GDT: 2021-22 season game 53 LA Kings vs New York Islanders @7:30pm 2/26/22

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
We actually have scoring this year. Mind Blown. Forgot how good it is to have a team that can score some goals. Better then we've ever been the past thousand years it seems. Still have some ways to go but with the emergence of Kempe it feels good this team can pot a few more goals.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
didn't catch this one but saw the highlights, those were some incredible goals that i wouldn't believe were done by kings previous to this season

that activation by roy was so f***ing aggressive, never seen anything like that from this team. what more can be said about the moore/danault chemistry either.. danault is always in the right place at the right time

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
We actually have scoring this year. Mind Blown. Forgot how good it is to have a team that can score some goals. Better then we've ever been the past thousand years it seems. Still have some ways to go but with the emergence of Kempe it feels good this team can pot a few more goals.
Kempe is nails.. also getting scoring from each guy on the 2nd line. 4th line plays good hockey every night, always pitches in. QB has done a few things now he has Grundstrom, i expect he'll put a few in, maybe not light the place on fire yet, but another source of offense in a mostly energy line - which is what we need the 3rd line to be.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Interesting (and concerning) stat from tonight: LA was 3/14 on defensive zone faceoffs at 5 on 5 tonight. Kopi went 0/5, Lizotte went 1/4, Danault went 2/4. Woops!

One trend I've been noticing though is that Byfield is taking almost exclusively offensive zone faceoffs. Of the 16 offensive zone faceoffs at even strength tonight, Byfield took 8 of the draws and won 5.

Faceoff Summary

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
It’s great that Maatta has been better next to Roy, but for all the screaming about AA being re-signed last year, Blake better f***ing not re-sign Maatta unless he wants jerseys tossed on the ice next year. :laugh:

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Interesting (and concerning) stat from tonight: LA was 3/14 on defensive zone faceoffs at 5 on 5 tonight. Kopi went 0/5, Lizotte went 1/4, Danault went 2/4. Woops!

One trend I've been noticing though is that Byfield is taking almost exclusively offensive zone faceoffs. Of the 16 offensive zone faceoffs at even strength tonight, Byfield took 8 of the draws and won 5.

Faceoff Summary

The Islanders have some of the best faceoff centers in the league. Nelson and Pageau are regularly tops at it. I’m not worried about it, faceoffs are usually proven out to be less important for possession/control over the entire course of a game than we used to believe they were anyways.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Faceoff Summary
Which is good and I’m sure you agree. That’s the sort of sheltered scenarios he needs right now to help him build his confidence as he learns the NHL game. QB is going to take a few more games to figure the NHL out properly and then he will take off. Having Grundy there helps as there seems to be a bit of chemistry there.

Edit: I hate that I called him Grundy, I’m not his mate… but I was in a rush.

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Yup, it’s basically in the rafters. They probably had an easier time calling games from a monitor the last few years.

He's constantly mixed up players ever since he became the play-by-play guy, regardless of whether he's calling the game from the arena or a monitor in studio. He is incapable of distinguishing between players based on handedness, which is why trying to hand-wave away his confusing Durzi (shoots right) with Byfield (shoots left) feels pretty weak.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
It’s great that Maatta has been better next to Roy, but for all the screaming about AA being re-signed last year, Blake better f***ing not re-sign Maatta unless he wants jerseys tossed on the ice next year. :laugh:
It’s not like we have a ton of LHD prospects. I bet one of Edler or Maatta come back as the 7th-8th D

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Great result, great performance, great backhand save from Cal an great to see QB get another.

Let’s have no more of the nonsense that QB can only score of the rush, quite clearly he can score goals in all sorts of ways. Genius :naughty:

Cal was nails, especially earlier on when he had to be focused. After one of the periods the Kings had quadruple the literal time in zone the isles did, it can't be easy to do nothing then have to flop onto your back to make a sprawling save. HE's getting it done even if the raw #s aren't there lately.

Reactions: Statto

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I thought Byfield did some good things again this game. Back to back decent outings from him. This is super encouraging. He's actually quite good as stealing the puck. Danault is as well.

It's starting to get to the point where this team is expecting to win.

Kempe was dangerous. Could've easily had a couple goals. That PP zone entry that he took to the net was McDavid-like. He's becoming a star right before our very eyes.

I've always felt the reason Maatta sucks is because he doesn't care. He's not invested. Just going through the motions and collecting his paycheck. But with momentum and feel-good vibes around the team right now, even he's getting wrapped up in it and starting to care.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How awesome is this year so far, now we are not as surprised when they win and the surprisingly part is how much they dominate at times

What's really impressed me and I didn't expect (the domination) was that they've learned to turn just raw, dominant possession into a killer instinct. Early on, I fully expected a team who could 2015-Kings their way to even shots or even a slight lead in shots but I didn't expect them to just flat out crush some great opponents on both the shot clock AND the scoreboard. It's a phenomenal transformation to see, not just 'playing the right way' but believing it will result in wins. Definitely have not seen this kind of confidence/team-wide swagger since the end of 2012, including guys sticking up for one another. Shit even Byfield had a guy in a headlock last night.

I mean we were as much as 20-30 games in going 'ok what's the identity' but it's really on show right now, just an incredibly aggressive team who can play with pace and isn't scared to play on the rush. While that can burn them against the absolute best teams--see Car, TBL--it keeps all the others in line and honest.

Reactions: kinghock

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
We must give Anaheim the feeling there’s nothing to get.

They already play above their level and perhaps LA as well. Win that one game and the difference is 8 points.

Mentally its than very though to go for it with a 8 points differential. Not only should they win, but LA and others should lose as well. I cant believe both the Oilers and The Knights wont make it either.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He's constantly mixed up players ever since he became the play-by-play guy, regardless of whether he's calling the game from the arena or a monitor in studio. He is incapable of distinguishing between players based on handedness, which is why trying to hand-wave away his confusing Durzi (shoots right) with Byfield (shoots left) feels pretty weak.
No announcer for his/her own team should even need the names or numbers to differentiate the players. Everybody misspeaks at times, but you should be able to identify your own players easily just by their skating even from the rafters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad