Speculation: 2021 Entry Draft Talk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel so underwhelmed by the forwards this draft in general

I think i'd rather have Clarke than any of them if Power/Hughes/Edvinsson are gone even with the whole RHD thing

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To be fair, most kids would look like a poor man’s Raymond if they were being benchmarked against Raymond. Raymond is really a damn good prospect.

I could deal with Lysell outside of the top 5.

To me it would feel like picking Alex Nylander after picking William Nylander on your team. Their games are incredibly similar but there isn't that "the sky is the limit" potential that Raymond has.

Also factor in that Lysell is an even bigger crap shoot after having played even less than Raymond. He doesn't have a great U20 resume, doesn't have much ice time in the SHL to analyze, and doesn't have a dominant WJC performance to speak of.

I'm not one to stress size in building a team, but we have Zadina now, Berggren and Raymond incoming between next season and the season after that. Assuming that doesn't change, do we want to add another sub 5'11" and sub 185lbs winger to this group?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To me it would feel like picking Alex Nylander after picking William Nylander on your team. Their games are incredibly similar but there isn't that "the sky is the limit" potential that Raymond has.

Also factor in that Lysell is an even bigger crap shoot after having played even less than Raymond. He doesn't have a great U20 resume, doesn't have much ice time in the SHL to analyze, and doesn't have a dominant WJC performance to speak of.

I'm not one to stress size in building a team, but we have Zadina now, Berggren and Raymond incoming between next season and the season after that. Assuming that doesn't change, do we want to add another sub 5'11" and sub 185lbs winger to this group?

Just hold off judgement for another 2 weeks when Lysell plays a prominent role for Sweden’s U18 team in Texas. I think he will be a potential late surge guy.

And yes, I want to add the best talent. I’m not worried about redundancy. Look at what Tampa is built on.

Kucherov is listed at 5’11 178
Point at 5’10 166
Johnson at 5’8 183
Gourde at 5’9 172
Barre-Boulet 5’9 172

Coleman, Palat, and Cirelli are all around 5’11 to 6’0 and no more than 200 lbs.

Zadina is closer to being the size of Stamkos than he is to the random measurements you listed. He’s 6’0 189. You have Larkin, Ras, Veleno down the middle who all have prototypical or better size. We aren’t really undersized. But we are extremely under skilled.

I’d rather build on the foundation that I have a bunch of players who are more skilled and gifted than the opponent. Skill wins in this modern NHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Just hold off judgement for another 2 weeks when Lysell plays a prominent role for Sweden’s U18 team in Texas. I think he will be a potential late surge guy.

And yes, I want to add the best talent. I’m not worried about redundancy. Look at what Tampa is built on.

Point at 5’10 166
Johnson at 5’8 183
Gourde at 5’9 172
Barre-Boulet 5’9 172

Coleman, Palat, and Cirelli are all around 5’11 to 6’0 and no more than 200 lbs.

Zadina is closer to being the size of Stamkos than he is to the random measurements you listed. He’s 6’0 189. You have Larkin, Ras, Veleno down the middle who all have prototypical or better size. We aren’t really undersized. But we are extremely under skilled.

I’d rather build on the foundation that I have a bunch of players who are more skilled and gifted than the opponent. Skill wins in this modern NHL.

I'll reserve judgement on Lysell until the U18 tournament, but at face value right now I'm not a fan of the potential pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This is all pretty much how I feel about Eklund as well though, to a degree.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is all pretty much how I feel about Eklund as well though, to a degree.

My feelings exactly. I am not itching to draft Lysell, but I agree that he is part of a tier that I hope you are picking in. After that tier things really start to get depressing for an organization in our position.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
My feelings exactly. I am not itching to draft Lysell, but I agree that he is part of a tier that I hope you are picking in. After that tier things really start to get depressing for an organization in our position.

All the more reason to focus on goalie and defense with the early pick.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
All the more reason to focus on goalie and defense with the early pick.

I personally would take the big four defensemen before him, but I am not going to act like Lysell projects as a fourth liner. He is reasonable in that 7-13ish range.

You can have the goalies. I would take one late in the first but I would never take one as early as some want.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
talent differential is not worth that between 1-6 this year. Just pick 6

I mean, if Yzerman thinks for example that Power is a legit top pairing defenseman and he doesn't love what he's looking at at #6, I don't mind him picking up the phone. These deals rarely actually pan out, but the price this year might not be so outrageous. Things would really depend on which team wins the lottery.

More than anything this team really needs surefire talent, so if Yzerman thought that Power and Seider could be our top pairing for a decade I wouldn't mind him paying a premium to make that happen. Of course I'm just speculating though.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I would really like to see Central Scoutings player rankings. I know they won’t release them until the bitter end however. Where is the listings from ISS? Elite Prospects doesn’t even list them this year

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
This draft is such a crapshoot that i don't care who we pick. We may draft some noname dude and he can become best player of the draft. So many players so little exposure. But i think that Beniers is overrated af.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
yzergod making the mantha trade for another 1st 2021 is a signal to me he likes this draft condition , and im thinking he very well may add another 1st

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
yzergod making the mantha trade for another 1st 2021 is a signal to me he likes this draft condition , and im thinking he very well may add another 1st
Watching various Yzerman interviews doesn't give me the sense that they are thrilled with the draft crop or with their chances to properly evaluate that talent before the draft in July. Instead, I have a feeling that they are accumulating picks simply to get more "kicks at the can" and hope that one or two of their 8 of the top 100 picks is a solid hit.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Holy confirmation bias. You’re obsessed with the idea of adding another 1st round pick this year. The reality is much more likely that Washington had no interest in trading next years first in what is considered a much deeper draft overall and one of the deepest down the middle in years.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
say bettman ' decides ' we draft 6th . what adds to the 6th would it take to get the 1st ? would vrana , the 6th and caps 1st work ?

It would cost quite a lot, probably Vrana like you suggested. The difference between the type of player you draft at 6 vs 1 and the cost to make that upgrade would be huge. With the draft being as wide open as it is I don't think it makes sense to trade up this year. For example, Dom from the Atheletic has the 1st overall pick being worth 17.7 GSVA while the 6th is 7.6. When I looked at draft picks from the a war perspective I found that that the 1st overall pick would produce on average 66% more value than the 6th overall; 2 Wins per season for the 1st overall and 1.2 for the 6th.

How do most people feel about Dylan Guenther and Brandt Clarke? I think either would be my choice at #1 right now, with the edge going to Guenther due to him being a F. If we could get either at say 4-8 I'd be ecstatic. It'll be interesting to see how the U18 shapes opinions as the event can be quite noisy in terms of productiveness.

I just did my first mock draft of the year with FC simulator and ended up with this:

5. Dylan Guenther (W)
29. Oskar Olausson (W)
37. Fyodor Svechkov (C/W)
48. Sasha Pastujov (W)
53. Ryan Ufko (D)
69. Ayrton Martino (W)
92. Alexander Kisakov (W)
101. Ville Koivunen (W)
127. Cameron Whynot (D)
130. Jacob Guevin (D)
133. Ethan Cardwell (C) (Overage, DY+1)
165. Zakhar Vinogradov (G)

While the simulator doesn't really work after the top 100 I'd be ecstatic with that sort of draft. I don't have a top 30 created yet, but I imagine that everyone picked from 5-92 will be in it. The other thing is that while the top of the draft seems pretty deep in defenceman it doesn't seem like the draft is really full of that many dmen worth drafting early on. I definitely think the forward depth outshines the D.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Point at 5’10 166
Johnson at 5’8 183
Gourde at 5’9 172
Barre-Boulet 5’9 172

Better yet, look at a certain 2008 cup champion roster. Detroit fans yelling about size is a little funny.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I hope Lysell jumps in the rankings and is taken in the 6-8 range. I think we will draft in the 9-12 range. I have a pretty constant top 9 which includes the goalie. I will even get behind the goalie choice if we take him 9-12. Lysell going early would help

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
What do you guys think about waiting till the Washington pick and trying to snap up whichever of Cossa/Wallstedt drop (if Washington doesnt make a run at least)? I mean, how often are two goalies taken before the 25th pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad