• Josh Lopina

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the sixth poll, I am voting for Henry Thrun.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2021 Ducks Prospect Rankings
1. C - Trevor Zegras (no change)
2. D - Jamie Drysdale (no change)
3. C - Mason McTavish (1st year)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (-1)
5. RW - Jacob Perreault (no change)

Our notable graduates and departures are:

Max Comtois
Isac Lundestrom
Antoine Morand
Jack Kopacka
Matthew Hill​

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Torn here between Thrun, Lacombe, Zellweger, Tracey, Pastujov, and Colangelo. Ultimately went with Thrun but really see a ton of prospects as justifiable. Either way, a very deep pool with legit upside all throughout the top 10 and beyond

Reactions: Swedenheim

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Torn between Pastujov and Zellweger.
Ultimately went with the former because he has a skill set that can’t be taught and I want to see more of a sample size of Zellweger dominating the WHL before I get my hopes up too much.

Reactions: Boo Boo

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The amount of recency bias here is rather crazy to me

LaCombe for me. His numbers as a sophomore are very encouraging.

I could understand Zellwegger being in the discussion here but don’t really get the Pastujov mentions. Yes he’s promising but he’s not a top 6 prospect on this team right now. Some pretty big question marks and things to prove

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Pastujov has an elite shot and Zellweger has elite skating.
The rest aren't elite at anything ?

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I mean probably but these polls always seem to be full of people taking literally only this past season into account, which I think is a bit ridiculous
Yeah Thrun is a definite top 10 guy for me but I think LaCombe may have passed him imo due to his impressive progress and performance in the back half of his season. Thrun was my second favorite pick from 2019

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wouldn't say Zellweger or Pastujov are completely recency bias, the Ducks drafted the highest they have in each round in such a long long time,
it just happen that they were able to get a guy in the 2nd round they would have not gotten in years past and the same with the Pastujov pick.

Look at the 2019 draft:
The Senators, Kings and Flyers in the 2nd round had the first 3 picks of that round so the Ducks missed out on Pinto, Kaliyev and Brink
Now in the 2020 draft the first four picks of the 2nd round included Wallinder, Peterka and Grans. Ducks missed out on them.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Thrun is a great prospect, and I will most likely pick him over LaCombe.
But this here is Zellweger for me. Outside of Drysdale we haven't picked a defenseman with that high of a pick for some while and it sounds like our management is excited to have him. And really, all the numbers back it up – he really can produce. Plus he's super early birthday, he was 5 days away from being ineligible for this draft.
I will go with Olen here, I think this will be a huge year for him, first of many.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
This is the point where the votes start to spread. I could understand voting for a number of players. Zellweger, Pastujov, Thrun, LaCombe, Tracy, even Groulx. You could make a case for any of them. I went with Zellweger but I could have picked another player tomorrow. The hockey IQ and skating he has are amazing and I feel like he has the highest potential, although he is not the likeliest player to reach it.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I mean probably but these polls always seem to be full of people taking literally only this past season into account, which I think is a bit ridiculous
Imo every pick is a roll of the dice so every pick has potential to be great. After a year or two if you are just playing okay then you probably wont be great. Still may be a solid nhler but unlikely to be a massive success. 1st year guys stoll have that chance.

Perfect example is Perreault outplaying Tracey. Tracey was in a bad spot and ive heard he made some improvements but it is probably very unlikely he ever becomes and njl all star. Perreault on the other hand is totally outplaying where he was picked and srill has star potential.

Same with Dostal, Drysdale and Zegras after 1 year.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Lacombe made some improvements, but looking just at the WJC (which is the only place I saw either play), Thrun was clearly the more advanced, and more trusted d-man between the two. He certainly isn’t done improving either.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Lacombe made some improvements, but looking just at the WJC (which is the only place I saw either play), Thrun was clearly the more advanced, and more trusted d-man between the two. He certainly isn’t done improving either.

And wasn't Thrun playing his off-side at WJC too?

I think I have the opposite of recency bias... I like Thrun because he's shown a little more.

Reactions: ADHB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad