GDT: 2021-22 season game 70 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @6:00pm 3/31/22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I’d bet DD will play in the play-offs regardless of his injury status, but after that I’m not sure who else will be back. Roy would be a nice add as would Lizotte but DD is the guy that would really move the needle. That and a return to form by Kopitar.

However, I’m not too worried because we aren’t winning anything in all probability so the most important thing is getting the younger guys some decent play-off experience. What I don’t want to see is us get swept 4-0. If they can win a couple of play-off games at a minimum it will be a great season, if they get out of the 1st round it will have been an outstanding season. At this point with the injuries, especially coming all at once, I won’t be too disappointed whatever happens.

I'm not sure if I'm worried that guys will or will not make it back. As in, this band of rookie defensemen and this rookie line might be our best shot in the playoffs. Doughty and Roy would likely be a big help, but I hope Durzi and Spence stay in the lineup. Hopefully Brown doesn't make it back any time soon. I'd love him to Stamkos it — play one shift in the Stanley Cup finals, score a goal, and ride off into the sunset.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
and now we cheer for Calgary tomorrow.
Calgary sure seems to get a lot of teams on the second half of a back to back.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure how healthy Calgary is, but I was actually pretty underwhelmed with their game.

Calgary has been the most fortunate team in the league, one of the most fortunate I can remember.

12 more points in their last 12 games will get them to 96, which should put them in the playoffs. 16 points in 12 games will get them to a shocking 100 points this season, which nobody would have predicted.

a 100 pt team this year would be outstanding. Even 96+ is amazing. I was hoping for the 2010 Kings at the beginning of the year and in a roundabout, heart attack way, that appears to be where we are headed.

Agree...was very impressed with the overall team performance, was expecting CAL to just run over the Kings and it just never happened. Not sure why we keep doubting this team, they've been beating good teams all year long, just another example even with the injuries.

Hats off to TM for picking Lias Andersson as first shooter....he must have been reading these boards for ideas as there is no possible way he came up with this on his own.

We keep doubting this team because they do weird shit like get run out of the building at home vs. Seattle before battling two top divisional opponents to a skills competition back to back on the road, it's a complete coin toss as to who shows up each night...some of that is definitely injuries + youthful inconsistencies at this point but even when the vets are here it's anyone's best guess who shows up any given night. But it's definitely a fun ride and makes it so we have to watch each game to it's conclusion because sometimes their will is just greater than whatever they're up against.

One thing is for sure. All this wild adversity and the crazy amount of flaws (PP, Pk, shooting, etc) this team has is going to be good for the team's growth, provided the vets don't just straight up die in the offseason this squad is shaping up to be a giant in waiting, being second in the division with this many injuries, rookies, and changes is a huge accomplishment. I'm as hard on TM as anyone and I'm def. not letting him off the hook for some of the dumb shit over the last couple of nights because I believe this team could be even better but he does also absolutely deserve the credit for keeping these guys up for the battle to this point as well.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Haha That's awesome. I bet if he was being honest though he's probably annoyed that they let it get to the shootout in the first place.

Probably annoyed at Johnny Hockey too. The turnover goal against, plus a few others while trying to leave the zone early. The attempted sell job trip on the pp that should've called a dive. And his milking that crosscheck that got him a penalty which was embellishment too.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Huge two points last night. Again, this team can lose by six goals to shit teams or beat anyone: nothing is surprising.

What was surprising is that I thought Calgary would play a heavier game. Feel like they let the Kings off the hook a bit. The Kings don't really go out and lay the wood physically so if other teams want to play that way, the Kings have a great chance of winning. When the other team decides to just come out and impose its superior physicality, the Kings are in a lot of trouble.

I still feel that this will be exposed in the playoffs but, if so, it just lets Blake know about an area that needs addressing. I'm sure he already knows this but this will also be a learning experience for a lot of young guys. Blake can't just replace ten dudes with ten bigger ones: these guys are going to have to man up.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Calgary has been the most fortunate team in the league, one of the most fortunate I can remember.

a 100 pt team this year would be outstanding. Even 96+ is amazing. I was hoping for the 2010 Kings at the beginning of the year and in a roundabout, heart attack way, that appears to be where we are headed.

We keep doubting this team because they do weird shit like get run out of the building at home vs. Seattle before battling two top divisional opponents to a skills competition back to back on the road, it's a complete coin toss as to who shows up each night...some of that is definitely injuries + youthful inconsistencies at this point but even when the vets are here it's anyone's best guess who shows up any given night. But it's definitely a fun ride and makes it so we have to watch each game to it's conclusion because sometimes their will is just greater than whatever they're up against.

One thing is for sure. All this wild adversity and the crazy amount of flaws (PP, Pk, shooting, etc) this team has is going to be good for the team's growth, provided the vets don't just straight up die in the offseason this squad is shaping up to be a giant in waiting, being second in the division with this many injuries, rookies, and changes is a huge accomplishment. I'm as hard on TM as anyone and I'm def. not letting him off the hook for some of the dumb shit over the last couple of nights because I believe this team could be even better but he does also absolutely deserve the credit for keeping these guys up for the battle to this point as well.

But can you not say about that about every team in the league?

Florida - Lose 4-1 to Seattle, 8-2 to Ottawa, blows out TAmpa 9 -3

Tampa - Lose 5-1 Anaheim, beats Calgary 4-1

Can keep going on etc, consistency in the NHL is measured more in shift to shift, than week to week.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Are some posters ready to jump on Durzi for some bad reads on D? The kid is playing out of his mind minutes and should be sheltered at this stage of his NHL career. Anyone blaming Durzi right now should point the finger at Blake for sticking his finger up his nose (a la Turcotte) this trade deadline. Give him a steady vet and around 20 minutes and he will become a monster for us, if he is not already.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
To be fair the injury performances aren’t really a shock when you consider we had talent to replace them with for the most part. Brown and AA aren’t really missed.

Kings miss Mikey Andersen
Doughty
Lemieux

And I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two more

Reactions: Fishhead

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But can you not say about that about every team in the league?

Florida - Lose 4-1 to Seattle, 8-2 to Ottawa, blows out TAmpa 9 -3

Tampa - Lose 5-1 Anaheim, beats Calgary 4-1

Can keep going on etc, consistency in the NHL is measured more in shift to shift, than week to week.

Absolutely, especially this year, blowouts are oddly common. I'd say the difference are those are established teams and you'd expect TBL to go out and extract revenge on the next ten teams after a blowout where the Kings are still establishing their place.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Absolutely, especially this year, blowouts are oddly common. I'd say the difference are those are established teams and you'd expect TBL to go out and extract revenge on the next ten teams after a blowout where the Kings are still establishing their place.

Agreed, except even TB hasn't done that....

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
The facts show otherwise so yes they are. You are showing just emotion.

Month february; 8 GP / 12 points.
Month march; 15 GP / 19 points.

For every loss they win two games.
My man...taken way too seriously...we Kings fans have PTSD...best predictor of tomorrow is yesterday

(PS I bet you it will not be as easy as you think...esp 2nd place)

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think the Kings do miss AA. I know he's not the most popular player on this board (well other than 1 person :) , but he was providing some tangible offensive production to the bottom six for a team that struggles to score goals.

Vilardi was basically his replacement and has 1+0 in 10 games since being recalled from Ontario, in comparison AA had 6+2 in the 11 games from his return from earlier injury to before he got hurt again. The Kings really do need that production back in there for the bottom six.

Once they all return to full health Doughty, Roy, Anderson, Lizotte, AA, Lemieux, (maybe Brown?) are all going to be back in. Now it's just a question of who comes out.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I'm not sure if I'm worried that guys will or will not make it back. As in, this band of rookie defensemen and this rookie line might be our best shot in the playoffs. Doughty and Roy would likely be a big help, but I hope Durzi and Spence stay in the lineup. Hopefully Brown doesn't make it back any time soon. I'd love him to Stamkos it — play one shift in the Stanley Cup finals, score a goal, and ride off into the sunset.
Nice.. One minor adjustment to that - how about a Sedin like hit vs a goal :)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think the Kings do miss AA. I know he's not the most popular player on this board (well other than 1 person :) , but he was providing some tangible offensive production to the bottom six for a team that struggles to score goals.

Vilardi was basically his replacement and has 1+0 in 10 games since being recalled from Ontario, in comparison AA had 6+2 in the 11 games from his return from earlier injury to before he got hurt again. The Kings really do need that production back in there for the bottom six.
That’s just too much statwatching and i do like AA (thats two).

I agree Vilardi should have had a couple of points by now but the eye test says enough. Points will come.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad