Prospect Info: 2021 do not draft.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I'm aware they have a "do not draft" list, but I doubt that list extends past the third or 4th round. Teams will always take a shot at a kid like AA. It would be dumb not to.
Kinda crazy the yotes took a shot on Mitchell Miller when his past was common knowledge, still baffles me

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think players can be completely off some teams boards but there’s always that one team willing to gamble on a guy (patriots style)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kinda crazy the yotes took a shot on Mitchell Miller when his past was common knowledge, still baffles me
111th pick. Maybe 6 or 7 kids drafted after him have an NHL career. And it proves my point, that the "do not draft list" doesn't extend past the third or 4th round, though teams are certainly going to be a lot more careful about criminal incidents with political overtones from now on.

I think if there ever was a "do not draft at all" prospect, he'd probably be the one.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
111th pick. Maybe 6 or 7 kids drafted after him have an NHL career. And it proves my point, that the "do not draft list" doesn't extend past the third or 4th round, though teams are certainly going to be a lot more careful about criminal incidents with political overtones from now on.

I think if there ever was a "do not draft at all" prospect, he'd probably be the one.
But I wonder if he was completely off the red wings board. So yeah, some team will always take a shot but other teams probably do have players like him completely off their board

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Is it possible 20 years old 5'7" having almost point per game in playoffs

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Just because one team chooses a player does not exclude the existence of “do not draft” lists. 30 other teams could’ve had “do not draft” lists with Miller on it for all we know.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There is no such thing as a "do not draft at all" list. Teams would never have something like that because even the next Sean Avery (undrafted BTW) would have value in the 7th round, especially since Draper doesn't have an eligible child to pick this draft.

Seriously, drop it. I’m sick and f***ing tired of the snippy little bullshit because Kienan Draper got taken in the 7th round like it’s some horrible miscarriage of justice.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You think those teams wouldn't have picked Merkley in the third round if he had dropped that far? How about the 7th round? WOuld you rather have Merkley or Kienan Draper?

No such thing as "do not draft at all".

Yes. I do think there are teams who would have skipped Ryan Merkley in the 7th round if he was there. I think there are people who would skip Mitchell Miller at any draft slot. What good is taking a ludicrously talented player in the 7th round if you’ve interviewed him and you know he’s not a fit for your team in any way? It’s not like they have half the guys in the draft on their do not draft list.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes. I do think there are teams who would have skipped Ryan Merkley in the 7th round if he was there. I think there are people who would skip Mitchell Miller at any draft slot. What good is taking a ludicrously talented player in the 7th round if you’ve interviewed him and you know he’s not a fit for your team in any way? It’s not like they have half the guys in the draft on their do not draft list.
Because a kid like Merkley could possibly have trade value? Or maybe being picked in the 7th round gives him a wake up call?

Miller I agree could have been on at least a few "do not draft at all" lists, but we're talking criminal conduct. I don't think there's anyone equivalent in this draft unless I'm missing something.

Besides, is there anyone even remotely equivalent in this draft to either of them? This "do not draft at all" list is gonna be awful short regardless. A do not draft in the first round list makes more sense, because nobody so far has mentioned a player that would classify as "do not draft at all".

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
If you really do not believe that teams have a DO NOT DRAFT LIST (meaning not even in the 7th round will they draft a player), then you probably have never talked to scouts. Last year, several players were on a Do not Draft list, such as:

Yegor Chinakhov (who was on more then 9 DND lists from teams)
Tyler Kleven
Dylan Peterson
Mitchell Miller (actions speak for themselves)
Antonio Stranges

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If you really do not believe that teams have a DO NOT DRAFT LIST (meaning not even in the 7th round will they draft a player), then you probably have never talked to scouts. Last year, several players were on a Do not Draft list, such as:

Yegor Chinakhov (who was on more then 9 DND lists from teams)
Tyler Kleven
Dylan Peterson

Mitchell Miller (actions speak for themselves)
Antonio Stranges

What were the problems with the bolded players?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Tyler Kleven would put a symbol on all of his accounting work when everything didn't balance and just use a plug number.

A mistake and Kleven gets you home by 7, he'd say. He was home by 4:45 on draft night.

And that's why he now owns a bar in Scranton.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

• Yegor Chinakhov (Just a very good shot but not much else)
  • Tyler Kleven (just no offense, very passive)
  • Dylan Peterson (can't make plays, loses track of linemates and puck. Lack hockey awareness. Mental and technical not great)
  • Antonio Stranges (does not care when he does not have the puck. Not existent in the defensive zone. Mohawk skating. Plays like he 2021 NHL character)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

There are usually guys in the 20-40 range or 30-50 range that you will hear teams have as a Do Not Draft. Often because they just ultimately don't think the player is good enough. Sometimes because of an obvious flaw, sometimes not.

Often times I have asked Mark Edwards from hockeyprospect.com why a certain player is not in their top 31, and he will say they don't really like him, and some team scouts have a similar feeling and have them as a Do Not Draft. Can't remember all the guys this has applied to over the years, but it's not uncommon. I have also heard the boards NHL teams make are not as expansive as the ones we see from Pronman or Central Scouting, which I think contributes to this as well. But that will obviously vary team by team.

My guess is someone like Stankoven could be really divisive among NHL teams, and could be a Do Not Draft for some teams.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What were the Coyotes thinking when they drafted Mitchell Miller? | The Hockey News on Sports Illustrated

A head scout for one team said once they dug into Miller’s story, they immediately scratched him off their draft list.

“We would not have taken him after the background checks our USA guys did on him,” he said. “We always say when we draft somebody, we want somebody at our table who’s really excited about drafting the guy and nobody from our U.S. staff wanted anything to do with this guy, so we just took him off our list. He’s a decent player, but all the background and history on him said red flag.”

So unless a major publication is completely fabricating the above quote...yes, there are sometimes players that one or more NHL teams will refuse to draft under any circumstances.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Who do you think is on Detroit's do not draft list?

Who's on yours?
To bring this back to the OP, there are guys that I have more concerns about (Edvinsson), guys that I really like the skill set of (Hughes, Clarke), and guys that are somewhere in between (Guenther, Johnson, McTavish). But nobody that I want absolutely nothing to do with at 6. Honestly, it's probably a combination of less tape than usual on everybody and more confidence in player development now than in past years.

As others have mentioned, I'm curious about the pick more for how Yzerman wants the team to play. So watching that unfold, along with free agency over the next couple years, is where I'm at.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
Some guys regardless of talent arent woth the headaches. They do .ore harm than good.

Evander kane comes to mind rught away

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Seriously, drop it. I’m sick and f***ing tired of the snippy little bullshit because Kienan Draper got taken in the 7th round like it’s some horrible miscarriage of justice.

Waste draft picks on nepotism and most reasonable people aren't going to be happy about it.
It's bullshit.
Sure, it's only the seventh round, but f*** that noise.

Better draft Krissy's boy. That's garbage.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The McTavish love I've seen is absurd. I'm not a smart man, so maybe that's what's creeping up about my feelings for McTavish. He just doesn't seem like a really good player.

Reactions: Killerjas

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I’m most uncomfortable with taking Simon Edvinsson and Kent Johnson. These are two guys that if we take either of them…we need our development guys to do a lot of work there to help them go where they need to go. I think they both have a lot of upside, but there are a lot of red flags to each of their games.

And we absolutely do not take either goalie at pick 6, in my book.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’m most uncomfortable with taking Simon Edvinsson and Kent Johnson. These are two guys that if we take either of them…we need our development guys to do a lot of work there to help them go where they need to go. I think they both have a lot of upside, but there are a lot of red flags to each of their games.

And we absolutely do not take either goalie at pick 6, in my book.

Samesies.

Johnson needs a lot of work on conditioning, skating and strength. Plus I don't think he's the kind of player that fits Yzerman's vision of a team when you look at the makeup of his picks in 2019 and 2020. Of the top 5 forwards in the draft (Eklund, Beniers, Guenther, McTavish and Johnson) he's easily the least physical and worst defensively of them. Arguably the worst skater in that group as well.

Edvinsson's decision making with the puck and passing/shooting skills need a lot of work and for a 22nd overall pick he'd be a great project, but for 6th overall that's where I have trouble in believing he's the right choice. That's why I'm hoping and praying that Lambos is there at 23(22 overall) because that's when we're gambling with house money.

Although I disagree with your point about the goalie. I think Wallstedt is the one player in this draft I'm confident makes it bigtime.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What were the Coyotes thinking when they drafted Mitchell Miller? | The Hockey News on Sports Illustrated

A head scout for one team said once they dug into Miller’s story, they immediately scratched him off their draft list.

“We would not have taken him after the background checks our USA guys did on him,” he said. “We always say when we draft somebody, we want somebody at our table who’s really excited about drafting the guy and nobody from our U.S. staff wanted anything to do with this guy, so we just took him off our list. He’s a decent player, but all the background and history on him said red flag.”

So unless a major publication is completely fabricating the above quote...yes, there are sometimes players that one or more NHL teams will refuse to draft under any circumstances.
So are we discussing:
- Players that have personality and/or legal issues
- Players that aren't good enough to make the NHL
- Players we don't want in the first round
or
- Players we don't want in the first 2 rounds?

I mean if we're looking at this "do not draft" list as anyone not on the board, then the list would be hundreds of players. If we're looking at personality issues, nobody has named one yet for this draft.

In any case, I don't see Stevie picking Clarke at #6, that's about all I got.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So are we discussing:
- Players that have personality and/or legal issues
- Players that aren't good enough to make the NHL
- Players we don't want in the first round
or
- Players we don't want in the first 2 rounds?

I mean if we're looking at this "do not draft" list as anyone not on the board, then the list would be hundreds of players. If we're looking at personality issues, nobody has named one yet for this draft.

In any case, I don't see Stevie picking Clarke at #6, that's about all I got.

I think this thread should be discussing the kinds of players that may be ranked high but we see as busts, low potential/lower ceilings than rated, or guys that look like they've got the kind of problems that will get them booted off a team.

My personal opinion is that Aatu Raty is the kind of guy that we should steer clear of. He's looking worse than a lot of the guys ranked in the mid to late 2nd round and my hot take is that he makes it to the NHL, plays on the 4th line for a couple of years and then bounces out to a lower tier European league. There isn't anything in his game that makes me think he's going to be a successful full-time NHLer.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad