Prospect Info: 2021 Draft #9 - Dylan Guenther (RW)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Its better than having him in AZ getting killed and scoring 7 goals.
True. I don’t know if that would happen, though. He needs to fill out up top, but he’s got a pretty strong base. I’d say the biggest area of growth for him has to be his pace. Consistent pace, and short burst quickness have to improve. He’ll adjust or sink in the NHL. I’m not sure the WHL will challenge him enough to fix those. I worry it’ll just solidify those habits. It’s always a tough call. I hate that he can’t play in the AHL. That’s the obvious solution, here.

Each NHL team should get one CHL transfer exemption every third season. Haha.

Reactions: hbk

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't know that is is true though. We seem to have a ton of stability in the room, if he and other prospects are ready than I'm comfortable bringing them up. I do think this is a situation where they need to be 100% a NHL player to make the team though. Training camp and preseason will be very telling.
The room could have like a 75% turnover next season. I don't see them going for stability. They will dump anybody worth a pick at the deadline or at least that's what Armstrong seems to be on the path to do.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't know that is is true though. We seem to have a ton of stability in the room, if he and other prospects are ready than I'm comfortable bringing them up. I do think this is a situation where they need to be 100% a NHL player to make the team though. Training camp and preseason will be very telling.
We have 6 people under contract for next season? Stability?

Reactions: RemoAZ

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We have 6 people under contract for next season? Stability?
The room could have like a 75% turnover next season. I don't see them going for stability. They will dump anybody worth a pick at the deadline or at least that's what Armstrong seems to be on the path to do.
Guys will resign and some of those are RFA contracts. Youth can only be cooked for so long before you need to give them an opportunity or damage their progression. I expect we see 3-5 more rookies make the team next year. Probably a similar number the following year.

Point is we have people that are making sure this team doesn't quit, keep them, keep teaching our kids to be good pros.

rt

May 13, 2004
Next season is different. Key pieces of the future are likely to start the season on the roster. It would be better for them to break in with an established positive, competitive(in spirit if not results-lol), veteran culture.

Im saying only that I’d personally look into re-signing guys like Larsson, Boyd, Dzingel, O’Brien, Lyubushkin and maybe even Nash and Roussel, who seem to be contributing to that. Larsson would be my key target in that group, though. And I like having O’Brien around. Feels more secure than the last few years where we got so badly bullied.

Jaskin and Galchenyuk and probably Stralman I’d let go.

Gostisbehere and Ladd I’d pencil in.

If the market for Phil is poor and he’s happy with his role of mentor here in AZ, I’d be quite happy to keep him too. But I expect we’ll get a good offer. And I expect he’d prefer to go.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Next season is different. Key pieces of the future are likely to start the season on the roster. It would be better for them to break in with an established positive, competitive(in spirit if not results-lol), veteran culture.

Im saying only that I’d personally look into re-signing guys like Larsson, Boyd, Dzingel, O’Brien, Lyubushkin and maybe even Nash and Roussel, who seem to be contributing to that. Larsson would be my key target in that group, though. And I like having O’Brien around. Feels more secure than the last few years where we got so badly bullied.

If the market for Phil is poor and he’s happy with his role of mentor here in AZ, I’d be quite happy to keep him too. But I expect we’ll get a good offer. And I expect he’d prefer to go.
I think this is the way. We can't let fear dictate decision making if we put competent people in key positions. In years past I'd have been way more nervous about bringing kids up without a more established roster, but if this season is any indication of future competencies, I'm pretty comfortable with kids making the NHL roster to get the last 10-20% of their growth.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeesh that team they are playing looks really bad.
Every team looks bad against Edmonton. I watched their game against swift current last night because I wanted to see what Owen Pickering looked like in a 7-0 loss. Haha. Last I checked, the average score in an Oil Kings game was something like 4.5 to 2.5. Haha. Winnipeg is even more nuts. They’ve scored TWICE as many goals as have been scored on them, last I checked. And the season is half over. This isn’t a sample size distortion.

For my money EDM and WPG are the two best teams in the entire CHL and they have to both play in the same conference of the same league.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)

I love having Larsson. I would like to see us keep him at almost all costs. He is such a complete player with a solid work ethic.

O'Brien does keep thing in check so unless we have someone better at that job, we need to keep him. One thing I notice with him too is he is a very good skater for a tough guy. He has no problem keeping up. But then again he is pure energy.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I love having Larsson. I would like to see us keep him at almost all costs. He is such a complete player with a solid work ethic.

O'Brien does keep thing in check so unless we have someone better at that job, we need to keep him. One thing I notice with him too is he is a very good skater for a tough guy. He has no problem keeping up. But then again he is pure energy.
I like Larsson too but I hope Bill can find the next Larsson instead of keeping the same Larsson. Didn't Doan suck for a long while after hernia surgery? I could be remembering wrong.

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Larsson too but I hope Bill can find the next Larsson instead of keeping the same Larsson. Didn't Doan suck for a long while after hernia surgery? I could be remembering wrong.
I think we were very fortunate to find a mix of guys who can keep their effort and compete levels this high despite all the losing. I think this is a critical and underrated aspect of a rebuild. Just as I’m willing to accept cap-dumps for picks that helps our future, we should be willing to sacrifice additional cap to retain solid leadership that helps our future.

I think that pick acquisition is obviously investing in the future. But I think surrounding those picks with the right character and leadership is also investing in the future. It’s investing in those picks. Insulating and supporting them. Guys like Ladd and Larsson are our on-ice development staff. I think it’s okay to pay some of these guys a little extra for doing two jobs. One salary for playing hockey and another small bump on the aav for being quasi-Development coaches.

I really believe the culture matters. And I really believe it’s harder to get right than people think. Look at Chayka and Stepan and Tocchet as a perfect example.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yep that's right. It looked like he was done and then had that great bounce back year with Domi and Duclair. Then Chayka took him out for breakfast and made him split the check and split the organization haha

Doaner was done.

Didn’t have the energy and was beginning to let other teams run his teammates without an answer.

How he was let go was absolute crap. Barroway did own up to it but only after the massive push back from fans.

Reactions: SniperHF

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018

The kid has an NHL caliber shot. If you can hit the short side corner like this as consistently as he does then you can score goals in the NHL. Just imagine him taking Kessel's spot on the side wall during the powerplay...

rt

May 13, 2004

The kid has an NHL caliber shot. If you can hit the short side corner like this as consistently as he does then you can score goals in the NHL. Just imagine him taking Kessel's spot on the side wall during the powerplay...

When you watch him, you have to pinch yourself. Can’t even dare to dream he’s actually a Coyotes prospect. Seems like some other, smarter, better, luckier team would’ve drafted him. Ty Boucher should’ve been our pick. That would’ve made more sense given our history. Haha.

Good thing we’ve basically started every single thing from scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad