Speculation: 2021 Entry Draft Talk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I did the FC simulator for a couple of rounds for the first time and walked away with:

5. Power
29. Svechkov
37. Dean
48. Mailloux
53. Buium
69. Johnston
92. Dach

Something is really off with this thing.
Simulators just use draft rankings, they never seem to be accurate past the first round. I remember Tankathon had all of the goalies except Askarov going to the third round last draft, 2 of them got picked in the second round.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It would cost quite a lot, probably Vrana like you suggested. The difference between the type of player you draft at 6 vs 1 and the cost to make that upgrade would be huge. With the draft being as wide open as it is I don't think it makes sense to trade up this year. For example, Dom from the Atheletic has the 1st overall pick being worth 17.7 GSVA while the 6th is 7.6. When I looked at draft picks from the a war perspective I found that that the 1st overall pick would produce on average 66% more value than the 6th overall; 2 Wins per season for the 1st overall and 1.2 for the 6th.

How do most people feel about Dylan Guenther and Brandt Clarke? I think either would be my choice at #1 right now, with the edge going to Guenther due to him being a F. If we could get either at say 4-8 I'd be ecstatic. It'll be interesting to see how the U18 shapes opinions as the event can be quite noisy in terms of productiveness.

I just did my first mock draft of the year with FC simulator and ended up with this:

5. Dylan Guenther (W)
29. Oskar Olausson (W)
37. Fyodor Svechkov (C/W)
48. Sasha Pastujov (W)
53. Ryan Ufko (D)
69. Ayrton Martino (W)
92. Alexander Kisakov (W)
101. Ville Koivunen (W)
127. Cameron Whynot (D)
130. Jacob Guevin (D)
133. Ethan Cardwell (C) (Overage, DY+1)
165. Zakhar Vinogradov (G)

While the simulator doesn't really work after the top 100 I'd be ecstatic with that sort of draft. I don't have a top 30 created yet, but I imagine that everyone picked from 5-92 will be in it. The other thing is that while the top of the draft seems pretty deep in defenceman it doesn't seem like the draft is really full of that many dmen worth drafting early on. I definitely think the forward depth outshines the D.

If that was the draft we walked away with I'd be through the roof. I'd just try to find a way to sneak Josh Doan into our 3rd round pick if he's available then. That's a really strong group in our top 5 picks.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
say bettman ' decides ' we draft 6th . what adds to the 6th would it take to get the 1st ? would vrana , the 6th and caps 1st work ?
Bettman has no say where we draft. Ernst & Young audit the process and their entire business model is based on integrity, just lookup Arthur Andersen. Plus their revenue from the NHL is chump change for the Big 4 accounting firms.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Bettman has no say where we draft. Ernst & Young audit the process and their entire business model is based on integrity, just lookup Arthur Andersen. Plus their revenue from the NHL is chump change for the Big 4 accounting firms.
i dont trust the u.s. government any more , ernie n young whatever . and why is it done in the backroom

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
i dont trust the u.s. government any more , ernie n young whatever . and why is it done in the backroom

I’ll address both of these things at once considering I’ve worked for a CPA firm and know many people who work/worked for them (including EY). Arthur Andersen’s scandal has not completely stopped things from being treated a bit liberally when it comes to ethics. That being said, there’s very little incentive for EY to manipulate the lottery drawing for the NHL.

It’s in a closed room because their job is not to make everything public and transparent, it’s to make it controlled. Teams are aware of how things are done in terms of the lottery.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
US government? Ernst & Young isn’t a government entity, it’s an accounting firm that provides consulting and auditing services. The reason it’s behind closed doors as Hen Kolland has said is for a controlled environment. It’s all about mitigating risk. Do they screw up from time to time, yeah but they’re not going to purposely fix the lottery. Like I said their business model is based on integrity and usually the screw ups are going to be sampling errors or not understanding the process thoroughly. I can’t speak about the individuals in the room but just from experience as I’ve worked in that field for risk assurance (IT) for multiple years.

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
The more games the Red Wings win, the more and more interested I am in Chaz Lucius. A pure goal scoring center who would be a great piece to play with wingers who like to hang on to the puck and make plays. Such as Raymond and Berggren.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
Just did tankathon 10x and let me tell you the wings moved up from 7 to 5 one time other than that they stayed or dropped the other 9

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Just did tankathon 10x and let me tell you the wings moved up from 7 to 5 one time other than that they stayed or dropped the other 9

Dropping down seems about right. We have no lotto luck and that will NOT change, mark my words and book it we WILL drop down again.

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
The more games the Red Wings win, the more and more interested I am in Chaz Lucius. A pure goal scoring center who would be a great piece to play with wingers who like to hang on to the puck and make plays. Such as Raymond and Berggren.

Being as bad as the Red Wings are this year, and ending up with a prospect like Lucius to show for it, would be pretty dreadful.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
In our current position, we only have a 13.3 % of moving up so your sampling is pretty accurate of what’re looking at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad