GDT: 2021-22 season game 55 LA Kings vs Dallas Stars @5:30pm 3/2/22

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I've been critical of Brown lately. Have to hand it to him tonight. Didn't see him make 1 bad play. Of course ESPN+ blacked out the game because it was on the local channel & the local channel ran the Sacramento Kings game. Default setting for the world has been switched to stupid.

Kaliyev had some good shots on the recap. Hopefully he can keep those coming. Nice to see Danault continue to be an offensive powerhouse. :naughty:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What really worries me about this team, and it's been really evident these past 2 games, is that they don't know how to react properly to when a team is beating them at their own game. When a team is as aggressive as the Bruins/stars have played we tend to fold. Just need to relax and control the pace and the tempo. Weve been the team that's been doing that since the Olympic break. Have to bounce back with authority next game because in this playoff race you can't give an inch

What worries me is we're in a spot where coaching has to happen...we have to make some adjustments to teams adjusting to us, and to the lines, and continually to the minutes. Unfortunately, we all know TM's weakness...I worry this stretch will be all she wrote.

We did see an adjustment to the PP so maybe it's not too late, but he's got the rep for a reason. Eager to see what happens next.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Our second line is too good to break up but everyone else except Kaliyev and Kempe is in a never ending mega slump. That’s what I’m worried about. We almost have two functioning lines worth of players which is good, but the other two guys are on lines that…are not ideal.

I also hate to say this because it was talked about enough previously, but the Byfield short stick thing…is actually very noticeable when he’s struggling. When he’s struggling he’s not carrying the puck into the zone, so he’s constantly fighting for the puck against the boards while bent over and he isn’t winning the puck. His height should be an advantage against the boards but it isn’t when he’s playing small. Everyone wants him to do well but it isn’t fun watching him play right now.

I dunno, the last two games were super frustrating for different reasons. The Kings did nothing in the third other than Kaliyev’s one timer. Absolutely nothing at all while down a goal. It’s demoralizing.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Okay. Here’s my wish list.

1. Send Byfield down to grow in the AHL. Give him a longer stick while we’re at it. Tell him to lead the team to a Calder Cup.

2. Trade for JT Miller. Something like Athanasiou, Grans, Kupari, and our 1st.

3. Trade for Carson Soucy. Something like Andersson and a 3rd.

4. Call up Vilardi.

5. Roll this lineup in the playoffs:

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Miller - Vilardi
Lemieux - Lizotte - Brown

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Soucy - Durzi

Quick
Petersen

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
How thing changed in a matter of seconds. Kaliev misses the 4th goal by an inch, only to have Kopitar turn it over moments later, and it 3-2, then 3-3, then 4-3. Fox was right, at the 1:30 mark, when he said game management has to start now and get out of the period. Easily the worst 2nd of the year, the game was lost right there. That's on Yanny, period. He did a crap job behind the bench all night.

This is the 2nd period in one shot. "Really Kopi ?!"

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.36.17 AM.png

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Had to watch on tape delay, game had the jittery feeling all night, from everyone. Crazy to say it since Kaliyev scored twice, but that line wasnt clicking tonight, and every time that line is missing, Kings lose, they really do set the tempo. Past few games, Durzi and Bjornfot, have been awful, which is to be expected, both rookies, but they need to make a change there for a game or two, to settle them down

Yeah, aside from Kalievs two goals, the 4th line and Durzi were really bad. Mistakes all over the place, especially the first.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Fair enough, there are a lot of mismatched parts on this roster that don't fit into the right grooves.

Kempe, god love his goals, struggles with so many aspects of the game that his gaudy numbers gloss over. Iafallo has no business on the right side there, he gets no quality looks at all but he keeps a lot of shifts alive.

Byfield needs to play, no point in sending him down barring a total team meltdown. I would give him Iafallo to do the dirty work with an offensive tilt he just won't get with the pair of Grundstrom and Brown. At least the insertion of Grundstrom has allowed that line a chance to cycle, but Iafallo can look for a chance instead of rolling around in the corners.

The biggest concern is the aging out of the core. I can't be the only one noticing the real lack of side to side mobility in Kopitar and Doughty. Straight ahead has been fine, but they have both really struggled when called on to make horizontal movements. That won't be changing at this age and with those minutes.

That's the real problem. They are a good team, good enough to challenge for the playoffs but the kids who need the experience to move into the key shifts aren't getting those reps. Its an uncomfortable situation where the good hockey they have been playing does more harm than good.

This team has to take a step back in ambition and expectations so they can take the necessary steps forward to get past this stage.

Grundstrom is not a solution for third line. His hockey IQ is too low and his hockey skills are too limited.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Just by looking at the shot count tells you something is off with this team -- that's not their identity, right? But not surprised, I felt like that was sloppiest game I've seen the team play in months. Turnover after turnover, fumbling passes -- it's like the BOS game carried over to this one. Ridiculous to try and blame specific players, just about everyone played like crap. (Brown was overly gross, though)

Free TM and let's get back to it on Friday, need to come out strong and get that confidence back. Teams are finally figuring out how to stop our boys.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Just by looking at the shot count tells you something is off with this team -- that's not their identity, right? But not surprised, I felt like that was sloppiest game I've seen the team play in months. Turnover after turnover, fumbling passes -- it's like the BOS game carried over to this one. Ridiculous to try and blame specific players, just about everyone played like crap. (Brown was overly gross, though)

Free TM and let's get back to it on Friday, need to come out strong and get that confidence back. Teams are finally figuring out how to stop our boys.

while partly true, these last two losses were self inflicted. This game was so winnable, and Dallas took advantage of our mistakes. 4 goals in the 2nd, 1 to start it, and 2 to end it were awful and preventable. I'm guessing only TMac can call for 1-3-1 to slow down the entries, especially in the final 2 min?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
while partly true, these last two losses were self inflicted. This game was so winnable, and Dallas took advantage of our mistakes. 4 goals in the 2nd, 1 to start it, and 2 to end it were awful and preventable. I'm guessing only TMac can call for 1-3-1 to slow down the entries, especially in the final 2 min?

I was being sarcastic about TM, but this team definitely looks ‘off’ from what we’ve come accustomed to the last couple months. But you are right, these losses are basically because we’ve been handing the games over.

Very uncharacteristic couple of games…hopefully they reflect hard and get their shit together for Friday or Kings fans are gonna start to sweat.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
I believe Iafallo was the team MVP through the first 25 games, but he's been completely invisible the last 15 games or so. Considering his linemates, minutes, and PP time, he's simply not been good enough. This coaching staff has proven to be extremely hard headed when it comes to mixing up the lines.
Even when they were getting creamed by the Bruins, the lines were mixed up for the last 10 minutes or so in the 2nd period, and then the 3rd period starts and they're all back to their normal lines. Makes no sense.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Just a random thought I was thinking about last night while watching the game -- is it me or does it seem like Byfield gets kicked out of at least 50% of the faceoffs he takes?

Reactions: Schmooley

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just a random thought I was thinking about last night while watching the game -- is it me or does it seem like Byfield gets kicked out of at least 50% of the faceoffs he takes?

HA, i didn't notice it last night in particular, but I've seen it before at every level, there was one WJC game where it was just about every faceoff.

But then you lookat the stats after and he was getting his ass kicked in the dot and you realize why he was really going for the kill each time...and overexuberant when lined up lol

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
I've been critical of Brown lately. Have to hand it to him tonight. Didn't see him make 1 bad play. Of course ESPN+ blacked out the game because it was on the local channel & the local channel ran the Sacramento Kings game. Default setting for the world has been switched to stupid.

Kaliyev had some good shots on the recap. Hopefully he can keep those coming. Nice to see Danault continue to be an offensive powerhouse. :naughty:

You have to go to the 10:00 mark (cannot recall if period 2 or 3..I may go serach for it on recording to watch again) Brown was brutal the entire shift. He was lost and coming back into the
defensive zone, about 5 seconds late...could not tell why, with the closeup view. 1-2 seconds behind makes a difference...rarely see someone lag 5 seconds behind...unless he was taken down
in another zone or going at it, with another player. The entire shift was brutal.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I just can't get over how inept our coaches are. It shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it does. Mind boggling.

The same coaches that had us have us? I didnt even check, in 2nd place in the division in a season where most pundits and fans pegged us to compete for top 5 draft pick?

Just wanna make sure we are talking about those same coaches....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
HA, i didn't notice it last night in particular, but I've seen it before at every level, there was one WJC game where it was just about every faceoff.

But then you lookat the stats after and he was getting his ass kicked in the dot and you realize why he was really going for the kill each time...and overexuberant when lined up lol
I don't mind seeing this out of a young center. When it comes to faceoffs, if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. As Byfield gets more experience (learns how to cheat better) and has more years in the NHL (the linesmen will let him get away with more) I expect him to be a very good faceoff man.

As I said in another thread, he still has a lot of work to do on faceoffs, because you can't win them if you are kicked off the dot.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I hate to use the tired excuse, but that's exactly how they've looked the last two games. 3rd game in 4 nights, and 4th game in 6 nights.

They have a condensed schedule down the stretch don't they? It's a concern.

Doughty really pissed me off this game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't mind seeing this out of a young center. When it comes to faceoffs, if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. As Byfield gets more experience (learns how to cheat better) and has more years in the NHL (the linesmen will let him get away with more) I expect him to be a very good faceoff man.

As I said in another thread, he still has a lot of work to do on faceoffs, because you can't win them if you are kicked off the dot.

If he's not pestering the hell out of Danault to work with them, then he's not doing his job as a pro player,

I don't remember if it was Dallas broadcast or Boston, but they said Danault and Beregeron worked out together a lot in the summers, and Danault picked up a lot of info from him.....between Danault, and if Stoll is helping on faceoffs, kid should pick it up....but for god sake, can we get him a different stick.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I hate to use the tired excuse, but that's exactly how they've looked the last two games. 3rd game in 4 nights, and 4th game in 6 nights.

They have a condensed schedule down the stretch don't they? It's a concern.

Doughty really pissed me off this game.

They didn't look tired in the 1st.....as I said before, they looked, jittery, pucks were bouncing, Durzi was a god awful tire fire that entire first, Lizotte line typically will set the pace, they were backing off, apprehensive, they had the same....jitters vs Boston,

They got tired near the end....but coming out, they were skating, but with no purpose, no direction..

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They got tired near the end....but coming out, they were skating, but with no purpose, no direction..
Yeah I think that's a natural response to getting blown out last game. You come out trying to atone for it. But they couldn't sustain it, they looked tired in each of the last two games.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah I think that's a natural response to getting blown out last game. You come out trying to atone for it. But they couldn't sustain it, they looked tired in each of the last two games.

Fair enough, the tired could be reason for the sloppiness, it just felt....more lack of cohesiveness, than tiredness...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What really worries me about this team, and it's been really evident these past 2 games, is that they don't know how to react properly to when a team is beating them at their own game. When a team is as aggressive as the Bruins/stars have played we tend to fold. Just need to relax and control the pace and the tempo. Weve been the team that's been doing that since the Olympic break. Have to bounce back with authority next game because in this playoff race you can't give an inch

its a coaching issue. Even when the Kings are being out hustled Todd never changes the plan so the team ends up losing momentum and still forcing plays which leads some of the most egregious turnovers you will ever see because players will naturally become more timid and Todd doesn’t call timeouts. He’s never shown at all that he can win against teams that are beating him at his game plan.

that’s why when the Kings lose it’s usually handedly and not really close.

Todd is just a bad coach that has a good team that’s hiding his serious ineptitude at coaching

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad