GDT: 2021-22 season game 55 LA Kings vs Dallas Stars @5:30pm 3/2/22

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You’re the one who used the record to suggest that it’s due to Todd’s amazing coaching that the Kings are doing well. Maybe make better detailed arguments rather than lazy ones since your lack of detail made it seem that way

Oh is that what I said...really? Now you are just being a ****, but you do you.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What's the running theme? Help me out, as you've already pointed out I'm a bit slow. Before these last two losses, 12 games over .500, good enough for 2nd in the division. But we are saying that if we fire TM and bench Brown, we would be in even a better spot?

Oh is that what I said...really? Now you are just being a ****, but you do you.

Just scroll up champ

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I did, Chief....quote me. Show me where I said the Kings record is completely the work of TM.

Wait, I thought Yawney has been behind the bench for the last two losses -- worst games played in prob two months. Players must really like Todd cause they weren't willing to hide Yawney's ineptitude?

Dumb...

interesting how you say the worst losses came under Yawney and imply a bunch that Todd is a good coach because standings. It’s obvious that you have a poster of him above your headboard but now you’re acting coy about it. I’ll state my opinion. Ass coach, terrible adjusting, no chance of comebacks in his long resume, and misuse of players. He’s only got the Kings playing kinda well 5v5 but on the PP. ass. Pk, ass. To the uninformed fan you’d think he’s good because of standings, but when you actually look closely and see all his faults, it becomes easy to logically conclude that the team is what’s getting the wins since he has a lot of negative attributes which ultimately would suggest to me that yes, removing brown, Todd, and Sturm. You will have a better team 90% more likely. Only they won’t if they get another Willie D

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
interesting how you say the worst losses came under Yawney and imply a bunch that Todd is a good coach because standings. It’s obvious that you have a poster of him above your headboard but now you’re acting coy about it. I’ll state my opinion. Ass coach, terrible adjusting, no chance of comebacks in his long resume, and misuse of players. He’s only got the Kings playing kinda well 5v5 but on the PP. ass. Pk, ass. To the uninformed fan you’d think he’s good because of standings, but when you actually look closely and see all his faults, it becomes easy to logically conclude that the team is what’s getting the wins since he has a lot of negative attributes which ultimately would suggest to me that yes, removing brown, Todd, and Sturm. You will have a better team 90% more likely. Only they won’t if they get another Willie D

You got issues, bro. I'm acting coy about it? You are stating that TM sucks, period. I was being sarcastic by saying ...'but Yawney was behind the bench for two of the worst losses'.

I get it, you hate Todd. But then again, I don't get it because the Kings are having one of their best seasons in years....but yah, I get your point, he has NOTHING to do with it. Cool, you must be fun at parties.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm still not smart enough to get your point -- if any of you think that TM is going anywhere while this team holds a playoff spot and especially if they actually make the playoffs, you should be looking in the mirror when you want to question intelligence.

Can't argue with you there. Maybe you'll understand when the Kings get clowned in the 1st round or miss the playoffs altogether.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I thought they played really well the first two games without TMac, so I have no idea what happened with the other two (especially against Boston).

They must have put TM on a Zoom call during the pre-game dress...got all the guys off their game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
TM is conservative to a fault... there is always the tension between what worked in the past and new ideas for what may be better now and in the future - if you are too far in either direction it will be a failure. DS leaned conservative - but had some creativity when he brought up Nolan and King.. Im not sure TM makes that same move. (edit: to be fair, im sure it was a colaboration between DS and DL, but they were always on the same page it seemed)

Well, that would be more like next year maybe, but this year there's no way they make that move, otherwise AA and others would be on the way out and youth on the way up. Remember they jettisoned 'vets' in Hunter and Moreau to make room for the kids. If they aren't doing that NEXT year, then we're in trouble (ie if AA gets another minute with this club).

Most teams that get outplayed, usually lose. It's not just the Kings, FYI.

I don't really disagree but I guess as an example, look how long it took us to tie a game in an empty net situation, literally from December 2019 until January 2022.

There are teams that are on the ropes but most of them battle back...the Kings earlier this year would blow leads routinely AND had no way back when down. They appeared to have fixed all that, and the last two nights are the aberration now, but even if I disagree with it at this point, I can understand the 'no fight' criticism.

I thought they played really well the first two games without TMac, so I have no idea what happened with the other two (especially against Boston).

I would actually imagine that the lack of a head coach starts to become an issue a few games in, ie last two games.

I mean you have to be able to trust the assistants to bench manage and stuff but I'm not surprised some detail has been slipping with no head coach on the bench and a condensed schedule.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Well, that would be more like next year maybe, but this year there's no way they make that move, otherwise AA and others would be on the way out and youth on the way up. Remember they jettisoned 'vets' in Hunter and Moreau to make room for the kids. If they aren't doing that NEXT year, then we're in trouble (ie if AA gets another minute with this club).
I wasnt suggesting they do that this year. I was giving an example of a coach that adjusted / thought outside the box and brought up two rookies mid-season that injected some energy and grit into the team - changing the dynamics to fit DS vision of the heavy style. Thats the kind of thing I dont think TM would do.. What DS did was fairly radical at the time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Made up some categories to evaluate TM - looks like some of my report cards
5x5 System: A
Team game to game consistency: A-
5x5 Line Combos: B-
PP Personnel: C
PP system: D
PK in general: D
In game adjustments: D
Game to game adjustments: C
Player development: D

Ok.....

PP system I disagree with your assessment, the system itself...is fine, execution isn't there, but that's not on the system, thats on the players, so while I disagree there, your PP Personnel I would probably rate lower,

And Player development, I'd give higher, and here is where I see a problem, how can you rate game to game adjustments C, when by your vary nature of giving them game to game consistency is an A-, if they are that consistent, they don't really need game to game adjustments etc....probably rate that one as an incomplete.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I wasnt suggesting they do that this year. I was giving an example of a coach that adjusted / thought outside the box and brought up two rookies mid-season that injected some energy and grit into the team - changing the dynamics to fit DS vision of the heavy style. Thats the kind of thing I dont think TM would do.. What DS did was fairly radical at the time.
Not to mention a boat load of losses...they lost 5 out of their next 6.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Ok.....

PP system I disagree with your assessment, the system itself...is fine, execution isn't there, but that's not on the system, thats on the players, so while I disagree there, your PP Personnel I would probably rate lower,

And Player development, I'd give higher, and here is where I see a problem, how can you rate game to game adjustments C, when by your vary nature of giving them game to game consistency is an A-, if they are that consistent, they don't really need game to game adjustments etc....probably rate that one as an incomplete.
Re the PP system - its hard to tell if its any good since the personnel doesnt seem able to execute anything.. so maybe its fine. What i meant by consistency, is he has them ready to play every game...consistent in terms of effort. I think that may be more due to certain players that have set the tone the vets could not (like lizotte, moore, danault etc) - but results are result. When it comes to game to game adjustments - the PP really stands out as a dismal failure - and without any changes to personnel.. we dont know what they are doing in practice to address its ineptitude.. but there are some obvious things i believe a lot of coaches would try in terms of personnel - to me Kaliyev could easily been a weapon you could at least try on PP1. Another piece of evidence is the 3rd line languishing most of the year... im sure other teams have similar issues - but I dont think enough has been tried to improve those things.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Not to mention a boat load of losses...they lost 5 out of their next 6.
I dont remember that - but I do remember that DK scored some key goals that year and Nolan was brutally physical helping them to the cup. I think the consensus was it was one of the reasons the snowball that turned into a boulder.. The team gelled for a lot of reasons - one especially was JQ willing wins when no one could score.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I dont remember that - but I do remember that DK scored some key goals that year and Nolan was brutally physical helping them to the cup. I think the consensus was it was one of the reasons the snowball that turned into a boulder.. The team gelled for a lot of reasons - one especially was JQ willing wins when no one could score.
Most people don't remember that, the only change that really turned it around that year was the greatest swindle in NHL history: JMFJ for Carter.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Most people don't remember that, the only change that really turned it around that year was the greatest swindle in NHL history: JMFJ for Carter.
Yes I advocated for putting Columbus on the cup - we have to thank them also for MG. Honestly it was a lot of things coming together - Carter was huge of course - reunited with his fellow dry island refugee

Reactions: HookKing

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Todd is just a bad coach that has a good team that’s hiding his serious ineptitude at coaching
That isn’t the case as you well know. Given the team has improved over the season, that take just doesn’t hold water. A poor coach can hold a team at a given level for a limited period but it’s never sustainable.

Given the improvement and the increased level of buy in from the player as, we have moved through this season I would say he’s a decent coach for where we are now. That doesn’t mean that I don’t think there are valid criticisms, in particular with his tactical inflexibility and his usage of certain players.

I also have doubts over his ability to move us into the bracket of being serious contenders, because of those criticisms. However, given the progress we are making I’m fine with him being the coach up until the end of next season (unless the wheels fall off). Then a decision will need to be made, if they think the team is ready to take the next step. Do they back him or bring in a new coach to take us over the top? That decision and it’s result will be how we ultimately define Blakes tenure as GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad