT: I think he also might have gotten COVID at some point during the season.

If I had to guess the reported back injury was worse than he let on. Maybe it finally eased up for his better play in the playoffs. I don’t know what to make of that WJC. The few times he handled the puck at 5 on 5 he looked better than on that terrible power play where Soderstrom would stand there with the puck for about 10 seconds and then throw a slow predictable pass into Holtz’s skates giving the defense and the goalie time to adjust. Awful design and execution.

All that said it wasn’t a great season on balance even if it started out well. Hopefully he’s 100% healthy to start the upcoming season and he gets some insight and mentoring from Bratt on how to play in the North American style of game. I agree with those suggesting he also needs to work on elements of his skating.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Jeez, a lot of people down on Holtz after the D+1. I’d still go with him but would understand the Mercer love.

I think to me it’s that Mercer got better as the season wore on. He was about a PPG guy until the WJC. He goes there and scores almost a PPG against the best players his age in the world while playing a supporting checking role. He returns and basically becomes a 2 PPG guy down the stretch and then keeps it up in the playoffs. Sort of the same trajectory that Smith had his final year of junior. Anybody running analytics on Mercer who doesn’t run them separately for pre and post WJC is using them wrong in my view. If they say he’s a 1.56 PPG guy I think they are doing him a disservice. Guys turn a corner at different times and you have to evaluate those instances differently.

Reactions: nugg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad