GDT: 2021-22 season game 52 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:00pm 2/25/22

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
This x 118,304
@All The Kings Men could you please pass this on to management and please make sure that Fat Elvis gets the credit

As well as have them sit Brownie on back to backs. If we are dead set in using him then give him some rest in between like Khawai Leonard and the Raptors on there way to their Championship a few years ago

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think the 2012 Kings disagree. Timing of a team getting hot matters. Obviously the Blues would be in that camp as well.

I think being hot as the playoffs start trumps all.

I know this is not exactly what you mean, but the getting hot thought process is a complete over-simplification of the 2012 Kings. What that was is a case study in finally getting the right puzzle pieces for the right system to work. The Blues haven't been close since winning their Cup. The Kings went 10 and 1 in playoff series over the next three seasons. That is a great team. Not just one that got hot.

Anyway I'm not targeting your viewpoints in particular. I just have seen similar comments from time to time here about what ifs and it completely dismisses the base idea that the Kings were actually a great team.

But yes I do agree with you that getting hot matters. But being good and getting hot is sustainability. Otherwise you will end up being the Montreal Canadiens from last season and this season.

Reactions: GameNight

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
yawney confirmed in his post game presser Grunny checking into the lineup was predetermined w TMac.
Yeah there's no way an assistant coach is making lineup decisions without heavy input from the head coach. In game, sure that's where Yawney gets to make decisions.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Isn’t Kempe the poster child for the Kings front office policy of holding on to, being patient with and fully developing out our first round prospects? Can’t wait for Vilardi to come in next year on Byfield’s right wing, scoring PPG, in place of a retired Brown and also Grundstrom in place of a don’t-care-where-he-goes Athanasieou.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Isn’t Kempe the poster child for the Kings front office policy of holding on to, being patient with and fully developing out our first round prospects? Can’t wait for Vilardi to come in next year on Byfield’s right wing, scoring PPG, in place of a retired Brown and also Grundstrom in place of a don’t-care-where-he-goes Athanasieou.

Yup, took Kempe FIVE full seasons before showing what he could really do. Yet, we’re expecting Byfield, Turcotte and Vilardi to have it all figured out in less than half a season. Yikes….

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Do you guys expect blake to make a "significant" move by deadline? I feel like the kings should prob comfortably make the playoffs, and might be a really good chance to potentially have 1 more shot with the brown/doughty/kopitar/quick core at playoff success.

I know they come up in a lot of rumors for Vancouver players/chychrun/eichel etc. What would you say your needs are? Kings have been aggressive bringing in denault + Arvidsson this year already.

Who would be your ideal targets? And who do you potentially see being used as trade bait... i got to imagine 1 of vilardi/turcotte would be strongly considered for a player with term

Reactions: Rorschach

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Do you guys expect blake to make a "significant" move by deadline? I feel like the kings should prob comfortably make the playoffs, and might be a really good chance to potentially have 1 more shot with the brown/doughty/kopitar/quick core at playoff success.

I know they come up in a lot of rumors for Vancouver players/chychrun/eichel etc. What would you say your needs are? Kings have been aggressive bringing in denault + Arvidsson this year already.

Who would be your ideal targets? And who do you potentially see being used as trade bait... i got to imagine 1 of vilardi/turcotte would be strongly considered for a player with term
I still say LHD.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

The targets would be a depth LHD or a depth goal scoring winger which has been exactly what we've been linked to in the media. Chychrun is a legit option, but I just don't see them paying their high price. Maybe in the offseason, but not at the deadline. I think 1 option that should be considered is trading away Athansiou and promoting either Vilardi or Anderson-Dolan from Ontario.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sometimes I look at this team and I'm like yeah, 2010 Kings. Will take off and get 100 points and get wiped in the playoffs but learn valuable lessons.

Then I look at some of the VERY correctable issues and I'm like, are these guys 2012-ing?

The strength of schedule/home games certainly 'favor' them but it almost seems like they need against-all-odds to show. The special teams are junk. The goalies fell off after being hot, so we started winning games differently. They sucked against the west, and at home. A lot of those things are sloooowly trending in the right direction....at exactly the right time. Can you imagine if the special teams catch fire in March, or if a Grundstrom-Byfield-Brown line really starts firing, or if some 'little' trade (Boeser?) or BIG trade (JT Miller?) happens to really throw things up?

Not advocating for said trades at all--I guess I"m just saying this team started the year needing a FULL systems rehab/makeover, like a new engine and exhaust, but have since moved to a team needing only minor adjustments...to a spot where we may only need a small tweak to push it this year and reallly come out as a Ferrari next year.
For sure when feel you don't need to add much to the roster, you know you're good.

Suddenly the Kings are starting to look deep. Blake added two top 6 forwards in the offseason. Kempe became a 1st line winger. Lizotte and Lemieux became top notch 4th liners. Grundstrom/Moore/Iaffalo are ideal middle sixers. If Byfield finds his game, you really only have 1 weak forward spot (3rd line RW).

Similar situation on D. Doughty is Doughty. Roy has become an absolute rock. Durzi has come in and become a more than adequate NHLer with lots upside. Bjornfot and Anderson are hitting their stride. This group is a Maatta away from being very solid.

I guess the big concern would be Kopitar and Quick because of their age. Quick has had injury issues and Kopitar could fade down the stretch.

Blake can essentially have whatever player he wants on the trade market. He has the ammo. If you add say Gio and Miller to this roster, and Byfield is contributing, and Quick is playing well, are you a contender? As crazy as it sounds, the answer might be yes.

Or perhaps we're just being overly optimistic fans because of the teams recent success? If the Kings lose to NYI tonight everyone will be back at each other's throats around here.

As for next season, I'm not sure we're going to be better. This team is heavily dependent on vets who will all be a year older. Kempe won't repeat this season's production, and most of our prospects probably won't be that impactful yet. This season could be somewhat of an aberration. Progress isn't always linear of course.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The targets would be a depth LHD or a depth goal scoring winger which has been exactly what we've been linked to in the media. Chychrun is a legit option, but I just don't see them paying their high price. Maybe in the offseason, but not at the deadline. I think 1 option that should be considered is trading away Athansiou and promoting either Vilardi or Anderson-Dolan from Ontario.
Im very curious to see how much Chychrun ends up costing... his stats this year have been kinda down... but hes got huge potential.... Having Chychrun + Clarke as your big dmen for the future would be pretty nice with all those options you have to surround them

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
A few weeks back, TMac mentioned Andersson was getting close to returning. I know he’s been lousy this season, but last season he started to show some promise. Wonder when/if Andersson is ready, they move on from AA? Just a thought. I know most of us would prefer JAD or GV, but it’s another option they should consider

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I’m looking at Arvidsson-sized deals, we keep our first, and actually I’m not looking for scoring winger or LHD unless it’s a perfect deal and under-priced/free like Arvidsson/Danault.

What I’m looking for is a top goaltending prospect ready for the NHL in a couple seasons. Maybe sign Forsberg as UFA for the right price (highly unlikely but…).

I think we have defensemen and scoring wingers coming and we have guys on the NHL club developing. I agree with a lot of the guys here…we will improve simply by subtracting too-old guys.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yup, took Kempe FIVE full seasons before showing what he could really do. Yet, we’re expecting Byfield, Turcotte and Vilardi to have it all figured out in less than half a season. Yikes….

Kempe was the 29OA pick that, if I remember correctly, wasn't even projected to have a ceiling as high as the season he is currently having. The three you mentioned are two, Top 5 picks and Vilardi was the 4th ranked NA skater by Central Scouting heading in to his draft.

It isn't necessarily "have it all figured out" but it also isn't "half a season". There are legit concerns at this point regarding the development so far of all three. Probably less concern about Byfield's actual path to this point due to COVID but he's the most important one to this whole rebuild which is why his line mate situation is such a sticking point for many.

Reactions: kinghock

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

Deadline deal I can only see being the same as an off-season deal, mid-young 20s LHD or scoring winger that can help the team long term. Otherwise rental type only if it’s crazy cheap. And also the hurt for a goalie prospect that could help the pipeline.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Deadline deal I can only see being the same as an off-season deal, mid-young 20s LHD or scoring winger that can help the team long term. Otherwise rental type only if it’s crazy cheap. And also the hurt for a goalie prospect that could help the pipeline.
judging by responses I assume goalie is orgs weak spot? No potential starters there?

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

At this point it's looking like bargain shopping, P. Zacha type. To get something that would move the needle enough to put the Kings in the "contender" conversation would be too expensive. Like NYI deciding to leave Barzal in LA for some reason.

Kings are just going to need a year or 2 more to sort things out.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

We need a winger that can score

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Kempe was the 29OA pick that, if I remember correctly, wasn't even projected to have a ceiling as high as the season he is currently having. The three you mentioned are two, Top 5 picks and Vilardi was the 4th ranked NA skater by Central Scouting heading in to his draft.

It isn't necessarily "have it all figured out" but it also isn't "half a season". There are legit concerns at this point regarding the development so far of all three. Probably less concern about Byfield's actual path to this point due to COVID but he's the most important one to this whole rebuild which is why his line mate situation is such a sticking point for many.

There are no legit concerns unless you are referring to the opinions of impatient fans.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Blake already made his “significant” moves months ago. Now it’s just a matter of fiddling around the edges. I would look for a big lefty D , second or third pairing or a veteran leader and winger. Pat Maroon type. I don’t think the first round pick is available.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I know this is not exactly what you mean, but the getting hot thought process is a complete over-simplification of the 2012 Kings. What that was is a case study in finally getting the right puzzle pieces for the right system to work. The Blues haven't been close since winning their Cup. The Kings went 10 and 1 in playoff series over the next three seasons. That is a great team. Not just one that got hot.

Anyway I'm not targeting your viewpoints in particular. I just have seen similar comments from time to time here about what ifs and it completely dismisses the base idea that the Kings were actually a great team.

But yes I do agree with you that getting hot matters. But being good and getting hot is sustainability. Otherwise you will end up being the Montreal Canadiens from last season and this season.

If we're going to get nit-picky, and over-simplify things, it's not easy calling that Kings team great. They may have gone 10-1, but how many Game 7's did they have to play in 2013 and 2014? How many times were they one shot away, be it Game 7 and/or OT, from not getting that 2nd one? How does a great team go down 0-3 in a series?

They were battled hardened and came through in the biggest moments, but a great team isn't in the positions they were in as often as they were. TB got swept before winning. The Kings were down 0-3 after a Cup and a conference final run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad