GDT: 2021-22 season game 81 LA Kings vs Seattle Kraken @7:00pm 4/27/22 KINGS CLINCH PLAYOFFS EDITION

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Allison would struggle to play in today’s NHL. He was the perfect dead puck era player.

The game is so different from the 90’s and 00’s half the league from that era couldn’t keep up. Imagine Aaron Miller trying to keep up with McDavid. Lol

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
And why is that? Oh so production doesn’t matter for the previous two dozen games but it suddenly matters for this game vs Seattle? Got it.

Btw, RJ (or anyone else) if you were serious about wanting action on whether Gabe is an NHL regular for the Kings next season I’ll give action to anyone who wants it (1k max). If he dresses for the Kings opening night I lose if he doesn’t I win. There are a few people (longtime members too) I trust enough on this board to escrow if anyone wants to, PM me.
I just wished Mike Richards would come out of retirement so we dont have to witness this anymore.

Gabe will find his way in the NHL whether it is with LA, I dont know, but your obsession with him is exceptional. Just be honest, you watch him with a magnifying glass. You even think he will be put on waivers, WTF.

Than Iafallo, not a huge fan of him either but as 3rd liner, how is he overpaid with € 4M ? This is not 2005 anymore. It could be 500k less yes, but you seem to think he should get Kyle Clifford money.

Allison would struggle to play in today’s NHL. He was the perfect dead puck era player.

I am sure he meant to today standards.

How can someone miss this.

Reactions: YAYSAY

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think it's sunk in a much as needed. I wasn't thumping my chest just enjoying the fact that the Kings took care of business.

Were allowed to enjoy ourselves around here every once in a while, right?
Butcher, wasn’t signaling you out, sorry if it came across that way, wasn’t my intent.

There were just many posts here the last 2 weeks or so by people convinced the Kings were going to lose these games to these awful teams despite the fact that these teams hadn’t even been remotely competitive since the deadline. That Seattle team tonight had some of the worst def gap control I’ve ever seen at the NHL level. I’m not kidding when I say Colorado might have scored 10 tonight against that team. I saw the Kings in Chicago and the Hawks looked like they’d have rather been at jury duty. I was just surprised that as closely as all of us follow the league that people were worried about these games.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Butcher, wasn’t signaling you out, sorry if it came across that way, wasn’t my intent.

There were just many posts here the last 2 weeks or so by people convinced the Kings were going to lose these games to these awful teams despite the fact that these teams hadn’t even been remotely competitive since the deadline. That Seattle team tonight had some of the worst def gap control I’ve ever seen at the NHL level. I’m not kidding when I say Colorado might have scored 10 tonight against that team. I saw the Kings in Chicago and the Hawks looked like they’d have rather been at jury duty. I was just surprised that as closely as all of us follow the league that people were worried about these games.
Yeah I think some folks were worried about these games mainly due the fact that this is still the Kings we're talking about. The past few years of trash will do this to you. Many including myself still don't know if they'll show up or not, even against these sh*tty teams. But just glad they were able to finally show up and beat the teams they were suppose to. I wish I had as much confidence as you do honestly. Now that we're actually in the playoffs hey anything can happen.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I admit I didn't make it clear. I own up to that.

But yes, by today's standards. I think he's a better skater than Allison, but still just slower than average.

Vilardi is talented enough to be a regular player in the top 6 of an NHL team. Maybe not all, but he's often making things happen.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I just wished Mike Richards would come out of retirement so we dont have to witness this anymore.

Gabe will find his way in the NHL whether it is with LA, I dont know, but your obsession with him is exceptional. Just be honest, you watch him with a magnifying glass. You even think he will be put on waivers, WTF.

Than Iafallo, not a huge fan of him either but as 3rd liner, how is he overpaid with € 4M ? This is not 2005 anymore. It could be 500k less yes, but you seem to think he should get Kyle Clifford money.

I just asked why the comments now? You haven't said much recently but come out now with his first productive game in a long-time and act like you are landing some KO punch, why? Isn't that what you criticize me for, being a "stat watcher"? Pot meet kettle. If you would look back and actually read stuff that I've said about Gabe on this board (and even RJ could verify this). My opinion on Gabe has always been the same, he is an easy evaluation, either he scores and sticks in the league or he doesn't and ends up back in the minors. I have said that all year about him, there are many players in the league like that (Zegras, Caufield in the present, Cammalleri, Rosa in the past). I know its just stat watching, which you conveniently seem to like to do every dozen or so games it goes your way. I told RJ when he was called up, lets see where he is after a certain amount of games. We are 24 games in and he has 6 points after tonights effort. If he had 16 he's in the lineup and there is no concern. If Gabe makes the Kings next year and starts scoring I will acknowledge it and say he is earning his keep, again its an easy evaluation for a one-dimensional scorer.

$4m is slightly overpaid for what Iafallo likely brings, you put words in my mouth (because ofcourse you do). I actually almost typed in (he's probably overpaid by 500k to 1m), I guess I should have because with your wonderful senses you somehow come to the conclusion that I think he should be making the league minimum or something. Guess you missed the part where I said he'd make up the best option for a 3rd scoring line, and apparently being a lunch pail guy on a 3rd scoring line is equal to the corpse of Kyle Clifford.

Why is it WTF that he could end up on waivers. You were around when Thomas Hickey was waived, you act like its an impossibility, why? It literally happens every year. Every board thinks there is "ZERO CHANCE" our aged out former prospect is waived, and then they are waived, and in many cases go unclaimed. I am not saying its a certainty, Gabe will likely be battling in camp with Kupari, Turcotte, Fagemo, JAD and perhaps a couple of other guys for what is probably going to be 2-3 roster spots depending on what happens with Brown and AA. You think it's 100% certainty he beats out all or most of those guys? Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Do you happen to feel the same way about JAD, that it's WTF to think he might be waived?

LOL at the Mike Richards comment too, you were spot on with those opinions back in the day, right? I just "stat watching" then too right? Crazy talk to say he should be on the 4th line away from Carter, crazy talk to say he wasn't an NHL'er and shouldn't be brought back, crazy talk to say he belonged in Manchester.. Although hey you did bring back some cool memories, I remember getting the PM's and the tags when Richards would do anything positive too, he'd be awful for a dozen games and people would say "stat watcher" or "you don't understand what else he brings" and then those some people would tag me and PM me when he got a secondary assist to tell me how wrong I was. I guess life has come full circle. Although atleast RJ hasn't tried to ban me from the board for talking about Alex Turcotte in the "Alex Turcotte" thread like that weasel former mod Tony tried to do.

As far as Allison. Nothing that KingsPawn said mentioned anything about modern standards, the Allison/Vilardi comparison has been made numerous times and it has some merit but the biggest difference was that Allison was an extremely physical player who would destroy defenseman and fight if need be. I think Stumpel is a more fair comparison. Stumpel was also 6'3 but played like he was 5'8 and skated like he was 6'8. Allison and Stumpel would struggle in the NHL today much in the same way Gabe has struggled, this is a speed game today, players who skate poorly have significant obstacles to overcome to produce offense.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah I think some folks were worried about these games mainly due the fact that this is still the Kings we're talking about. The past few years of trash will do this to you. Many including myself still don't know if they'll show up or not, even against these sh*tty teams. But just glad they were able to finally show up and beat the teams they were suppose to. I wish I had as much confidence as you do honestly. Now that we're actually in the playoffs hey anything can happen.

The Kings are a better team than many realize. They are extremely well coached with perhaps the best defensive system in the entire NHL. The lack of offensive skill and a bad PP obviously makes us pull our hair out, but the Kings in a league dominated by high flying offenses are able to suppress offense better than just about anyone else in the league, no matter who is in the lineup defensively.

If this team had been able to stay healthy (bad luck with Doughty) and been able to find a high-end scorer somewhere a long the way (2017, 2019 drafts really do hurt bad) this team would be a legit threat vs. a lot of teams in the west.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4reals

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I just asked why the comments now? You haven't said much recently but come out now with his first productive game in a long-time and act like you are landing some KO punch, why? Isn't that what you criticize me for, being a "stat watcher"? Pot meet kettle.
Sorry ?

You came up with that quote, not me. I RESPOND...therefore.

If I called you out after a good game from Gabe while you said nothing....than you had a point. Than you could say, pot meet kettle.

Its more than okay to dislike a player but the constant repeating about it or just nitpicking , is terribly annoying for most and you just cant seem to understand that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sorry ?

You came up with that quote, not me. I RESPOND...therefore.

If I called you out after a good game from Gabe while you said nothing....than you had a point. Than you could say, pot meet kettle.

I've had similar takes about him for many games this year. He was mostly ineffective in the games he has played and lost his role on two different occasions because of it. Why suddenly do you come alive with a comment for this particular game?

And why is it a WTF comment to say that the coach who has twice sat him and the GM who demoted him to the AHL this year might not think he's one of the 14 best forwards next year?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I've had similar takes about him for many games this year. He was mostly ineffective in the games he has played and lost his role on two different occasions because of it. Why suddenly do you come alive with a comment for this particular game?
Because it was ironic that you made that particular nitpicking comment and eventually he had one of his best games.

Therefore I come alive.

1651130583106.png

Reactions: Kudelski37

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I admit I didn't make it clear. I own up to that.

But yes, by today's standards. I think he's a better skater than Allison, but still just slower than average.

Vilardi is talented enough to be a regular player in the top 6 of an NHL team. Maybe not all, but he's often making things happen.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, because think you know I like skilled players (even ones who have flaws). This isn't a Turcotte situation where I hated the player due to a lack of skill. I wish Gabe could find a way to be the playmaking version of his former linemate and score a lot of points in this league, but I just don't think he overcomes his faults. We've seen this script so many times with different players over the years. They come in and really don't do much, then they have a good game (I remember Jared Aulin's 2 goal game vs. Carolina, Pavel Rosa's 2 goal game vs. NYI, Scott Parse fast start) and everyone gets excited but then it flat lines (like this season has for Gabe). And when scorers don't score they end up being scratched and in many cases demoted. Gabe isn't going to be in the NHL if he doesn't score. And the time to show that to the Kings is almost over, he basically has next years camp and pre-season to win over the Kings who (whether you agree) or not probably don't view him very highly. The actions of the Kings this season in his handling show a team probably not to high on him anymore, fair statement?

Reactions: LAKings88

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Because it was ironic that you made that particular nitpicking comment and eventually he had one of his best games.

Therefore I come alive.

View attachment 536941

I was analyzing a play in the game. A play where Vilardi was completely dominated leading to a scoring chance for Seattle. This from a player who at that point had 3 points in 23 games on the season, had been demoted to the AHL in November and then healthy scratched in April. Am I supposed to know he is going to match his entire season production in the next 40 minutes?

He finished up strong and ended up having his best game of the year, because he had a multiple point game and his ability to stay in the lineup depends on how much offense he produces, he aint in the lineup for grit, defense or toughness, it's all about the offense. The plays like the one vs. Beniers happen quite often to Gabe (one of the reasons he isn't a center anymore) and most nights he hasn't been able to match it with offensive results, tonight he did, so props to him, the Beniers play doesn't mean as much when he gets it back on the offensive end. But you Vilardi truthers should wait until he strings together at least a couple of good games before you conveniently forget what happened the most of the previous 22 games this year.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I agree with you @Herby that unfortunately Gabe probably won't be on our opening night roster next year. In fact, he's probably not even on the team. I just don't see the roster spots available. Unless someone offers Athanasiou more than we can give him, I think we re-sign him. I don't think there's any way we let him walk. He's been more effective than every forward prospect combined this year, excluding Kaliyev. I also don't think we've seen the last of Brown. I bet he re-signs for one more year at like $1.5 million. Just a hunch.

Athanasiou - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Byfield - Kaliyev
Lemieux - Lizotte - Brown

I don't even see room for Grundstrom or Kupari, let alone Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Turcotte, Fagemo, et cetera. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but... I wouldn't bet on it. Which is a shame, because I think Vilardi's goals could be some of the most exciting on the team. Funny enough, I think Vilardi would be a great fit with a guy like Stützle.

Reactions: Statto

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I hope I am wrong, I really do, because think you know I like skilled players (even ones who have flaws). This isn't a Turcotte situation where I hated the player due to a lack of skill. I wish Gabe could find a way to be the playmaking version of his former linemate and score a lot of points in this league, but I just don't think he overcomes his faults. We've seen this script so many times with different players over the years. They come in and really don't do much, then they have a good game (I remember Jared Aulin's 2 goal game vs. Carolina, Pavel Rosa's 2 goal game vs. NYI, Scott Parse fast start) and everyone gets excited but then it flat lines (like this season has for Gabe). And when scorers don't score they end up being scratched and in many cases demoted. Gabe isn't going to be in the NHL if he doesn't score. And the time to show that to the Kings is almost over, he basically has next years camp and pre-season to win over the Kings who (whether you agree) or not probably don't view him very highly. The actions of the Kings this season in his handling show a team probably not to high on him anymore, fair statement?
I understand your position, I just disagree with his chances of success. He's talented, but inconsistent. Will he be a star? I don't expect that. Is he talented enough to put up 30+ points over the course of the season? Totally. That's an NHL player.

If he can improve his consistency, which I think is very possible, then he'll be fine - whether it's on the Kings or another team.

I'm sure the Kings aren't as high on him as before, but two seasons ago he put up 7 in 10 as he came back from injury. If he's not meeting previous benchmarks, enthusiasm goes down.

I do think converting him to wing is an attempt to find a good fit for him. You don't do that to prospects you don't care about.

I don't know if he'll be on the opening night roster, but would be beyond shocked if he were waived. Worst case scenario, I think he'll be healthy scratched.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
@Herby I believe Vilardi has been misused big time. Let's say he had the time that lolfallo had playing with Kopitar and Kempe and top pp time. Do you not think his numbers woulda been better than lolfallo's? He hasn't been given that opportunity and I believe he's probably gonna get traded somewhere and put up points unfortunately.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
My guess is that unless that's a raise on the $2.7M he's getting now, he leaves it.

Take it or leave it offers probably shouldn't even be made.
If you don't care, just don't offer.

LA should be focusing on Vilardi and Fagemo, Kaliyev, etc etc.
I have watched AHL this year regularly and I am not impressed with Fagemo and JAD.

I know they scored a lot of goals, but they do not look like NHL players to me.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I have watched AHL this year regularly and I am not impressed with Fagemo and JAD.

I know they scored a lot of goals, but they do not look like NHL players to me.

JAD looked great we he was first called up, he remined me of Adam Deadmarsh, everything we hoped for in a bottom 6 player right up until he got hurt a few seasons ago. He has never look the same since that injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schmooley

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
@Herby I believe Vilardi has been misused big time. Let's say he had the time that lolfallo had playing with Kopitar and Kempe and top pp time. Do you not think his numbers woulda been better than lolfallo's? He hasn't been given that opportunity and I believe he's probably gonna get traded somewhere and put up points unfortunately.
He might, that is one of his two outcomes if you ask me. It’s pretty black and white, he either figures it out and puts up points or he doesn’t and flames out. I personally just don’t think he can overcome the skating in todays game but do acknowledge him being a 2nd line scorer is possible.

See I disagree with KP, I don’t think there is any way Gabe Vilardi is a 30-40 point guy who just hangs around a roster, he will either score enough to warrant a spot higher up in the lineup or he won’t score enough and he ends up overseas or having a journeyman AAAA career like Brendan Perlini or Brandon Pirri (not to pick on any Italians here, lol). 30-40 point guys in the NHL usually provide something beyond scoring, they are either defensively sound, kill penalties, provide grit or toughness, block shots or provide energy. Just not a ton of guys carving out careers as 35 point one-dimensional players in the league.

2nd line or bust.

Reactions: ibleedkings

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't think of Vilardi as a one-dimensional scorer. I think he has a lot more in him than that. He does need to produce to stay in the NHL, you're right about that, but he's gonna have to earn his playing time by doing all the little things. You can see his obvious skating deficiencies, but his real problem the last two years is his play away from the puck. He's not processing the game properly on the defensive side, so they had to move him away from center. He's been better since his call up because the Kings have covered up his problems moving him to the wing.

He knows he needs to be better defensively and away from the puck. His interview last night said exactly that. When he is able to assert himself all over the ice, the scoring will flow from that. He should be watching Kaliyev, the way he commits himself to the system. He should be working on his footwork, not just his release.

I still have high hopes for Gabe. Cheering for him big time. I'm actually quite confident he will make the team in October if he isn't traded before that. He's gonna be awesome next to Kopitar or Byfield next season. Book it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't think of Vilardi as a one-dimensional scorer. I think he has a lot more in him than that. He does need to produce to stay in the NHL, you're right about that, but he's gonna have to earn his playing time by doing all the little things. You can see his obvious skating deficiencies, but his real problem the last two years is his play away from the puck. He's not processing the game properly on the defensive side, so they had to move him away from center. He's been better since his call up because the Kings have covered up his problems moving him to the wing.

He knows he needs to be better defensively and away from the puck. His interview last night said exactly that. When he is able to assert himself all over the ice, the scoring will flow from that. He should be watching Kaliyev, the way he commits himself to the system. He should be working on his footwork, not just his release.

I still have high hopes for Gabe. Cheering for him big time. I'm actually quite confident he will make the team in October if he isn't traded before that. He's gonna be awesome next to Kopitar or Byfield next season. Book it.
His feet were too heavy for center.
Processing, he should be fine.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Dude it’s so f***ing bad. In the pic I just posted the car near the inside of the tire wore out a lot more quickly since the dude cambered it. So now I’m trying to find 305/35zr/20 107Y. It’s insanely limited. I don’t want to change sizes since my two back tires are new but the front are completely f***ed so I want to not mess with the tread
I always go with American Tires Depot. Right down the street from my work, so that makes it easy. But they are great -- service and good prices.
Just a quick glance and their Burbank store has 9 different tires matches your size specs -- ranging from $237 - $542 per tire (6 of them are $399 or less...2 under $300).

Edit: wrong store -- actually 'America's Tires'. They have one in Glendale it looks. Several in $225-400 range. Pilots at $391/tire.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sol

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He might, that is one of his two outcomes if you ask me. It’s pretty black and white, he either figures it out and puts up points or he doesn’t and flames out. I personally just don’t think he can overcome the skating in todays game but do acknowledge him being a 2nd line scorer is possible.

See I disagree with KP, I don’t think there is any way Gabe Vilardi is a 30-40 point guy who just hangs around a roster, he will either score enough to warrant a spot higher up in the lineup or he won’t score enough and he ends up overseas or having a journeyman AAAA career like Brendan Perlini or Brandon Pirri (not to pick on any Italians here, lol). 30-40 point guys in the NHL usually provide something beyond scoring, they are either defensively sound, kill penalties, provide grit or toughness, block shots or provide energy. Just not a ton of guys carving out careers as 35 point one-dimensional players in the league.

2nd line or bust.
Well... 35 points would be top-6 forward scoring for these teams:
Anaheim
Arizona
Calgary
Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Montreal
Nashville
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa
Philadelphia
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas
Washington

So, yes, while more offensively minded, 35 points is still good for more than half the league. Not all those players on these teams offers substantially more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad