Prospect Info: 2021 2nd Rd Pick (#57 OA) - Matthew Knies (LW) - Tri-City (USHL)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A late-2002 birthday, Matthew Knies was expected to take another step in the USHL with Tri-City Storm. Many analysts saw him as a possible first-round pick heading into this season. Unfortunately, Knies started to slip down the rankings due to a slow start and lack of production. However, he managed to salvage something and really came on down the stretch with 23 points in his last 15 games. Knies put up 17 goals and 25 assists for 42 points in 44 games this year. Despite Tri-City losing in the first round, Knies stayed hot in the playoffs with a goal and three assists for four points in three games.

2021 NHL Draft #57: Matthew Knies Scouting Report

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Haven't followed the draft at all? What is this guy's ceiling, playstyle and comparable as well as ETA?

Left winger is good as we don't have those at the NHL level currently

Reactions: Heritage

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A late-2002 birthday, Matthew Knies was expected to take another step in the USHL with Tri-City Storm. Many analysts saw him as a possible first-round pick heading into this season. Unfortunately, Knies started to slip down the rankings due to a slow start and lack of production. However, he managed to salvage something and really came on down the stretch with 23 points in his last 15 games. Knies put up 17 goals and 25 assists for 42 points in 44 games this year. Despite Tri-City losing in the first round, Knies stayed hot in the playoffs with a goal and three assists for four points in three games.

2021 NHL Draft #57: Matthew Knies Scouting Report

I like the idea of taking a guy that peaks as the season goes on.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
A big kid at 6’3, 205. Nice. Was supposedly a possible first rounder to start the year in the eyes of many scouts. Can’t complain, here.

Reactions: uncleben

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Matthew Knies at eliteprospects.com

"The way Knies establishes body positioning drives his value in every dimension of the game. He tries to be first on every puck at all costs, getting his leg in front of his opponent’s, then coming across their body with his hips to seal off the defender. Some off-puck awareness makes Knies a bit of a scoring threat, hunting space after passing. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide"

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm not in love with it, but I had him 53rd so it's a good pick in my book. Models obviously love it because he had great production on a non-stacked team in the USHL two years in a row. Just needs to get much better (especially his skating) at a top-tier University next year where he'll be fighting for minutes.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great pick. Knies was one of my favorite players in this draft. I had him at 33, but I think he has top 15 potential. He didn't have the season that could've elevated him higher and he didn't show improvement on his biggest weaknesses. I think he has the talent to be a top 15 player in this draft eventually.

Knies is a big winger with a lot of skill and he's also pretty hard working and physical. He'll go to the net, even though he has perimeter puck skills. I think he's a talented playmaker and goal scorer. His biggest problem is his skating. It's below average. If he gets it to average, he'll be a top six winger, and could be a top line winger. He's very comparable to Matt Boldy from the 2019 draft, but Boldy's a more effective skater. Boldy is the comparable if Knies has a great trajectory for the next few seasons.

Knies also didn't have the best draft season. He was very inconsistent. Started terribly from a statistical standpoint, but finished great. Even during the weak start statistically, I thought he was playing well. He also dealt with an injury during the season. With a good season, he would not have available where the Leafs took him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad