GDT: 2021-22 Season game 57 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @10:00am 3/6/22

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Byfield's biggest flaw at the moment is his flyby poke checks. He is borderline overly dependent on them.

He needs to learn when he should attempt it versus when he should use more body and muscle. Because right now, he attempts to poke at someone who is protecting the puck, and he's going the other way. Consequently, he's slow in getting back involved in the play.

The skillset and intelligence is there. When the forecheck is established in the opponent's zone, he does very well.

This is why he's not good linemates with Athanasiou, Kempe, and Brown in particular. Athanasiou and Kempe are skilled, but thrive more on carrying the puck and one-and-done chances. Brown has been really struggling with the puck for the most part.

Players like Moore, Iafallo, Danault, Kopitar, and Lizotte, who have the strength, skill, and style to establish a forecheck, would give great cohesion and growth.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Byfield's biggest flaw at the moment is his flyby poke checks. He is borderline overly dependent on them.

He needs to learn when he should attempt it versus when he should use more body and muscle. Because right now, he attempts to poke at someone who is protecting the puck, and he's going the other way. Consequently, he's slow in getting back involved in the play.
it's kinda funny huh, like that big body with the athleticism is such a blessing but he doesn't quite know how to use it yet

i don't know if he has any mean streak in him but if he started throwing that weight around instead of trying to finesse it he'd be a big problem for other teams. already seen checkers pretty much bounce off of him

development is development though, i'm confident he'll sort out this stuff with some time and coaching. if that means an AHL stint so be it, f*** all the "toldyouso'ers" re: draft order

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No advocation for replacing them with anybody here.

Just saying that expending assets for short term fixes with that particular group still steering the ship is a waste. Doughty & Kopitar will remain good players for some time, but their reign as primary players on a contender has long past.

Develop the high-level prospects we have in meaningful games, like the team is currently playing, and let the results be ancillary.

Quick, 36
Kopitar, 34
Doughty, 32
Danault, 29
Arvidsson, soon 29
Iafallo, 28
Roy, 27
Petersen, 27
Moore, soon to be 27
Kempe, 25

This is half the roster. None of them going anywhere for at least another year. They made their choice when they listened to Doughty and brought in Danault and Arvidsson. Not saying Byfield or Clarke should be going anywhere, but there aren't enough spots for everyone. This year, or next year. They have Anderson, and Bjornfot, and Durzi who are 24 and younger. That's your top 5D. How many can you have? At some point people have to go.

I was all for simply waiting out the length of the Kopitar contract before seeing them do anything, because I don't care, I've seen them win already, I don't care if Kopitar or Doughty specifically win again, but they're not in that spot anymore. They wasted years of Kopitar/Doughty/etc. How many years of Danault do you waste? You can say Danault shouldn't be the centerpiece of a contender, so why bother bringing him in the first place, and that's fine. But they did that, and he's made the team better. Do you wait a couple more years for Byfield to be an 80pt center? Then all the other guys are a couple years older, and you still have to add anyway, and who knows which prospects don't pan out and lose value by then. Not that there won't be more prospects on the way. There's always more prospects on the way.

The Byfield's have to support the veterans, not the other way around. Good or bad, that's the choice the Kings made. Again, no need to go nuts, but that's a lot of money and age in half your roster. No point in going half way and then stopping. If you're adding Danault and Arvidsson, and then the team is actually half way decent, something should be done if possible. Maybe Kopitar isn't as good next year, Danault doesn't have a career year, and Arvidsson misses 40 games. Then you've wasted this year, and next year. Unless Byfield becomes the 80pt guy, and Kaliyev gets 45. Then you might have some room to work.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
No advocation for replacing them with anybody here.

Just saying that expending assets for short term fixes with that particular group still steering the ship is a waste. Doughty & Kopitar will remain good players for some time, but their reign as primary players on a contender has long past.

Develop the high-level prospects we have in meaningful games, like the team is currently playing, and let the results be ancillary.
Except you're forgetting Doughty basically demanded they try to win another one with this core. They didn't have a choice. You're acting like we all don't deep down feel the same way you do. We do. But I also acknowledge that they're between a rock and hard place.

Reactions: Trash Panda

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Except you're forgetting Doughty basically demanded they try to win another one with this core. They didn't have a choice. You're acting like we all don't deep down feel the same way you do. We do. But I also acknowledge that they're between a rock and hard place.
I guess that’s where I firmly believe that players need to play & managers need to manage.

The two rarely cross over in any way that resembles functionality.

Reactions: 21Dog

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Sure dude.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING – Doughty deeds done dirt cheap? Sacramento Kings EDITION

MarkusKetterer :

TheMistyStranger : They really are making the rounds. Utah Jazz last week, Sacramento Kings this week...are the Rough Riders on the Sabres schedule for next week?
Buffaloed : Dunleavy's dressed like a lounge singer. Is he channeling Don Cherry?
Who's up for a skinner skinner chicken dinner? Available at Goal-fil-A
Dubi Doo : I fear Tokarski is going to make things very tough for them.
Chainshot : Uh oh, Danault.
MarkusKetterer : Durzi. Why did we pass on him? Besides Botterill was a thing?
ek93 : Dunleavy must be salivating every time Mikey Anderson is on the ice. He can do his classic “put an unnecessary ‘y’ at the end of a player’s first name” all afternoon!
MarkusKetterer : That’s why I’m watching the Kings feed
Bobby Bottle Service : Nice little squiggle from a stickless Dahlin
Buffaloed : Dahlin should study Doughty to learn dirty tricks.
MarkusKetterer : Doughty deeds done dirt cheap?
Chainshot : Unlike Minny, LA defends the line. They have to shoot it in and get a double team on the forecheck.
Dubi Doo : Went from high flying hockey to boggled down hockey pretty damn quickly.
Chainshot : Well-conceived back-post play by the Kings on that shift.
MarkusKetterer : As an aside, the female reporter on the Kings broadcast is the same one from NHL 21 and NHL 22
WeLikeEich : Lucky LA didn’t score there. Tokarski was out of position for a rebound. Net was wide open.
MarkusKetterer : Also I love Peterson’s “Grant Fuhr” mask.
Buffaloed : Not a bad first period by the Buffalo Sabres
Dubi Doo : Momentum started shifting in LAs favor after that shift by the 4th line where they iced it 3 times, but the Sabres closed out the final shift of that period really well.
joshjull : Okposo’s daughter is adorable
Buffaloed : Now go bloody a King's nose Kyle and show your daughter how it's done
Old Navy Goat : The Kings love that stretch pass been trying it all game
BuffaloGooner : Kings are absolutely swallowing anything we’re trying to do offensively
Chainshot : Tokarski just SWIMS in his crease. Oh lord.
sabres4ever : Dustin goes swimming
Abraham de Lacy : Here's to swimming with bowlegged women ! Cheers
Fezzy126 : Live look at Tokarski's goaltending style and Arvidsson's reaction to it:
fish-dog-owned-surprise-food-gif-5397151.gif

MarkusKetterer : Yup, I say Eakin and Dustin switch positions. But strong play by Hagg not letting Arvidsson come back inside to get another “Columbus in OT” goal
Buffaloed : Dell would have flattened at least one King on that sequence.
BG82 : Doughty is hunting. Kids got to keep there heads up today
Chainshot : I would love to see someone catch his ass with his head down. But we don't have that sort of team... :l
Dubi Doo : The good news is he's not head hunting. Just beautifully timed hip checks for the most part.
Dubi Doo : Not much of a forecheck today. Sabres really struggle to dump, chase, retrieve, and forecheck. We're playing well defensively, though.
Old Navy Goat : Dahlin dancing, Kings broadcasters heaping praise on him
MarkusKetterer : The Kings broadcast is praising Dahlin
MarkusKetterer :

GrierIsGod123 : two bad shifts led to that one ... started by the shithead mullet
Gabrielor : Clownshow shift by 37-24-21 there
Old Navy Goat : The Kings and their stretch pass caught Samuelsson to spring that 2 on 1
Zman5778 : Helluva shot by AA there. That one beats most NHL goalies
sabres4ever : TOO MANY CARELESS PASSES!
Dubi Doo : Seems like we're playing the game of 'hit as many Kings with the puck as possible'. We're doing pretty f***ing well.
JLewyB : Bad pinch by Samuelson led to the goal.
BuffaloGooner : We haven’t really played bad IMO, just not good enough if that makes sense. Thompson should have a couple himself.
GrierIsGod123 : They're very close to breaking through. It's going to take a really nice period to win this game, as the Kings look pretty well oiled to me. Not the type of team we typically score much against.
MarkusKetterer : AA and Byfield look like they could be brothers
joshjull : They just can’t generate much
MarkusKetterer : Too many passes. And rough spill by Arvidsson
Dubi Doo : It's a pretty even defensive game. Not much excitement for either team so far, and I think that's the way LA wants it.
Edit: LA is the better team today, but Theyre not generating much, either. Theyve completely shut these guys down, tho.
MarkusKetterer : Best we can do is a field goal — Buffalo Sabres, probably
Chainshot : Nice of the Kings to help the kids at the game get caught up on their naps.
joshjull : Love the random call after letting things go all game.
Chainshot : Love the random call after letting things go all game.
MarkusKetterer : Tage, blow up a “cut across the middle” Kempe
Buffaloed : Doesn't look like anything is broken. Was worried about the collar bone. (Tuch injury)
Sansbacon : That… looked bad. Shit.
Hopefully just a minor headache with some soreness and nothing more. Ouch.
sabres4ever : Tuch is laying motionless on the ice, the net is off it's moorings, and they let LA skate to our blue line. So, what you're saying is, play continues indefinitely until there's a scoring threat?
jc17 : Have to take shots when they're there. Kings not allowing a cycle
gallagt01 : L.A. getting away with murder here. Making the Hayden penalty look especially weak.
Chainshot : NHL game management, ladies and gentlemen. Game. Management.
oldgoalie : f*** these NHL officials. Beer league bullshit, and it’s not getting any better.
GrierIsGod123 : The poor children ... how sad that this is the game they got to watch. Terrible.
stokes84 : They look tired, but Kings just consistently winning puck battles. That’s the difference.
Dubi Doo : Hopefully we dont play LA again this season. What a snooze fest.
GrierIsGod123 : Yeah they're a boring team with a boring uninspiring roster, but man they look great defensively.
sabremike : In the 1990's the Riley Knicks implemented a style that was closer to Rollerball than Basketball. Unless you were a Knicks fan it was essentially unwatchable and national ratings plummeted as the style was picked up on by more teams. The NBA responded by essentially legislating it out of existence.
Those are my thoughts on today's game.
ValJamesDuex : Sabres don't play well against big teams or teams that lock it down.
As expected nice win on Caesar's today.
jc17 : I'll say what no one wants to admit:

We scored no goals because the pregame speech was weak. Kyle's son needs to watch some bruce Boudreau clips before the next one
Bobby Bottle Service : Of course it had to be Cal Pete shutting us out. Good effort overall, could have won that.
TheMistyStranger : I watched part of the first and bailed. it was ugly and boring.
SpilledBrewskie : The stupid style of play LA uses. How boring jeez. They have a bunch of young guys and this is how they want them to play? I know they are having a good year but they are the opposite of exciting.
Dubi Doo : It really is awful hockey. It seemed like it was open, back and forth hockey for the first half of the first period, then the Kings just clogged it up after that, and that exciting play turned to a snoozefest. They were more than content suppressing chances for both teams with their style of play. It's boring as hell, but Id bet that defensive style has helped them to sneak into a playoff spot this year. Just glad we dont play them very often.
Buffaloed : LA played a good road game and it took a good road game to beat the Sabres today. That's progress.
OkimLom : Went to see The Batman at gametime...don't regret it.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Doughty said what he said, but I highly doubt those Arvidsson and Danault deals were because of him. Those were no-brainers at the cost for any team that had some cap space and spots available. If they would have went out and acquired a Pavelski, or Kessel, or an older guy like that then fine, I'd totally agree. The Arvy and Danault deals were 100% hockey moves. Where we are at without those two is a terrible place, and only a couple of the guys that have come up this year have forced hands - Kaliyev and Durzi.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
But even with Brown gone, JAD and Vilardi pretty much have to be on the team next year. So there's really no room for him.

So unless there's a trade, the 13th forward spot will be between Lias and Grundstrom.

The team usually carries 14 forwards and 7 defensemen alongside 2 goalies, so 23 total active roster spots. If we're assuming that Brown and Athanasiou leave and Vilardi and JAD join the team, that still leaves room for both Grundstrom and Andersson as extra forwards/injury replacements.

1. Kopitar
  2. Kempe
  3. Iafallo
  4. Danault
  5. Moore
  6. Arvidsson
  7. Byfield
  8. Vilardi
  9. JAD
  10. Lizotte
  11. Lemieux
  12. Kaliyev
  13. Andersson
  14. Grundstrom
Right? Am I forgetting anyone? The only guys from the Kings' 2017 draft class that will be waived are Markus Phillips and Matt Villalta, assuming they even re-sign Phillips.

Reactions: johnjm22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I mean if you missed that story, then you missed it. But Doughty 100% made it clear he wanted them to try and win, or he wanted out. That's not up for debate.

He never said he wanted out.

There's this, from 2017:
“My first love will always be L.A.,” he said. “It’s one of the best organizations in all of sports, not just hockey. It’s unbelievable. They treat us first-class, and it’s a good place to play. Living in Los Angeles, you can’t beat it. I’d love to re-sign in L.A. But if our team isn’t going in the right direction…I want to win Cups. I don’t give a s--- where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that’s the bottom line.”

Doughty just wants to win – whether it's in L.A. or somewhere else

That was quickly followed up with:
"My one comment, 'I don't care where I play. I just want to win [Stanley] Cups.' That is true. I just want to win Cups," said Doughty, who can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018-19 season. "When I said that, it didn't mean I didn't want to do it in L.A. The bottom line is all I care about is Cups. I don't want to win a Cup anywhere else but L.A. That's the bottom line."

Doughty wants to remain King for life

But the "we need help" story was at the end of last season:
"Me and 'Kopi,' 'Quickie,' 'Brownie,' we're all getting older," Doughty said. "We all had, I thought, phenomenal seasons, but we're running out of time. You've got two of the best players at their position (Kopitar and Doughty), both ways, two of the most complete players at the position. And with all this [NHL salary] cap room, yeah, we've got to bring guys in. That's it, for sure. There's no point just waiting for these prospects to develop when you've got guys in their prime, guys that are hungry to win and guys that are sick of losing so, yeah, we've got to bring guys in."

"That's the bottom line, that's what we need," Doughty said. "All the individual players need to get better over the summer, stuff like that, but as a team we just need to be better and get better. That's not just on the players."

Doughty sees Kings 'running out of time,' wants aggressive offseason

No where did he say that if the Kings didn't bring in help he'd look for a way out, but it's also not like Doughty suggesting that the Kings needed help changed Blake's offseason plan. It was time to bring in some help regardless of Drew's thoughts. LA had so much cap space tied up last year, they couldn't be competitive even if they wanted to.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm hoping at this point this is Blake catching his kids Drew and Anze smoking a cigarette and saying "fine, you want to smoke? I'll stand here while you smoke the whole pack," trading for some vets and increasing their minutes and FORCING the team to go as they go...because now he can point out see Anze your days of absolute 5v5 dominance are done and from here on out we're doing what we want, get on board.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
He never said he wanted out.

There's this, from 2017:

Doughty just wants to win – whether it's in L.A. or somewhere else

That was quickly followed up with:

Doughty wants to remain King for life

But the "we need help" story was at the end of last season:

Doughty sees Kings 'running out of time,' wants aggressive offseason

No where did he say that if the Kings didn't bring in help he'd look for a way out, but it's also not like Doughty suggesting that the Kings needed help changed Blake's offseason plan. It was time to bring in some help regardless of Drew's thoughts. LA had so much cap space tied up last year, they couldn't be competitive even if they wanted to.
Exactly. I didn't miss the story. I think it would front page hockey news if his "demands" included getting out. Anytime someone claims something is "not up for debate" you can bet they're full of shit.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He's definitely going thru it right now and I think he'll be better for it.

I disagree on the IQ because I see a guy who is hesitating, not stupid. He's trying to make the right plays to guys who are--systematically--supposed to be there, but they aren't. Or he hits them and they fumble. QB is a quarterback getting rung up for interceptions that are hitting his receivers in the hands and making bigger mistakes trying to get the ball out of trouble himself. You'll see the confidence build and the "IQ" sort itself out when he can get some momentum. Same thing happened in the AHL once the flow became more natural rather than a thought.

It's not at all unusual for youth to compound mistakes/get shook, see the last three games for perfect examples.

I guess it depends on one's definition of "IQ". Like KP mentioned in this thread: the constant pathetic poke checks instead of taking the body are just really poor plays that are low percentage and ultimately put him on the wrong side of the play. It isn't working yet he keeps doing it: seems like someone with a higher IQ would realize it isn't working by now.

That is part of the learning experience but you'd like to see him pick it up faster. That's why I mentioned that this off-season is going to be very important for him. He should take away from this season the fact that being highly skilled isn't enough like it has been for him at other levels and even your Maata-type whipping boys are better players than what he has faced previously. I'm not tossing dirt on him or saying he can't do it: I'm just hoping he really puts the work in.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess it depends on one's definition of "IQ". Like KP mentioned in this thread: the constant pathetic poke checks instead of taking the body are just really poor plays that are low percentage and ultimately put him on the wrong side of the play. It isn't working yet he keeps doing it: seems like someone with a higher IQ would realize it isn't working by now.

That is part of the learning experience but you'd like to see him pick it up faster. That's why I mentioned that this off-season is going to be very important for him. He should take away from this season the fact that being highly skilled isn't enough like it has been for him at other levels and even your Maata-type whipping boys are better players than what he has faced previously. I'm not tossing dirt on him or saying he can't do it: I'm just hoping he really puts the work in.

Your definition of IQ is something that's easily fixable?

It's something that is a bad habit because it's worked so well for him at every level so it will take time.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Your definition of IQ is something that's easily fixable?

It's something that is a bad habit because it's worked so well for him at every level so it will take time.

Well that's the thing: it is an easy fix so fix it unless you are stupid haha.

Not saying he is stupid but you get the point. I'd like the light to go on faster than it has so far. I watched most of his AHL stuff last season so I know how it took time for him to get comfortable but it is going to be hard to get comfortable in the midst of a playoff race in limited minutes. Just need him to soak it all up and crush the offseason.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well that's the thing: it is an easy fix so fix it unless you are stupid haha.

Not saying he is stupid but you get the point. I'd like the light to go on faster than it has so far. I watched most of his AHL stuff last season so I know how it took time for him to get comfortable but it is going to be hard to get comfortable in the midst of a playoff race in limited minutes. Just need him to soak it all up and crush the offseason.

I didn't want to put the words in your mouth but I was gonna say basically that :laugh:

I just think he's been a 'slow learner' at every level so far and it shows, he slow burns and then becomes unstoppable. I get the apprehension all around but that's the major reason I have no fear.

Reactions: BigKing

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Fwiw, though not directed at me, I don't think the pokechecks are an IQ issue necessarily. As mentioned, it worked in junior and the AHL, so it's a bad habit at this point.

His ability to protect the puck and cycle, buying time and feeding linemates are good examples of his "awareness" and thus his IQ.

But yes, I agree if he doesn't learn from it eventually, there is a valid question to his IQ as well as his ceiling. That, to me, was my biggest criticism of Jordan Weal. Very talented, but too dependent on tactics that worked in junior that won't work in the NHL. That, plus his small size and his inability to leverage his size.

Edit: I do think some of this may have been corrected sooner if he didn't get injured in preseason

Reactions: BigKing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad