GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS game 4 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm Oilers lead 2-1

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
People here only understand what is happening in the game.

We see 82 games and make assumptions based on that, however the coaches see those games plus 275 practices where this is drilled and drilled and drilled.

As much as its infuriating the execution we see, you do have to lay a lot of the blame on the players for not executing regardless of the system.

I gotta think if there was a better way with this personnel it would have been found by now.

I mean it's obviously both but the usual suspects are also being willfully obtuse.

PP1 is PP1 because those guys are in the lineup every night.

We clamor for more youth/offensive talent on PP2, but the reality is the org f***ed around all year with the minutes of the kids and the bottom six and can't have a 'steady' PP2, so he were are. And they're obviously scared shitless of McDavid so PP2 gets 15 seconds at the end of PP1 (and still looks more dangerous hence the complaints but here we are). But this is just one of the reasons we were pushing for more minutes for the kids (help help help special teams) and less minutes for Kopitar (who is visibly breathing like a guy finishing a sprint every PP).

But at least give PP1 a few different looks, christ. Everyone in the building knows where the next pass is going and that it's going to be on each guys stick for 3-4 seconds allowing the PK to reset. If that's an execution problem rather than a systems problem, then it IS a coaching problem because they don't know how to fix it. I don't know why that last part gets glossed over, "well the players have to execute," no shit what are coaches for? Just to watch?

Reactions: Schmooley

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
People here only understand what is happening in the game.

We see 82 games and make assumptions based on that, however the coaches see those games plus 275 practices where this is drilled and drilled and drilled.

As much as its infuriating the execution we see, you do have to lay a lot of the blame on the players for not executing regardless of the system.

I gotta think if there was a better way with this personnel it would have been found by now.
I was totally expecting something else when I saw your response...

I would like your post, but I do not have the ability at this time.

Reactions: The Gabe Blade

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I mean it's obviously both but the usual suspects are also being willfully obtuse.

PP1 is PP1 because those guys are in the lineup every night.

We clamor for more youth/offensive talent on PP2, but the reality is the org f***ed around all year with the minutes of the kids and the bottom six and can't have a 'steady' PP2, so he were are. And they're obviously scared shitless of McDavid so PP2 gets 15 seconds at the end of PP1 (and still looks more dangerous hence the complaints but here we are). But this is just one of the reasons we were pushing for more minutes for the kids (help help help special teams) and less minutes for Kopitar (who is visibly breathing like a guy finishing a sprint every PP).

But at least give PP1 a few different looks, christ. Everyone in the building knows where the next pass is going and that it's going to be on each guys stick for 3-4 seconds allowing the PK to reset. If that's an execution problem rather than a systems problem, then it IS a coaching problem because they don't know how to fix it. I don't know why that last part gets glossed over, "well the players have to execute," no shit what are coaches for? Just to watch?

It does pain me to somewhat agree with @Axl Rhoadz

I assume though they give it different looks in practice. They test to see if setting Kaliyev up for one timers works good or not. Maybe its a good thought and all but Kopitar cant make the proper pass so they scratch the idea. I just don't know because I have never been to a practice to see what they drill.

I know what I would like to see and agree to, play the kids more. I felt that I saw more creativity in a couple of seconds of the youth out there then I do all game from Kopitar.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It does pain me to somewhat agree with @Axl Rhoadz

I assume though they give it different looks in practice. They test to see if setting Kaliyev up for one timers works good or not. Maybe its a good thought and all but Kopitar cant make the proper pass so they scratch the idea. I just don't know because I have never been to a practice to see what they drill.

I know what I would like to see and agree to, play the kids more. I felt that I saw more creativity in a couple of seconds of the youth out there then I do all game from Kopitar.

I don't think he's wrong either, but I do think the coaching is being minimized.

I'd say ultimately I expect teams to play to their identity. Fine, the PP sucks. The Kings were a bottom tier 5v5 offense team all year, no reason to expect more there. The issue I have is ALL good teams have ONE functional special team, so there's really no excuse for the Kings--a top tier defensive team 5v5--to suck so hard on the PK.

If it were just the PP, fine, shit happens. But when it's both...for a 99 point team that's tops in GA...that's systematic, not just "the personnel can't execute". Can anyone think of a team with better PK personnel than the Kings? Sure, could use some major muscle in front, but come on...

Reactions: Vasco and YAYSAY

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Interestingly, Kings gave up 17 goals going into Game 4 in 2014, the same number of goals given up going into game 4 last Sunday lol....Todd has experienced both scoring 17 goals against the Kings, and giving up 17 goals with the Kings.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Interestingly, Kings gave up 17 goals going into Game 4 in 2014, the same number of goals given up going into game 4 last Sunday lol....Todd has experienced both scoring 17 goals against the Kings, and giving up 17 goals with the Kings.

And here we are giving up 34 goals LOL

• Haha
Reactions: bouncesonly

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Next year is next year boys. Right now it’s one game at a time. Both teams have made some adjustments it’s gonna be huge tomorrow which team makes the better adjustments. Grumstrum has finally earned his time TMac can’t f*** him anymore after last night. What a f***ing goal!

I was so f***ed up by the time the game was over last night I had to watch the replay today at work(I work in a bar) to remember what happened.

Tonights game plan for Grundstrom should be to bull charge strong to the new every single time. Others on the line let him get head of steam and get the puck to him. That could be the wild card the Oils cannot account for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad