GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER-FINALS GAME 1 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 5/2/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I get 'why' on the playing time last night but it needs to be ever-increasing. I don't care if you get last change, 5 minutes is a sign of bad coaching/in-game adjustments, not sheltering. Thats an inability to escape matchups. Even if you stack their minutes--which isn't an accurate assessment becasue both were on the ice at the same time for extended periods on special teams especially--mcdavid and draisaitl only played 44 minutes. That's 16 minutes to find time for a bottom six.

Both Byfield and Kaliyev--as well as Spence--looked better and better as the game went along. They had MAJOR jitters in the first, but I'd also argue they learned a lot and got up to speed pretty quickly. Kaliyev in particular looked completely in control late in the game. Those depth matchups will be important. So sure, take care the first two games, but use them heavily at home.

I also wouldn't say they 'got creamed', the percentages look bad because they got such little ice time. Hell a couple more shots for Byfield and hes suddenly the team advanced stats leader by percentages. Would anyone let me call him dominant if that were the case? of course not they'd be slamming the tiny sample size rightfully.

But more than all that like I said earlier, easiest way to increaes their icetime and soften Kopitar's load is to start PP2 instead of giving them the scraps of the last 20 seconds.
Does anyone remember Muzzin looking like ass in his first playoff with the Kings in 2013, then what happened in 2014?

In 2013 Muzzin played close to 16 minutes a game in the playoffs, and many here called him Muffin.

In 2014 Muzzin played over 23 minutes a game in the playoffs, and he was a key player in the Kings Stanley Cup winning season.

The Kings had a lot more to lose in 2013, and Muzzin played. Let the kid forwards play at least 10 minutes a game McLellan ffs.

In the 2013 playoffs 20-year old Toffoli averaged 10:46 of ice time. Kind of destroys the narrative of Sutter not trusting the kids to do anything.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I just don't understand why people see it as this crazy all or nothing proposition, though. If Byfield playing more than 5 minutes and Lemieux playing more than 3 minutes means we lose by whatever crystal ball you're using, then put someone else in the lineup. Play 11-7. Change Kupari out. Who cares. The complaint is having tools at your disposal and misusing them time after time. I've posted easy enough solutions above.

The macro-complaint, of course, is always kicking the can down the road by saying 'the kids aren't ready.' So we aren't going to play them midseason when were out of the playoff race. We can't play them now when we're heating up. We can't play them now because we need every point. We can't play them now because we're in the playoffs. At what point do you just need to have some confidence and creative coaching to squeeze a few more minutes out of your depth and a few fewer minutes out of your top six? We were in charge of the game at 5v5, and it was pretty easy to see a shift pattern develop even from the comfort of my couch.

So sure, we won game 1, probably gassed the top sixers on both teams a bit--later in the series when depth is important you only hope that the single digit minutes you've given your depth are enough to sharpen them for the challenge. And then of course at that point you just pray the self fulfilling prophecy of "see? told you the kids aren't ready" isn't true because you didn't play them all season so of course they're not f***ing prepared.

I wouldn't have done it the way TM has done it all year long. I figured signing Danault meant 5 minutes less per game for Kopitar, however, it truly does not matter at the moment. Are these playoffs really supposed to be about winning? That's an absurd question. Brought on by what can only be called a cult-ish like devotion to some ideal process of rebuilding.

I cannot imagine anyone on this roster doesn't want 15 more wins, however it has to get done. Fine, question the tool use, but, my goodness, should these playoffs be about winning? Because future success is guaranteed to those who tank and rebuild?

If Byfield, Kaliyev, and Vilardi are ruined as hockey players after these playoffs because they barely played, but the Kings win the Cup, there will be other prospects to pick.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How they win is more important at this time.

Insane. Go tell Danault, Edler, and Quick how they're winning is more important than winning. Not even in the playing winning hockey type how, but rather the right guys are getting the wrong minutes how.

I wouldn't play Kopitar a million minutes, especially during the regular season, but goddamn. Should this really be about winning? If they somehow won it all, but Kaliyev got 9 minutes in a clinching Game 6, it would invalidate the Cup, wouldnt it? That's funny. Does the dislike for Robitaille and Blake cut that deep?

Play Byfield 23min a night, I don't care. Kopitar just 11, with 9 at ES and 2 on the PK. However they have to win. Whatever needs to be done to win the next game.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Insane. Go tell Danault, Edler, and Quick how they're winning is more important than winning. Not even in the playing winning hockey type how, but rather the right guys are getting the wrong minutes how.

I wouldn't play Kopitar a million minutes, especially during the regular season, but goddamn. Should this really be about winning? If they somehow won it all, but Kaliyev got 9 minutes in a clinching Game 6, it would invalidate the Cup, wouldnt it? That's funny. Does the dislike for Robitaille and Blake cut that deep?

Play Byfield 23min a night, I don't care. Kopitar just 11, with 9 at ES and 2 on the PK. However they have to win. Whatever needs to be done to win the next game.
Yeah, it's been proven time and time again around here that I am insane and don't know what I am talking about when it comes to Kings hockey.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – Round 3 'Death, taxes, the Oilers blowing it in the playoffs.'
1st Period Edition

Tobias Kahun : Cali refs, love it​

Garbo Man : Not saying it wasn't a penalty. But if some dude throws a huge elbow right after he should be heading to the box too. Shit is f***ing dangerous​

DrDrai : Smith holding this team in it right now.​

Black Gold Extractor : Smith looks amazing so far.​

Stealth1616 : Oilers haven’t realized they are playing a playoff game Jesus​

RalphKing : Really dislike Kempe​

snag : f*** off Kopitar​

DrDrai : Fans are a bit rusty, booing a good LA hit​

Ginger Papa : What a Save​

Smitty!​

ca85abcb-30d5-484a-be22-60e8a5cee99c-gif.539488

:: F Off @Ginger Papa::

snipes : Kings players are gassed out there​

TopShelfGloveSide : My heart has been beating at like 160 clicks for 3 straight minutes.​

TheNumber4 : Thank god Smitty is on. We being dragged into a fight and not focusing on our game.​

oobga : Kopitar is allowed to have one arm out grabbing at all times when he checks I guess?​

BlackMcDog : Selke quality​

GOilers88 : I think they look fine​

Pizza!Pizza! : All part of the plan, letting the Kings tire themselves out running all over the ice.....​

Ginger Papa : FWIW, I watched a similar start by Carolina earlier and it took them almost 10 minutes to settle in. Once they did, it was their Game.​

I see the same thing happening here. Not worried at all about the Boys.​

::FWIW You smell, @Ginger Papa::

snag : HOLY f***!!!! A PENALTY FOR MCDAVID??!?!?!​

What is this heresy!​

Ritchie Valens : The ref over in the next continent called that one lol​

Skar : I'm loving the crowd! Certainly helped draw that call​

Royisgone : I picked the wrong weak to quit sniffing glue.​

vaniitio : Kinda pathetic that the back ref had to call it. The other ref was 3ft away from the play​

TheNumber4 : I love that penalty by Yamo now. Set the predicent so Refs CALL holding. Like I said earlier, turn this into a special teams battle by making the refs do the obvious game management.​

nexttothemoon : McDavid is going to be mauled, manhandled, accosted, maimed and mugged all series long... the rest of the team is going to have to really step up because he's going to be neutralized with the way they are going to hang off him.​

walktheboulavard : I still find it wild McDavid hadn't drawn a single PP in 4 games against the Jets.​

snipes : Smith just steadying the ship early was so huge. Momentum starting to shift, we’re a faster and better team than the Kings.​

Ritchie Valens : Iafallo? More like Iafellatio.​

Jay Daddy : Mikey Anderson looking like a prime Drew Doughty. Wtf lol​

tardigrade81 : Ugh. Quick being Quick​

Jimmi McJenkins : Since the start and the pk, the Oilers have really pushed back on the kings. Keep it up​

Senor Catface : McDavid struggling against Kopitar on the dot​

walktheboulavard : I think we're winning this game.​

VainGretzky : I knew Kings were going to score when I seen Smith with half his leg in the net​

Behind Enemy Lines : Text book road period. Kings are fast, stifling Oiler zone entries, and killing in the face off dot. Oil have to find 'playoff intensity'.​

Garbo Man : Kopitar lays out an Oiler in open ice when the puck is no where near them. No call​

tardigrade81 : Typical refs in playoffs. It’s sickening​

Ginger Papa : Going to a home Oilers Playoff Game is on my bucket list. What an atmosphere!​

::Have fun! Just don't try to win us back over with your memes. They won't work!::

Jay Daddy : So AA is a 2 way player now? Interesting​

CupofOil : The Kings are running their show. The boys are clearly flustered​

Mez : Looks like the Kings have figured out the secret that shooting the puck is required to score.​

russ99 : We‘re getting smoked. Losing every faceoff and board battle.​

snag : f***s sake Oilers....the kings feet are always moving. You can't say the same​

KCC : Kings are dominating. They are playing their game quite easily right now.​

Oilhawks : Kings with the babies on D and they are the poised ones. Lmao​

Jay Daddy : We should be generating a whole lot more against this LA defense for f*** sakes​

Mez : LA 75% on FO's​

snipes : We’re going to win this game, guys need to wake up.​

We had some momentum going before the Kings goal. Kings have carried the play since that again, the Oilers need to wake up.​

Ginger Papa : I would agree in some ways, though the Boys had momentum before the Goal. I have faith they’ll get it back.​

:: @Ginger Papa "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Or in this case, the final score.

RandomGuy79 : The way Sportsnet is talking you'd think LA just came off a 70 win season.​

syz : Kings can just keep icing the puck because they know they'll win the faceoff anyways.​

BlackMcDog : The Kings look so much more confident. The home crowd likely not helping​

Ritchie Valens : f***ing Quick. Anyone saying he was washed up is wrong.​

walktheboulavard : Every other series had like 4 PPs by now.​

::These idiots just want PP's because they think they are owned PP time at certain intervals. Newsflash – you get penalties called against the other team with sustained pressure::

TKB21 : Yep, team is still dog shit in the playoffs.​

TheNumber4 : We’re not generating any speed. Kings are. Everything we try to do is met with interference and holding. Need to pay back in kind.​

snag : Bs....AA hooks arms on him and hauled him down​

walktheboulavard : What the f*** how's that not a penalty. Why do the Oilers get different officiating from every other team.​

Faelko : Nice play by Moore​

Sanchez : 2014 Quick showed up​

Faelko : Oh good, Quick is in the zone…lol​

tardigrade81 : OMG Quick and that split save. Good god. He’s beautiful. f*** it’s upsetting to see us not get one past him.​

Ritchie Valens : 2012 Quick is here.​

f***.​

Oilhawks : Kings suck but these guys are going to make them look like contenders.​

Mcnofool6110 : Someone tell Draisaitl LAK is actually Anaheim.​

OfCorsiDid : Death, taxes, the Oilers blowing it in the playoffs.​

FanOfSadTeam : Quick is gonna get a shutout​

Behind Enemy Lines : Struggling against the Kings speed. Quick looks dialled in.​

KCC : Kings don't even look like they are trying. Complete domination outside of the PP and one shift. They deserve this period. EDM forgot it's the playoffs I guess. Some intensity but they need to work much harder.​

Sanchez : McJESUS SAVE US!!!!!!​

Jimmi McJenkins : Thankfully the best player on the planet is on this team. What a goal​

gordonhught : Connor going to get in Quicks head​

CupofOil : Well, one guy showed up for this game. It would be nice if somebody else did at some point.​

Jay Daddy : Alright coming back from the ledge​

Messrules11 : HAHA FU LA​

::Bro you were losing to team with a bunch of rookies (and without Doughty) and scored a goal to make it 2-1... and still down by 1 goal... in the 1st::

Ginger Papa : Nice saves by Quick. Cannot fault Smitty for their 2.​

Just keep that pressure going, Boys. One shift at a time. Get a Goal, then another.​

:: @Ginger Papa eat shit, Ginger::

Jimmi McJenkins : Lucky it's close. They need to be alot better. This Kings team isn't that good. Lots of time left and there will be chances​

NeverForget06 : Two bad plays, two goals against. We're the better team. If we play like it we won't have a problem with the Kings​

CycloneSweep : If the kings aren’t that good, neither are we​

Jimmi McJenkins : This game feels old school, in that it's like a football game with the tackles and blocks. This team will be fine, if they work on details and calm down​

ThreeOfAPerfectPair :​

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – Round 3 'Death, taxes, the Oilers blowing it in the playoffs.'
1st Period Edition

Tobias Kahun : Cali refs, love it​

Garbo Man : Not saying it wasn't a penalty. But if some dude throws a huge elbow right after he should be heading to the box too. Shit is f***ing dangerous​

DrDrai : Smith holding this team in it right now.​

Black Gold Extractor : Smith looks amazing so far.​

Stealth1616 : Oilers haven’t realized they are playing a playoff game Jesus​

RalphKing : Really dislike Kempe​

snag : f*** off Kopitar​

DrDrai : Fans are a bit rusty, booing a good LA hit​

Ginger Papa : What a Save​

Smitty!​

ca85abcb-30d5-484a-be22-60e8a5cee99c-gif.539488

:: F Off @Ginger Papa::

snipes : Kings players are gassed out there​

TopShelfGloveSide : My heart has been beating at like 160 clicks for 3 straight minutes.​

TheNumber4 : Thank god Smitty is on. We being dragged into a fight and not focusing on our game.​

oobga : Kopitar is allowed to have one arm out grabbing at all times when he checks I guess?​

BlackMcDog : Selke quality​

GOilers88 : I think they look fine​

Pizza!Pizza! : All part of the plan, letting the Kings tire themselves out running all over the ice.....​

Ginger Papa : FWIW, I watched a similar start by Carolina earlier and it took them almost 10 minutes to settle in. Once they did, it was their Game.​

I see the same thing happening here. Not worried at all about the Boys.​

::FWIW You smell, @Ginger Papa::

snag : HOLY f***!!!! A PENALTY FOR MCDAVID??!?!?!​

What is this heresy!​

Ritchie Valens : The ref over in the next continent called that one lol​

Skar : I'm loving the crowd! Certainly helped draw that call​

Royisgone : I picked the wrong weak to quit sniffing glue.​

vaniitio : Kinda pathetic that the back ref had to call it. The other ref was 3ft away from the play​

TheNumber4 : I love that penalty by Yamo now. Set the predicent so Refs CALL holding. Like I said earlier, turn this into a special teams battle by making the refs do the obvious game management.​

nexttothemoon : McDavid is going to be mauled, manhandled, accosted, maimed and mugged all series long... the rest of the team is going to have to really step up because he's going to be neutralized with the way they are going to hang off him.​

walktheboulavard : I still find it wild McDavid hadn't drawn a single PP in 4 games against the Jets.​

snipes : Smith just steadying the ship early was so huge. Momentum starting to shift, we’re a faster and better team than the Kings.​

Ritchie Valens : Iafallo? More like Iafellatio.​

Jay Daddy : Mikey Anderson looking like a prime Drew Doughty. Wtf lol​

tardigrade81 : Ugh. Quick being Quick​

Jimmi McJenkins : Since the start and the pk, the Oilers have really pushed back on the kings. Keep it up​

Senor Catface : McDavid struggling against Kopitar on the dot​

walktheboulavard : I think we're winning this game.​

VainGretzky : I knew Kings were going to score when I seen Smith with half his leg in the net​

Behind Enemy Lines : Text book road period. Kings are fast, stifling Oiler zone entries, and killing in the face off dot. Oil have to find 'playoff intensity'.​

Garbo Man : Kopitar lays out an Oiler in open ice when the puck is no where near them. No call​

tardigrade81 : Typical refs in playoffs. It’s sickening​

Ginger Papa : Going to a home Oilers Playoff Game is on my bucket list. What an atmosphere!​

::Have fun! Just don't try to win us back over with your memes. They won't work!::

Jay Daddy : So AA is a 2 way player now? Interesting​

CupofOil : The Kings are running their show. The boys are clearly flustered​

Mez : Looks like the Kings have figured out the secret that shooting the puck is required to score.​

russ99 : We‘re getting smoked. Losing every faceoff and board battle.​

snag : f***s sake Oilers....the kings feet are always moving. You can't say the same​

KCC : Kings are dominating. They are playing their game quite easily right now.​

Oilhawks : Kings with the babies on D and they are the poised ones. Lmao​

Jay Daddy : We should be generating a whole lot more against this LA defense for f*** sakes​

Mez : LA 75% on FO's​

snipes : We’re going to win this game, guys need to wake up.​

We had some momentum going before the Kings goal. Kings have carried the play since that again, the Oilers need to wake up.​

Ginger Papa : I would agree in some ways, though the Boys had momentum before the Goal. I have faith they’ll get it back.​

:: @Ginger Papa "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Or in this case, the final score.

RandomGuy79 : The way Sportsnet is talking you'd think LA just came off a 70 win season.​

syz : Kings can just keep icing the puck because they know they'll win the faceoff anyways.​

BlackMcDog : The Kings look so much more confident. The home crowd likely not helping​

Ritchie Valens : f***ing Quick. Anyone saying he was washed up is wrong.​

walktheboulavard : Every other series had like 4 PPs by now.​

::These idiots just want PP's because they think they are owned PP time at certain intervals. Newsflash – you get penalties called against the other team with sustained pressure::

TKB21 : Yep, team is still dog shit in the playoffs.​

TheNumber4 : We’re not generating any speed. Kings are. Everything we try to do is met with interference and holding. Need to pay back in kind.​

snag : Bs....AA hooks arms on him and hauled him down​

walktheboulavard : What the f*** how's that not a penalty. Why do the Oilers get different officiating from every other team.​

Faelko : Nice play by Moore​

Sanchez : 2014 Quick showed up​

Faelko : Oh good, Quick is in the zone…lol​

tardigrade81 : OMG Quick and that split save. Good god. He’s beautiful. f*** it’s upsetting to see us not get one past him.​

Ritchie Valens : 2012 Quick is here.​

f***.​

Oilhawks : Kings suck but these guys are going to make them look like contenders.​

Mcnofool6110 : Someone tell Draisaitl LAK is actually Anaheim.​

OfCorsiDid : Death, taxes, the Oilers blowing it in the playoffs.​

FanOfSadTeam : Quick is gonna get a shutout​

Behind Enemy Lines : Struggling against the Kings speed. Quick looks dialled in.​

KCC : Kings don't even look like they are trying. Complete domination outside of the PP and one shift. They deserve this period. EDM forgot it's the playoffs I guess. Some intensity but they need to work much harder.​

Sanchez : McJESUS SAVE US!!!!!!​

Jimmi McJenkins : Thankfully the best player on the planet is on this team. What a goal​

gordonhught : Connor going to get in Quicks head​

CupofOil : Well, one guy showed up for this game. It would be nice if somebody else did at some point.​

Jay Daddy : Alright coming back from the ledge​

Messrules11 : HAHA FU LA​

::Bro you were losing to team with a bunch of rookies (and without Doughty) and scored a goal to make it 2-1... and still down by 1 goal... in the 1st::

Ginger Papa : Nice saves by Quick. Cannot fault Smitty for their 2.​

Just keep that pressure going, Boys. One shift at a time. Get a Goal, then another.​

:: @Ginger Papa eat shit, Ginger::

Jimmi McJenkins : Lucky it's close. They need to be alot better. This Kings team isn't that good. Lots of time left and there will be chances​

NeverForget06 : Two bad plays, two goals against. We're the better team. If we play like it we won't have a problem with the Kings​

CycloneSweep : If the kings aren’t that good, neither are we​

Jimmi McJenkins : This game feels old school, in that it's like a football game with the tackles and blocks. This team will be fine, if they work on details and calm down​

ThreeOfAPerfectPair :​

What a bunch of f***ing whiners. Is there a law in Canada that internet access is only given to people 13 and under?

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – Round 4 'The Oilers don't need to beat the Kings. They just need to beat Quick.'
2nd Period Edition

Woodcroftbeast : Quick looked rattled after that goal. We are only down by 1, we got this​

CupofOil : Some of you guys never learn. The Kings are a worthy opponent, the Oilers have a big problem with them regardless of how they play.​

Mcnofool6110 : Honestly feels like LAK got two very lucky goals. McLellan is the king of the trap, but I think we'll be okay.​

TheNumber4 : Kings already started to leak near the end there. They trap? We need to execute. Simple as that.​

Jimmi McJenkins : Thought Smith was actually really good​

TheNumber4 : McD gets a call. So that Refs can ignore everything on Drai.​

Mav3rick07 : McDavid just exposed LA’s defence without Doughty.​

Woodcroftbeast : Is this Hockey Night in LA? Every person on that panel dislikes the oilers lol​

::Play better, get praise. Learn it.::

TheNumber4 : Kopitar going to hold his way back to relevance. And the League will let him unless we stop it.​

Broberg Speed : LA played solid as a rock that period.​

tardigrade81 : That split save by Quick was something else. Otherwise screw LA. We got this​

Woodcroftbeast : my good friend is a leafs fan, already on social media claiming "we will run over Tampa easily, this is our year, Leafs nation"​

::To good not to share. These Leafs and Oilers fans are ridiculous::

nexttothemoon : Canada is still pretty much the best country in the World... people honestly take where we live for granted.​

Broberg Speed : Athanasiou showed Hyman up big time.​

nabob : Quick was the best player so far IMO. Could very easily be 3-2 Oil. It’s not worth jumping off a 1st story balcony like so many here are ready to.​

harpoon : So far the LA feed is acceptable. Some of the homerism that you’d expect, but not bad. Jared Stoll has the Principe role. Needless to say that’s a big upgrade.​

94 Oil Drops : Honestly it's no surprise. LA was never going to be easy to beat as a lot of people thought.​

::Not so sure about that... everyone including Oilers fans were calling the series an easy sweep::

ZJuice : My woman only wants it when I’m dead tired and have convinced myself to accept celibacy. A very sad life​

::WTF::

EnufAlready : Good dive. We will take it!​

Woodcroftbeast : gotta admit that was a weak call​

::"tripping" on AI::

Husker Du : Mclelland’s herpes are growing by the minute.​

Senor Catface : The Kings PK is super passive.​

Jimmi McJenkins : Ridiculous save from Quick​

Ritchie Valens : The Oilers don't need to beat the Kings. They just need to beat Quick.​

TheNumber4 : That was vintage Quick. But it’s fine. He can’t get em all.​

lopper : Man Quick has been lights out so far. Keep firing away and something going to go in eventually​

oobga : friggin Quick. hate that guy​

TB12 : Playoff Keith Mother f***in Activated!​

Jay Daddy : Can't stop everything Quick!​

Wretched Oil : Bold prediction: Quick is getting old and tired, watch him suck wind as the game goes on....​

Jay Daddy : So Smith is bad again? Bad timing​

Trafalgar McLaw : Another year another playoffs of the Oilers having the worse goalie. When does Ken Holland get fired again?​

TKB21 : Yep here we f***ing go again with shit tending.​

OfCorsiDid : missed call ends up in our net. Tale as old as time.​

xoczar99ox : Quick >>>>>>>>Smith.​

BlackMcDog : Smith is 40​

Tobias Kahun : Danault doing more flopping around. Hes drawn 2 calls like that so far.​

Anarchism : love quick .....hate quick​

nexttothemoon : If Danault or Kopitar did that it would have been a smart veteran play... no penalty.​

snipes : Danault diving like a bitch​

PaPaDee : Kings have looked much better so far. Or we’ve looked that bad. Maybe both.​

CycloneSweep : Honestly, our crowd is really quiet compared to Toronto too but that could be sound mixing​

:: :laugh: ::

Oil rise to the top : Just need another pp called in our favour for that atrocious hooking call​

BlackMcDog : The Kings are getting acclimated to steer wrestling and getting away with it​

Cloned : Kozari has been good.​

:: Ya, because you guys got 2-3 phantom calls, 2 of which led to goals ::

Tobias Kahun : Blatant crosscheck.​

Shut the f*** up tmac, chew some more gum​

Del Preston : McLellan has yelled at the officials more tonight than he did in 3+ yea​

SourOil : Todd you stupid porcupine​

BudBundy : Screw that Koala.​

:: :laugh: ::

Zguy370 : Glad we got rid of Todd what a WHINER!​

lopper : Starting to look like tackle football in the Kings zone​

nexttothemoon : I guess mauling is allowed...​

Ginger Papa : That hustle by Hyman, along with his work along the boards is why I think he’s such an effective player and don’t have an issue with his signing.​

:: Don't enjoy your work on these boards @Ginger Papa ::

OfCorsiDid :
f1ad6144-9441-47da-be6e-7ebd9fb63796-jpeg.539529

BudBundy : shove it in Quick, Drai.​

Arctic Fox : The Germans are coming... for LA.​

Woodcroftbeast : Quick is getting PISSED after every goal, I think we're getting under his skin​

:: Clearly, you haven't seen Quick pissed ::

BlackMcDog : This is where we shine​

:: Yes, we know, whining for PP's because it was O'Clock when you last had one ::

russ99 : Damn we caught huge breaks on usual non-playoff calls.​

Oil rise to the top : Now we just need another pp and we'll be golden for drawing first blood in the series​

syz : Smith is a heart attack. Jesus christ.​

SourOil : Drai giving the stick to Durzi hahaha​

Sanchez : Haha refs calling shit!! Let's get the lead here!!!​

RandomGuy79 : Can't say we aren't getting the calls.​

A lot more PPs than what I was expecting.​

Jimmi McJenkins : If they're going to call the tackles, the kings are screwed​

Oilslick941611 : Drai size is taking its toll on the Kings.​

nexttothemoon : If they actually call penalties... Kings are f***ed​

Oil rise to the top : Another pp, haha​

FanOfSadTeam : That's a lucky call​

tardigrade81 : PP. might have got away with one there lol​

NeverForget06 : We're actually getting calls what is going on​

KeithIsJustOkay : Can’t be upset with the reffing tonight.​

walktheboulavard : No they read up the rule book before the game. I am slightly impressed.​

TheNumber4 : Y’all catch that frustration and fear in Kopi’s eyes? We could easily break the Kings spirit​

Ritchie Valens : If not for Quick, the Oil could be up 5.​

:: If not for weak calls, you guys would be shitting your pants ::

harpoon : Team is getting the calls. No one should be complaining about the refs tonight.​

syz : Smith a pubic hair away from immediately giving LA the lead again.​

FanOfSadTeam : Every LA shot is stressful​

Mcnofool6110 : This is simultaneously the best and worst playoff game I've seen​

russ99 : Every LA entry is stressful. Nice effort going back to prevent a break last shift.​

phrenssoa : Let’s try not to complain about “California reffing” in games 3 and 4 after this one, okay fellas?​

:: Thanks Goodness someone said it! ::

DrDrai : The kings get chances by countering our mistakes, we can limit them if we limit our offensive messes.​

BlackMcDog : They've been making decent calls and we feel like we won the california lottery​

TheNumber4 : That’s not holding you dumbass refs. But thank god for the too many men.​

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, it's been proven time and time again around here that I am insane and don't know what I am talking about when it comes to Kings hockey.

If you're questioning whether the playoffs should be about winning or development, then yeah. This isn't Kopitar's contract. It's not game 8 of the season. Danault is trying to win the Cup this year.

Anyway, so if Kaliyev gets 9 min in a Cup clinching game, does it count?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you're questioning whether the playoffs should be about winning or development, then yeah. This isn't Kopitar's contract. It's not game 8 of the season. Danault is trying to win the Cup this year.

Anyway, so if Kaliyev gets 9 min in a Cup clinching game, does it count?

If Kopitar continues getting 22 minutes a game simply because Todd McLellan is admitting line matching is too complicated for him you won't have to ask the last question anyway.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
If Kopitar continues getting 22 minutes a game simply because Todd McLellan is admitting line matching is too complicated for him you won't have to ask the last question anyway.

Kopitar should have had 18 minutes a night all season(and the past couple of them), but it is hard to not play him that much when outside of Danault the other two centers were getting demolished. Byfield had an 11.03 xGF% and Lizotte had a 25.05 xGF%, whereas Kopi had a 68.54 and Danault had a 70.73. I have been right along with you about distributing ice time to preserve Kopi as he ages, but the point of reducing that ice time is to make sure he can still be a positive factor once the games become important. I am no TMac fan, but it is clear he has been tagged with competing instead of developing, so he is going to ride the guys who are having good games in the playoffs.

RonM11

Nov 2, 2021
Brea, California
Saw this on the sharks board. It gave me a nice chuckle.

"I can see why Dustin Brown is retiring after these playoffs. Guy can barely skate. Tends to happen when you spend your whole career taking out other player's knees."
That guy has been bitching for the past eight years about that hit. He's gonna take it to his grave. Talk about grudges. LOL

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kopitar should have had 18 minutes a night all season(and the past couple of them), but it is hard to not play him that much when outside of Danault the other two centers were getting demolished. Byfield had an 11.03 xGF% and Lizotte had a 25.05 xGF%, whereas Kopi had a 68.54 and Danault had a 70.73. I have been right along with you about distributing ice time to preserve Kopi as he ages, but the point of reducing that ice time is to make sure he can still be a positive factor once the games become important. I am no TMac fan, but it is clear he has been tagged with competing instead of developing, so he is going to ride the guys who are having good games in the playoffs.

Not gonna go through the whole exercise again like I did earlier but in a 5 minute sample size one shot changes everything by like 25% so come on. Do I get to call Byfield dominant if he plays 4 minutes at nearly 100% xGF% next game? Because more than a few times this season in his tiny minutes he led the team in limited playing time and that 1. changed nothing in TMs usage and 2. got me called out for sample size so I'd expect the same here.

I'm not saying don't ride the horses. I'm saying keep them fresh by tweaking the minutes in easy ways. Start PP2. Once you've seen McDavid-Draisaitl twice in a row and you're in the ozone, it's safe to play the bottom six. Get creative with the lines so it's not so easy for the opponent to read and match. ANYTHING ANY OTHER GOOD PLAYOFF COACH WOULD DO. It's a low bar, jesus, I'm not even asking for TM to suddenly become a bench savant, I'm asking him to be league-average at best.

Christ man I feel like I'm taking crazy pills for wanting my NHL coach to exhibit the bare minimum bench brain activity of an NHL coach. It's the lowest of low bars to ask your guy to figure out how to get your 2nd overall pick more than 5 minutes or your leading powerplay scorer more than 9 when he has 15-20 minutes of slush to work with. And that should be even that much easier when you bench a goal scorer after 3 minutes of play and immediately after his scoring shift.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If you actually think a team (any team) would go into the playoffs with the mindset of having the kids play is more important that winning, you know absolutely nothing about the game. It's absurd.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If you actually think a team (any team) would go into the playoffs with the mindset of having the kids play is more important that winning, you know absolutely nothing about the game. It's absurd.
They aren't going to win jack with Kopitar playing 25 minutes a night in the playoffs. McLellan needs to spread the minutes around and trust the kids more.

That is not absurd, it's the reality of the situation.

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Meanwhile on the Habs boards...

Phil haunts me even in LA
1G + 1A 2P +3 and 22:45 TOI
Danault on straight fire with +3 on the night.
He's gonna end up being a bargain at 5.5 if he keeps up those playoff stats lines lol
Who cares about Danault, we have Gallagher for another 18 years!

:popcorn:

Was carried by superstars Tatar and Gallagher in Montreal, now he's carried by HOFers Moore and Iafallo in LA smh so damn lucky. Danault is so bad he actually needs ice time to score.
Where are all the clowns saying that Danault sucks and that he's a 5 goal scorer and can't perform in the playoffs? Don't be ashamed to say you were dead wrong.

This dude gets it. :thumbu:

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not gonna go through the whole exercise again like I did earlier but in a 5 minute sample size one shot changes everything by like 25% so come on. Do I get to call Byfield dominant if he plays 4 minutes at nearly 100% xGF% next game? Because more than a few times this season in his tiny minutes he led the team in limited playing time and that 1. changed nothing in TMs usage and 2. got me called out for sample size so I'd expect the same here.

I'm not saying don't ride the horses. I'm saying keep them fresh by tweaking the minutes in easy ways. Start PP2. Once you've seen McDavid-Draisaitl twice in a row and you're in the ozone, it's safe to play the bottom six. Get creative with the lines so it's not so easy for the opponent to read and match. ANYTHING ANY OTHER GOOD PLAYOFF COACH WOULD DO. It's a low bar, jesus, I'm not even asking for TM to suddenly become a bench savant, I'm asking him to be league-average at best.

Christ man I feel like I'm taking crazy pills for wanting my NHL coach to exhibit the bare minimum bench brain activity of an NHL coach. It's the lowest of low bars to ask your guy to figure out how to get your 2nd overall pick more than 5 minutes or your leading powerplay scorer more than 9 when he has 15-20 minutes of slush to work with. And that should be even that much easier when you bench a goal scorer after 3 minutes of play and immediately after his scoring shift.
Some people around here will never get it. Daryl Sutter was Rain Man.

Game 2 those same people will be bitching because Kopitar is skating like he has a piano on his back.

Last edited by a moderator:

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

I mean, Byfield has not had stellar possession numbers all season relative to his teammates. Among skaters who played last night he has the second lowest xGF%, just ahead of Brownie throughout the season. I imagine that TMac was quick on making the bench short when he saw things tilting more against him and Lizotte. Not saying I agree fully with it, but BLuc were very clear that the team needs to compete and TMac is making moves to match that. I do worry that it will lead to a flameout personally, but I see his thought process.

I agree with starting PP2 at some points or even just overhauling the powerplay lines all together. Kaliyev should be on the top PP and Danault should be rested in my opinion.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Why are those things mutually exclusive? I feel like that's the biggest fallacy in this whole conversation.

No one is advocating for 20 minutes of Byfield or anything, I just want Kopitar to be able to be Kopitar AND the kids to learn by TM doing the bare minimum for an NHL coach and playing more than 2 lines.

3 forwards had 3, 5, and 7 minutes.
3 forwards had 10, 10, 13 minutes.

the top 6 had 18, 18, 19, 23, 25, and nearly 26 minutes.

I'm not oblivious. I think it was Ferraro today during the OT Rangers/Penguins who said you can't really care about minutes in the long run, you have a game to win right in front of you and you can worry about the next night on the next night. But it's TM's job to jump start some of these guys, too. Not gonna be effective offensively OR defensively with one shift roughly every 15 minutes.

If you're not confident in Byfield, Lemieux, etc., bring in Kupari, even if just for the PK. Hell bring in a specialist like Frk. especially if the bottom six is gonna get single digit minutes, find an absolute purpose for them.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

It's weird that nobody can answer such a mundane thought experiment question. Unlikely as such a result may be for a whole host of reasons.

Reactions: YAYSAY

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's weird that nobody can answer such a mundane thought experiment question. Unlikely as such a result may be for a whole host of reasons.

I mean for me personally I already said before the playoffs that it is what it is at this point. Of course it would count in my book. But like I just mentioned in another thread, 'winning' and 'development' aren't as mutually exclusive as these discussions are making them seem, and the kids getting minutes reducing kopitars minutes should theoretically lead to both. Otherwise why not just play Kopitar and Danault 30 each? We know why, and it's up to the coach to find that event horizon. That's been the challenge, and imo, the failure, all season.

And before someone jumps on me obviously we're here and 'failure' is in relative terms but I get the feeling that TM also feels he's going to have to try to win this thing in 4 or 5 because Kopitar getting 25 minutes every 2 days for 6-7 games does not sound like a recipe for success against prime Draisaitl/McDavid. Not because of ability but because Father Time is hiding out in his jersey.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
It's like the Oilers can't win without penalties getting called. For the board's sake, hope Brown doesn't Sedin McDavid.

If Peter is playing hockey, then the Oilers are Meg:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad