GDT: 2021-22 season game 56 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @4:00pm 3/4/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure if I am a cohort, but this board is extremely bi-polar, and it's supposed to be, it's a fan board, that's what fans do, when the team loses, they cry, whine, bitch, bemoan, and when the team wins, it's all sunshine and unicorn farts....

Again, that's the NATURE of fandom, where the issue is....is after a loss, when people proclaim the team sucks, and when others say, actually, no, it wasn't that bad, then the people who proclaim the team sucks, go apeshit and claim others don't know what they are talking about etc....and when the team wins....and everyone is like...omg we are great.....like last night.....that was a win, but that was not a GOOD win, as much as any win can be bad, the continuing teeing up shots for the opposing team is concerning, the lack of finish is concerning, the sloppiness with the puck, is concerning, and as soon as I post this, there will be people going...SEE WE TOLD YOU THEY SUCK....etc...

You don't see the irony in lecturing the board-at-large at this when you're not even 48 hours removed for suggesting no one here has played a sufficiently high enough level of hockey to have an opinion?

I don't get caught up in the hi's or the low's, Kings win....great....Kings lose....ok fine, either way doesn't make my day.....I was more apt to feel the way you guys do way back in 93 in the Finals, but to be fair, that was still 10 years into being a fan, and I was a teenager....

But again as to this board being bi-polar, it's 100% is, and it's 100% understandable and natural....

But god forbid you think Dustin Brown is fine playing where he is, and even though you believe he's not coming back, you can't know what you are talking about if you think that. God forbid you think playing Kaliyev on the 4th line for his first year is fine....God forbid, you think Lizotte should be playing over JAD (to be honest though, JAD is a different player than he was, so I wanna see more of him)

These are called disagreements. Most people have them. The difference is most people CAN have them without slinging shit at other posters, and most of the discussion between most posters is about the roster, the team, the management rather than AT a poster. The 3-5 of you that circlejerk like each others miserable posts are doing the latter and only show up to shittalk posters.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I guess you're just better than the rest of us since win or lose you and your cohorts are consistently miserable at everyone full-time.

Even celebrating a win, here you are going "no, not like that."

The fan police thing is getting extremely old, extremely quickly.

I'm happy you see this too.

The board has taken a really ugly turn the last couple of weeks with multiple posts like, "You aren't a scout, shut up", "How many teams have you coached?" and "what level did you play to comment"

Really makes for an awful discussion.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You don't see the irony in lecturing the board-at-large at this when you're not even 48 hours removed for suggesting no one here has played a sufficiently high enough level of hockey to have an opinion?

I don't get caught up in the hi's or the low's, Kings win....great....Kings lose....ok fine, either way doesn't make my day.....I was more apt to feel the way you guys do way back in 93 in the Finals, but to be fair, that was still 10 years into being a fan, and I was a teenager....

But again as to this board being bi-polar, it's 100% is, and it's 100% understandable and natural....

These are called disagreements. Most people have them. The difference is most people CAN have them without slinging shit at other posters, and most of the discussion between most posters is about the roster, the team, the management rather than AT a poster. The 3-5 of you that circlejerk like each others miserable posts are doing the latter and only show up to shittalk posters.

I never suggested anything about anyone having an opinion.....

I can have an opinion about foreign correspondents between Indonesia and the Netherlands.....wouldn't mean I know what the f*** I was talking about,

Same thing here, people can have opinion on everything, hell, someone had an opinion that Arvidsson was not an NHL player......so what's the response to that, ok thank you for opinion and move on? Sorry, that's not me, it's a shit opinion, it was then, it is now.

Having an opinion is good, having an informed opinion is better, if you've NEVER played the game, your opinion on the skating style of player ABC won't mean as much as say, the opinion of Laura Stamm....if you've NEVER played the game, your opinion on line construction won't mean as much as Mike Milbury....etc, nothing wrong with having an opinion....not at all....but don't get all goddamn sore in the ass when people point out the flaws of that opinion....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm happy you see this too.

The board has taken a really ugly turn the last couple of weeks with multiple posts like, "You aren't a scout, shut up", "How many teams have you coached?" and "what level did you play to comment"

Really makes for an awful discussion.

I probably don't try hard enough to not say shit like that, but when you get an asinine opinion that Arvidsson is not an NHL player, what other options are there? See the post I just made, it's not about you aren't a scout shut up, it's you aren't a scout, so you see it through the lens of a fan, look at this way,

The whole Byfield argument, they were/are looking at his processes, not results, making the good decisions, being responsible etc, while some fans are focusing on production and blaming linemates and usage, and ice time etc, that's showing a different way to look at it, and it has nothing to do with being a scout, or coaching, or level of play..

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I probably don't try hard enough to not say shit like that, but when you get an asinine opinion that Arvidsson is not an NHL player, what other options are there? See the post I just made, it's not about you aren't a scout shut up, it's you aren't a scout, so you see it through the lens of a fan, look at this way,

The whole Byfield argument, they were/are looking at his processes, not results, making the good decisions, being responsible etc, while some fans are focusing on production and blaming linemates and usage, and ice time etc, that's showing a different way to look at it, and it has nothing to do with being a scout, or coaching, or level of play..

You place way to much value on being a scout. I know people who have scouted, it's not some kind of next level rocket science stuff a lot of the jobs are handed out without a ton of merit.because it's not a desirable job for much of the climb up. I got to know couple of scouts when I was bartending in college who asked me if I would be interested in an entry level gig, the pay sucks and the travel sucks so most people don't want to do it. Hell there is a former poster on this site who has climbed the scouting ladder from WI high-school hockey to the NAHL all the way to the NHL, this same poster was adamant that Steve Bernier was the most underrated player in the 2003 NHL draft. Not saying the guy isn't a hard worker or is a moron, but it's not some next level thinking stuff that you make it out to be. I could tell you who the 10 best NHL prospects are in the Big Ten and I bet it would match up similarly to what "pro scouts" think.

As far as Byfield, you are acting like the Kings did the usual development path with him and that anyone who suggests otherwise is a moron who doesn't get it or is Monday-Morning QB'ing . I am simply bringing up the FACT that the Kings took an unusual development path with both him and Turcotte and as of now the early results for both guys have not exactly been stellar compared to some of their peers. I have tried to have discussions with you on numerous occasions as to why the Kings went that path and your response is always just "They are the pros, don't question them"

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You place way to much value on being a scout. I know people who have scouted, it's not some kind of next level rocket science stuff. I met a couple of scouts when I was working in college who asked me if I would be interested in an entry level gig, the pay sucks and the travel sucks so most people don't want to do it. Hell there is a former poster on this site who has climbed the scouting ladder from WI high-school hockey to the NAHL all the way to the NHL, this same poster was adamant that Steve Bernier was the most underrated player in the 2003 NHL draft. Not saying the guy isn't a hard worker or is a moron, but it's not some next level thinking stuff that you make it out to be.

As far as Byfield, you are acting like the Kings did the usual development path with him and that anyone who suggests otherwise is a moron who doesn't get it or is Monday-Morning QB'ing . I am simply bringing up the FACT that the Kings took an unusual development path with both him and Turcotte and as of now the early results for both guys have not exactly been stellar compared to some of their peers. I have tried to have discussions with you on numerous occasions as to why the Kings went that path and your response is always just "They are the pros, don't question them"

Just because you knew a bad scout lol, but when you are scouting, you are looking at process, not results, while results matter, if the processes aren't there, the results will NEVER be there.

As far as Byfield, going into the draft, everyone said, he might be better than Stultze, but Stultze was more NHL ready, that Byfield would take some time...not just LA, but that was pretty much the consensus, so I'm not surprised with the route they took with him, it's not unusual if you knew what was coming. Turcotte is/was a bit stranger, I think he came out of college a year too early etc, but again, you said it yourself, the early results....have not been stellar, and I am telling you they aren't focused on ANY results......they are focused on his process, is he making the right decision, at the right time, if they didn't trust his process, his decision making, there's no way he's out there with 2 minutes left in a tie game.

I'm not saying don't question them, I'm saying you are questioning them based on stuff they have never done, nor were prepared to do with Byfield,

That's like going to ask the potato farmer, why his crop of corn isn't ready....

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Just because you knew a bad scout lol, but when you are scouting, you are looking at process, not results, while results matter, if the processes aren't there, the results will NEVER be there.

As far as Byfield, going into the draft, everyone said, he might be better than Stultze, but Stultze was more NHL ready, that Byfield would take some time...not just LA, but that was pretty much the consensus, so I'm not surprised with the route they took with him, it's not unusual if you knew what was coming. Turcotte is/was a bit stranger, I think he came out of college a year too early etc, but again, you said it yourself, the early results....have not been stellar, and I am telling you they aren't focused on ANY results......they are focused on his process, is he making the right decision, at the right time, if they didn't trust his process, his decision making, there's no way he's out there with 2 minutes left in a tie game.

I'm not saying don't question them, I'm saying you are questioning them based on stuff they have never done, nor were prepared to do with Byfield,

That's like going to ask the potato farmer, why his crop of corn isn't ready....

He's not a bad scout, he has been an NHL scout for a long-time and before that he was a member of HFBoards. You just underestimate how much of being a scout, even at the NHL level is circumstance and willingness to climb a ladder that most people just don't want to do. You act like it's a lucrative and desirable life and people are all there based on merit and not who they know. In a ways it's a lot like the coaching ladder in football.

No one was saying Byfield was going to be ready to dominate right away, not every top pick is, but most top picks play in the NHL because it prepares them to be productive quicker so in their D+2 they are more ready to contribute. The process? What did Byfield and Turcotte get out of spending last year playing in practice facilities in the AHL? Byfield looks lost playing center in the NHL, Turcotte has been moved to wing and still hasn't found a consistent offensive game. What process are you talking about?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hey can someone fill me on the 'clock issue' pls - its a hole in my Kings pop culture

Many years ago, the Kings beat the Blue Jackets with seconds to go.

On the air, the tine clock "stopped" while play was going. So, there was a question of the legitimacy of the win when the clock stopped.

There was an explanation - basically the clock paused to sync in time with the official game clock. But it fed into the narrative of NHL fixing games to get Hollywood in the playoffs.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

On the air, the tine clock "stopped" while play was going. So, there was a question of the legitimacy of the win when the clock stopped.

There was an explanation - basically the clock paused to sync in time with the official game clock. But it fed into the narrative of NHL fixing games to get Hollywood in the playoffs.
Ah interesting - thanks for filling me in.

Reactions: King'sPawn

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

i remember this exactly as you stated here....can confirm.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He's not a bad scout, he has been an NHL scout for a long-time and before that he was a member of HFBoards. You just underestimate how much of being a scout, even at the NHL level is circumstance and willingness to climb a ladder that most people just don't want to do. You act like it's a lucrative and desirable life and people are all there based on merit and not who they know. In a ways it's a lot like the coaching ladder in football.

No one was saying Byfield was going to be ready to dominate right away, not every top pick is, but most top picks play in the NHL because it prepares them to be productive quicker so in their D+2 they are more ready to contribute. The process? What did Byfield and Turcotte get out of spending last year playing in practice facilities in the AHL? Byfield looks lost playing center in the NHL, Turcotte has been moved to wing and still hasn't found a consistent offensive game. What process are you talking about?

No, one has to be a certain type to be a scout, 100% agree with that....it's sure as hell not lucrative, I guess depending on how you value things.

Who said anything about dominating right away, Byfield WAS NOT READY FOR THE NHL....right away, not dominate, not ready at all, and LA has a huge history of rushing picks before they are ready, and ruining them, and yet, you want them to continue to do that, that's baffling.

Process - decision making, positioning, Byfield at times, has looked lost, timid etc, last night was a decent game for him, despite me wanting him to challenge defenders more one on one, he looked more comfortable, but you think Byfield looks lost his year, imagine last year....and multiply it, prospects are all different, Zegras comes in and goes on a tear, then has to go back down, Terry, takes 5 years to get where he is, Hischier, took 4 years etc, Laff looks lost, etc, look at Tampa Bay.....last two cup winners etc, who do you think they RUSHED into playing,

Go back to 2010

Connolly - rushed him, then had to spend 2 years in the AHL
Kucherov - played in the KHL, then tore up the AHL in his 17 games etc..
Palat - same draft....2 years in the AHL
Drouin - rushed him right in, he wasn't near being ready
Point - 5 years in the WHL and a few games in the AHL
Foote - 2-3 years in the AHL

The fact is, there is no ONE way to develop prospects, one way might work for Kucherov because of his talent, and playing against men, and might not with Byfield....

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
@Raccoon Jesus just use the ignore feature, it ain’t worth the stress

I don't think mods can ignore - they have to be able to see posts so they can take action.

Which is a shame. A fun game I can play is reading the arguments between posters and the ones I ignore. Since I only see half of the argument, I get to guess who is causing disruption and what (predictable) stuff they spew.

Reactions: kilowatt

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Or firing our head coach when the team is 11 games over .500 and sitting in 2nd place in the division. GTFO with that bullshit.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not a fan of the win...

kings.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Which was a meme of its own!

Those were some great playoff avatars

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
@Raccoon Jesus just use the ignore feature, it ain’t worth the stress
I don’t ignore people on these boards because I’d like to be knowledgeable of even the worst takes and fans.

And judging by the posts I know that GoldenBearHockey has me ignored here so I can only imagine some of you guys are referring to that insufferable blowhard who uses his minimal experience in hockey as a means to ignore the fact that he sucks at justifying his positions

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don’t ignore people on these boards because I’d like to be knowledgeable of even the worst takes and fans.

And judging by the posts I know that GoldenBearHockey has me ignored here so I can only imagine some of you guys are referring to that insufferable blowhard who uses his minimal experience in hockey as a means to ignore the fact that he sucks at justifying his positions

my ignore list consists of a single user and you just named said user

i dont mind opposing takes, but its not worth my time talking with people who intentionally gaslight, misquote, and outright lie about stuff. life’s better without it. i just want to talk about the kings with reasonable people, whether youre an optimist or pessimist. if im being honest, i think said poster should be banned. here are the first two forum rules for hfb:

1) Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

2) Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

it would make everyone’s lives better imo

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I have never ignored anyone here in 20+ years.

But when you are so universally despised maybe it’s time to look inward and ask if maybe you should change your approach to being a member of this community.

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad