Prospect Info: 2021 Entry Draft #223 - Sam Lipkin (LW)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I had already gone out to do yardwork when the Mutts slipped in to trade for this pick. Dang them.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Cool. Guess they like him! Going to a good program.
I wouldn't say Quinnipac is in the upper tier of college programs in terms of producing NHL talent. However, I'd much rather take a guy bound for the NCAA over the CHL later in the draft because of the control over them and the ability to just allow them to develop for the next couple of years before we have to do anything w them.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wouldn't say Quinnipac is in the upper tier of college programs in terms of producing NHL talent. However, I'd much rather take a guy bound for the NCAA over the CHL later in the draft because of the control over them and the ability to just allow them to develop for the next couple of years before we have to do anything w them.
They produced Devon Toews and Connor Clifton in recent years. It’s a good program. We had a kid drafted today going to a school in Vermont I’ve never heard of.

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
They produced Devon Toews and Connor Clifton in recent years. It’s a good program. We had a kid drafted today going to a school in Vermont I’ve never heard of.
You've never heard of the University of Vermont?

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
Of course. Catamounts. Top program. Martin St Louis. When I checked the EP draft profile after that selection they had the wrong school in there. Vermont Univeristy with a maple leafs logo.
Ah okay, wasn't trying to get into an argument.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Quinnipac normally goes for a lot of overagers from junior leagues. He'll probably have to put in a lot of work to compete for a spot, should be interesting to see how that goes

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
With the exception of Harvard and maybe Cornell, which can compete with places like the Boston schools and the NCHC and Big 10/12/6 schools for the top tier 17-year-olds, that is the philosophy of most of the ECAC programs.

Rather than committing to players early, they tend to sign players when they are older and are willing to stay for four years.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
It looks like this kid made the world junior team. Could this guy be a late round steal?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It looks like this kid made the world junior team. Could this guy be a late round steal?
Yes.

IIRC, he may have been injured or between USHL and college development and only had limited time with the Steel in his draft eligible yr. I also think there is a story going around (not sure of the authenticity, but it would make sense): since Josh Doan played for the Steel, he got to see Sam in practice, play with him when he was healthy, etc. and advocated for the team to get him late. That was why the trade for the pick was so late in the draft and kind of unexpected.

Right now a PPG player for QU. Has a 5 point game. Two games with 4 assists (one v Yale in a 4-0 win). Looks like we got someone who might turn out. Follows in footsteps of Garland, Maccelli, Jenik, Dineen, or McCartney that we are finding players outside of the top 60-70 and turning into reasonable chances to contribute in NHL.

Reactions: Ebbisen

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes.

IIRC, he may have been injured or between USHL and college development and only had limited time with the Steel in his draft eligible yr. I also think there is a story going around (not sure of the authenticity, but it would make sense): since Josh Doan played for the Steel, he got to see Sam in practice, play with him when he was healthy, etc. and advocated for the team to get him late. That was why the trade for the pick was so late in the draft and kind of unexpected.

Right now a PPG player for QU. Has a 5 point game. Two games with 4 assists (one v Yale in a 4-0 win). Looks like we got someone who might turn out. Follows in footsteps of Garland, Maccelli, Jenik, Dineen, or McCartney that we are finding players outside of the top 60-70 and turning into reasonable chances to contribute in NHL.
I think the same scout that advocated for AZ to take Josh as early as they did also liked Lipkin and pushed BA to trade to acquire another pick in the 7th round to take him (which is how this actually played out). I believe we traded the 7th rounder we also received for taking Gostibehere to get a 7th rounder in this draft to take Lipkin. Someone will correct me if my brain is malfunctioning.

Edit: I was right. The picks we received for taking Gostibehere are Duda and Lipkin. We traded a 7th rounder in 2022 for a 7th rounder in 2021 to specifically select Lipkin.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not to totally derail, but that Ghost trade is still bonkers to me. Even crazier is almost the entire Flyers fan base new what would happen.

Reactions: YotesFan47

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think the same scout that advocated for AZ to take Josh as early as they did also liked Lipkin and pushed BA to trade to acquire another pick in the 7th round to take him (which is how this actually played out). I believe we traded the 7th rounder we also received for taking Gostibehere to get a 7th rounder in this draft to take Lipkin. Someone will correct me if my brain is malfunctioning.

Edit: I was right. The picks we received for taking Gostibehere are Duda and Lipkin. We traded a 7th rounder in 2022 for a 7th rounder in 2021 to specifically select Lipkin.
Gotcha - for some reason, I had it in my head that Josh was actually telling people that he was surprised that Lipkin still hadn't been taken.

He says something to dad, dad talks to scout, agrees and voila...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Reading through this thread was really interesting. This kid looked great tonight. He really battles all over the ice and has a surprising amount of skill. I haven't seen Doan play at this level yet, but they have similar games.

Not bad. The 3rd this year is just the cherry on top.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad