GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS Game 2 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm LA leads 1-0

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
No, I think the other way. Mostly on Connors line.

RNH I think has been good this series. Ever since Eakins beat the creativity out of him, he's never really been a prolific 5v5 guy, but he's an above average low event forward. His rookie year was on pace for like 90 points before injury, but he just has hard committed to being a defense first player. He's kind of like a softer Danault or a Bergeron with less pace and more natural talent. Leads to him often being under appreciated, in my opinion.

The way our teams built he has a very specific role which is more or less to kill clock and not get scored on. Sometimes people call him Ryan Nothing Happens, often in a derogatory fashion, but when you look at the makeup of our team... if nothing happens without McDavid or Draisaitl on the ice we're probably quite likely to win on any given night.

He's also a Lynch pin for our special teams, plays the most PK minutes on the team with the best PK minutes and is also a huge contributor to our PP; Nuge is what allows our PP to be so adaptable and dangerous because he enables us to transition seamlessly between a capitals style Umbrella with the Drai one-timer threat and a penguins style overload with McDavid's speed threatening a 2 on 1. He's simultaneously an incredible defensive presence out their as the 4th forward in terms of collecting pucks and distributing the puck, by he also is McDavid's wingman in creating odd man rushes. Without him, our PP is just McDavid 2 on 1 looks or just Draisaitl one-timer looks... and obviously a PP can be very good with just those and beat teams even when you know they are just setting up those kinds of looks, but being able to seamlessly switch from one to the other is what makes the Oilers powerplay generational in that it's been the best in the league for so many years. I think maybe the only other guys in the league that could do that for our PP are like... Makar and Malkin? No one else has the hockey IQ to adapt from being hard offense, but also the only defensive presence, while also transitioning between being a point puck distributor and a quick and dirty one shot scoring threat with his understated but accurate wrist shot.

When Nuge is out, our PK is atrocious and our PP is pedestrian offensively while suddenly allowing tonnes of short handed goals. And then you note that he's a fairly low event player that fosters McDavid and Draisaitl to shine... He's incredibly important to our team. The biggest part of our huge losing skid in the middle of the year, in my opinion, was RNH being out of the lineup.

That being said, i agree that in this particular matchup, I think you'd want him to produce more and create more pressure. Certainly I think the kings are chasing power vs power with Kopi / Danault checking McDrai, and he should be a step up on the kings bottom 6. But I don't think he necessarily needs to drive the offense at 5 on 5 the way this team is constructed. I also think it's maybe unfair to expect him to do so when saddled with guys like Ryan & Archibald.

I think so. Don't get me wrong, I think Todd is a good coach, but I've always seen him as the guy that prepares your team for the best coach to come in and compete rather than the go to guy to go out and compete for a cup.

Koala is great at creating buy in, and great at implementing a structure that allows your team to be successful. Maybe not even just great, but perhaps elite. He can get things out of guys like Moore or Maroon that many guys just can't.

But he has big downfalls in my opinion. For one, he isn't the kind of guy that can make adjustments on the fly; he's a big believer in chemistry, and I think he tailors his system to a singular ideal. This leads to a lack of shuffling when things aren't working, and a lack of being able to win when you aren't driving play. If another team finds a way to counter your style, you're kind of just out in the lurch.

Secondly, I think his special teams are just 20 years behind the curve. They have not really evolved since 2006, and even then... it was kind of an outdated style that was made successful by Thornton / Marleau / Cheechoo.

To win in the playoffs, you need clutch special teams and to be able to adjust to the team in the other side of the ice. And I think both of those are his greatest weakness. Honestly I think Todd is the reason the Sharks never won the cup despite being the winning-est team in the league for a span of 10 to 15 years.
Thanks for the info on RNH. Especially with the Kings weaker bottom 6, you'd think he would produce on offense. But not needed if McDavid and Draisaitl are putting up 5 points a game.

Reactions: iCanada

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the info on RNH. Especially with the Kings weaker bottom 6, you'd think he would produce on offense. But not needed if McDavid and Draisaitl are putting up 5 points a game.
RNH is the gear that makes the oilers work. I forget their record when he is out this year, but it is less than stellar. He does not get enough credit for his two way game IMO. If the oilers had a better defense I could see him playing the Stoll role on route to a cup run.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
1651778930893.png

Game 2 Lines.
The Kempe-Kopitar-Grundstrom line was pretty bad in the third.
The Iafalo-Danault-Moore line spent the day on defense
The Bufled line just got killed.

On a CF basis, Tmac interrupted his two best performing lines last night
The AA-K-Kempe line outshot opponents 8-5 and while they didn't have many scoring chances, they didn't give up much either.
The Brown-Lizotte-Grundstrom line was nearly 50 on CF% and was outshot 2-0.

There's a lot of speculation about "Vilardi."
But where does he fit? He needs to play with skill, and there is no skill in the bottom six.

For next game, I'd replace Byfield with Kupari and shift the bottom five.
I'm gonna keep Brown in because you know he's in.

AA-Kopitar-Kempe
Iafallo-Danault-Moore
Lemieux-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Brown-Kupari-???

For that 4th line, maybe Grundstrom. Maybe Andersson. Maybe Vilardi.

Is JAD available to the kings?
He'd be my choice at 4C.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
View attachment 541184

Game 2 Lines.
The Kempe-Kopitar-Grundstrom line was pretty bad in the third.
The Iafalo-Danault-Moore line spent the day on defense
The Bufled line just got killed.

On a CF basis, Tmac interrupted his two best performing lines last night
The AA-K-Kempe line outshot opponents 8-5 and while they didn't have many scoring chances, they didn't give up much either.
The Brown-Lizotte-Grundstrom line was nearly 50 on CF% and was outshot 2-0.

There's a lot of speculation about "Vilardi."
But where does he fit? He needs to play with skill, and there is no skill in the bottom six.

For next game, I'd replace Byfield with Kupari and shift the bottom five.
I'm gonna keep Brown in because you know he's in.

AA-Kopitar-Kempe
Iafallo-Danault-Moore
Lemieux-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Brown-Kupari-???

For that 4th line, maybe Grundstrom. Maybe Andersson. Maybe Vilardi.

Is JAD available to the kings?
He'd be my choice at 4C.
I wouldn't take Gundstrom out. Also I think a lot of different players can fit with the Danault-Moore pairing.
I'd go:
Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danualt-Grundstrom
Lemieux-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Brown-Byfield-Vilardi.

Vilardi is a bigger body player that I thought started playing more like it before being taken out of the lineup down the stretch. He also makes great passes and I would rather him be in there than other options.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Yeah, honestly his 5v5 production has trended downward almost his entire career year over year, even while playing LW with McDavid or Draisaitl.

But he's a real impact player for us, just touches every aspect of the game and does it in a positive manner. He can be frustrating at times because it's easy to see some elite tools that could make him a star, but he's just kind of understated and conservative.

Often times he would rather just not make a play to avoid making an error, and i can't recall the last time i saw him ice the puck or turn it over. A lot of what makes him good is just positioning and reading the play. In junior and his rookie year he used this to create offense, often drew comparisons to Gretzky in that you just wouldnt notice him and then he'd appear from no where... somehow open in the most dangerous spot on the ice and score. It's any he went 1st overall; no one has really seen the consistent ability to make plays like that since Gretzky. Obviously, he is no where close to Gretzky, and no one ever thought he would be, just a stylistic comparison.

Dallas Eakins told him if he wanted to be successful in this league, defense first, and he took that to heart. Now he uses that hockey IQ almost solely to stay on the right side of the play and pick off pucks defensively.

Just... like I said, it's very understated because you don't see him pull off a sexy back check because he's just almost always on the right side of the puck.

I think there is more potential in RNH that you'dlike to see him unlock, but I also find it hard to put fault on him because he's nearly always moving the needle in the right direction.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wouldn't take Gundstrom out. Also I think a lot of different players can fit with the Danault-Moore pairing.
I'd go:
Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danualt-Grundstrom
Lemieux-Lizotte-Kaliyev
Brown-Byfield-Vilardi.

Vilardi is a bigger body player that I thought started playing more like it before being taken out of the lineup down the stretch. He also makes great passes and I would rather him be in there than other options.
Byfield-Brown-Vilardi is suicide.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
They say that Faber is looking really good, and with Clarke, and Grans coming. Some of the right handed d men are going to have to go once they get a good look at them in a Kings uniform.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Wasn’t the reason for Vilardi being sent down to convert him to a wing? Same for Kupari? Todd moved AA down for Grundstrom, who promptly went -2 in like two minutes next to Kopitar.

Why not scratch Grundstrom, demote AA and then put on the second line with Kopitar one of your first round draft picks who are now supposed to be wingers to prevent being labeled busts.

Reactions: kinghock

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Byfield anke break was most unfortunate in preseason.
He rehabbed well and was back by late December....but he was looking very good when he sustained the injury.
If that had not happened, he would have 3 months more experience and by Jaunuary, would have begun to excel more, I believe - with PP time by then and contributing - rather then the 2 weeks in Ontario and then coming up in January. It is what it is....just thinking he would be doing better than he is now.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Wasn’t the reason for Vilardi being sent down to convert him to a wing? Same for Kupari? Todd moved AA down for Grundstrom, who promptly went -2 in like two minutes next to Kopitar.

Why not scratch Grundstrom, demote AA and then put on the second line with Kopitar one of your first round draft picks who are now supposed to be wingers to prevent being labeled busts.
Because Grundstrom has been physical something that a lot of forwards are missing. I am all for sitting AA

They say that Faber is looking really good, and with Clarke, and Grans coming. Some of the right handed d men are going to have to go once they get a good look at them in a Kings uniform.

I hope a team/teams overpay for Durzi and/or walker.

If I am Blake I am targeting Fletcher. They have holes on the right side (especially if Ellis is injured) and I think Provorov could be had. Obviously not a 1 for 1 but something like Walker + _____ for Provorov

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Why do you think think this will happen all of a sudden during the playoffs?
We have been wondering this all year but its too late now. Fagemo, who clearly wasnt ready, was the only rookie to get a look in the top six until a couple weeks ago when Kaliyev got two points in two games then dropped back down the lineup.
Its either Kopitar specifically doesnt want to play with kids on his line,
the coach wants all the kids to be sheltered whether or not their linemates or roles are a match,
or organizationally they want want their young forwards to learn how to grind before given the keys to be offensive minded.
Either way it aint happening now. Probably not next year either with the top six being set with the contracts of
Moore danault arvidsson
Iafallo kopitar kempe
Lizotte resigned also so the bottom six has room for one center only

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Because Grundstrom has been physical something that a lot of forwards are missing. I am all for sitting AA

I hope a team/teams overpay for Durzi and/or walker.

If I am Blake I am targeting Fletcher. They have holes on the right side (especially if Ellis is injured) and I think Provorov could be had. Obviously not a 1 for 1 but something like Walker + _____ for Provorov
I heard recently that Ellis is supposed to be fully healthy for training camp. Walker doesn't hold much value now and quite honestly he could be a waiver casualty depending on how players perform at training camp.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Why do you think think this will happen all of a sudden during the playoffs?
We have been wondering this all year but its too late now. Fagemo, who clearly wasnt ready, was the only rookie to get a look in the top six until a couple weeks ago when Kaliyev got two points in two games then dropped back down the lineup.
Its either Kopitar specifically doesnt want to play with kids on his line,
the coach wants all the kids to be sheltered whether or not their linemates or roles are a match,
or organizationally they want want their young forwards to learn how to grind before given the keys to be offensive minded.
Either way it aint happening now. Probably not next year either with the top six being set with the contracts of
Moore danault arvidsson
Iafallo kopitar kempe
Lizotte resigned also so the bottom six has room for one center only

Remember how good JAD looked last year too. Looking back at this year I thought he definitely would have got more games in LA. I have not been following him so not sure if he deserves it, but I would have thought ahead of time he would play more.

Reactions: Schmooley

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Swapping out Byfield/Vilardi/Kupari etc will have little impact on the Kings odds in this series.

The biggest change the Kings can make right now to try and improve their odds is adjusting special teams. Do something drastic. I realize it's extremely short notice.

It's unfortunate that Arvidisson (right shot) is out, and Kempe, Kaliyev and Kopitar are all are left shots.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Swapping out Byfield/Vilardi/Kupari etc will have little impact on the Kings odds in this series.

The biggest change the Kings can make right now to try and improve their odds is adjusting special teams. Do something drastic. I realize it's extremely short notice.

It's unfortunate that Arvidisson (right shot) is out, and Kempe, Kaliyev and Kopitar are all are left shots.

Vilardi is a right shot.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Had you said Game 5 in 2014 would be the last home playoff win until at least May 5th, 2022, you would've been out of your mind.
that vegas series still ticks me off. A sweep that has a goal differential of 4, one double oT game, Drew suspended the one game, and just so many bounces Vegas's way.
I wonder how many other time in league history there was a 4 game sweep with a 4 goal diff.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
that vegas series still ticks me off. A sweep that has a goal differential of 4, one double oT game, Drew suspended the one game, and just so many bounces Vegas's way.
I wonder how many other time in league history there was a 4 game sweep with a 4 goal diff.

Last night feels like that series.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Ok, Now that I have calmed down from the sorry Kings performance last night. It is good the Kings are in the playoffs but they are far from being a Cup coontender. Blake needs to bring in more toughness. I am wondering if the owner has him on a tight lease concerning players salaries, because he is basically biulding off the draft, Blake hasn't made any big splash on top tier free agents. Yes he has brought in a few but not much. At some point Blake will have to bring some top tier free agents that will give them a big jump in the compete level.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I just honestly don't think we have enough good players to win this series. We either need rookies to step up or move them for people who will. Maybe we throw darts against the wall and try something like this?

Kempe - Kopitar - Kupari
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Iafallo - Byfield - Athanasiou
Brown - Lizotte - Kaliyev

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
How about Friday night is Brown's final game?

The team needs to be competitive, I think that's being very fair to everyone incl him.

Sorry Brownie will miss you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad