GDT: 2021-22 season game 70 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @6:00pm 3/31/22

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Huge two points last night. Again, this team can lose by six goals to shit teams or beat anyone: nothing is surprising.

What was surprising is that I thought Calgary would play a heavier game. Feel like they let the Kings off the hook a bit. The Kings don't really go out and lay the wood physically so if other teams want to play that way, the Kings have a great chance of winning. When the other team decides to just come out and impose its superior physicality, the Kings are in a lot of trouble.

I still feel that this will be exposed in the playoffs but, if so, it just lets Blake know about an area that needs addressing. I'm sure he already knows this but this will also be a learning experience for a lot of young guys. Blake can't just replace ten dudes with ten bigger ones: these guys are going to have to man up.
Just another Sutter team saving it for the playoffs.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
That’s just too much statwatching and i do like AA (thats two).

I agree Vilardi should have had a couple of points by now but the eye test says enough. Points will come.

It's tangible offensive production, I know that is often called stat watching here anytime its brought up, but the difference in offensive production between the two players is pretty big. Neither player is a physical force, or a defensive player, they are both judged by how much offense they create for the Kings in that 3rd line role.

The Kings are the lowest scoring playoff team in the NHL, even with his faults they will almost certainly be welcoming back a player who has been able to score 9 times in only 22 games.

BTW, the Kings record is 14-3-5 in games that AA is in the lineup, now certainly not saying he is the main reason or anything, just further proof of how tough the Kings are when they get offensive production from that part of the lineup.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's tangible offensive production, I know that is often called stat watching here anytime its brought up, but the difference in offensive production between the two players is pretty big. Neither player is a physical force, or a defensive player, they are both judged by how much offense they create for the Kings in that 3rd line role.

The Kings are the lowest scoring playoff team in the NHL, even with his faults they will almost certainly be welcoming back a player who has been able to score 9 times in only 22 games.

BTW, the Kings record is 14-3-5 in games that AA is in the lineup, now certainly not saying he is the main reason or anything, just further proof of how tough the Kings are when they get offensive production from that part of the lineup.
It's the opposite of 2017-18 when the vets carried the team to the playoffs. It's our depth this time.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Vilardi does need to start getting on the stat sheet. He is working/skating hard and his hands are passing the eye test, but his stats definitely aren't. Byfield and Kupari are starting to move the needle toward bottom 6 production at least, and Gabe can't rely on TMac/Blake keeping him around as moral support or someone who tries hard; that's what Lizotte is for :P

I don't think the rumors swirling around him during the Chychrun trade deadline conversations were out of place. He is the odd man out or the throw-in for a future trade deal if he isn't careful. Try revitalizing your career in Arizona...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Vilardi does need to start getting on the stat sheet. He is working/skating hard and his hands are passing the eye test, but his stats definitely aren't. Byfield and Kupari are starting to move the needle toward bottom 6 production at least, and Gabe can't rely on TMac/Blake keeping him around as moral support or someone who tries hard; that's what Lizotte is for :P

I don't think the rumors swirling around him during the Chychrun trade deadline conversations were out of place. He is the odd man out or the throw-in for a future trade deal if he isn't careful. Try revitalizing your career in Arizona...

Vilardi is starting to impress IMO, what he is doing away from the puck and defensively is leading to Byfeild and Kupari having chances. It will come.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Vilardi has not been bad, not trying to say that. But it's just very unlikely he is in the Kings optimal lineup when everyone returns.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
AA - Byfield - Kupari
Lemieux - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Vilardi, Grundstrom, Brown, Lias

I think the most likely change is Brown replacing Kupari (just trying to think like TM), but Kupari has been really solid all around, providing good speed and physicality, it would really suck to see him replaced by Brown. But they never once sat Brown all year despite how awful he played

Reactions: Telos

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Are some posters ready to jump on Durzi for some bad reads on D? The kid is playing out of his mind minutes and should be sheltered at this stage of his NHL career. Anyone blaming Durzi right now should point the finger at Blake for sticking his finger up his nose (a la Turcotte) this trade deadline. Give him a steady vet and around 20 minutes and he will become a monster for us, if he is not already.
I don't think anyone's dumping on Durzi. He's a rookie. And he's not a strong player defensively. Acknowledging his shortcomings doesn't mean he's to blame or that people want to get rid of him.

He's in a very difficult position, and by and large, he's won over the hearts of almost everyone.

There is this odd trend lately where people assume criticism of a player's game means the player is either blamed or deemed expendable.

Reactions: YP44 and Telos

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Vilardi was involved in Byfield goal vs. Edmonton. His pressure made another player to turn the puck over.

Kings have scored three PP goals with a penalty against Vilardi since his call up.

He is well above 50% with the few face offs he has taken.

I recall him hitting the post two times (might be Moore too).

AA is more than okay but scored three goals with lucky shots. He had everything going for him at one point.

Its too little to whine about and I expect more.

However, the fact he is “AA’s replacement” looks like another reason to come up with Vilardi.

Leave Vilardi out of it and just say LA is missing AA.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Vilardi has not been bad, not trying to say that. But it's just very unlikely he is in the Kings optimal lineup when everyone returns.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
AA - Byfield - Kupari
Lemieux - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Vilardi, Grundstrom, Brown, Lias

I think the most likely change is Brown replacing Kupari (just trying to think like TM), but Kupari has been really solid all around, providing good speed and physicality, it would really suck to see him replaced by Brown. But they never once sat Brown all year despite how awful he played

Why AA? That is the bigger question for me.

Reactions: funky

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think the Kings do miss AA. I know he's not the most popular player on this board (well other than 1 person :) , but he was providing some tangible offensive production to the bottom six for a team that struggles to score goals.

Vilardi was basically his replacement and has 1+0 in 10 games since being recalled from Ontario, in comparison AA had 6+2 in the 11 games from his return from earlier injury to before he got hurt again. The Kings really do need that production back in there for the bottom six.

Once they all return to full health Doughty, Roy, Anderson, Lizotte, AA, Lemieux, (maybe Brown?) are all going to be back in. Now it's just a question of who comes out.
Vilardi, Byfield and Kupari are becoming a unit. If you swapped in AA for Vilardi then Kupari and Byfield are working together as a pair, with AA then cheating on offence to get his points. The line was driving play last night, it doesn’t do that with AA out there.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
AA can occasionally make a play out of nothing and score a goal all on his own.

When the team is playing a tight structured defensive game, that ability to poke through the system and get an occasional goal has some value. In theory it makes up for his shortcomings elsewhere.

I still rather have Vilardi or Kupari in the lineup though. Use this time to let them hone their game. AA is gone after this year, no need to invest in him.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They have 90 points with 4 games in hand on us and are a +34. Relaxing when you're comfortably a favorite and getting blown up when you're in a heated race are two completely different situations imo

Maybe, but again, that's not what was being said, it's about consistency, and again, in the NHL that's measured shift to shift, not week to week.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I root for AA, he's a likeable guy and he brings that lightning-strike element, but for all the complaints about the rookies' defense it's completely insane to gloss over AAs.

That being said if he gets put back in the lineup, it had better not be with Byfield, those guys are Muzzin-martinez levels of gasoline-match together.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I agree with this mostly, but Doughty and Quick have been excellent. I was a Doughty believer (to the point of naivety at times on this board), but he’s been ever better than the level I thought he could get back to.
Sounds like Doughty will end up missing over half the season while being very productive when playing. Quick has cooled off some after being awesome in the 2021 portion of this season. This is different from 17-18 in that none of the cup winning vets are carrying the team the second half of the season. Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty all set career highs for points in 17-18. Kopitar is still leading the team in points but won't put up over a point per game while winning the Selke like four years ago. Brown is set to have his lowest point total since his initial call up. Quick is having a below average season based on his gaa and save % compared to his career stats. I love these players, but the Kings are still winning games this season even when these guys don't play/produce. Depth is good.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
I root for AA, he's a likeable guy and he brings that lightning-strike element, but for all the complaints about the rookies' defense it's completely insane to gloss over AAs.

That being said if he gets put back in the lineup, it had better not be with Byfield, those guys are Muzzin-martinez levels of gasoline-match together.
Dude you brought back suppressed memories from sitting up in section 216 and thinking how can two decent defenders suck so much ass together! They were brutal that year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Why AA? That is the bigger question for me.
Because they could use his offense, Goal-scoring is still the teams biggest weakness. AA has been able to produce offense and the team has won a solid percentage with him in the lineup because when the bottom six scores this team can beat anyone.

The Kings will need offense by committee to win in the playoffs.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Because they could use his offense, Goal-scoring is still the teams biggest weakness. AA has been able to produce offense and the team has won a solid percentage with him in the lineup because when the bottom six scores this team can beat anyone.

The Kings will need offense by committee to win in the playoffs.

Maybe...I get it he has more finish right now.....but that line is creating more opportunity....Kings have a league low Shooting percentage of 8.3%, league average is 9.5.....fifth in shots per game, if they were scoring league average would be about 30+ plus more goals etc

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Maybe...I get it he has more finish right now.....but that line is creating more opportunity....Kings have a league low Shooting percentage of 8.3%, league average is 9.5.....fifth in shots per game, if they were scoring league average would be about 30+ plus more goals etc
True. But that is because they don’t have a lot of finishers and that is why someone who has been able to score better than all but 1 guy on a per-game is going to be back in. It’s not pretty, it’s not traditional LA Kings style hockey but he’s produced this year and the team has won when he’s in there better than when he hasn’t been.

If this team gets goals from all the lines they could do some damage.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
True. But that is because they don’t have a lot of finishers and that is why someone who has been able to score better than all but 1 guy on a per-game is going to be back in. It’s not pretty, it’s not traditional LA Kings style hockey but he’s produced this year and the team has won when he’s in there better than when he hasn’t been.

If this team gets goals from all the lines they could do some damage.

Agree, but this is the same argument way back before they won the Cups.....as long as they are producing chances, that's the production, do they need to finish, absolutely, but getting chances and finishing is a helluva lot better than not generating chances at all, the latter is when you have to worry

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Agree, but this is the same argument way back before they won the Cups.....as long as they are producing chances, that's the production, do they need to finish, absolutely, but getting chances and finishing is a helluva lot better than not generating chances at all, the latter is when you have to worry

The object of the game is to score more goals than your opponent. The coaches job is to create the best lineup that can both generate goals for and suppress goals against. The Kings have two lines who do a pretty good job suppressing and play a lot. For a team like the Kings who really don’t have any true first line players they need scoring from everyone to increase their chances to win in their defense first system.

Go through each player in the bottom six and see what the Kings record is when that player scores a goal. When the Kings get goals from anyone on those lines they usually win the game. So again why are you taking out the player from that group who has proven to be able to generate offense this season better than any of the guys you want in over him?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The object of the game is to score more goals than your opponent. The coaches job is to create the best lineup that can both generate goals for and suppress goals against. The Kings have two lines who do a pretty good job suppressing and play a lot. For a team like the Kings who really don’t have any true first line players they need scoring from everyone to increase their chances to win in their defense first system.

Go through each player in the bottom six and see what the Kings record is when that player scores a goal. When the Kings get goals from anyone on those lines they usually win the game. So again why are you taking out the player from that group who has proven to be able to generate offense this season better than any of the guys you want in over him?

Because when he's in the actual bottom six and not just piggybacking Danault's awesomeness he's a whole bunch worse than anyone we currently have in the bottom six despite 70% ozone starts.

1648862767190.png

And the problem with that is if he's not scoring--which he's not--he's an arguably league-worst liability based on history.

AA absolutely HAS to be with people who can cover for him if you want to take advantage of his possible lightning strike offense otherwise he's exactly the kind of player who will lose you a playoff series as teams exploit matchups.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Haven't looked it up yet, but if that proven guy allows more than he scores, that's an issue is it not?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Because when he's in the actual bottom six and not just piggybacking Danault's awesomeness he's a whole bunch worse than anyone we currently have in the bottom six despite 70% ozone starts.

View attachment 525232

And the problem with that is if he's not scoring--which he's not--he's an arguably league-worst liability based on history.

AA absolutely HAS to be with people who can cover for him if you want to take advantage of his possible lightning strike offense otherwise he's exactly the kind of player who will lose you a playoff series as teams exploit matchups.

Again, I’m not saying AA is anything great. But even without Danault he is providing more offense from the bottom six than anyone else that is currently down there. And if bottom six goals is a good indicator of the Kings winning games why wouldn’t you put him in there? It also lets Kupari move back to his natural position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad