Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I don’t think they really have been punished tho when you think about the other rules that have been implemented.

I’m not sure but their average pick might’ve actually gone up. I’d rather have a bit worse odds for #1 overall but not be able to fall any further than 3 than have a bit better odds but possibly be able to fall to 4. I’m sure Detroit would’ve preferred this last year.

Edit: If these odds are for future years too the odds for the top teams will naturally go back up a bit anyways with the addition of the rules where teams can’t go up more than 10 spots. I’m not sure the odds will be the same next year tho.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Clarke makes far better reads than Power and Hughes to my eyes. That's enough to mitigate the skating woes, which are very overblown.

tbf, skating for a defenseman is pretty important. It's not something you can just ignore.

All I ask is if they go with Luke, they did it because they think he will be the better player and not because he's Jack's brother. I don't want this organization to become an even bigger joke than it already has been the past few years. We'll never really know why they picked Luke if they do though.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think they really have been punished tho when you think about the other rules that have been implemented.

I’m not sure but their average pick might’ve actually gone up. I’d rather have a bit worse odds for #1 overall but not be able to fall any further than 3 than have a bit better odds but possibly be able to fall to 4. I’m sure Detroit would’ve preferred this last year.

Edit: If these odds are for future years too the odds for the top teams will naturally go back up a bit anyways with the addition of the rules where teams can’t go up more than 10 spots. I’m not sure the odds will be the same next year tho.

The NHL said this about rule changes:

The changes, approved by League’s Board of Governors, will reduce the likelihood of the worst-finishing Club dropping in the Draft Order and not retaining the right to the First Overall Selection; reduce the magnitude of any possible drop in DraftOrder for the worst-finishing Club

I assumed that meant the odds for the bottom three teams would improve and not worsen. It’s a little weird that they drop so much but I guess Seattle’s ~10% had to come from somewhere and 43.5% of the odds were in the top 3.

I’m also assuming the odds will likely change next season. (Who knows, just an assumption.)

NHL.com Media Site

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The NHL said this about rule changes:

I assumed that meant the odds for the bottom three teams would improve and not worsen. It’s a little weird that they drop so much but I guess Seattle’s ~10% had to come from somewhere and 43.5% of the odds were in the top 3.

I’m also assuming the odds will likely change next season. (Who knows, just an assumption.)

NHL.com Media Site
I don’t know, I think it was more about the bottom team not being able to fall as much as they could in previous years. I like it better like this. They aren’t as likely to get first overall but they also can’t fall as much.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned - Buffalo will be picking ahead of us unless we are drafting 1st or 2nd overall so that's one team that won't be taking one of the top defenseman as I'd have to assume they go Beniers. Anaheim will likely take Powers if he is on the board however if he is not I think they will take Hughes or Edvinsson. Seattle - i have zero clue which direction they would go.

Traditionally, the overwhelming majority of expansion teams have gone for forwards, especially centers, with their top overall picks. It also should be factored in that the current expansion rules leave more quality defensemen unprotected than forwards, so -- although there is no guarantee -- I'd say the safer money is on Seattle drafting a forward, especially in a draft which has so much parity at the top.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yusaku Ando at eliteprospects.com

Thoughts on him in the later rounds? I’m a sucker for Japan. @StevenToddIves

I watched Ando a little, but don't consider him a prospect for the first 6 rounds, so I drew my attention elsewhere. Ando is tiny -- 5'7-145 -- and a perimeter player who is a bit of a liability outside the offensive zone. Although he certainly has some high-end offensive skills, his surrounding limitations have inhibited him statistically -- just 8 goals in the USHL this year over 45 games.

Ando is not a player I would draft, but certainly the type of player I would invite to training camp if he went undrafted.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
tbf, skating for a defenseman is pretty important. It's not something you can just ignore.

All I ask is if they go with Luke, they did it because they think he will be the better player and not because he's Jack's brother. I don't want this organization to become an even bigger joke than it already has been the past few years. We'll never really know why they picked Luke if they do though.

Brandt Clarke is a good skater, and he's also the brother of a Devils player.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Brandt Clarke is a good skater, and he's also the brother of a Devils player.
While hes not a poor skater, Id argue skating is Clarke's biggest deficiency in his game. Though that could be his transitional defense, which Im also not fond of.

past that though I dont see many holes

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I watched Ando a little, but don't consider him a prospect for the first 6 rounds, so I drew my attention elsewhere. Ando is tiny -- 5'7-145 -- and a perimeter player who is a bit of a liability outside the offensive zone. Although he certainly has some high-end offensive skills, his surrounding limitations have inhibited him statistically -- just 8 goals in the USHL this year over 45 games.

Ando is not a player I would draft, but certainly the type of player I would invite to training camp if he went undrafted.

Thanks for the added info! And yeah I saw he was kind of on the little dude side haha. It’s just great to see more and more countries producing quality players. I don’t think we take a stab at him but I hope he finds his way to the nhl somehow.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
While hes not a poor skater, Id argue skating is Clarke's biggest deficiency in his game. Though that could be his transitional defense, which Im also not fond of.

past that though I dont see many holes
His transitional defence!?!
He’s one the best defenders I’ve seen in transition. Literally one of my favourite things about him. Really good backwards skater who keeps perfect gaps and doesn’t get beat. He did great at that in the U18s and every where else I’ve seen him.

I have more of a problem with his defence below the hash marks as he sometimes gets outmuscled or loses positioning on a guy down low or in front of the net.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
His transitional defence!?!
He’s one the best defenders I’ve seen in transition. Literally one of my favourite things about him. Really good backwards skater who keeps perfect gaps and doesn’t get beat. He did great at that in the U18s and every where else I’ve seen him.

I have more of a problem with his defence below the hash marks as he sometimes gets outmuscled or loses positioning on a guy down low or in front of the net.
Perhaps I should have been more specific

I find his first step and his pivot To be slow, and is likely due to his awkward stride. Ty Smith has this exact same issue I find

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Perhaps I should have been more specific

I find his first step and his pivot To be slow, and is likely due to his awkward stride. Ty Smith has this exact same issue I find
Okay I think I get what you’re saying. If the puck gets chipped in behind him or a guys blowing wide around him he’s not the quickest on his pivot or first couple strides. That’s a fair assessment and I agree that it’s similar to smith

That being said Smith has done okay with that problem even if he occasionally gets beaten

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think people were already talking about it and someone didn’t agree with it but I see a lot of similarities between Clarke and Smith.

Both very smooth skaters with good edges that just aren’t the quickest. They’re both very smart puck movers too, have good patience and know how to slow things down.

There’s obviously some differences too and Clarke is better at Smith in some regards which is why he has more potential. Clarke is bigger and can bring more physicality, has slightly better hands and puck skills, has a better shot and a bit more offensive creativity.

Ty is really good in the offensive zone, moves well, makes smart plays and creates offense. I just think that Clarke has that extra bit of vision and skill where he’s able to make a play that no one else saw or expected.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
My god, what you’re suggestion would set off an existential crisis. (Does the Arizona pick exist? If it’s in the lottery does that mean it must exist at some point in this process? If so when is it forfeited? It they’re in the draft lottery and win the lottery are they then forfeiting the pick or the pick AND the lottery win?... *heads explode*)

I assume an Arizona rep doesn’t have to go the lottery and potentially watch their team potentially not win the lottery via a win of the lottery.

Someone broke down the biggest losers and winner of the odd tweaks so you don’t have to:
Winners: Ottawa, Vancouver, Devils
Losers: Buffalo, Anaheim, Seattle

View attachment 435990
Why tf did the rangers odds double?

I would be pissed if I was Buffalo or Anaheim

I am actually pleased because it looks like we are sharing the third place odds with Seattle. Before it was Seattle at 11.5 and nj at 9.5 now we are both at 10.5

Reactions: mdj12784

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think people were already talking about it and someone didn’t agree with it but I see a lot of similarities between Clarke and Smith.

Both very smooth skaters with good edges that just aren’t the quickest. They’re both very smart puck movers too, have good patience and know how to slow things down.

There’s obviously some differences too and Clarke is better at Smith in some regards which is why he has more potential. Clarke is bigger and can bring more physicality, has slightly better hands and puck skills, has a better shot and a bit more offensive creativity.

Ty is really good in the offensive zone, moves well, makes smart plays and creates offense. I just think that Clarke has that extra bit of vision and skill where he’s able to make a play that no one else saw or expected.
Id say Ty has more of a knack for seeing offensive rotations and chances for deep pucks/shots on net, so perhaps a reactionary mindset and vision edit 2: more a systematic mindset

Whereas Clarke is more of a cerebral creator, making space for not only himself but usually someone else with His individual skill more than Ty, whos more of a strategic thinker IMO

Edit: this IMO makes Clarke a higher potential offensive player as its more based in his actual skillset and less in the ability of others

I also could be way off basis as this is due to my limited viewings of Clarke

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Why tf did the rangers odds double?

I would be pissed if I was Buffalo or Anaheim

I am actually pleased because it looks like we are sharing the third place odds with Seattle. Before it was Seattle at 11.5 and nj at 9.5 now we are both at 10.5
You gotta look past the first pick.
We have a bit better chance of picking first but also a bit higher chance of picking 6th than we previously thought. Overall all the changes to the lottery this year have definitely benefited our odds and other teams near the tops odds too.

This years draft lottery might be better for Buffalo than last years even with a new team added in. They didn’t get screwed. I’m sure Detroit would’ve loved these odds last year in hindsight. If they did this last year Detroit would’ve gotten Stutzle.
Buffalo has a slightly lower chance of picking 1st but their pick can’t fall as much and is guaranteed to be in the top 3. It obviously depends on the draft but you could definitely argue that it’s better to have a guaranteed top 3 pick with slightly lower odds of picking 1st.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad