GDT: 2021-22 season game 81 LA Kings vs Seattle Kraken @7:00pm 4/27/22 KINGS CLINCH PLAYOFFS EDITION

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I never saw the hype in Andersson.

Won't be surprised to see him leave for the KHL or something at this point.
Considering recent world events, I doubt many players will be heading to the KHL and get paid in rubles.

I think a low-talent team like Arizona or Montreal will give Andersson another shot.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I still think Lias can be a good player. Do you guys think it is smart to get rid of guys like Vilardi, Andersson, Grundstrom, AA in favor of keeping Iafallo and Brown?
Fagemo, Turcotte, Kupari also pushing for spots.
Crazy depth but seems like no one can earn a spot playing fourth line minutes and they showed a little bit more with more responsibility tonight.
I wish Iafallo could be gone, but he is signed for 3 more years at $4m. Tough guy to move. I think maybe they finally have realized he is a 3rd or 4th line guy. Certainly overpaid in that role but what can you do, he’s a decent 3rd line and really good 4th line winger making a bit to much. I think you have to pencil him in somewhere.

AA should 100% be back if they can get him on a 2 year (or ideally 1). For a team like the Kings he adds an important element but he’s also not someone you probably want to go long with. He is like a mentally stable Antonio Brown, just better to give him 1 year deals. I think the rest of the league feels the same way, wouldn’t expect anyone to give him 3 years, but we may have to match 2 to keep him. I know many people here don’t like him, but of all the names you listed in your post he was at another level better when he played than all those guys, and really I don’t think it was close.

Unless the Kings make a really big trade for someone or sign a Gaudreau or Forsberg I think next year will be pretty similar

AA / Kopitar / Kempe
Moore / Danault / Arvidsson
Iafallo / Byfield / Kaliyev
Grundstrom/ Lizotte / ???
???

I know they said they wanted Kaliyev moved up, but the Kings need to figure out a third scoring line and Kaliyev with Byfield and Iafallo might be the Kings best option for that line. Iafallo can play the lunch pail role and they will face lesser checkers. They should be expected to score at ES. We just can’t have a third line next year like
We had this one.

Brown returns if he wants to and the others fight for the last couple roster spots.

Reactions: Schmooley

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I wish Iafallo could be gone, but he is signed for 3 more years at $4m. Tough guy to move. I think maybe they finally have realized he is a 3rd or 4th line guy. Certainly overpaid in that role but what can you do, he’s a decent 3rd line and really good 4th line winger making a bit to much. I think you have to pencil him in somewhere.

AA should 100% be back if they can get him on a 2 year (or ideally 1). For a team like the Kings he adds an important element but he’s also not someone you probably want to go long with. He is like a mentally stable Antonio Brown, just better to give him 1 year deals. I think the rest of the league feels the same way, wouldn’t expect anyone to give him 3 years, but we may have to match 2 to keep him. I know many people here don’t like him, but of all the names you listed in your post he was at another level better when he played than all those guys, and really I don’t think it was close.

Unless the Kings make a really big trade for someone or sign a Gaudreau or Forsberg I think next year will be pretty similar

AA / Kopitar / Kempe
???

I know they said they wanted Kaliyev moved up, but the Kings need to figure out a third scoring line and Kaliyev with Byfield and Iafallo might be the Kings best option for that line. Iafallo can play the lunch pail role and they will face lesser checkers. They should be expected to score at ES. We just can’t have a third line next year like
We had this one.

Brown returns if he wants to and the others fight for the last couple roster spots.
Yea I can see that lineup happening. You think they bring back Lemieux?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
First time I ever saw Sprong in the NHL with Pittsburgh I thought he was gonna be a stud

He really has just such a bonkers shot, i'm surprised he just can't put it all together.

AA / Kopitar / Kempe
???

We had this one.

I tend to agree but as long as they take some icetime from Kopitar and distribute to Byfield, it'll be fine to roll 3 lines like they're all 2nd lines.

AA, I think would be a huge mistake to give more than 2 years. Between injury and inconsistency as well as youth on the way.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
JAD also.

I haven't seen anything from Andersson that makes me think he can be an NHL player. He's gone IMO.

A pipeline can only fit so much water in it before it starts to leak.

Sounds like it's time for a quantity-for-quality type trade.

The problem with quantity for quality idea is Blake has waited so long that these guys values have plummeted. Go around to other boards where bad teams might be dumping high end pieces and see how they feel about JAD, Vilardi, Lias and Turcotte as the pieces coming back for their best trade asset. Not very excited, and who could blame them. Would you be happy if we were trading one of our better assets and the return was names like Rasmussen, Zacha, Mittlestadt?

Unless Kinghock gets a GM job somewhere this summer I wouldn’t count on these depreciating former blue chippers returning anything of significance.

@MBH is right, teams like Detroit and Arizona can just wait and get these guys (or similar ones from other teams) on waivers at the end of camp.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – 'Let's call that the Quick way to get drunk ' Edition

kihei : LA top line intact. Lots of newbies elsewhere and players returning from injuries. Kings silver helmets look bush league, a Tin Man Wizard of Oz vibe.​

Kat Predator : So, you like wearing mirrors on your head, eh?​

The Marquis : You both are correct. They are somehow worse than the Vegas Gold.​

kihei : So far the most exciting things in this game are the icings.​

The Marquis : So, Quick in playoff mode tonight, I see.​

kihei : Nah, I'm having a beer for every LA shot on goal that period: 2. Gotta say Grubauer has been flawless in this game.​

The Marquis : My drinking game is Quick high danger chance saves. I’m pretty much f***ed​

kihei : Let's call that the Quick way to get drunk.​

kihei : LA is hanging their goalie out to dry.​

kihei : Of course, now we are really in trouble. We have a two goal lead.​

six sigma : Don't think LA's too into it tonight, but it's fun to watch the young kids who are hungry and fighting for next year. Loved the Donato goal.​

The Marquis : Happy Vegas elimination day!​

kihei : Vilardo for LA. Right on schedule.​

kihei : And there it is, folks, two all.​

Fistfullofbeer : Was that Rask floating behind Danault? Or maybe he is just that slow of a skater.​

Fistfullofbeer : Seriously, what is going on with Donskoi. I have never seen a skater being so snakebit.​

Irie: It happens to everyone, but for Donskoi, it happens every night right now. He needs to stop thinking and just run on instincts i think.​

Fistfullofbeer : LOL. This game has gone crazy in the 2nd period.​

kihei : Somebody wake up our D. They could get hurt.​

kihei : Our defensemen have been absolutely brutal tonight.​

kihei : Good case for goalie interference.​

kihei : I want a Kraken mascot, too. And free beer.​

kihei : Some great work by Quick there.​

The Marquis : I just farted​

Cisse : since this game is more or less pointless I would have taken Grubauer on the bench and tried with 6 vs 3 after we got the PP rolling. Three men set to keep their players and another three trying to score. Could have scored.:cool:

The Marquis : Hey, to look on the bright side. At least the Kraken are paying their dues at the same time as Vegas.​

Fistfullofbeer : Well .. a loss means we cannot finish any better than 4th worst in the league.​

The Marquis : I cried and laughed at the same time.​

Reactions: ru4reals

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lot of Vilardi discussion tonight, I mean I think there were plenty of youthful lessons that happened tonight that would happen more often on a bottom team that NEEDED to happen for guys to learn. Byfield taking a terrible line on that Donato goal, he played himself. Easy mistake to learn from, that's a rookie move. Vilardi with the dzone turnover and some soft coverage, stuff to learn from. Kupari shooting wide on the PK while Durzi makes an ill-advised pinch--I like the aggressiveness but that's a double-rookie mistake. But they don't if they don't get minutes, which is why several of us have been arguing for this all along. They'll be better for those dumbass moves.

But going back to Vilardi, yeah, he's a flawed player. He was never going to be a top end all-around guy, he was a scorer with skating concerns and there should be no real surprises there--the question isn't 'is he an NHLer,' it's 'do we have a coach/staff that care to work with that,' because I guarantee you a more creative coach is going to get 50+ points out of him using him on a top-six that can cover his weaknesses and get him on a good PP. Someone mentioned he'd go on waivers? That's laughable. He's absolutely an NHLer. Imagine someone like Carolina or TO trading for him, good lord. Sure, he's not going to be THE engine, but he's sure going to be a hammer. Be patient, especially given the lack of NHL time for many, many of these guys. Hell, the youth just did what a more veteran lineup could barely do, put up 5 goals on a team that usually gives us grief.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The problem with quantity for quality idea is Blake has waited so long that these guys values have plummeted. Go around to other boards where bad teams might be dumping high end pieces and see how they feel about JAD, Vilardi, Lias and Turcotte as the pieces coming back for their best trade asset. Not very excited, and who could blame them. Would you be happy if we were trading one of our better assets and the return was names like Rasmussen, Zacha, Mittlestadt?

Unless Kinghock gets a GM job somewhere this summer I wouldn’t count on these depreciating former blue chippers returning anything of significance.

@MBH is right, teams like Detroit and Arizona can just wait and get these guys (or similar ones from other teams) on waivers at the end of camp.
On the Detroit board, I've already posted about offering low picks/scraps, if not waiting for the waiver wire.

If the Wings don't sign a real center this season, I want them to get JAD and go Larkin-Veleno-JAD as the top 3 next year.
Vilardi, JAD and Anderson are three guys that could make the shitty Detroit team better.
And I don't think LA is going to keep more than one of them beyond the start of next season.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Lot of Vilardi discussion tonight, I mean I think there were plenty of youthful lessons that happened tonight that would happen more often on a bottom team that NEEDED to happen for guys to learn. Byfield taking a terrible line on that Donato goal, he played himself. Easy mistake to learn from, that's a rookie move. Vilardi with the dzone turnover and some soft coverage, stuff to learn from. Kupari shooting wide on the PK while Durzi makes an ill-advised pinch--I like the aggressiveness but that's a double-rookie mistake. But they don't if they don't get minutes, which is why several of us have been arguing for this all along. They'll be better for those dumbass moves.

But going back to Vilardi, yeah, he's a flawed player. He was never going to be a top end all-around guy, he was a scorer with skating concerns and there should be no real surprises there--the question isn't 'is he an NHLer,' it's 'do we have a coach/staff that care to work with that,' because I guarantee you a more creative coach is going to get 50+ points out of him using him on a top-six that can cover his weaknesses and get him on a good PP. Someone mentioned he'd go on waivers? That's laughable. He's absolutely an NHLer. Imagine someone like Carolina or TO trading for him, good lord. Sure, he's not going to be THE engine, but he's sure going to be a hammer. Be patient, especially given the lack of NHL time for many, many of these guys. Hell, the youth just did what a more veteran lineup could barely do, put up 5 goals on a team that usually gives us grief.
It’s a fine line between a one dimensional scorer who finds his way and one who ends up as a AAAA player.

Gabe’s career in many ways is similar to former King Pavel Rosa. Gabe is bigger but it really doesn’t matter he doesn’t use it. But both guys were skilled, both guys were very slow, both guys produced significantly in junior, both guys added nothing defensively, both guys missed significant time with injuries before coming to the Kings, both guys looked decent as rookies on bad teams, both guys lost their jobs the next year when the team upgraded with veterans returned to the playoffs. People won’t like that take because Rosa ultimately busted and no one wants to acknowledge that prospects disappoint and bust, but many do, no one in 1999 wanted to call Rosa a bust either. The Kings have had busts before and they will have them again. Just the way the league is. Players from this rebuild will bust, it’s just a matter of which ones.

I don’t know why you just assume there is no chance he hits waivers next fall. He spent the majority of this year in the AHL and is currently a healthy scratch. It’s far from a guarantee that he is on the 23 man roster next season (same with JAD). In fact I’d say the odds of both being on The Kings 23 next fall is very low. There is certainly a realistic chance that Vilardi hits the waiver wire after camp, if he doesn’t make the team there probably isn’t going to be a big market for his services via trade. Very few guys are traded right before they would have hit waivers, teams would rather just wait to get the guy on waivers.

But he also may not get claimed (same with JAD). Every year on this site every team forum worries about losing players to waivers, and 90+% of the time the player clears and ends up in the AHL.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s a fine line between a one dimensional scorer who finds his way and one who ends up as a AAAA player.

Gabe’s career in many ways is similar to former King Pavel Rosa. Gabe is a bit bigger but it really doesn’t matter he doesn’t use it. But both guys were skilled, both guys were very slow, both guys produced significantly in junior, both guys added nothing defensively, both guys missed significant time with injuries before coming to the Kings, both guys looked decent as rookies on bad teams, both guys lost their jobs the next year when the team returned to the playoffs. People won’t like that take because Rosa ultimately busted and no one wants to acknowledge that prospects disappoint and bust, but many do, no one in 1999 wanted to call Rosa a hat either. The Kings have had busts before and they will have them again. Just the way the league is.

I don’t know why you just assume there is no chance he hits waivers next fall. He spent the majority of this year in the AHL and is currently a healthy scratch. It’s far from a guarantee that he is on the 23 man roster next season (same with JAD). In fact I’d say the odds of both being on The Kings 23 next fall is very low. There is certainly a realistic chance that Vilardi hits the waiver wire after camp, if he doesn’t make the team there probably isn’t going to be a big market for his services.

I would be willing to place a large bet there's no way he ends up on waivers. Traded? Sure. I'd still think that's dumb and shows a lack of creativity/inventiveness by this organization who thinks everyone should be the normal guy from nintendo's ice hockey and has to reach for the inhaler anytime someone exhibits a unique skillset with a checking flaw. But waived would just be terrible asset management.

If he doesn't make the team, there are teams--Seattle, Phoenix, MTL, amongst others--who would easily take a shot at him. Herby, he's on his first team, the NHL will always give a high draft pick a 2nd shot no matter what they look like, see Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Vilardi reminds me a lot of Jason Allison. Big, good vision and playmaking ability, protection, poor skating ability.

It took Allison to his 5th season of NHL games to hit a point per game. Before that, he had poor production.

Very similar trajectory, except Vilardi had injuries delay his NHL career start, where as Allison had his ended early by injuries.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That last shift before the goal is an example of why Vilardi will never be anything in the league and can’t stay in the lineup for even a fringe playoff team decimated by injuries and lacking offensive skill. Just gets completely outmuscled for a 50/50 puck by a smaller but hungrier player in Beniers, then of course loses the foot race into the zone enabling Beniers to set up his line mate for a prime scoring chance. He skates like someone 6’8 and has the physicality of someone 5’8. Not a good combo.
I am glad you also noticed why he will be a full time NHL player very soon.

Just great to read stuff like this just a couple of hours earlier.

Team played like shit at the beginning and you call out Vilardi (of course ! )

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
We have been playing shit teams that’s why. Recall the Minnesota and Colorado games? That’s how we look against real competition.

I don’t think it ever sunk in to many on this board just how awful the non-playoff teams in the west played to finish the year. People were so paranoid the Kings were going to lose to Chicago, Anaheim and Seattle and it just never made any sense to me. All those teams were halfway to Cancun this month.

April Records vs Western playoff contenders

Arizona 2-6
Seattle 2-8
Chicago 1-6
Anaheim 0-5
San Jose 1-8

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
These tuneup games against the bottom might have been the best thing this team could have asked for with injured guys coming back.

Against Edmonton I hope Panda ices guys who can get shots on goal. Edmonton is gonna get leads on us…. That’s a given … but they are also gonna cough up those leads and Smith will 100% give up the shitty goal!

Quick is moving with purpose and fire in that crease. Those knees are gonna be toast this off-season though. Dude is a big money player and we all know he is gonna show up!!!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I am glad you also noticed why he will be a full time NHL player very soon.

Just great to read stuff like this just a couple of hours earlier.

Team played like shit at the beginning and you call out Vilardi (of course ! )
And why is that? Oh so production doesn’t matter for the previous two dozen games but it suddenly matters for this game vs Seattle? Got it.

Btw, RJ (or anyone else) if you were serious about wanting action on whether Gabe is an NHL regular for the Kings next season I’ll give action to anyone who wants it (1k max). If he dresses for the Kings opening night I lose if he doesn’t I win. Or if ppl want to do something based on overall games played that is fine too. There are a few people (longtime members too) I trust enough on this board to escrow if anyone wants to, PM me.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I don’t think it ever sunk in to many on this board just how awful the non-playoff teams in the west played to finish the year. People were so paranoid the Kings were going to lose to Chicago, Anaheim and Seattle and it just never made any sense to me. All those teams were halfway to Cancun this month.

April Records vs Western playoff contenders

Arizona 2-6
Seattle 2-8
Chicago 1-6
Anaheim 0-5
San Jose 1-8
I think it's sunk in a much as needed. I wasn't thumping my chest just enjoying the fact that the Kings took care of business.

Were allowed to enjoy ourselves around here every once in a while, right?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Vilardi reminds me a lot of Jason Allison. Big, good vision and playmaking ability, protection, poor skating ability.

It took Allison to his 5th season of NHL games to hit a point per game. Before that, he had poor production.

Very similar trajectory, except Vilardi had injuries delay his NHL career start, where as Allison had his ended early by injuries.
Allison would struggle to play in today’s NHL. He was the perfect dead puck era player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad