Speculation: 2021 Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Unless the plan changes from we are competing to we are rebuilding, there is absolutely 0 chance that the team exposes burns.
I think it'll depend on what happens this offseason, how well they do next season, and when they think Merkley arrives a top 4 defenseman. I still think it would require an enticement to leave Burns un protected though otherwise they are better off just trading him instead of giving him away for free. Even as burns declines he's still a major PP threat. I could see him playing until he's 40 with his work out regime. 3rd pair D, 1st PP trigger for some competitive team. As he slows down he might even focus more on defense and become a great role model for young D coming up on whatever team he's on at that point.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Suppose Seatle offers us fourth overall and a defenseman to be named later to expose burns. We would have to consider it, especially if cap is at 82 million
No. 4th overall means nothing to a team that is trying to compete right now.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
No. 4th overall means nothing to a team that is trying to compete right now.

That may be true, but if the cap is flat for the next 3 years, we may NEED to move out one of the highest salaries. Getting a potential star (top five pick) on an ELC is one of the best ways to mitigate the eventual decline in play of the high paid Vets. Burns is an option to move that they could explore. Leaving unprotected as part of a larger deal just adds a 4th team to consider from his 3 team trade list. DW would, if looking to move him, take the best return he could get (at least he should).

I think it'll depend on what happens this offseason, how well they do next season, and when they think Merkley arrives a top 4 defenseman. I still think it would require an enticement to leave Burns un protected though otherwise they are better off just trading him instead of giving him away for free. Even as burns declines he's still a major PP threat. I could see him playing until he's 40 with his work out regime. 3rd pair D, 1st PP trigger for some competitive team. As he slows down he might even focus more on defense and become a great role model for young D coming up on whatever team he's on at that point.

I agree with this. I really don't foresee Burns turning into a non-NHL player over the remainder of his contract (even at 40). I believe he will remain worth the money for the next two seasons, but after that may decline some (but still be value added, just bit overpaid).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If there is 1 player that needs to go to remove salary it is vlasic, his contract has been a problem since the day he signed it and will only get worse as the years go on.

Burns contract i don't see even coming close to as bad as vlasics contract is right now even when burns turns 40. Vlasic is this teams seabrook.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Suppose Seatle offers us fourth overall and a defenseman to be named later to expose burns. We would have to consider it, especially if cap is at 82 million

That wouldn’t happen but Doug would be crazy not to do that. 4th overall for an aging Burns and 8MM of cap relief? Merkley could take his place at that point. Where do we sign?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If you've ever heard him speak publicly, I am not sure his life can be any more miserable than his tone makes it appear now.

Then make his hockey life miserable also. Play him 10 minutes a game, give him only ice time with the 4th line. Don't give him pk time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That wouldn’t happen but Doug would be crazy not to do that. 4th overall for an aging Burns and 8MM of cap relief? Merkley could take his place at that point. Where do we sign?

Merkely can take over 1st pairing minutes next season? We really want to rush this kid to the nhl don't we.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Merkely can take over 1st pairing minutes next season? We really want to rush this kid to the nhl don't we.

Umm, the expansion draft isn’t scheduled until summer 2021 unless something has changed. So he could actually play next season with the Cuda..maybe get a couple of games with the big club too depending on his performance.

Also, Karlsson would continue to take 1st pairing minutes for the foreseeable future regardless of what happens to Burns. Merkley, Burns, and EK are all RHD. We could sign a cheap UFA to round out the right side and add a top six forward with the cap savings....Getting the 4th overall pick on top of that? Again, where do we sign?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It also might mean no team would accept taking him back. If he doesnt play hes not going to get lots of offers
Someone will take him. Just might require enticement to get something back. Retaining 1 or 2 mil also make it easier especially if his replacement is on a cheap ELC.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Idk man, when MTL was interested they were watching like all our games. The current performance clearly matters
From the story they didn't lose interest, the Sharks lost interest in moving him. That was back when they started to turn it around and got to (almost?) .500. Like I said, depending on salary retention and any other enticement, Vlasic is still moveable.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
IMO I think most players don't actually mind waiving the NTC. If they are told they aren't wanted, most probably would be happy leaving. It's possible that the main advantage of having the NTC is just that you get to say where you go next.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad