GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER-FINALS GAME 1 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 5/2/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think that’s the issue with the people on this board. They see a W and think that the Kings did something right and cannot change what they did.. however that’s not the case. It’s obvious who here has played sports and who here hasn’t, winning is the point but is the method sustainable? I don’t think so. Kopitar was great yes, but who here hasn’t seen Anze work out this year ? He’s shown wear for sure. I think wearing him out is essentially neutralizing him so the unsustainable method pretty much shows why it’s a problem. The Kings won but playing Kopitar to death isn’t the way you win the whole picture.

And honestly it’s just bad coaching. It suggests not only does the coach not trust the other players but also that the coach is unwilling to adapt mid game. And Anyone who’s played teams back to back, or even done a one on one back to back for a set or series will know that the opposition picks up on your habits and tendencies. They adapt to it. Then you have to start tweaking your game plan. That’s how it works, and that’s one reason why Todd fails in post season. Unwilling to adapt. Kings are winning but it’s not in the correct way. It seems to me that it’s based on fear and a lack of trust in the line up. So yes. The way you win absolutely matters.

I don’t think people realize how important your approach is. It’s as important as the result.
If the process is good and executed correctly, the results will come. I don't see McLellan's process working over a 7-game series against a tough opponent.

The Kings may indeed win this round against Edmonton, but it will be another wasted opportunity if he plays Kopitar 25 minutes a night to do it.

...and I really don't think Kopitar will play mistake-free hockey if he is getting 23 - 25 minutes a game.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
If they mix in the vets with Byfield/Kaliev/whoever instead of putting all the rookies on the same lines, maybe they can play more than 3 minutes 5v5.

Reactions: KINGS17

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The best ice cream and pizza places around!!!!

Most fans from LA probably don’t know what Saskatchewan is haha. Though it’s a bit more famous because apparently Brock Lesnar lives here on a farm somewhere lol

Just saw this today. You don't think LA fans know about Saskatchewan? Of course we know it. It's the place named after Sasquatch.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Byfield needs to SIT until next year
That’s a move that moves us further away from a cup. That’s part of the balance of things right there because he needs to play, as it’ll make him a better player. The franchise needs QB to hit his ceiling and learning about play-off hockey is part of that.

You see, I’m not mad about the McDavid pickpocket move as some were. The guys the best player in the world afterall and plenty of more experienced players have/will get caught out like that. It was his first play-off game and he’s had 46 career regular season games. Anyone not expecting mistakes is not being realistic and I don’t care where he was taken in the draft. The key is, will it happen again? Given he didn’t then fall apart and later shifts (even though he was cold)were better I’m not too concerned. It was one game and the first time he’s ever experienced that pace/intensity. Let’s give him some sort of chance to adjust, as throughout hockey career he’s needed that.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Too much whining about minutes. EDM has the two of the top 5 best attacking players in the League. They are not a normal matchup.

LA has Two of the top 5 shut down centers in the League. If EDM play their guys 45 mins a night then LA are going to match that. Feeding McDavid to Lizotte or Byfield when you have both Danault and Kopitar riding the bench is just irresponsible and asking for trouble.

If old man Kopitar dies, he dies. The only objective is to win out of this series the best way you can and thats riding Kopitar like the horse that he is. The next series won't matter if you loose and if you win you can manage him better then and get a better spread against Calgary who only have one line and you can split Danault and Kopitar better there.

Reactions: lumbergh

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If only this could have somehow been prevented

1651710757235.png

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Too much whining about minutes. EDM has the two of the top 5 best attacking players in the League. They are not a normal matchup.

LA has Two of the top 5 shut down centers in the League. If EDM play their guys 45 mins a night then LA are going to match that. Feeding McDavid to Lizotte or Byfield when you have both Danault and Kopitar riding the bench is just irresponsible and asking for trouble.

If old man Kopitar dies, he dies. The only objective is to win out of this series the best way you can and thats riding Kopitar like the horse that he is. The next series won't matter if you loose and if you win you can manage him better then and get a better spread against Calgary who only have one line and you can split Danault and Kopitar better there.

Yes, everyone knows its a matchup game.

Now imagine if they wouldn't have ridden a late veteran Kopitar in stupid minutes in meaningless games in December so he could be fresher for the most important matchup now instead of loafing for 5 minutes on the powerplay wasting time and trying to suck wind back. It wasn't a matchup game in November. It wasn't a matchpu game in February. WE've just spent all season justifying fewer and fewer opportunities for our blue chip prospects and are now wondering aloud why they aren't more effecive vs. the rest of the league. I cannot face palm hard enough.

This is less in response to the minutes Kopitar and Danault played and more in response to everyone overlooking turnovers by veterans (edler giving them a breakaway anyone?) and instead going LOL THE KIDS SUCKED IN THE 5 MINUTES THEY PLAYED and it's like no shit, this is the endgame of what happens when you f*** around all season and try to throw cold kids into the fastest paced games we've seen since 2018, you had PLENTY of opportunity to help ripen them earlier, now you're putting them in the worst possible situations and blaming them for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Should have made JAD the 3C all year and let Byfield play in the AHL.
JAD was far closer to being ready in a regular role.
But Kopitar/Danault were always going to get the big minutes. You just hope the other two can hold their own for the few shifts they get.

Yeah if this year's MO was actually 'we just want you to not be a liability' to the bottom six they may as well have had JAD all year and signed some shitty bottom six vets and just left the kids alone.

Instead they spent most of the year trying to turn blue chip scorers into defensive machines by playing them bottom six minutes and wonder why they're not ready for the playoffs.

This is exactly what I and several others were worried about but a bunch of dismissive pricks hand waved it off.

and now here we are with Kopitar playing 26 minutes a game, only ~19 of which are effective, because you have a coach who is completely incapable of adjustments in-game and couldn't even win THIS matchup game

1651711424333.png

And again, this isn't even at the McDavid/Danault etc. matchups, it is what it is at this point, this is at all the posters who plugged their ears saying 'it doesn't mattah!' all along. Now, clearly it does, you see?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah if this year's MO was actually 'we just want you to not be a liability' to the bottom six they may as well have had JAD all year and signed some shitty bottom six vets and just left the kids alone.

Instead they spent most of the year trying to turn blue chip scorers into defensive machines by playing them bottom six minutes and wonder why they're not ready for the playoffs.

This is exactly what I and several others were worried about but a bunch of dismissive pricks hand waved it off.
It's weird. Doughty and Kopitar made it known they wanted to go to the playoffs again.
Blake agreed and went out and got Edler and Arvy and Danault.
Moore took his game to a new level...
And then TMac did what he needed to do to get to the playoffs, even though Doughty was out 50 games and not here to enjoy it.

Can't fault a coach for winning and a .150 pct. improvement in the standings.
That's what coaches are paid to do.

Want a pure rebuild? Do what Yzerman did. Give your coach no options.
f***, even in Detroit, Lucas Raymond probably wasn't going to be in the NHL until Vrana got hurt.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's weird. Doughty and Kopitar made it known they wanted to go to the playoffs again.
Blake agreed and went out and got Edler and Arvy and Danault.
Moore took his game to a new level...
And then TMac did what he needed to do to get to the playoffs, even though Doughty was out 50 games and not here to enjoy it.

Can't fault a coach for winning and a .150 pct. improvement in the standings.
That's what coaches are paid to do.

Want a pure rebuild? Do what Yzerman did. Give your coach no options.
f***, even in Detroit, Lucas Raymond probably wasn't going to be in the NHL until Vrana got hurt.

Well said, and @KingsFan7824 woudl likely agree with every word here, it sounds almost exactly like one of his posts lol.

I think I'm not being clear. I think that part is what it is at this point. Here we are in the playoffs--so they got those 'results' they wanted at the expense of the youth.

What I'm taking issue with is posters going after the bottom six like it's their fault they aren't fully ready at this point, and no shit anyone is going to look like garbage playing one shift a period, particularly a high skill scorer. They're finding ways to blame Byfield and others while completely ignoring gaffes by the vets. It's like TM himself has leaked out onto posting on this forum.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well said, and @KingsFan7824 woudl likely agree with every word here, it sounds almost exactly like one of his posts lol.

I think I'm not being clear. I think that part is what it is at this point. Here we are in the playoffs--so they got those 'results' they wanted at the expense of the youth.

What I'm taking issue with is posters going after the bottom six like it's their fault they aren't fully ready at this point, and no shit anyone is going to look like garbage playing one shift a period, particularly a high skill scorer. They're finding ways to blame Byfield and others while completely ignoring gaffes by the vets. It's like TM himself has leaked out onto posting on this forum.
Yeah, I get it.
I especially think Kaliyev has deserved more than he's been given - though at times, he doesn't seem all that great at 5 on 5.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Should have made JAD the 3C all year and let Byfield play in the AHL.
JAD was far closer to being ready in a regular role.
But Kopitar/Danault were always going to get the big minutes. You just hope the other two can hold their own for the few shifts they get.
JAD had a monster year down in Ontario on the PP. Him and Spence were 💰 💵

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad