GDT: 2021 Free Agent Frenzy

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Little over 15 million in cap space after signing Grubauer, Wennberg, and Schwartz.

Still need to re-sign some of our RFAs too, so I'd imagine we'll be just under $10 million in cap once those are wrapped up. Obviously, there's still the potential for moves to be made, should be interesting to see what happens next.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Still need to re-sign some of our RFAs too, so I'd imagine we'll be just under $10 million in cap once those are wrapped up. Obviously, there's still the potential for moves to be made, should be interesting to see what happens next.
Dunn is the only RFA we sign that is going to make over 1M. Everyone else should be under that amount.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Figured we may be kicking tires on Tatar.

Would be very interesting if we also signed Tatar, as it would give us another top 6 winger and either McCann or Appleton could shift to C until Gourde is healthy. Also lends well to future flexibility in having a forward and a goaltender available in trade.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I saw that coming. The moment seth jones got that extension, Hamilton was gonna ask for at least 9-10m.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Can someone please start a Kraken lineup thread?

I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to see a clear depth chart.

Please and thank you.

Oh....and....go Kraken!

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So... we selected Vanacek over Dillon and today we traded Vanacek back to WSH for a 2nd. Dillon was traded for two 2nds. Why did we take the less valuable asset just to flip it back? As I said, we could have fulfilled our 3 goalie requirement from any team.

We selected MacDermid over Clague/Grundstrom and then flipped him for what will be a very late 4th rounder.

We took Quennville from Chicago and didn't sign him. Today Zadorov's rights were traded for a 3rd. That could have been our 3rd, for free.

We took Bayreuther and didn't sign him. Today he signed back in Columbus. We could have had Stenlund as a pretty solid 4th liner.

I'm content with the roster that we've put together so far, but these moves are simply bad asset management, no matter how you slice it. It shows a lack of planning and it leaves a bad taste.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So... we selected Vanacek over Dillon and today we traded Vanacek back to WSH for a 2nd. Dillon was traded for two 2nds. Why did we take the less valuable asset just to flip it back? As I said, we could have fulfilled our 3 goalie requirement from any team.

We selected MacDermid over Clague/Grundstrom and then flipped him for what will be a very late 4th rounder.

We took Quennville from Chicago and didn't sign him. Today Zadorov's rights were traded for a 3rd. That could have been our 3rd, for free.

We took Bayreuther and didn't sign him. Today he signed back in Columbus. We could have had Stenlund as a pretty solid 4th liner.

I'm content with the roster that we've put together so far, but these moves are simply bad asset management, no matter how you slice it. It shows a lack of planning and it leaves a bad taste.

I get your dissatisfaction over each of the other picks but the Vanecek pick was the right move. An RFA goalie who projected to be good 1B tandem with Driedger. Nobody could have predicted that Grubauer was going to be available, let along sign with us. That was a good move by GMRF as well because he wanted to feel confident about our netminders.

Also, nobody could have predicted that Dillon would return 2 2nd's.

Reactions: Piffle

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I get your dissatisfaction over each of the other picks but the Vanecek pick was the right move. An RFA goalie who projected to be good 1B tandem with Driedger. Nobody could have predicted that Grubauer was going to be available, let along sign with us. That was a good move by GMRF as well because he wanted to feel confident about our netminders.

Also, nobody could have predicted that Dillon would return 2 2nd's.

Eh... I feel like Francis had every opportunity to look at what was available from each team and talk to other GMs about what they might be willing to pay for those pieces. While we couldn't know we'd land Gru, we must have known we were going to be looking in the goalie market. I doubt Francis just woke up today and decided to go goalie shopping. Obviously he was going to be looking to sign one of the many goalies who were signed today regardless. With that in mind, you should always take the best asset available and make the flips and adjustments after the fact. We could have covered the third string goalie option from a number of other teams who had less to choose from.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Eh... I feel like Francis had every opportunity to look at what was available from each team and talk to other GMs about what they might be willing to pay for those pieces. While we couldn't know we'd land Gru, we must have known we were going to be looking in the goalie market. I doubt Francis just woke up today and decided to go goalie shopping. Obviously he was going to be looking to sign one of the many goalies who were signed today regardless. With that in mind, you should always take the best asset available and make the flips and adjustments after the fact. We could have covered the third string goalie option from a number of other teams who had less to choose from.
I am just going to agree to disagree here. Almost every mock I saw, including several on our own board had picked Vanecek. Dillon was not on our list.

Now one thing I can agree with in general is that I don't think GMRF had any interest in getting players from the pure perspective of flipping them (a.k.a. trade value). He just got players who he liked and thought could be part of the team, outside of a few choices. I do think that is not the best way of going about getting assets but it is obvious by now that GMRF's idea of how to build the team is very different than what Vegas did.

Reactions: LokiDog

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
I am just going to agree to disagree here. Almost every mock I saw, including several on our own board had picked Vanecek. Dillon was not on our list.

Now one thing I can agree with in general is that I don't think GMRF had any interest in getting players from the pure perspective of flipping them (a.k.a. trade value). He just got players who he liked and thought could be part of the team, outside of a few choices. I do think that is not the best way of going about getting assets but it is obvious by now that GMRF's idea of how to build the team is very different than what Vegas did.

It’s also just a different environment to what Vegas was in when teams had less experience with an expansion draft. That said, RF could definitely have done more to potentially maximize some assets, but as others have said, I’m still really happy with what we have and the potential of what could still come.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I had Vanacek in every mock I did, but that's because I'm not an NHL GM who has the ability to talk to other GMs about what they're willing to trade. I also believe every mock had Vanacek because it was assumed he and Dreidger would be the tandem. We're in a fine place cap wise, but I'm not sure we needed to sign a 3.5M Driedger to be a backup. Obviously Francis felt Dreidger wasn't good enough or he wouldn't have been looking for another goalie, so why sign him in the first place? Obviously we're quibbling over small potatoes, but there are definitely valid questions regarding the entire thought process.

Also, don't get me wrong - I'm ALL aboard the Grubauer train. He's gonna do great with the D we drafted and I have always liked him. I'm excited we added him. I'm just trying to figure out where Francis' head is. When he signed Dreigder and took Vanacek it was assumed the purpose was for them to be 1/2. Now Dreidger is a, somewhat, high priced #2. I'm just trying to grasp at how much of a plan he has with the selections he made.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It’s also just a different environment to what Vegas was in when teams had less experience with an expansion draft. That said, RF could definitely have done more to potentially maximize some assets, but as others have said, I’m still really happy with what we have and what’s still likely to come.
Right. No way am I letting GMRF off the hook. We have a solid foundation in place and a team that could fight for a playoff spot this year. But I do think if he made some deals from a pure asset acquisition perspective, we could have a few more assets.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Right. No way am I letting GMRF off the hook. We have a solid foundation in place and a team that could fight for a playoff spot this year. But I do think if he made some deals from a pure asset acquisition perspective, we could have a few more assets.

Ya it’s clear RF is a lot more conservative than McPhee, but I’m also willing to see out the rest of the off-season before casting too much judgement. While this team doesn’t look exceptional, neither did Vegas (a lot of people said they were going to be bad) and they surprised everyone with their hot start right out the gate.

The question is how many of the under the radar guys will perform in expanded roles like McNabb, Smith, Marchessault, Karlsson, Schmidt and Theodore did.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad