Post-Game Talk: 2021 Draft - Part 5

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Am I wrong for thinking this draft suggests Ottawa is still banking on Brown turning into a productive player?

I don’t see the connection. These players are 3-5 years away. They weren’t coming for Browns job anytime soon. You’ll know if they have a plan to give Brown his chance in the next few months with trades and signings, not drafting 18 year olds who aren’t close.

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Am I wrong for thinking this draft suggests Ottawa is still banking on Brown turning into a productive player?

After all the development time put into the kid, and taking up a protection slot in the expansion draft, I should hope so. It would be pretty disappointing to let him walk now or to trade him for a mid round pick.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On a different note -
The notion that we drafted “cheap” players is misguided. Anderson and Wilson types make more money than Hoffman types. Good hockey players get paid.

Hard to say, Hoffman has more than Double Anderson's career earnings so far, and we don't know what his next contract looks like yet. Wilson has earned a bit less but will catch up. All that said, Hoffman's % of cap hit on his best contract was higher than either Wilson or Anderson's.

They are all in the same ballpark, so I agree with the point that good players get paid, regardless of style of play.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hard to say, Hoffman has more than Double Anderson's career earnings so far, and we don't know what his next contract looks like yet. Wilson has earned a bit less but will catch up. All that said, Hoffman's % of cap hit on his best contract was higher than either Wilson or Anderson's.

They are all in the same ballpark, so I agree with the point that good players get paid, regardless of style of play.

Agreed … and no one is trading either player for Hoffman.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed … and no one is trading either player for Hoffman.
Which kind of suggests that offense first gets paid more for what they bring in terms of contribution towards winning, no? Wasn't that the general point people were getting at, you pay less salary for equivalent value players when their contribution isn't primarily offensive numbers?

And, to be fair, Hoffman is 3 years older an on the downswing of his career, he's also a UFA so hard to trade for him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
When it’s said that we went way off the board, keep in mind that this year’s “board” is totally f***ed up.

The only ranking that matters is the senators ranking.
Trent Mann said they had a ranked list of over 200 players. That’s pretty in depth.
They likely know more than the people putting together those predictive rank lists and mock drafts.

So...don’t go by those lists.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021

Pretty much confirms what a lot of posters said already . They targeted big bodies that can skate and filled positions of need ... They reached on most of them because they didn't want to miss on them. Covid clearly did play a role on how things went down with this draft.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Trent Mann wants a team that’s big, skates fasts and wants to score and has skill on the backend to support and start the play. Sens are going to be a load this season and they’ll only get bigger and stronger, better and when they can feel a Cup run the character will focus the team and get them to fight for every square inch of ice.

Remember when Boro had to take a few games off because he was fighting so much and in back to back games took on Reeves and another true Heavyweight. Big teams take more attention then skilled teams, they weigh on your conscious more, you worry at night. They stand out on the season calendar. Sens are coming at the league fast, remind me of the Sens the year after they made the playoffs for the first time and no one really knew how good they were or the pieces they had coming - this team is just as good two way but bigger, and that’ll settle any notion anywhere in the NHL the Sens are for real and scary.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Trent Mann drafts people, not players. I think that’s clear now. He goes for workers, lovers of the game and good people. Stats and scouting reports mean nothing to him, character above all else.

Trent Mann is a stud

Yes! We're a team...

... that finishes low in the standings :sarcasm:

Senators' 2021 NHL Draft picks: Grades, fit and full scouting reports

Clearly not everyone is sold on "Every guy we picked has a realistic shot at being an NHLer". I hope the pandemic wildcard of a lot of these kids not playing much in their draft years turns in our favour...

Ouch. I really hope the Sens didn't target "safe NHL players" and depht players after waiving Balcers and getting rid of Wolanin, Chlapik, Lajoie and Jaros... I mean, we should try to hit homeruns and just shuffle the deck

Well Raty just scored 4 goals in a showcase game.

Taking flashy skilled prospects who score goals is not smart though

It's more important to have a guy that will cross check him so he doesn't score that 5th goal!

If these are the guys we were going to draft we should have traded down and left today with like 12 picks.

It's ok we're rich now so we can let other teams amass all that draft capital!

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
@BondraTime

in rounds 1 and 2:
6 OHL players
10 WHL
6 QMJHL
total 22 out of 64 picks. Slightly over 1/3.

Is this just reflective of covid and these kids not playing, or should the CHL be concerned?

The 2011 draft: 36 players out of 61 picks (a supplemental was in there) or about 60%

recent numbers
2020: 29 out of 62
2019: 28 out of 62
2018: 25 out of 62
2017: 30 out of 62
2016: 31 out of 61 (supplemental pick)

in 10 years a drop from ~60% to ~35%. Although the 2001 draft was: 30 out of 63. Maybe just a blip???

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sens Fans draft response

draft day - bit of a reach

Day 1-3 - wow, we are getting hammered by the pundits. Better work out. We took guys who weren’t even ranked

day 4-5 - I think we bombed this draft

day 6- prospect tournament - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - DID YOU SEE HIS TRACKING INTO THE HIT. MARK MESSIER HAS NOTHING ON THIS GUY

DAY 7 - Better sign Trent Mann long term, this guy is a freaking genius. He’s taken players nobody even has ranked and they are dominating. What does he KNOW?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see 8 OHL players, 11 WHL players and 6 Q players. That's 25 out of 63. If the OHL had played there would probably have been more players who would have been picked from it.
He probably had Brandt Clarke as being out out of the Slovak league when he was only there because the OHL was shut down.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sens Fans draft response

Day 1-3 - wow, we are getting hammered by the pundits. Better work out. We took guys who weren’t even ranked

day 6- prospect tournament - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - DID YOU SEE HIS TRACKING INTO THE HIT. MARK MESSIER HAS NOTHING ON THIS GUY

DAY 7 - Better sign Trent Mann long term, this guy is a freaking genius. He’s taken players nobody even has ranked and they are dominating. What does he KNOW?

Hilarious, except draft day was a full Sens fan melt down! Lol

Reactions: Tuna99

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
We're going with the Kings' Cup-winning model. Some skill, lots of size...now we need to ensure having the 2 big, productive centers.

It is more sustainable to win low-scoring games with mostly character, as scoring costs near the cap, and Euge is allergic to near the cap. That said, maybe they could have drafted more skill where it was available, and traded it for a larger dose of size/grit. I do wonder if the Pinto reach gamble has made the management staff think they are smarter than everyone else in all cases....

Sens passed on big and a productive center, which went to Kings and it gave them the Staley Cup win. Drafting as always is bad. This whole board was screaming murder at that time. But some as always were saying in scouting we trust. Because Sens again disregarded the league scouting and went off the board with a lackluster d-man, who did not really even make NHL.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
@BondraTime

in rounds 1 and 2:
6 OHL players
10 WHL
6 QMJHL
total 22 out of 64 picks. Slightly over 1/3.

Is this just reflective of covid and these kids not playing, or should the CHL be concerned?

The 2011 draft: 36 players out of 61 picks (a supplemental was in there) or about 60%

recent numbers
2020: 29 out of 62
2019: 28 out of 62
2018: 25 out of 62
2017: 30 out of 62
2016: 31 out of 61 (supplemental pick)

in 10 years a drop from ~60% to ~35%. Although the 2001 draft was: 30 out of 63. Maybe just a blip???
No different than any other year, but the CHL was hurt more than other leagues with limited playing time.

26/63 were CHL players or guys that were CHLers that played in other leagues due to the difficulties with the CHL leagues

It’s going to vary on a year by year basis, this draft year isn’t a strong group from the Canadian side. CHL has nothing to worry about.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Pinto could fizzle as White. And probably will. He has no offensive upside and will not be a top 6 offensive threat ever. Would be nice, if he would develop as the next Danault. Norris is right there with him, bottom 6 player. There is a reason why scouts regarded those two guys like this. Norris was projects at number 19 at best third line center by San Jose. Sens because they do not draft talent and have none, threw him in a top six role he can not succeed. Stutzle desperately needs a talent to play with. What Sens do? Draft a guy who would probably not make NHL.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Pinto could fizzle as White. And probably will. He has no offensive upside and will not be a top 6 offensive threat ever. Would be nice, if he would develop as the next Danault. Norris is right there with him, bottom 6 player. There is a reason why scouts regarded those two guys like this. Norris was projects at number 19 at best third line center by San Jose. Sens because they do not draft talent and have none, threw him in a top six role he can not succeed. Stutzle desperately needs a talent to play with. What Sens do? Draft a guy who would probably not make NHL.
Nobody cares man

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

Please don't go away mad. Just go away.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

SENATOR could fizzle like Toby from The Office. And probably will. He has no humorous upside, and will not be a funny poster ever. Would be nice if he would develop as the next 2CHAINZ. HFHabs is right there with him. Bottom 6 humour. There is a reason why HFSens regarded them like this. HFHabs projects at best, as a #2 in the toilet by HFSanJose. Sens, because they draft talent and character, have a team of goofs who work hard and can succeed. Stutzle desperately needs a nap. What do the Sens do? Draft a guy who is muscular and cuddly who can keep Stutzle safe from bad dreams.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
No different than any other year, but the CHL was hurt more than other leagues with limited playing time.

26/63 were CHL players or guys that were CHLers that played in other leagues due to the difficulties with the CHL leagues

It’s going to vary on a year by year basis, this draft year isn’t a strong group from the Canadian side. CHL has nothing to worry about.
someone needs to recheck by counting. In case I missed someone
upload_2021-7-26_13-40-7.png

12 to 16. 34 top 10's. 14 top 5's. 11 top 3's. The vast majority were CHLers.
17 to 21. 21 top 10's. 9 top 5's. 7 top 3.
just about a 40% reduction.

Dan Mackenzie needs to do some work. This may not have been a blip, but a continuing trend.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
someone needs to recheck by counting. In case I missed someone
View attachment 456303
12 to 16. 34 top 10's. 14 top 5's. 11 top 3's. The vast majority were CHLers.
17 to 21. 21 top 10's. 9 top 5's. 7 top 3.
just about a 40% reduction.

Dan Mackenzie needs to do some work. This may not have been a blip, but a continuing trend.
15/31 of the 1st were CHL players.

The CHL is perfectly fine, like any year there could be more or less CHLers, the league shouldn’t be, and isn't, worried whatsoever.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sens Fans draft response

I hope TM becomes the next GM, if EM ever decides to dump PD ... I may have used to many initials there.

Reactions: Icelevel and Tuna99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad