GDT: 2021-22 Season game 57 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @10:00am 3/6/22

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It's gotta be fun to be Byfield and see that the only forwards that didn't get any PP time were Arvidsson (injury), Lizotte (PKs, though), and QB.
I wonder if QB gets any PP reps in practice.. it would have to start there so he knows the system. Thats a puzzler to me, because PP gives him time to be creative - and if he put up some points on the PP it would build his overall confidence. Its not like there is much downside to using him there the team is so decrepit esp on PP1

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wonder if QB gets any PP reps in practice.. it would have to start there so he knows the system. Thats a puzzler to me, because PP gives him time to be creative - and if he put up some points on the PP it would build his overall confidence. Its not like there is much downside to using him there the team is so decrepit esp on PP1

I am gobsmacked at how a large presence with great hands (Byfield) is NOT put on a powerplay in front of the net.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I feel sorry for Andersson, the guy played well out of camp and got hurt which is the only reason he lost his spot. By the time he got back Pepe and Lizotte are playing great with Kaliyev so he's the odd man out. After a few more games in the A to get back in sync, I'd like to see him recalled. Vilardi played his way off the team but now he's earned a recall too. He's been getting better and better down there and has played most of his 36 games in Ontario on the wing now, where he needs to be tried out. The Buffalo game shows we need more finish on the wingers and he could provide that, best to see if he can do it before we go deadline shopping. Byfield should go back down for a bit, IDGAF who is on his wing, he's talented enough to be producing better than this even centering myself and Lt Dan. And Lt. Dan don't have no legs.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I am gobsmacked at how a large presence with great hands (Byfield) is NOT put on a powerplay in front of the net.

I cant recall the last time the Kings had a prospect of his caliber absolutely getting no bones thrown to them at all. Byfield is very misused and given no chance.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Byfield going 1/5 on faceoffs isn't great. Kopitar was 11/17 (65%), Danault was 7/12 (58%), and Lizotte was 9/10 (90%). I still think we go after a center at the trade deadline. There's still a window for our old core, we'd be crazy not to if the price was right. I still say we shoot for JT Miller.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Miller - Kaliyev
Lemieux - Lizotte - Brown

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Byfield going 1/5 on faceoffs isn't great. Kopitar was 11/17 (65%), Danault was 7/12 (58%), and Lizotte was 9/10 (90%). I still think we go after a center at the trade deadline. There's still a window for our old core, we'd be crazy not to if the price was right. I still say we shoot for JT Miller.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Miller - Kaliyev
Lemieux - Lizotte - Brown
There is no window for the old core. Look at what the old guard is bringing to the table right now, it’s pedestrian at best.

There will be no measurable playoff success until management moves on from that particular delusion.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Byfield sucks in the NHL right now. He's a negative and let's not act like that's not what's happening. He's super young so not shocking but you'd also like to see more. The IQ critiques look spot on right now. Also, like, maybe throw a check in the corner instead of some dumb stop-short-poke-with-small-stick move?

This is a big summer for him. Keep learning for now but dig in to the tape and be a true rink rat this summer. All the tools are there but the tool box is lacking big time. Let's hope he isn't the Jack Johnson of forwards.

Reactions: Herby

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There is no window for the old core. Look at what the old guard is bringing to the table right now, it’s pedestrian at best.

There will be no measurable playoff success until management moves on from that particular delusion.

The old guard are still 1C, 1D and 1G. Brown is the only issue and is one that resolves itself next year.

Reactions: funky and Herby

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

But there is, and it's this year. Brown's got two months left as a King, Quick has one more year, Kopitar has two. We're in second place in our division. The trade deadline is two weeks from tomorrow. If the Kings are in as good a position as they are now or even better by that time, they should improve the team. As it is, we're going to have a roster crunch coming. Why not consolidate some of our pieces into one great piece?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
But there is, and it's this year. Brown's got two months left as a King, Quick has one more year, Kopitar has two. We're in second place in our division. The trade deadline is two weeks from tomorrow. If the Kings are in as good a position as they are now or even better by that time, they should improve the team. As it is, we're going to have a roster crunch coming. Why not consolidate some of our pieces into one great piece?
Improving this team in the name of “going for it” is mortgaging the future for a kick at the can that doesn’t exist.

Any team with this version of Kopitar/Doughty/Brown as the main pieces is simply an emotional tether to past success, not an actual contender worthy of spending quality assets to improve upon.

The Kings will remain in limbo between rebuild & contention until that tether to the past is severed, and all the decisions made are about what makes the team better in the future with the next wave of young talent.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
Therein lies the problem.
If you replace all three of, Kopitar,Quick & Doughty with other players...do you think they're are in 1st in the Pacific? because with them being the problem, we are currently in 2nd. I'd agree with you if we were at present sitting outside of the playoffs, but them being a problem seems to be working pretty well right now. Just sayin.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
If you replace all three of, Kopitar,Quick & Doughty with other players...do you think they're are in 1st in the Pacific? because with them being the problem, we are currently in 2nd. I'd agree with you if we were at present sitting outside of the playoffs, but them being a problem seems to be working pretty well right now. Just sayin.
No advocation for replacing them with anybody here.

Just saying that expending assets for short term fixes with that particular group still steering the ship is a waste. Doughty & Kopitar will remain good players for some time, but their reign as primary players on a contender has long past.

Develop the high-level prospects we have in meaningful games, like the team is currently playing, and let the results be ancillary.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to say that any 'replacement' of anyone on the roster that doesn't result in a kid coming up is a move that will give a futile push now at the expense of the future.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield sucks in the NHL right now. He's a negative and let's not act like that's not what's happening. He's super young so not shocking but you'd also like to see more. The IQ critiques look spot on right now. Also, like, maybe throw a check in the corner instead of some dumb stop-short-poke-with-small-stick move?

This is a big summer for him. Keep learning for now but dig in to the tape and be a true rink rat this summer. All the tools are there but the tool box is lacking big time. Let's hope he isn't the Jack Johnson of forwards.

He's definitely going thru it right now and I think he'll be better for it.

I disagree on the IQ because I see a guy who is hesitating, not stupid. He's trying to make the right plays to guys who are--systematically--supposed to be there, but they aren't. Or he hits them and they fumble. QB is a quarterback getting rung up for interceptions that are hitting his receivers in the hands and making bigger mistakes trying to get the ball out of trouble himself. You'll see the confidence build and the "IQ" sort itself out when he can get some momentum. Same thing happened in the AHL once the flow became more natural rather than a thought.

It's not at all unusual for youth to compound mistakes/get shook, see the last three games for perfect examples.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Byfield is good but the icetime issue and line issues are making him look worse. But in the same breath it’s safe to say for a 2nd overall pick hes very unimpressive. Unless byfield really turns it around and is allowed to build some confidence I think it will be safe to say that Stutzle is the best player from the top 3. He’s been easily outplayed by all the other centers. Even lizotte started on the fourth line and looked better than Byfields does now when lizzo joined

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I feel sorry for Andersson, the guy played well out of camp and got hurt which is the only reason he lost his spot. By the time he got back Pepe and Lizotte are playing great with Kaliyev so he's the odd man out. After a few more games in the A to get back in sync, I'd like to see him recalled. Vilardi played his way off the team but now he's earned a recall too. He's been getting better and better down there and has played most of his 36 games in Ontario on the wing now, where he needs to be tried out. The Buffalo game shows we need more finish on the wingers and he could provide that, best to see if he can do it before we go deadline shopping. Byfield should go back down for a bit, IDGAF who is on his wing, he's talented enough to be producing better than this even centering myself and Lt Dan. And Lt. Dan don't have no legs.
I don't know. I've pretty much given up on Andersson.

He's very good around the net, which helps him statistically at lower levels, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can be a good NHL player. He's played 100+ games over the course of 5 seasons in this league now. He's 23 and didn't show diddly in his 13 games this year.

Give him another stint and see what he can do. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not expecting anything from him. He'll be 24 next season.

He looks like one of those guys who can produce in every league except the NHL.

Reactions: kingsfan

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I admit I didn't watch the game today that closely, but whenever I saw Byfield he looked like he was buzzing around and playing relatively well.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I admit I didn't watch the game today that closely, but whenever I saw Byfield he looked like was buzzing around and playing relatively well.

Yeah my critiques of Byfield as well is just throughout the season he's looked underwhelming and unimpressive. Even the whole linemates issue thing is true, but he doesn't stand out too much amongst them either for a second overall player.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know. I've pretty much given up on Andersson.

He's very good around the net, which helps him statistically at lower levels, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can be a good NHL player. He's played 100+ games over the course of 5 seasons in this league now. He's 23 and didn't show diddly in his 13 games this year.

Give him another stint and see what he can do. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not expecting anything from him. He'll be 24 next season.

He looks like one of those guys who can produce in every league except the NHL.

It's possible that either guy is what you say, a AAAA player, but both Andersson and Grundstrom keep running into the same issue of only being able to play 5 games at a time before being benched/injured. The drawback of this year's roster overflow.

I do think they give Andersson another year due to what they gave up for him and due to injuries. He does bring a unique element that may be leaving with Brown off the team, ie. deadly within 15 feet of the net, hard to move off the boards.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I have faith in Byfield getting better, but right now he’s Amadio/Shore. He’s just a body out there, doesn’t seem to create something from nothing and doesn’t engage physically to make up for lack of production.

And I still believe Blake should trade for a forward ages 24-26 that they can lock up to help in the future. My hopes in the organization calling up certain players or forwards prospects panning out is wavering.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I do think they give Andersson another year due to what they gave up for him and due to injuries. He does bring a unique element that may be leaving with Brown off the team, ie. deadly within 15 feet of the net, hard to move off the boards.
But even with Brown gone, JAD and Vilardi pretty much have to be on the team next year. So there's really no room for him.

So unless there's a trade, the 13th forward spot will be between Lias and Grundstrom.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad