GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER-FINALS GAME 1 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 5/2/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I mean for me personally I already said before the playoffs that it is what it is at this point. Of course it would count in my book. But like I just mentioned in another thread, 'winning' and 'development' aren't as mutually exclusive as these discussions are making them seem, and the kids getting minutes reducing kopitars minutes should theoretically lead to both. Otherwise why not just play Kopitar and Danault 30 each? We know why, and it's up to the coach to find that event horizon. That's been the challenge, and imo, the failure, all season.

And before someone jumps on me obviously we're here and 'failure' is in relative terms but I get the feeling that TM also feels he's going to have to try to win this thing in 4 or 5 because Kopitar getting 25 minutes every 2 days for 6-7 games does not sound like a recipe for success against prime Draisaitl/McDavid. Not because of ability but because Father Time is hiding out in his jersey.

Of course they're not mutually exclusive. Play every kid 25min a night. It doesn't matter to me. Now that the team is in the playoffs though, just win the next game. I don't care if they get to the 3rd rd on the backs of 30 year olds or 20 year olds. I'd never say the playoffs aren't about winning. I would hope no player cares what role they play in the heat of the playoffs. Whatever shift you have, get the job done. Live to fight another day.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – Round 4 'The Oilers don't need to beat the Kings. They just need to beat Quick.'
2nd Period Edition

Woodcroftbeast : Quick looked rattled after that goal. We are only down by 1, we got this​

CupofOil : Some of you guys never learn. The Kings are a worthy opponent, the Oilers have a big problem with them regardless of how they play.​

Mcnofool6110 : Honestly feels like LAK got two very lucky goals. McLellan is the king of the trap, but I think we'll be okay.​

TheNumber4 : Kings already started to leak near the end there. They trap? We need to execute. Simple as that.​

Jimmi McJenkins : Thought Smith was actually really good​

TheNumber4 : McD gets a call. So that Refs can ignore everything on Drai.​

Mav3rick07 : McDavid just exposed LA’s defence without Doughty.​

Woodcroftbeast : Is this Hockey Night in LA? Every person on that panel dislikes the oilers lol​

::Play better, get praise. Learn it.::

TheNumber4 : Kopitar going to hold his way back to relevance. And the League will let him unless we stop it.​

Broberg Speed : LA played solid as a rock that period.​

tardigrade81 : That split save by Quick was something else. Otherwise screw LA. We got this​

Woodcroftbeast : my good friend is a leafs fan, already on social media claiming "we will run over Tampa easily, this is our year, Leafs nation"​

::To good not to share. These Leafs and Oilers fans are ridiculous::

nexttothemoon : Canada is still pretty much the best country in the World... people honestly take where we live for granted.​

Broberg Speed : Athanasiou showed Hyman up big time.​

nabob : Quick was the best player so far IMO. Could very easily be 3-2 Oil. It’s not worth jumping off a 1st story balcony like so many here are ready to.​

harpoon : So far the LA feed is acceptable. Some of the homerism that you’d expect, but not bad. Jared Stoll has the Principe role. Needless to say that’s a big upgrade.​

94 Oil Drops : Honestly it's no surprise. LA was never going to be easy to beat as a lot of people thought.​

::Not so sure about that... everyone including Oilers fans were calling the series an easy sweep::

ZJuice : My woman only wants it when I’m dead tired and have convinced myself to accept celibacy. A very sad life​

::WTF::

EnufAlready : Good dive. We will take it!​

Woodcroftbeast : gotta admit that was a weak call​

::"tripping" on AI::

Husker Du : Mclelland’s herpes are growing by the minute.​

Senor Catface : The Kings PK is super passive.​

Jimmi McJenkins : Ridiculous save from Quick​

Ritchie Valens : The Oilers don't need to beat the Kings. They just need to beat Quick.​

TheNumber4 : That was vintage Quick. But it’s fine. He can’t get em all.​

lopper : Man Quick has been lights out so far. Keep firing away and something going to go in eventually​

oobga : friggin Quick. hate that guy​

TB12 : Playoff Keith Mother f***in Activated!​

Jay Daddy : Can't stop everything Quick!​

Wretched Oil : Bold prediction: Quick is getting old and tired, watch him suck wind as the game goes on....​

Jay Daddy : So Smith is bad again? Bad timing​

Trafalgar McLaw : Another year another playoffs of the Oilers having the worse goalie. When does Ken Holland get fired again?​

TKB21 : Yep here we f***ing go again with shit tending.​

OfCorsiDid : missed call ends up in our net. Tale as old as time.​

xoczar99ox : Quick >>>>>>>>Smith.​

BlackMcDog : Smith is 40​

Tobias Kahun : Danault doing more flopping around. Hes drawn 2 calls like that so far.​

Anarchism : love quick .....hate quick​

nexttothemoon : If Danault or Kopitar did that it would have been a smart veteran play... no penalty.​

snipes : Danault diving like a bitch​

PaPaDee : Kings have looked much better so far. Or we’ve looked that bad. Maybe both.​

CycloneSweep : Honestly, our crowd is really quiet compared to Toronto too but that could be sound mixing​

:: :laugh: ::

Oil rise to the top : Just need another pp called in our favour for that atrocious hooking call​

BlackMcDog : The Kings are getting acclimated to steer wrestling and getting away with it​

Cloned : Kozari has been good.​

:: Ya, because you guys got 2-3 phantom calls, 2 of which led to goals ::

Tobias Kahun : Blatant crosscheck.​

Shut the f*** up tmac, chew some more gum​

Del Preston : McLellan has yelled at the officials more tonight than he did in 3+ yea​

SourOil : Todd you stupid porcupine​

BudBundy : Screw that Koala.​

:: :laugh: ::

Zguy370 : Glad we got rid of Todd what a WHINER!​

lopper : Starting to look like tackle football in the Kings zone​

nexttothemoon : I guess mauling is allowed...​

Ginger Papa : That hustle by Hyman, along with his work along the boards is why I think he’s such an effective player and don’t have an issue with his signing.​

:: Don't enjoy your work on these boards @Ginger Papa ::

OfCorsiDid :
f1ad6144-9441-47da-be6e-7ebd9fb63796-jpeg.539529

BudBundy : shove it in Quick, Drai.​

Arctic Fox : The Germans are coming... for LA.​

Woodcroftbeast : Quick is getting PISSED after every goal, I think we're getting under his skin​

:: Clearly, you haven't seen Quick pissed ::

BlackMcDog : This is where we shine​

:: Yes, we know, whining for PP's because it was O'Clock when you last had one ::

russ99 : Damn we caught huge breaks on usual non-playoff calls.​

Oil rise to the top : Now we just need another pp and we'll be golden for drawing first blood in the series​

syz : Smith is a heart attack. Jesus christ.​

SourOil : Drai giving the stick to Durzi hahaha​

Sanchez : Haha refs calling shit!! Let's get the lead here!!!​

RandomGuy79 : Can't say we aren't getting the calls.​

A lot more PPs than what I was expecting.​

Jimmi McJenkins : If they're going to call the tackles, the kings are screwed​

Oilslick941611 : Drai size is taking its toll on the Kings.​

nexttothemoon : If they actually call penalties... Kings are f***ed​

Oil rise to the top : Another pp, haha​

FanOfSadTeam : That's a lucky call​

tardigrade81 : PP. might have got away with one there lol​

NeverForget06 : We're actually getting calls what is going on​

KeithIsJustOkay : Can’t be upset with the reffing tonight.​

walktheboulavard : No they read up the rule book before the game. I am slightly impressed.​

TheNumber4 : Y’all catch that frustration and fear in Kopi’s eyes? We could easily break the Kings spirit​

Ritchie Valens : If not for Quick, the Oil could be up 5.​

:: If not for weak calls, you guys would be shitting your pants ::

harpoon : Team is getting the calls. No one should be complaining about the refs tonight.​

syz : Smith a pubic hair away from immediately giving LA the lead again.​

FanOfSadTeam : Every LA shot is stressful​

Mcnofool6110 : This is simultaneously the best and worst playoff game I've seen​

russ99 : Every LA entry is stressful. Nice effort going back to prevent a break last shift.​

phrenssoa : Let’s try not to complain about “California reffing” in games 3 and 4 after this one, okay fellas?​

:: Thanks Goodness someone said it! ::

DrDrai : The kings get chances by countering our mistakes, we can limit them if we limit our offensive messes.​

BlackMcDog : They've been making decent calls and we feel like we won the california lottery​

TheNumber4 : That’s not holding you dumbass refs. But thank god for the too many men.​

Yeah the Kings are screwed if they start calling tackling cause that means more kings power plays.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
The Oilers are already taking questions about "ghosts of playoff pasts" from the media. Hopefully the pressure cracks 'em.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – Round 3 'Death, taxes, the Oilers blowing it in the playoffs.'
1st Period Edition

Tobias Kahun : Cali refs, love it​

Garbo Man : Not saying it wasn't a penalty. But if some dude throws a huge elbow right after he should be heading to the box too. Shit is f***ing dangerous​

DrDrai : Smith holding this team in it right now.​

Black Gold Extractor : Smith looks amazing so far.​

Stealth1616 : Oilers haven’t realized they are playing a playoff game Jesus​

RalphKing : Really dislike Kempe​

snag : f*** off Kopitar​

DrDrai : Fans are a bit rusty, booing a good LA hit​

Ginger Papa : What a Save​

Smitty!​

ca85abcb-30d5-484a-be22-60e8a5cee99c-gif.539488

:: F Off @Ginger Papa::

snipes : Kings players are gassed out there​

TopShelfGloveSide : My heart has been beating at like 160 clicks for 3 straight minutes.​

TheNumber4 : Thank god Smitty is on. We being dragged into a fight and not focusing on our game.​

oobga : Kopitar is allowed to have one arm out grabbing at all times when he checks I guess?​

BlackMcDog : Selke quality​

GOilers88 : I think they look fine​

Pizza!Pizza! : All part of the plan, letting the Kings tire themselves out running all over the ice.....​

Ginger Papa : FWIW, I watched a similar start by Carolina earlier and it took them almost 10 minutes to settle in. Once they did, it was their Game.​

I see the same thing happening here. Not worried at all about the Boys.​

::FWIW You smell, @Ginger Papa::

snag : HOLY f***!!!! A PENALTY FOR MCDAVID??!?!?!​

What is this heresy!​

Ritchie Valens : The ref over in the next continent called that one lol​

Skar : I'm loving the crowd! Certainly helped draw that call​

Royisgone : I picked the wrong weak to quit sniffing glue.​

vaniitio : Kinda pathetic that the back ref had to call it. The other ref was 3ft away from the play​

TheNumber4 : I love that penalty by Yamo now. Set the predicent so Refs CALL holding. Like I said earlier, turn this into a special teams battle by making the refs do the obvious game management.​

nexttothemoon : McDavid is going to be mauled, manhandled, accosted, maimed and mugged all series long... the rest of the team is going to have to really step up because he's going to be neutralized with the way they are going to hang off him.​

walktheboulavard : I still find it wild McDavid hadn't drawn a single PP in 4 games against the Jets.​

snipes : Smith just steadying the ship early was so huge. Momentum starting to shift, we’re a faster and better team than the Kings.​

Ritchie Valens : Iafallo? More like Iafellatio.​

Jay Daddy : Mikey Anderson looking like a prime Drew Doughty. Wtf lol​

tardigrade81 : Ugh. Quick being Quick​

Jimmi McJenkins : Since the start and the pk, the Oilers have really pushed back on the kings. Keep it up​

Senor Catface : McDavid struggling against Kopitar on the dot​

walktheboulavard : I think we're winning this game.​

VainGretzky : I knew Kings were going to score when I seen Smith with half his leg in the net​

Behind Enemy Lines : Text book road period. Kings are fast, stifling Oiler zone entries, and killing in the face off dot. Oil have to find 'playoff intensity'.​

Garbo Man : Kopitar lays out an Oiler in open ice when the puck is no where near them. No call​

tardigrade81 : Typical refs in playoffs. It’s sickening​

Ginger Papa : Going to a home Oilers Playoff Game is on my bucket list. What an atmosphere!​

::Have fun! Just don't try to win us back over with your memes. They won't work!::

Jay Daddy : So AA is a 2 way player now? Interesting​

CupofOil : The Kings are running their show. The boys are clearly flustered​

Mez : Looks like the Kings have figured out the secret that shooting the puck is required to score.​

russ99 : We‘re getting smoked. Losing every faceoff and board battle.​

snag : f***s sake Oilers....the kings feet are always moving. You can't say the same​

KCC : Kings are dominating. They are playing their game quite easily right now.​

Oilhawks : Kings with the babies on D and they are the poised ones. Lmao​

Jay Daddy : We should be generating a whole lot more against this LA defense for f*** sakes​

Mez : LA 75% on FO's​

snipes : We’re going to win this game, guys need to wake up.​

We had some momentum going before the Kings goal. Kings have carried the play since that again, the Oilers need to wake up.​

Ginger Papa : I would agree in some ways, though the Boys had momentum before the Goal. I have faith they’ll get it back.​

:: @Ginger Papa "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Or in this case, the final score.

RandomGuy79 : The way Sportsnet is talking you'd think LA just came off a 70 win season.​

syz : Kings can just keep icing the puck because they know they'll win the faceoff anyways.​

BlackMcDog : The Kings look so much more confident. The home crowd likely not helping​

Ritchie Valens : f***ing Quick. Anyone saying he was washed up is wrong.​

walktheboulavard : Every other series had like 4 PPs by now.​

::These idiots just want PP's because they think they are owned PP time at certain intervals. Newsflash – you get penalties called against the other team with sustained pressure::

TKB21 : Yep, team is still dog shit in the playoffs.​

TheNumber4 : We’re not generating any speed. Kings are. Everything we try to do is met with interference and holding. Need to pay back in kind.​

snag : Bs....AA hooks arms on him and hauled him down​

walktheboulavard : What the f*** how's that not a penalty. Why do the Oilers get different officiating from every other team.​

Faelko : Nice play by Moore​

Sanchez : 2014 Quick showed up​

Faelko : Oh good, Quick is in the zone…lol​

tardigrade81 : OMG Quick and that split save. Good god. He’s beautiful. f*** it’s upsetting to see us not get one past him.​

Ritchie Valens : 2012 Quick is here.​

f***.​

Oilhawks : Kings suck but these guys are going to make them look like contenders.​

Mcnofool6110 : Someone tell Draisaitl LAK is actually Anaheim.​

OfCorsiDid : Death, taxes, the Oilers blowing it in the playoffs.​

FanOfSadTeam : Quick is gonna get a shutout​

Behind Enemy Lines : Struggling against the Kings speed. Quick looks dialled in.​

KCC : Kings don't even look like they are trying. Complete domination outside of the PP and one shift. They deserve this period. EDM forgot it's the playoffs I guess. Some intensity but they need to work much harder.​

Sanchez : McJESUS SAVE US!!!!!!​

Jimmi McJenkins : Thankfully the best player on the planet is on this team. What a goal​

gordonhught : Connor going to get in Quicks head​

CupofOil : Well, one guy showed up for this game. It would be nice if somebody else did at some point.​

Jay Daddy : Alright coming back from the ledge​

Messrules11 : HAHA FU LA​

::Bro you were losing to team with a bunch of rookies (and without Doughty) and scored a goal to make it 2-1... and still down by 1 goal... in the 1st::

Ginger Papa : Nice saves by Quick. Cannot fault Smitty for their 2.​

Just keep that pressure going, Boys. One shift at a time. Get a Goal, then another.​

:: @Ginger Papa eat shit, Ginger::

Jimmi McJenkins : Lucky it's close. They need to be alot better. This Kings team isn't that good. Lots of time left and there will be chances​

NeverForget06 : Two bad plays, two goals against. We're the better team. If we play like it we won't have a problem with the Kings​

CycloneSweep : If the kings aren’t that good, neither are we​

Jimmi McJenkins : This game feels old school, in that it's like a football game with the tackles and blocks. This team will be fine, if they work on details and calm down​

ThreeOfAPerfectPair :​

Reading all these Oiler fans proclaiming victory already makes me want to win this series all the more. My goodness I said it before I don't care what we do the next round just beat the whiney Oilers and their fans.

RonM11

Nov 2, 2021
Brea, California
What a bunch of f***ing whiners. Is there a law in Canada that internet access is only given to people 13 and under?
For a Canadian fanbase, I am continually astonished over the years how ignorant and emotional Edmonton fans are. Probably from years of entitlement dating back to the 1980s. I think a study of the psychological makeup of Edmonton Oiler fans would be quite instructive.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Top-3 Oilers/Sens poster right here, :cheers:
Hahaha thanks buddy!

If the other two were to “disappear” would I be number 1

Seriously though this is a good board. Some boards I wouldn’t dare touch like Toronto or Calgary or New York Rangers. Kings fans for the most part have always been decent!!

Coyotes fans as well! The 4 fans over there are super good dudes.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Hahaha thanks buddy!

Seriously though this is a good board. Some boards I wouldn’t dare touch like Toronto or Calgary or New York Rangers. Kings fans for the most part have always been decent!!

The Yotes have four fans? Didn’t think there were that many around.

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Hahaha thanks buddy!

The Toronto board is a ton of fun.

I've been lowkey hanging out over there the same amount of time here. :laugh: (Sorry fellow Kings fans 💕)

• Haha

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The Toronto board is a ton of fun.

I've been lowkey hanging out over there the same amount of time here. :laugh: (Sorry fellow Kings fans 💕)
Lol they aren’t as bad as Flames fans. But Flames and Oilers fans hate each other a lot. I spend a ton of time on the Sens board, but right now it’s not too active lmao 😂

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Hahaha thanks buddy!

I was about to wonder why you were cool .. then i noticed your from gods province .. haha saskatchewan :)

• Love

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I was about to wonder why you were cool .. then i noticed your from gods province .. haha saskatchewan :)
The best ice cream and pizza places around!!!!

Most fans from LA probably don’t know what Saskatchewan is haha. Though it’s a bit more famous because apparently Brock Lesnar lives here on a farm somewhere lol

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
The best ice cream and pizza places around!!!!

Most fans from LA probably don’t know what Saskatchewan is haha. Though it’s a bit more famous because apparently Brock Lesnar lives here on a farm somewhere lol
dont forget deadpool is from here as well ... although fictional still cool ... haha from the city that rhymes with fun .. if i got my quote right

• Haha

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
LA was a two-unit group because Byfield was a mess and Lizotte was anchored by two slow guys.
TMac has a hard choice to make.
Do you tempt fate and change the lineup after a win? Arvidsson may make the question elementary.

But you can't play lines you don't trust.
I'd consider removing Byfield for Kupari.

Also think Lemieux needs to play with Lizotte to be effective.

I agree Lemieux should be back with Lizotte and Kaliyev. That line was a great 4th line for a lot of the year.
Sounds like arvidson is out.
I thought QB looked like trash the first half of the game but then settled in a bit. I liked the hit he took as it meant he was doing something to be hit. That said I would be ok with him coming out. LA has options on the bottom 6 that need to be explored if the other option is putting your top 6 out every shift

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
dont forget deadpool is from here as well ... although fictional still cool ... haha from the city that rhymes with fun .. if i got my quote right
Lol, it’s not a bad city. Where myself and my wife and son live; we get all kinds of entertainment.

My brother is a rich engineer making 150,000 a year so he lives in the rich neighbour hood. He doesn’t get the entertainment we do lmao 😂 😂

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
The Oilers are already taking questions about "ghosts of playoff pasts" from the media. Hopefully the pressure cracks 'em.
It's amazing what planting a seed can do. Almost like psyching someone out that you are playing against in anything competitive. I remember how much anxiety we all had back before we won our first Cup. Collectively, you need enough skill, leadership and determination to adapt, improvise and overcome.

2012 Cup - We were so dialed in from a defensive and goaltending standpoint. We had excellent possession numbers, led in a majority of the games and played amazing excellent on the road.

2014 Cup - We had to persevere, keep believing, rise to the occasion and get a little luck (especially with that Hawks series). This one was much more difficult to watch with all the game 7s, but felt a lot more rewarding in the end.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Lol, it’s not a bad city. Where myself and my wife and son live; we get all kinds of entertainment.

My brother is a rich engineer making 150,000 a year so he lives in the rich neighbour hood. He doesn’t get the entertainment we do lmao 😂 😂
haha yah for sure, I lived a year or two in regina .. didnt mind it at all ... also i love robins coffee and i think its one of 2 locations in the province

• Love

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
haha yah for sure, I lived a year or two in regina .. didnt mind it at all ... also i love robins coffee and i think its one of 2 locations in the province
Yes me too!!!!! Their coffee and donuts are fantastic. We only have I think two or three locations now. Tim Hortons is on every block now it seems.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How they win is more important at this time.
I think that’s the issue with the people on this board. They see a W and think that the Kings did something right and cannot change what they did.. however that’s not the case. It’s obvious who here has played sports and who here hasn’t, winning is the point but is the method sustainable? I don’t think so. Kopitar was great yes, but who here hasn’t seen Anze work out this year ? He’s shown wear for sure. I think wearing him out is essentially neutralizing him so the unsustainable method pretty much shows why it’s a problem. The Kings won but playing Kopitar to death isn’t the way you win the whole picture.

And honestly it’s just bad coaching. It suggests not only does the coach not trust the other players but also that the coach is unwilling to adapt mid game. And Anyone who’s played teams back to back, or even done a one on one back to back for a set or series will know that the opposition picks up on your habits and tendencies. They adapt to it. Then you have to start tweaking your game plan. That’s how it works, and that’s one reason why Todd fails in post season. Unwilling to adapt. Kings are winning but it’s not in the correct way. It seems to me that it’s based on fear and a lack of trust in the line up. So yes. The way you win absolutely matters.

I don’t think people realize how important your approach is. It’s as important as the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad