Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I imagine Hertl has a pretty savvy agent. Id have to assume hes not gonna let Hertl sign for less than 8 unless Hertl is adamant on making it work with management in SJ. Like, i wanna stay here, let's get close to number and term. Will and DW need to really come out strong in negotiations. Don't low ball him and insult him. I think they know what Hertls worth and will pay that man his money.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Would any contract within the 6 million dollar range be a steal for Hertl / would you be cool with re-signing him then?

Say he signs a 6.9 x 8 years. Sold?

Who cares what the cap hit is? The reason not to sign Hertl to ANY contract is because there is no realistic pathway to becoming a contender while he's still in his prime.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Who cares what the cap hit is? The reason not to sign Hertl to ANY contract is because there is no realistic pathway to becoming a contender while he's still in his prime.

I would begrudgingly agree with this...the smart thing to do would be to sell high on Hertl, trade off secondary pieces like Barabanov, Reimer, and Bonino for what you can at the deadline, get a top-8 pick, and full blown tank for Bedard or Michkov next season (trade Burns wherever in the offseason). That's the team's best chance at becoming a contender.

Reactions: WSS11

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Losing him for nothing is still better than signing him to an eight year contract in my book. I mean obviously they should trade him but the realistic return is a low first round pick that will likely never develop into a useful NHL player and a prospect who will likely never develop into a useful NHL player.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Nashville could low key buyers at the deadline. Doing a trade to get Svechkov+1st/2nd might be plausible.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Losing him for nothing is still better than signing him to an eight year contract in my book. I mean obviously they should trade him but the realistic return is a low first round pick that will likely never develop into a useful NHL player and a prospect who will likely never develop into a useful NHL player.
If expectation is that 1st round pick is not going to develop into a useful NHL player it means that you should ALWAYS trade your 1st round picks for established players and do you know how stupid that sounds?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If expectation is that 1st round pick is not going to develop into a useful NHL player it means that you should ALWAYS trade your 1st round picks for established players and do you know how stupid that sounds?

Contending teams SHOULD always trade their 1st round picks for established players who can help them now. That's pretty much what the Sharks did from 2007-2011.

Reactions: Hollel

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Contending teams SHOULD always trade their 1st round picks for established players who can help them now. That's pretty much what the Sharks did from 2007-2011.
I mean, that's part of what what led us to being here, especially considering a lot of those rentals did absolutely nothing to reward those prices.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean, that's part of what what led us to being here, especially considering a lot of those rentals did absolutely nothing to reward those prices.

What led to us being here was selling the farm for Karlsson and Kane when the team was no longer in a legitimate Cup window then locking in the roster for a decade.

But when they had a future HOF 1C and a top line goal scoring winger in their prime? Hell yeah they were right to trade their 1st round pick for immediate help every year. Not every move like that is guaranteed to work out but Dan Boyle alone was more valuable to the Sharks than everything they traded in those years combined.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

yea he's gone

He's negotiating, sounds like his agent wants to get more money. They should know by the deadline if he's going to stay or not, my thinking is that if the team is committed to not tanking they'll give him what he wants.

Last edited:

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
What led to us being here was selling the farm for Karlsson and Kane when the team was no longer in a legitimate Cup window then locking in the roster for a decade.

But when they had a future HOF 1C and a top line goal scoring winger in their prime? Hell yeah they were right to trade their 1st round pick for immediate help every year. Not every move like that is guaranteed to work out but Dan Boyle alone was more valuable to the Sharks than everything they traded in those years combined.
What actually led us here was and Jones and Vlasic becoming absolutely horrible and dead weight in cap. Combined 13-million for players who should have caphit of 1-million. Without those contracts Sharks could've kept Pavelski and Donskoi/Nyquist and also had better goaltending than what Jones brought.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What actually led us here was and Jones and Vlasic becoming absolutely horrible and dead weight in cap. Combined 13-million for players who should have caphit of 1-million. Without those contracts Sharks could've kept Pavelski and Donskoi/Nyquist and also had better goaltending than what Jones brought.

Even if we had kept Pavelski and Donskoi this still wouldn't be a good team right now. The fundamental error was going for it in 2018 and 2019 when they should have kept their picks and prospects and traded Couture and Pavelski in their contract years. If we had Norris and Stutzle today along with other young pieces acquired for Couture and Pavelski it might actually make sense to re-sign Hertl and we would have plenty of cap space to offer him whatever he wants. Instead we're forced to trade him and probably Meier because Doug held on for too long.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Even if we had kept Pavelski and Donskoi this still wouldn't be a good team right now. The fundamental error was going for it in 2018 and 2019 when they should have kept their picks and prospects and traded Couture and Pavelski in their contract years. If we had Norris and Stutzle today along with other young pieces acquired for Couture and Pavelski it might actually make sense to re-sign Hertl and we would have plenty of cap space to offer him whatever he wants. Instead we're forced to trade him and probably Meier because Doug held on for too long.
I disagree. 2019 we had arguably the best Sharks team ever assembled on paper. 60-point Thornton as 3C, PPG Hertl as 1C and Couture as 2C had 70p. And 40-goal Pavs, 30-goal Kane and Meier and 55-point Labanc. Donskoi was scoring half point per game pace. Not to mention that Vlasic still looked like first pairing defenseman before that season and Burns scored point per game.

In one way, Sharks were closer to a cup in 2019 than 2016 as 2016 Pens were better team. 2019 Sharks was arguably the best team in the league but injuries caused by dirty St. Louis hits which were never penalized ruined it. With better injury luck and refs doing their job in conference finals Sharks could've been a cup champion.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I disagree. 2019 we had arguably the best Sharks team ever assembled on paper. 60-point Thornton as 3C, PPG Hertl as 1C and Couture as 2C had 70p. And 40-goal Pavs, 30-goal Kane and Meier and 55-point Labanc. Donskoi was scoring half point per game pace. Not to mention that Vlasic still looked like first pairing defenseman before that season and Burns scored point per game.

In one way, Sharks were closer to a cup in 2019 than 2016 as 2016 Pens were better team. 2019 Sharks was arguably the best team in the league but injuries caused by dirty St. Louis hits which were never penalized ruined it. With better injury luck and refs doing their job in conference finals Sharks could've been a cup champion.
That 2019 team got lucky to get past Vegas in the 1st round and took too many games to dispatch an undermanned Avs team. That team wasn’t nearly as good as the 2016 team. I hate to agree with Hodge but the huge Kane and Karlsson mistakes ensured we will need a long and painful rebuild. Otherwise, a refresh might have worked.

Reactions: Hodge

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That 2019 team got lucky to get past Vegas in the 1st round and took too many games to dispatch an undermanned Avs team. That team wasn’t nearly as good as the 2016 team. I hate to agree with Hodge but the huge Kane and Karlsson mistakes ensured we will need a long and painful rebuild. Otherwise, a refresh might have worked.
How was the Kane trade a mistake? How did they bet the farm on him as Hodge says? We traded a first which ended up being Brayden Tracey (who???) and Danny O'Regan. Dude was a steal until this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad