GDT: 2021-22 season game 48 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 2/15/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I had it at 28 vs 20....

I also didn't have the Kings going 82-0 like some people....so there is that.....no, it's not alarming, because again I don't have idiotic expectations of the team winning anything right now.....the fact that they are competitive is a major step up.....even if they squeak in, go 4-0, it gives the kids, and there's a shit ton of kids on the team, valuable experience of what it takes to win...at this level.

goal-post-moving.gif

Jesus f***ing Christ, man. Do you ever wonder why people give up talking to you? f*** off with this. I gave you a reasonable response, now I'm done.

Reactions: kinghock

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
goal-post-moving.gif

Jesus f***ing Christ, man. Do you ever wonder why people give up talking to you? f*** off with this. I gave you a reasonable response, now I'm done.

The whole playbook revolves around arguing points nobody has made. And it's not just him.

The Kings are leaning on vets, expecting to make the playoffs, and are facing a possibility of missing the playoffs. Last night's game was pivotal, and the team flopped. Against a team that played 5 games in 8 days.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The Kings are leaning on vets, expecting to make the playoffs, and are facing a possibility of missing the playoffs. Last night's game was pivotal, and the team flopped. Against a team that played 5 games in 8 days.
Thats the thing that doesnt make sense. Some are so psyched that they are a bubble playoff team but its really not that impressive. Older vets in Kopitar and Doughty are still playing all the minutes while Danault Arvidsson and Roy are pulling their weight and even some of Kopitars.
They should actually be better than they are and start separating themselves and secure a playoff spot with that kind of salary on the books and those players taking the reigns.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Thats the thing that doesnt make sense. Some are so psyched that they are a bubble playoff team but its really not that impressive.

I'm just enjoying having interest in the season at the 48-game mark because I'm used to not caring by the end of December.

This team wasn't even expected to make the playoffs and at this point they are playing above expectations...I guess we aren't supposed to be happy about that because they are doing it without any of the 'kids' playing on the top two lines. I guess I just don't take it that personally, thank f***ing god.

I feel sorry for those of you who can't find enjoyment out of this season after the last 5 years.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Did the team 'flop'? It was a 2-2 game with 5 minutes left...isn't it safe to say the game could have went either way? Wasn't it expected the Kings to play rusty as they were off for 13 days? Which one is it?

A slow start is understandable. The Kings needed to get their legs under them. It's why a strong start and ending the first with a 1-0 lead was very promising.

By the end of the game, they were outbattled and lost focus, which are typical signs of a fatigued team.

So, sure. It's safe to say that it COULD have gone either way. However, given the circumstances, the Kings had a major advantage as the game went on.

The inability to close it out versus a 2-man team playing 5 in 8 is concerning. That would have been an understandable collapse for Edmonton.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are you still going to be pissed off if the Kings beat VGK on Friday?

I'm just enjoying having interest in the season at the 48-game mark because I'm used to not caring by the end of December.

This team wasn't even expected to make the playoffs and at this point they are playing above expectations...I guess we aren't supposed to be happy about that because they are doing it without any of the 'kids' playing on the top two lines. I guess I just don't take it that personally, thank f***ing god.

I feel sorry for those of you who can't find enjoyment out of this season after the last 5 years.

But again, you're making a million assumptions that it's binary thinking. I'm enjoying that we are in the heat of the race for the first time in a while. Doesn't mean I don't have legitimate criticisms, and my legitimate criticisms don't mean I hate this team. This 'you're with us or you're against us' garbage that you keep peddling is some troglodyte shit.

I don't assume that you're just some braindead homer who can't see fault; should I start making that assumption? Or is it possible that your views are more nuanced? That you like this team like I do, you're just less critical of certain things?

And no I'm not telling you at all how to enjoy this team or how to watch hockey. Only one of us is presuming to tell others how they should be fans...hint--scroll back to your last few posts. Frankly right now you could be Dennis Bernstein.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Did the team 'flop'? It was a 2-2 game with 5 minutes left...isn't it safe to say the game could have went either way? Wasn't it expected the Kings to play rusty as they were off for 13 days? Which one is it?

You want to hang your hat on "could have gone either way"?

It didn't. It went one way. And it went that way for the same reasons it has been when it goes that way.

Why do you have a problem with those who are interested in discussing those reasons?

Reactions: ru4reals and Herby

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think it’s ok to be happy with the improved team, I felt that way at the end of the 17/18 season. The dead cat bounce feeling after the playoffs is where I became skeptical and the collapse next season opened my eyes.

It’s a theory to claim making the playoffs would give the prospects great experience and lead to growth. But it’s also a theory to say the vets regress next year and the kids still aren’t ready after playing some playoff hockey. Any of those scenarios could happen and it’s most likely something in the middle. Maybe another low seeded berth and a quick exit. Or who knows, maybe Quick goes on a heater and they make a deep run as a underdog this year or next.

I think the people feeling frustrated despite the improvement in the standings aren’t seeing enough signs that the overall trend is upwards because the pieces are being put into place to peak together at the right time.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Nope, like I said.....you seem to think only games vs Western conference teams count....weird...but ok.

Your alarming trend is that out of our 48 games played, the majority of them have been against the East.....that's literally what this boils down to
Kings have had major issues playing teams in their division dating back several seasons now and the trend continues this season.

Had the Kings even played .500 hockey against the Sharks and ducks last season they could've made the playoffs.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Kings have had major issues playing teams in their division dating back several seasons now and the trend continues this season.

Had the Kings even played .500 hockey against the Sharks and ducks last season they could've made the playoffs.

Had the Kings even played .750 vs the East last year, they could've made the playoffs.....

Is divisional play an issue....sure, it is for most bottom half teams, is it "an Alarming trend" where the f***ing sky is crashing down among us, no....no it's not. But when I asked him what alarming trends, this is where he hung his hat.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Had the Kings even played .750 vs the East last year, they could've made the playoffs.....

Is divisional play an issue....sure, it is for most bottom half teams, is it "an Alarming trend" where the f***ing sky is crashing down among us, no....no it's not. But when I asked him what alarming trends, this is where he hung his hat.
Divisional games are the most important for numerous reasons. I'm 100% certain you realize this and I don't need to explain them to you.

It's a big problem. Is it capable of being turned around? Yes. Still a huge problem for a team trying to make the playoffs.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Divisional games are the most important for numerous reasons. I'm 100% certain you realize this and I don't need to explain them to you.

It's a big problem. Is it capable of being turned around? Yes. Still a huge problem for a team trying to make the playoffs.

Of course they are, and no, it's not a big problem yet....If Byfield is 25-26, Turcotte 25-26, Kaliyev, Clarke, Fagemo, Faber etc, and that is the trend, sure.....

But for a team that 90% of the board believes they will never win with Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Quick etc, everyone sure is bitching a lot about one loss in the past 8 games.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Of course they are, and no, it's not a big problem yet....If Byfield is 25-26, Turcotte 25-26, Kaliyev, Clarke, Fagemo, Faber etc, and that is the trend, sure.....

But for a team that 90% of the board believes they will never win with Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Quick etc, everyone sure is bitching a lot about one loss in the past 8 games.
Why the surprise? The reality is a team is only as good as their last game and that was an especially frustrating game to watch.

The coaching, powerplay, asset management are ALL reasonable concerns. Is the sky falling? Maybe not but these are all issues that need to be addressed of this team wants to compete again.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

I would argue that the Oilers are not the keyword here.
When it's 2-2 in the 3rd period, we never score the 3-2, we either cruise to overtime or lose directly.
Killer instinct is not existing in this team
If you have 5 or 6 powerplays and can't even close to scoring a goal, you lose games that are 2-2

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Why the surprise? The reality is a team is only as good as their last game and that was an especially frustrating game to watch.

The coaching, powerplay, asset management are ALL reasonable concerns. Is the sky falling? Maybe not but these are all issues that need to be addressed of this team wants to compete again.

The team is competing now......far ahead of schedule, is the PP an issue, sure, is it coaching, personnel, or luck, probably a combination of all three, asset management.....is fine, unless you happen to be a huge fan of Kale Clague.......coaching....again, is fine, they are competing right now, which no one thought was possible in June of last year.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The team is competing now......far ahead of schedule, is the PP an issue, sure, is it coaching, personnel, or luck, probably a combination of all three, asset management.....is fine, unless you happen to be a huge fan of Kale Clague.......coaching....again, is fine, they are competing right now, which no one thought was possible in June of last year.

They are far ahead of schedule? Pretty sure they are supposed to be "competitive" this season. Actually making the playoffs this season is ahead of schedule but merely being competitive is not.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They are far ahead of schedule? Pretty sure they are supposed to be "competitive" this season. Actually making the playoffs this season is ahead of schedule but merely being competitive is not.

You might be right, keep in mind, my timeline is f***ed, always has been.....for me though, I always thought this year playoffs would be a bonus, not the ultimate goal, regardless of what Blake said or even did, I think the steps taken defensively, are much further ahread, Bjornfoot, Andersson, Durzi, all what, 23 or under, all on a main role, that's impressive in the NHL for any team, they integrated Kaliyev, tried to Kupari, didn't really try with Turcotte, and are trying now with Byfield....everyone says Kaliyev 4th line etc, I'd have to look to be sure, but I think that Lizotte line, generally will get more ice time than the Byfield/Turcotte/Kupari etc line, so they are integrating the youth, next year with Brown, AA gone, maybe you see Fagemo being integrated, he looked good when he was up, maybe they put Turcotte up, on the 4th line, but that would cause mass suicide's here...so maybe not the best idea....

TLDR version is, they are taking things slowly, stocking what they have, the trade deadline will be a good idea of where they think they are....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad