Prospect Info: 2021 5th Rd Pick (#153 OA) - Ty Voit (C/RW) - Sarnia (OHL)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We have no idea how accurate his listing is. His height/weight is likely outdated by at least a year, possibly two.
i'm sure he'll be listed another 1-2 inches taller and 10-15 lbs heavier just like every other smaller player we draft so it really doesn't matter how accurate his height/weight at this time

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
With the OHL not playing an entire season almost every OHL player taken (and not taken) in this draft will have been incorrectly assessed. A few select teams are going to hit the jackpot while others are going to have made a what-were-we-thinking choice.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Assuming this is an average game for him:
- Very good passer, can make both simple passes and ones with large upside, and can do it under pressure
- Skating is already okay for the OHL level. If he adds more strength, he may get faster and harder to knock down and would be considered good for the ohl
- Knows where to be when he doesn't have the puck, at least offensively.
- Deceptive (accurate from other reports)
- Dangerous when he has the puck even for a second
- Can be cute at times, but this is easy to fix
- Likes the attack the net often

Keep in mind, this was in his draft minus one year and it's not crystal clear so I may have gotten him mixed up with #86 at times. His linemates for this game are perrault and burke.

Play-By-Play:
Makes a quick pass under pressure

I could be interpreting this wrong, but someone directs him to take the other guy, but as soon as the Sarnia defenseman is concentrated on the puck carrier (#18 SSM), voit switches onto the high danger threat.

Cross-ice pass

Outmaneuvers the guy checking him and makes a pass out of his zone. He does try to pass it, but hits opposing skater causing an offside.

Mispass

Good exit pass

Finds the open man through 2 sticks, but tries to be fancy with the puck and gets it stripped.

Beats a guy for the loose puck, backhands it to open teammate, puts his body in front of #20 SSM player, streaks to the front of the net and for some reason no one on the other team picks him up.

Retrieves a loose puck that teammate forechecks for, skates a bit, spins and finds #3 teammate creating a medium-high danger scoring chance

Shows good hands to protect the puck. Gets open briefly, then passes it on the outside to perrault. Causes chaos in front of the net. Perrault scores.

Tries to be a little fancy in attempting to intercept a puck. A little late on his checking assignment, which leads to a goal.

Takes a loose puck, has a checker pressuring him, Voit enters the zone with four bodies around him, passes it to an open burke #86. Parks in front of the net and tries to shoot it.

Skates for open puck in defensive zone. Jukes out a forechecker, tries to handle the puck, but then loses it.

Gets it out of his zone, but not a controlled exit.

Hot take: He may actually be better than SDA. I will need a larger sample size to corroborate my findings. I love this F***ing pick. This is why I like late round picks. We got dmitry ovchinnikov last year and now we get this guy?! If we had drafted this guy in the 2nd round, I wouldn't have been pissed. He has huge potential to improve his transition game.

I'll do matthew knies when I get home.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Ah, since he is 18, pretty likely he will get bigger, if he is like most other humans.
it seems he's already grown , Hockey DB has him listed at 5'9'' while he's now listed at 5'10'' . lol

and i agree the vast majority will fill out and get stronger but most don't get taller after 18

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What are the Toronto Maple Leafs getting in their 2021 NHL Draft picks Matthew Knies, Ty Voit and Vyacheslav Peksa? - The Athletic

Pick No. 2: Ty Voit

Drafted: Fifth round, No. 153 | Position: C/LW
2019-20 Stats: 49 GP, 8 G, 20 A, 28 pts (Sarnia Sting, OHL)

The Skinny: Voit is in the unique position of not having played this season with the OHL season being cancelled, making this a bit of a swing for the Leafs. Lilley admitted it was difficult to get a read on where the smallish winger was going to be picked.

Nevertheless, the pass-first Voit showcases a lot of the tools other Leafs picks have had over the past few years, which is why the Leafs indeed took that swing.

“He’s a skilled kid, a good skater, he can make plays,” said Lilley, also referencing his strong compete level.

Voit said he models his game after Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau.

“A lot of our features are the same,” said Voit. “My coaches have shown me a lot of video, and I’ve always done my own research.”

Like Gaudreau, there will inevitably be questions about Voit’s smallish frame.

“For the past two years I’ve mainly focused on being in the gym, so I think I’ve definitely diminished a lot of those questions coming into this year,” said Voit.

As an OHL rookie, he showed a flashy playmaking ability and wasn’t afraid to get creative with the puck in the offensive zone. He can manipulate the opposition with the puck on his stick.

“He has electric skill,” said Sting general manager Dylan Seca. “He is the type of player that can see things before they happen. He loves to have the puck on his stick. He’s calm, has a great brain, good vision and he’s silky smooth in tight. A lot of guys will force pucks, but he won’t.”

There doesn’t appear to be a lot of concern from the Leafs about Voit missing the season.
He comes from a family that Seca describes as “fitness-driven,” with his father working as a pilot and his brother training to become a Navy seal. Push-up and sit-up contests are the norm in the Voit household.

And in that regard, what stuck out to Lilley when he saw him at the PBHH Invitational prospect showcase tournament in June, was the added size and strength he’d put on in his year away from hockey.

“Without having played for a year I was pleased with just how he looked,” said Lilley. “I just think he’s going to be a good offensive player in time. Sarnia has a good program and I expect him to have a very good, productive offensive season coming up.”

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Love this pick. Swinging for a home run here. Had good production before Covid hit, and has exciting offensive tools. Helps he was ranked in the 3rd round by most agencies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Looks like they caught a good one
sg-76477_2_.jpg

:cool:

Reactions: cookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad