GDT: 2021 Free Agent Frenzy

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I had Vanacek in every mock I did, but that's because I'm not an NHL GM who has the ability to talk to other GMs about what they're willing to trade. I also believe every mock had Vanacek because it was assumed he and Dreidger would be the tandem. We're in a fine place cap wise, but I'm not sure we needed to sign a 3.5M Driedger to be a backup. Obviously Francis felt Dreidger wasn't good enough or he wouldn't have been looking for another goalie, so why sign him in the first place? Obviously we're quibbling over small potatoes, but there are definitely valid questions regarding the entire thought process.
I think GMRF was always going to hire a 'proven' goalie. It just happened that Grubauer became available and fell in our lap which makes the Driedger signing look questionable.

But that does make Driedger a luxury after this season if Daccord can play well in the AHL and maybe in some call-ups if one of Driedger/Grubauer are injured. That is one thing though that makes all the contracts handed out by GMRF good. Highest AAV on our team is Giordano who is done after this year. Driedger, if he can play well enough this season (and can show he is a legit 1B goalie), should be easy enough to trade at the TDL (this year or next) or in the off-season. Small contract and only a 3.5M cap hit.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ya it’s clear RF is a lot more conservative than McPhee, but I’m also willing to see out the rest of the off-season before casting too much judgement. While this team doesn’t look exceptional, neither did Vegas (a lot of people said they were going to be bad) and they surprised everyone with their hot start right out the gate.

The question is how many of the under the radar guys will perform in expanded roles like McNabb, Smith, Marchessault, Karlsson, Schmidt and Theodore did.

I think there is a chance that one or more of Soucy, Appleton, Geekie, Dunn, Bastion, Jarnkrok do well in bigger roles. Atleast I am hoping.

Reactions: andys

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That has nothing to do with it. They could have taken a goalie from one of the teams like Chicago, Columbus or Philadelphia, from whom they got essentially nothing, (two UFAs we didn't sign and an AHL call up) in order to fulfill the requirement and still taken the more valuable asset from Washington and flipped it for two 2nds.

Bayreuther, our CBJ pick, for instance - just re-signed with CBJ because we didn't even offer him a contract. We could have fulfilled our 3 goalie requirement with whatever G CBJ had exposed, or at least taken a player with RFA rights we might have kept in our system.
And Grubauer signs with Colorado. Then you are going into the season with Driedger and Daccord or Johnson.

If Francis had known he could have signed Grubauer on the day of the expansion draft, then sure, the plan would be different. But you can't gamble like that with Vanecek exposed and the team having no goalies.

And just wait to see what he does with the extra goalie now. Hill got what looks to be a really high second, I anticipate he will get some value somewhere yet.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So... we selected Vanacek over Dillon and today we traded Vanacek back to WSH for a 2nd. Dillon was traded for two 2nds. Why did we take the less valuable asset just to flip it back? As I said, we could have fulfilled our 3 goalie requirement from any team.

We selected MacDermid over Clague/Grundstrom and then flipped him for what will be a very late 4th rounder.
I think the shocking take-away from the Dillon situation is that someone gave up two seconds for him. That was ..... unexpected. He's going to be 31 and Washington got more for him than they traded to acquire him two seasons ago.

As far as Clague goes, I have a feeling he will be available on waivers before the season starts. LA may trade him and prove that he was worth a gamble on from Francis, but guys that need another year or two in the minors that aren't waiver exempt are a headache for the teams that acquire them.

Reactions: andys

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We gave washington back their goalie for a 2nd round 2023 pick (it was orginally jets pick)
Yeah, saw that. Was working and my feed didn't update.

So it turned out to be a gamble that Francis lost. But it was an insurance move for goalie depth.

And if 3 days ago anyone posted on the boards that 31 year old Brenden Dillon, signed at 4 million for 3 more years was going to be traded and return more than Washington originally gave up to acquire him, there would have been a lot of disbelief. I certainly did not expect that to be even remotely possible in the current climate.

WhatsKraken

Jul 28, 2021
Love the acquisitions today, but really dislike that Shwartz contract. 5 years at 5.5..... oooof.

Wouldn’t have minded it either at like 4.5 or a shorter term but what can you do? Hopefully he stays healthy and unlocks another level in his game.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Wouldn’t have minded it either at like 4.5 or a shorter term but what can you do? Hopefully he stays healthy and unlocks another level in his game.
It's going to be ugly in 3 years.

Francis was doing so well staying away from long-term bad deals. I guess the excitement of free agent spending got the better of him :laugh:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yeah. I can't wait for the incoming wave of 'Ha ha .. should have picked Dillon over Vanecek. He would have got you 2 2nd's' posts .. :sarcasm:

Welp it's the end of day 1, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen that....

Meanwhile, I like our new guys despite the main board telling me how bad our team is. We don't have a superstar 1C or 1D, but there never was much chance of that right out of the gate so I am curious to see if this team can be the defensive, pesky, pain in the ass team I'm envisioning. I can live with that over the first couple of seasons.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Well, we got our goalies but still think going make some moves to upgrade center and possibly defense. Defense is close but think if can land pp defenseman they will do it. What needs help is at center and possibly landing an upgrade at wing but it's not as necessary.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I was really hoping we'd get Saad because I love his game, but he isn't what the team needs at this point. If Francis somehow gets us a 1C before the season starts, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I was really hoping we'd get Saad because I love his game, but he isn't what the team needs at this point. If Francis somehow gets us a 1C before the season starts, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Actually 1C that are available are extremely rare and don't just end up on the FA just like that. If a team doesn't want a 1c capable talent they trade them.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Actually 1C that are available are extremely rare and don't just end up on the FA just like that. If a team doesn't want a 1c capable talent they trade them.

Exactly, through trade or drafting are really the only ways of getting a good center. Either a potential #1 or #2

It's why accumulating draft picks and assets are so important. In the Kraken's case, lets hope Beneirs turns out to be a top two center.
However, it sure would be nice to go into next years draft, which projects to be a good one, with more ammunition. But that's been addressed
at length already.

1. A team can add a few draft picks to a potential trade as a sweetener to make acquiring a center happen.
2. With additional picks a team can trade up in the draft to acquire a falling center prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad