GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS Game 2 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm LA leads 1-0

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder if moving Brown up with Kopitar would perhaps get the most out of him? Can he muster up the guts to play a few more top-six level games? Would reuniting Iafallo, Kopitar, and Brown bring out the best in all three of them? It's possible, especially since they're really just a counterweight to Draisaitl and McDavid. Sometimes chemistry just makes a huge difference.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Kempe - Byfield - Athanasiou
Lemieux - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Reactions: YP44

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Brown can b
I wonder if moving Brown up with Kopitar would perhaps get the most out of him? Can he muster up the guts to play a few more top-six level games? Would reuniting Iafallo, Kopitar, and Brown bring out the best in all three of them? It's possible, especially since they're really just a counterweight to Draisaitl and McDavid. Sometimes chemistry just makes a huge difference.

Brown can barely handle the puck, let alone be effective against McDavid

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Wasn’t the reason for Vilardi being sent down to convert him to a wing? Same for Kupari? Todd moved AA down for Grundstrom, who promptly went -2 in like two minutes next to Kopitar.

Why not scratch Grundstrom, demote AA and then put on the second line with Kopitar one of your first round draft picks who are now supposed to be wingers to prevent being labeled busts.
The problem with that is that non of our center prospects have what it takes to be a winger.
All of them a very skilled playmakers who usually fail on a shooting first mentality position.

If any we would have to pair them with skilled shooters who don't even know there is a d-zone.
Problem with that is, we don't have any.
All young wingers are told not to play offense and focus on defense.
It needs several years to figure out if they can score after that treatment.
Kempe is the best example.

But with have to acknowledge this fact first and play accordingly to that, not having those suicide playoff runs that help absolutely nobody but hurt our futures tremendously.

I just honestly don't think we have enough good players to win this series. We either need rookies to step up or move them for people who will. Maybe we throw darts against the wall and try something like this?

Kempe - Kopitar - Kupari
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Iafallo - Byfield - Athanasiou
Brown - Lizotte - Kaliyev

I would pair Vilardi with speedy wingers just to se what happens

AA - Vilardi - Kempe

If someone asks me, Kopitar can play 4th line minutes

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The problem with that is that non of our center prospects have what it takes to be a winger.
All of them a very skilled playmakers who usually fail on a shooting first mentality position.

If any we would have to pair them with skilled shooters who don't even know there is a d-zone.

But with have to acknowledge this fact first and play accordingly to that, not having those suicide playoff runs that help absolutely nobody but hurt our futures tremendously.

AA - Vilardi - Kempe

Vilardi is not an NHL caliber center.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
The Kings need Quick to stand on his head (done for 1 game) and some of the 3rd&4th liners to take over a game. Kopitar and Danault can’t match McDavid and Drai point for point. A good night they can hopefully keep them to 1 each. But they both need some other players to step up.

That’s what makes a team successful. Dwight King had a series vs the Coyotes, Kopitar neutralized Toews and that 70s line ran wild.

Kings need big big games from 3rd & 4th lines. It’s definitely a shame they aren’t healthy, it would definitely turn this around.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I mean Edmonton is blessed to have two elite forwards but that team isn’t that much better than LA. 5 more shootout wins. Neither team in my mind is a legit contender for the cup but stranger things have happened.

They have 3 more regulation wins on the season and are also 3rd in points percentage since the coaching change. There is something to be said about a midseason coaching change. I will never underestimate the Oilers ability to choke, but they have been on a heater since Tippet was fired(remember when he was our special teams coach?)

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
They have 3 more regulation wins on the season and are also 3rd in points percentage since the coaching change. There is something to be said about a midseason coaching change. I will never underestimate the Oilers ability to choke, but they have been on a heater since Tippet was fired(remember when he was our special teams coach?)
Yes they turned it around and took a chance on Kane which was a boon for them but I’m not gonna act like they are in the same tier as Colorado, Tampa, or Florida. Still not convinced they get past LA if they had an efficient pp. The narrative that have more points in the standings makes them far superior is bullshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Yes they turned it around and took a chance on Kane which was a boon for them but I’m not gonna act like they are in the same tier as Colorado, Tampa, or Florida. Still not convinced they get past LA if they had an efficient pp. the narrative that give more points in the standings makes them far superior is bullshit.

I do agree with the loser point changing peoples perception, but they do have a massive advantage in goal differential as well. The Kings are a +3, while the Oiler are a +38. Like I said, the Oilers do seem to have a great ability to choke, I remember that Oilers-Ducks game so well because I watched it with a friend of mine who was on Oilers fan. I wouldn't be shocked if the Kings take this, but the difference in RW and GD does paint the Oilers as the better team.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I do agree with the loser point changing peoples perception, but they do have a massive advantage in goal differential as well. The Kings are a +3, while the Oiler are a +38. Like I said, the Oilers do seem to have a great ability to choke, I remember that Oilers-Ducks game so well because I watched it with a friend of mine who was on Oilers fan. I wouldn't be shocked if the Kings take this, but the difference in RW and GD does paint the Oilers as the better team.

Having two 100 point scorers tend to help the GD. You have to combine the entire top line on the kings to get 100 points. :laugh:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ok, Now that I have calmed down from the sorry Kings performance last night. It is good the Kings are in the playoffs but they are far from being a Cup coontender. Blake needs to bring in more toughness. I am wondering if the owner has him on a tight lease concerning players salaries, because he is basically biulding off the draft, Blake hasn't made any big splash on top tier free agents. Yes he has brought in a few but not much. At some point Blake will have to bring some top tier free agents that will give them a big jump in the compete level.

The player you want rarely hits free agency. The one guy this year would be Forsberg, but you'll pay absolute top dollar for him, he'll already be 28 at the start of next season, and you'll be paying for more years in his 30's than 20's.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

If things go sideways early tonight it is worh a shot outting Brown back with Kopitar. I am hesitant on Kempe playing third line minutes. Maybe put him on 2nd line as Arvidsson is likely out still.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Having two 100 point scorers tend to help the GD. You have to combine the entire top line on the kings to get 100 points. :laugh:
And those single players are able to force their game down our throats.
Our combined top line isn't able to do that.
Beside that, half of Kempe's goals are empty netters.
We would be golden, if we somehow manage to lead by 1 goal, 2 minutes before the end

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
And those single players are able to force their game down our throats.
Our combined top line isn't able to do that.
Beside that, half of Kempe's goals are empty netters.
We would be golden, if we somehow manage to lead by 1 goal, 2 minutes before the end

I'd settle for not giving up a goal in the last two minutes of a period. it's happened in both games I think.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If you watched Byfiled in junior, at the WJCs, or in the AHL, you knew he wasn't ready to start this year in LA, injury or not.
This, This and This.

Just because a player isn't a superstar at age of 19 doesn't mean he is a bust.
Our youngsters will develop, just give them time.
I see many Kempe's here who break out when being 25

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ok, Now that I have calmed down from the sorry Kings performance last night. It is good the Kings are in the playoffs but they are far from being a Cup coontender. Blake needs to bring in more toughness. I am wondering if the owner has him on a tight lease concerning players salaries, because he is basically biulding off the draft, Blake hasn't made any big splash on top tier free agents. Yes he has brought in a few but not much. At some point Blake will have to bring some top tier free agents that will give them a big jump in the compete level.
There's no such thing as "far" from a cup contender.
Maybe far from a cup favorite. Sure.
But I can easily see the Kings winning this series and the next.
It gets dicey against the Central, IMO.
But final 4, man. Isn't that a cup contender?

AA - Vilardi - Kempe

I can't understand how a team plays Vilardi as a 2-3C all year and the demotes him after a pretty successful year.
Centers don't f***ing go to the AHL to learn how to be a winger. Crazy.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's no such thing as "far" from a cup contender.
Maybe far from a cup favorite. Sure.
But I can easily see the Kings winning this series and the next.
It gets dicey against the Central, IMO.
But final 4, man. Isn't that a cup contender?

I can't understand how a team plays Vilardi as a 2-3C all year and the demotes him after a pretty successful year.
Centers don't f***ing go to the AHL to learn how to be a winger. Crazy.

I know you're new-ish here but this is still the same franchise that tried to turn Brian Boyle into a dman and back again before trashing him, nothing surprises us anymore

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I know you're new-ish here but this is still the same franchise that tried to turn Brian Boyle into a dman and back again before trashing him, nothing surprises us anymore
I seem to recall that Boston College tried to turn Boyle into a dman long before the Kings did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad