Post-Game Talk: 2021 Draft - Part 5

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Im actually pretty optimistic about this class. Every guy we picked has a realistic shot at being an NHLer. Excited to see them all play this year.
We are clearly looking to build a tough identity and I for one love it. We have guys who can score already so lets bring in some guys who can make the opposing teams lives hell for 60minutes a night. I love it.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
IMO any “expert” who tries to grade each team’s draft performance is guessing. We are going to have to wait to determine winners and losers at this years draft. Too many of these kids didn’t get properly scouted.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Boucher: 19GP
Ostapchuk: 22GP
Roger: 0GP
Johansson: 15GP
Latimer: 30GP
Romeo: 0GP
Total: 86GP between the 6 prospects we drafted this year

Sens staff gambling that these players would have gotten drafted a lot higher if they had got a full season to impress the scouts.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005

Sens staff gambling that these players would have gotten drafted a lot higher if they had got a full season to impress the scouts.

This really highlight how difficult it is to project the kids this year. It also speaks to how little the Internet scout rankings really mean.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It's a bit of a money all strategy, find the underappreciated assets. Wonder how it compares to other teams draft boards

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IMO any “expert” who tries to grade each team’s draft performance is guessing. We are going to have to wait to determine winners and losers at this years draft. Too many of these kids didn’t get properly scouted.
I mean, that's kind of true of any draft and drafting in general is just guessing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Let's hope they are right, if they can get 3 out of those 6 to be good NHL players than they have earned their money.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is what it is, definitely not a draft I’d have made the picks we did, at any of the choices, but that’s what’s going to happen with this draft year.

Really intrigued with the Ostapchuk, Latimer and Johanssan picks. Ostapchuk especially, has an extremely intriguing skill set.

Roger looks to have a good skill set, excited to see what an additional 40 pounds can do for him this year.

Like Boucher, I personally think we passed on better players, but he could absolutely take off this coming year.

Romeo I’m a bit meh on, not expecting much, anything is gravy.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Trent Mann drafts people, not players. I think that’s clear now. He goes for workers, lovers of the game and good people. Stats and scouting reports mean nothing to him, character above all else.

Trent Mann is a stud

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Basiclly this, we'll figure out exactly how good/bad the Sens draft was by 2022

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Trent Mann drafts people, not players. I think that’s clear now. He goes for workers, lovers of the game and good people. Stats and scouting reports mean nothing to him, character above all else.

Trent Mann is a stud

I mean we did draft Logan Brown :sarcasm:

Just messing, hopefully the kid pans out in the future

Reactions: Tuna99

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Well it's an interesting case study in how well you can assess and project D-1 players. Gotta love Mann's confidence in his scouts, if nothing else.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still think there's a financial component to it as well.

We'd love to have a high-powered superstar laden offence but I'm just not sure if that's ever going to be in the cards.

We may need to rely on contributions that don't necessarily show up on the score sheet and don't necessarily end up driving up contract price.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Strange how the same folks seem unable to give our scouts some credit, even though those same folks were dead wrong just last year.

It really is the same people every year.

Ah well.

Personally I’m intrigued by each pick, seems like each guy has a thing that allows him the chance to be an absolute steal. Whether it’s injury, lack of play due to OHL, underscouted, late riser.

Makes prospect watching interesting.

If Trent and the crew love these guys, then I’m giving things a chance to play out without a second thought.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Im actually pretty optimistic about this class. Every guy we picked has a realistic shot at being an NHLer. Excited to see them all play this year.
We are clearly looking to build a tough identity and I for one love it. We have guys who can score already so lets bring in some guys who can make the opposing teams lives hell for 60minutes a night. I love it.

Senators' 2021 NHL Draft picks: Grades, fit and full scouting reports

2021 Draft Grade: D ... Boucher for me could be a third-line winger, second at the very best, and I’m not sold there’s another NHL player from this group.

Clearly not everyone is sold on "Every guy we picked has a realistic shot at being an NHLer". I hope the pandemic wildcard of a lot of these kids not playing much in their draft years turns in our favour...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I really want the team to gamble, but I’m also mad that the team gambled.

I still think there's a financial component to it as well.

We'd love to have a high-powered superstar laden offence but I'm just not sure if that's ever going to be in the cards.

We may need to rely on contributions that don't necessarily show up on the score sheet and don't necessarily end up driving up contract price.

Sorry man, I don’t think the scouts give any consideration to what a player may need to be paid down the road.

At the absolute worst a guy that we can’t afford will be a good enough asset to trade form other assets.

It makes no sense to have your scouting staff consider this from any angle in my opinion.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Senators' 2021 NHL Draft picks: Grades, fit and full scouting reports

Clearly not everyone is sold on "Every guy we picked has a realistic shot at being an NHLer". I hope the pandemic wildcard of a lot of these kids not playing much in their draft years turns in our favour...

9 out of every 10 people have seen a single one of these guys play. Our scouts have shown they can make good picks and they know what they are doing. Let the kids make your opinions with their play.
If you wanna crap all over it then fine thats your right. But I'm also allowed to be optimistic about a team that has brought me much joy throughout my life. And you can't shit on that optimism.

Reactions: EdSoxFan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sorry man, I don’t think the scouts give any consideration to what a player may need to be paid down the road.

At the absolute worst a guy that we can’t afford will be a good enough asset to trade form other assets.

It makes no sense to have your scouting staff consider this from any angle in my opinion.

I think trying to overpower the opposition with offence is expensive.

If you prioritize other areas of the game in your draft picks, you're implicitly choosing a cheaper option.

It may also be more sustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad