Prospect Info: 2021 Entry Draft #60 - Janis Moser (D)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, somebody was gonna do it. Far too early though. Don't think he's NHL material. At all. Happy for the kid if I'm wrong but I see him as more of the kind of guy doing well in this particular environment in Biel. Nice late bloomer story but he's soft, small and doesn't have elite hands or offensive instincts. He can play solid hockey but I don't think that's enough to stick in the NHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, somebody was gonna do it. Far too early though. Don't think he's NHL material. At all. Happy for the kid if I'm wrong but I see him as more of the kind of guy doing well in this particular environment in Biel. Nice late bloomer story but he's soft, small and doesn't have elite hands or offensive instincts. He can play solid hockey but I don't think that's enough to stick in the NHL.
The Coyotes have been all over him all year. Rumors going back even further than the Jaskin rumors.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He is older. What do you guys like about him? Rt says he’s a coyote this year. Why do you think so? How come he didn’t go sooner? I know nothing about this player.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He is older. What do you guys like about him? Rt says he’s a coyote this year. Why do you think so? How come he didn’t go sooner? I know nothing about this player.

Again, nice late bloomer story. Had a fantastic season, playing really well at the highest level in Switzerland. Led Biel in ice time and was their 1D. I just don't see a role for him in the NHL because he's small, soft and lacking elite talent. I could see him struggle even playing for a different team in Europe. I think he's just a case of a player player very well in this particular environment in Biel. Happy to be wrong but I just fail to see the upside with Moser.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Again, nice late bloomer story. Had a fantastic season, playing really well at the highest level in Switzerland. Led Biel in ice time and was their 1D. I just don't see a role for him in the NHL because he's small, soft and lacking elite talent. I could see him struggle even playing for a different team in Europe. I think he's just a case of a player player very well in this particular environment in Biel. Happy to be wrong but I just fail to see the upside with Moser.

I mean he certainly has some skills, he is a good skater and puck mover and has a very good outlet pass and a good hockey iq in general. Makes very few mistakes in his own zone too. But he is definitley a dimunitive player as you pointed out and I am not sure about his offensive upside either, especially his shot seems lacking, even if it has improved some this season. I do feel like he has NHL potential for the lower pairings, but only if he can ad some wieight and thougen up his game a bit.

Reactions: Hinterland

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I see him as a possible Oesterle replacement this year. Not saying that is his potential, just his roster position. Ghost is the Goligoski swap IMO. He even plays the right side.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean he certainly has some skills, he is a good skater and puck mover and has a very good outlet pass and a good hockey iq in general. Makes very few mistakes in his own zone too. But he is definitley a dimunitive player as you pointed out and I am not sure about his offensive upside either, especially his shot seems lacking, even if it has improved some this season. I do feel like he has NHL potential for the lower pairings, but only if he can ad some wieight and thougen up his game a bit.

That's what I meant. Lacking elite offensive talent. As you pointed out in the draft subforums, creating offense is much more difficult in the NHL and I don't think he has the tools to really do it there on a consistent basis. For a 3rd pairing defensemen, he's far too small and soft for my liking. Maybe the Coyotes have a different opinion and I'd be happy to see him stick but the truth is that these type of players don't tend to stick. There's usually no role for soft guys without elite offensive upside.

Reactions: Speyer

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Well atleast one german speaking player on this team ;)

Lets make it two by signing Kühnhackl or Rieder :naughty:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
That's what I meant. Lacking elite offensive talent. As you pointed out in the draft subforums, creating offense is much more difficult in the NHL and I don't think he has the tools to really do it there on a consistent basis. For a 3rd pairing defensemen, he's far too small and soft for my liking. Maybe the Coyotes have a different opinion and I'd be happy to see him stick but the truth is that these type of players don't tend to stick. There's usually no role for soft guys without elite offensive upside.

Yeah I am quite sceptical about Moser as well as you saw in his prospect-thread. I will say however, that I never thought he could improve this much a year ago. With the NHL getting less physical every year he might carve out a niche for himself as a less physcial defensive minded dman. It will be interesting to see what the Coyotes will do with him next. I think a bit of seasoning in Europe would be certainly good for him. The AHL however would probably not be the best developmental path for him regarding his shortcomings.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah I am quite sceptical about Moser as well as you saw in his prospect-thread. I will say however, that I never thought he could improve this much a year ago. With the NHL getting less physical every year he might carve out a niche for himself as a less physcial defensive minded dman. It will be interesting to see what the Coyotes will do with him next. I think a bit of seasoning in Europe would be certainly good for him. The AHL however would probably not be the best developmental path for him regarding his shortcomings.

I agree. He surprised everybody this season. Nice late bloomer story. But as I stated already, I think it works for him in that particular environment. I'm not even sure he'f be able to keep up his lvl elsewhere in Switzerland or Europe, let alone on smaller ice in the AHL or even NHL. Hope I'm wrong and it wouldn't be the first time of him proving people wrong...but I'm sceptical. I just don't see it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Already played 3 years against men, should end up being Bush's partner on the 3rd pair.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I need to reword myself. Moser’s scoring hasn’t just been tremendous. It’s been historical. Not only did Moser rank seventh among all defencemen in the league but throughout the league’s history, only one defenceman under the age of 21 has scored more points than Moser’s 26 through 43 games. That accolade belongs to Yannick Rathgeb, who scored one more point in seven more games. In fact, since the 1990s, only one National League defenceman (>10 games played) has scored at a higher point-per-game pace than Moser. That defenceman is Roman Josi. What’s more, no NL defenceman under-21 has recorded more assists than Moser did this season.

He not only shattered expectations, but he also scored at a level only matched by famous late-bloomer John Klingberg. Klingberg is now his team’s star defenceman and has received Norris Trophy-votes in two of his seven years in the league. He’s also developed into a terrific scorer, with a career-high of 67 points in the 2017-18 season.

I ranked Janis Moser in my Top 50. He might be worth an even higher pick. A smart GM in need of immediate help on their NHL blueline should do everything in their power to get him onto their team.

Janis Jérôme Moser is Both NHL-Ready and 2021 NHL Draft Eligible

Reactions: Heldig

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He's 6' not a small offensive guy. He didn't get drafted because he had no offense as a prospect. Suddenly that changed.

If last year wasn't a fluke he's an NHL level player. This was a smart pick; even if there's some gamble to it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So glad NHL uniforms don't look like this hot mess.

upload_2021-7-25_3-57-5.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad