GDT: 2021-22 season game 64 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @1:00pm 3/19/22

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Based on what? Size and speed that he doesn’t use? That’s what he was drafted for. Size and speed. His IQ is okay. His shot is poor, his stick handling looks poor and his defense is average.
I just don’t see anything that makes me say that he’s an NHL player, let alone the franchise savior.
I’d trade him immediately before the rest of the NHL figured him out. I literally have zero confidence. I’ve been saying it before the draft. I drank the koolaide before he came up but I’m bearish.

Yes, you just answered it. Once he learns to use his size and speed as well as once he puts on some more muscle he could be a monster. He’s only 19

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Still waiting for the best prospect pool in the NHL to produce a forward that does something.

This is starting to feel like an Andy Murray season where half the team gets injured and we fall off a cliff.

This team has shown a lot of resiliency through out the year, hopefully they're able to get through this.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
shit performance in a game they couldn't lose. You have a chance to put 8 points between you and Vegas and now its a 4 point gap you f***ing idiots. If you needed anymore indication to fix your shitty special teams this was the game. It cannot continue like this anymore
It couldn’t continue like this after 20 games for anyone with eyes. Not for any team that has any real aspirations for success.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think I’m leaning towards the ‘Byfield Sucks’ camp. I’m sure at some point he’ll be a good player, maybe great, but he’s pretty bad RIGHT NOW.

I don’t think this is good for his confidence, I think he’d be better suited playing well in ONT. I get that he may have ‘nothing else to prove’ at that level, but being so young now could make the sucking at the NHL level a very dangerous situation for his psyche.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think I’m leaning towards the ‘Byfield Sucks’ camp. I’m sure at some point he’ll be a good player, maybe great, but he’s pretty bad RIGHT NOW.

I don’t think this is good for his confidence, I think he’d be better suited playing well in ONT. I get that he may have ‘nothing else to prove’ at that level, but being so young now could make the sucking at the NHL level a very dangerous situation for his psyche.

I tend to agree, this is not the same dude who was taking over the game before his broken ankle, or the one who played his bag off vs. the Avs, getting all sorts of attention... right now he appears to be getting in his own head a little bit more with every passing shift.

And if he skates by one more check i'm gonna lose my mind.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It's pretty unreal that game after game you can pull d-men names out of a hat and go 15 deep before you're in trouble...but cannot get one forward to score.

This shit is beyond the pale

comically bad. i honestly dont know how to change that. we have a league-worst 8% shooting. the ducks are about the median at 9.4% shooting. st louis is first with 11.5%.

if we were shooting at 9.5%, we would have an extra 33 goals, or 212ish goals. that would put us in sixth in the league in goals for. the only other playoff team in the bottom 10 of the league in shooting percentage is boston.

we need to trade for some guys who can put the puck in the f***ing net

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
I swear I thought the kings would have drafted Stuetzle, given their large presence in Germany. I had no doubt it was on their mind but I think at the end of the day they wanted a “project” since they’re quite loaded down the middle. But still I think he needs time. Maybe I’ll be wrong in 5 years but with the talent we have in the middle, I’m willing to wait.

The clear problem is that line 1 needs to be revamped. Iaffalo is not a top 6 player so he needs to be in the 3rd or 4th line. Kempe even though he’s having a breakout season, I believe he has had a lot of empty netters (lol). Our PP1 needs to include less of AI. Personally I’m not a big fan of him, been saying this since last year but coaches and teammates love him.

Reactions: Herby

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
comically bad. i honestly dont know how to change that. we have a league-worst 8% shooting. the ducks are about the median at 9.4% shooting. st louis is first with 11.5%.

if we were shooting at 9.5%, we would have an extra 33 goals, or 212ish goals. that would put us in sixth in the league in goals for. the only other playoff team in the bottom 10 of the league in shooting percentage is boston.

That's what I mean. I'm completely at a loss. Sure, there are some injuries...but the combo of vets and youth should be sufficient to get SOME offense going. Like I said, it blows my mind that we can fish our rookie AHL dmen up and they perform admirably, but no matter what forwards we have, no one can do a thing--veteran, rookie, it doesn't matter. "low shooting talent" is an explanation but we've officially hit the sweet spot where the vets can't help anymore I guess (although I'm loathe to call Kempe or Iafallo 'old') and the kids aren't here yet (if ever).

How can we possibly be going on 15 years of the worst offense on Earth and it's getting worse

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
That's what I mean. I'm completely at a loss. Sure, there are some injuries...but the combo of vets and youth should be sufficient to get SOME offense going. Like I said, it blows my mind that we can fish our rookie AHL dmen up and they perform admirably, but no matter what forwards we have, no one can do a thing--veteran, rookie, it doesn't matter. "low shooting talent" is an explanation but we've officially hit the sweet spot where the vets can't help anymore I guess (although I'm loathe to call Kempe or Iafallo 'old') and the kids aren't here yet (if ever).

How can we possibly be going on 15 years of the worst offense on Earth and it's getting worse

In case anyone is wondering, since the 04-05 lockout, the Kings literally do have the lowest shooting percentage in the entire league. 32/32. This isn’t hyperbole. 8.3% shooting on 39,723 shots. Dead last.

28th out of 30 in goals scored as well, ahead of only Arizona and New Jersey.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

The Kings could trade for prime Ovechkin and still be the worst scoring team in the whole damn league.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
The Kings could trade for prime Ovechkin and still be the worst scoring team in the whole damn league.

It really makes me wonder whether we’re better off trading guys like Byfield, Kupari, Vilardi, and Turcotte for established scoring players on good contracts when and where we can. We’ve always done a pretty good job developing goalies, defensemen, and secondary offensive players, but Kopitar’s the last offensive guy we really developed, if you can even call it that. He was honestly just so good, he stepped in as the 1C and never let go.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
It really makes me wonder whether we’re better off trading guys like Byfield, Kupari, Vilardi, and Turcotte for established scoring players on good contracts when and where we can. We’ve always done a pretty good job developing goalies, defensemen, and secondary offensive players, but Kopitar’s the last offensive guy we really developed, if you can even call it that. He was honestly just so good, he stepped in as the 1C and never let go.

Hey Les Snead says "F*** them Picks" and won a Super Bowl. Perhaps this miiight just work. :sarcasm:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Just went back and watched the lowlights -- that turnover by Byfield that lead to the SH goal was pretty gross.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just went back and watched the lowlights -- that turnover by Byfield that lead to the SH goal was pretty gross.

It was. You have to be able to count on him to get the puck deep there. Total rookie mistake.

I have no problem with rookie mistakes in general but he's making more compounding errors lately and not really showing us the other side of the coin as he was upon first callup.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
To late to do that now. Should have just moved the picks before making them on forwards, once Blake's beach volleyball buddies get a hold of them the damage was done.

We might be able to get some comparable developed forwards for a couple of our defenders though. For as bad as they are with forwards they are just as good with D. Maybe get some teams comparable young forward for Grans or Faber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad