GDT: 2021-22 season game 48 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 2/15/22

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Did everyone expect Brown to still be on PP1 after 1 point in 100 odd minutes and 6 worst PP in the league? If there ever was a genetic marker for coaching ineptitude that is it. You can find universal sentiment about some key facts: PP1 is atrocious, Brown is atrocious (for example) nitter Can anyone take the opposite side of this argument, that Brown belongs on PP1 and that PP1 is OK as it is.

Amazingly, we have just such people here with their heads so far up their own asses that they see no problem with it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So your "alarming trend" is the first 7-8 games where they shit the bed...thats the trend?

Losses to MIN, NSH, DAL (OT), STL, STL, WPG, first 7 games of the season, since then,

W - STL
L - WPG (OT)
L - ARZ (OT)
L - ANA (OT)
L - CGY
W - EDM
L - VAN
W - DAL
W - MIN
L - VGS
W - VAN (SO)
L - NSH
W - SEA
L - SJ
L - COL
L - EDM

16 games, 6-7-3, so total, 24 games, 7-13-4

Holy shit that's disturbing..... no it is, seriously, no really, it's like the regular season only counts vs Western teams....

Tell me, if they go 25-3 against the East, and 14-18 vs the West.....are we having this discussion?

f*** man, if that's your ALARMING TREND, I tend to think we will be f***ing fine the rest of the way...

My alarming trend is looking at your list of 16 games and I see 3 wins vs the Pacific. One vs. Edmonton, a shootout win vs. van, and a gimme vs. Seattle.

And then what, we just wish our way into the Atlantic/Metro playoff bracket or?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
My alarming trend is looking at your list of 16 games and I see 3 wins vs the Pacific. One vs. Edmonton, a shootout win vs. van, and a gimme vs. Seattle.

Nope, like I said.....you seem to think only games vs Western conference teams count....weird...but ok.

Your alarming trend is that out of our 48 games played, the majority of them have been against the East.....that's literally what this boils down to

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Did everyone expect Brown to still be on PP1 after 1 point in 100 odd minutes and 6 worst PP in the league? If there ever was a genetic marker for coaching ineptitude that is it. You can find universal sentiment about some key facts: PP1 is atrocious, Brown is atrocious (for example) nitter Can anyone take the opposite side of this argument, that Brown belongs on PP1 and that PP1 is OK as it is.
No one is going to take the argument that the power play is OK. It sucks.

I can make and have made the argument that Brown is not the worst power play forward on the team. The purpose of the power play is to score goals with a man advantage yes? The Kings, like most other teams, play four forwards with one D, usually Doughty. Who do you think are the top four forwards on the Kings (>30 minutes PP time) in terms of goals for rate? Shouldn't you put the forwards that result in the most goals for per time in as your PP1 unit?

The Kings score most often with these forwards on the ice for a power play (goals for per power play minutes):
1. Arthur Kaliyev
2. Dustin Brown
3. Victor Arvidsson
4. Anze Kopitar

There you go. The numbers tell you that Brown belongs on PP1. (They also tell you that Kaliyev belongs on PP1.) Brown isn't scoring points because he doesn't generally touch the puck on the power play. His job is to stand in front of the net, create traffic, and screen the goalie.

Again, the whole power play sucks, so I'm not gonna be sad if Brown is replaced with Byfield, for example, but Brown is not the sole reason, or even the major reason that the power play is inept.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kings are now 4-5-1 in the division, 7-12-4 vs. the west.

If you guys want to blow each other because you're superior fans be my guest, I love you both and support this relationship, but it's clear that you're doing so while ignoring plenty of alarming trends.

i seriously wonder how they ignore the fact that kings are getting lucky to be in their spot due to the east. Kings are putrid against the west. Todd loses to San Jose non stop which we will see even more of this season.

Todd needs to go

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nope, like I said.....you seem to think only games vs Western conference teams count....weird...but ok.
Your alarming trend is that out of our 48 games played, the majority of them have been against the East.....that's literally what this boils down to

Majority, lol. 25 games vs. the east, 23 vs. the west. Let's not pretend it's a weird proportion, it's almost 50-50.

17-8 vs. the East.
7-16 vs. the West, including 3-10 vs. the division.

I guess it's not alarming if you think that losses and wins are randomly assigned to east and west and that we can play the east in the first few rounds in the playoffs. I guess nothing there to worry about, just hoping for that Kings/Penguins 1st round!

to me, this is a continuation of evidence of TM's biggest criticism, the inability to adjust. Winning one-off games in december vs. an eastern opponent is a long way from divisional grinds over 7 games. We're failing that part with flying colors.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Amazingly, we have just such people here with their heads so far up their own asses that they see no problem with it.

I'm almost impressed at the level of ignorance. It goes beyond leading a horse to water. It's putting the horse on a raft in the middle of a lake, coming back 2 weeks later, and finding the horse dehydrated.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Maybe the point needs to be made that division opponents and especially big rivals know your system and your players inside and out.. and the inability to do well against that kind of opponent indicates a coaching issue as opposed to East conf that probably dont bother doing much other than some advance scouting.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i seriously wonder how they ignore the fact that kings are getting lucky to be in their spot due to the east. Kings are putrid against the west. Todd loses to San Jose non stop which we will see even more of this season.

Todd needs to go

3-7-1 vs. SJS since TM's arrival
5-5-1 vs. Anaheim
2-4 vs. Edmonton

I could go on but you know the rest.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe the point needs to be made that division opponents and especially big rivals know your system and your players inside and out.. and the inability to do well against that kind of opponent indicates a coaching issue as opposed to East conf that probably dont bother doing much other than some advance scouting.

I'm maybe beating around the bush but that's exactly what I'm suggesting.

121 point pace vs. the east
64 pt pace vs. the west
56 pt. pace vs. the division.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

I can make and have made the argument that Brown is not the worst power play forward on the team. The purpose of the power play is to score goals with a man advantage yes? The Kings, like most other teams, play four forwards with one D, usually Doughty. Who do you think are the top four forwards on the Kings (>30 minutes PP time) in terms of goals for rate? Shouldn't you put the forwards that result in the most goals for per time in as your PP1 unit?

The Kings score most often with these forwards on the ice for a power play (goals for per power play minutes):
1. Arthur Kaliyev
2. Dustin Brown
3. Victor Arvidsson
4. Anze Kopitar

There you go. The numbers tell you that Brown belongs on PP1. (They also tell you that Kaliyev belongs on PP1.) Brown isn't scoring points because he doesn't generally touch the puck on the power play. His job is to stand in front of the net, create traffic, and screen the goalie.

Again, the whole power play sucks, so I'm not gonna be sad if Brown is replaced with Byfield, for example, but Brown is not the sole reason, or even the major reason that the power play is inept.
Im not sure that stat is powerful enough to draw any conclusions - (not that any stat in isolation is). but the one I used to make my point was scoring . 1 point in 100 minutes. thats actually very hard to accomplish. It means he's not banging in any rebounds or doing anything around the net other than to screen the goalie - which its not clear how well he does that. The other thing that makes Brown suspect for PP1 is zone entry, he cant catch a pass nor can he make a pass very well. That is a liability for PP possession but hard to track in stats.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I'm maybe beating around the bush but that's exactly what I'm suggesting.

121 point pace vs. the east
64 pt pace vs. the west
56 pt. pace vs. the division.
Yes - I was trying to support the argument you were making because I agree with what you said originally. And maybe its not obvious what you were alluding to re success in one conference vs the other. ie it could be some random correlation for this season. So I do think it indicates a problem.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Dustin, is this you?

No, it's Phillip Denault...who also has 1 pp point all year, and is our 2nd unit pp center. So now tell me again what's ok with that? You take Brown off the pp a month ago, and guess what, the number don't change at all.
BTW, AI, 2 goals, 5 total pp points. Kempe, 2 goals, 6 total pp points...

Reactions: lumbergh

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
No, it's Phillip Denault...who also has 1 pp point all year, and is our 2nd unit pp center. So now tell me again what's ok with that? You take Brown off the pp a month ago, and guess what, the number don't change at all.
So youre saying the Kings top six players arent very good? That probably is the reason they were able to get such high draft picks the last 4 years. None of the picks are allowed in the top six though.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Hmm, well that sucks. I have an idea, take everyone off the PP except Kaliyev. Do it Todd, or just die.

Reactions: lumbergh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, this has been a issue for a few years. We don't have a winning record in our own division. I think last year alone SJ took 13 of 16 points. We've thrown away a lot of points, just like last night. Our pp is losing us games in our division, even against the weaker teams. If we can't make it to .500 vs our division, a wildcard spot at best won't be attainable .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Majority, lol. 25 games vs. the east, 23 vs. the west. Let's not pretend it's a weird proportion, it's almost 50-50.

17-8 vs. the East.

I guess it's not alarming if you think that losses and wins are randomly assigned to east and west and that we can play the east in the first few rounds in the playoffs. I guess nothing there to worry about, just hoping for that Kings/Penguins 1st round!

to me, this is a continuation of evidence of TM's biggest criticism, the inability to adjust. Winning one-off games in december vs. an eastern opponent is a long way from divisional grinds over 7 games. We're failing that part with flying colors.

The Kings have 16 games remaining versus the Pacific. At this pace, they'd earn at most 8 points (6/26 points earned so far = .23 * 32 possible points = 7.4).

The Kings have 11 games against the Central. At this pace, they'd earn at most 5 points (8/20 points earned so far = .4 * 22 possible points).

The Kings have 7 games against the east. At this pace, they'd earn at most 10 points (34/50 points earned so far = .68 *14 possible points = 9.52).

So, at this current trend (I'll use the term to help those follow), the Kings will earn about 23 points with their remaining schedule. So, they would end at 78 points.

There aren't many teams the Kings play against where they have a winning record against. These are the remaining games against teams in which the Kings have a winning record (points earned are greater than .500):
New York Islanders 2/26
Stars 3/2
Buffalo 3/6
Florida 3/13
Seattle 3/26, 3/28, 4/27

So, 7 of the remaining 34 games are against teams where the Kings have a winning record. Granted, a couple teams the Kings haven't even played yet. So, sure. Maybe it will go well. Maybe also the Kings will win the rest of the games. But these are all the remaining games against teams with a losing record (less than .500 points earned):

Arizona: 2/19, 2/23
Anaheim: 2/25, 4/19, 4/23
San Jose: 3/10, 3/12, 3/17
Nashville: 3/22
Calgary: 3/31, 4/4
Winnipeg: 4/2
Colorado 3/15, 4/13

So, I know some really struggle with trends and observation. But with the Kings fighting for a playoff spot, they have 14 games against teams they have a losing record against, 7 games against teams they have a winning record against, and 13 games against teams they have a .500 record against (or haven't played yet).

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Im not sure that stat is powerful enough to draw any conclusions - (not that any stat in isolation is). but the one I used to make my point was scoring . 1 point in 100 minutes. thats actually very hard to accomplish. It means he's not banging in any rebounds or doing anything around the net other than to screen the goalie - which its not clear how well he does that. The other thing that makes Brown suspect for PP1 is zone entry, he cant catch a pass nor can he make a pass very well. That is a liability for PP possession but hard to track in stats.
Agreed. I just took the other post as a challenge.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

1. Arthur Kaliyev
2. Dustin Brown
3. Victor Arvidsson
4. Anze Kopitar

Lol.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
I almost believed you till you spelt your name wrong .. haha

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

17-8 vs. the East.

I had it at 28 vs 20....

I also didn't have the Kings going 82-0 like some people....so there is that.....no, it's not alarming, because again I don't have idiotic expectations of the team winning anything right now.....the fact that they are competitive is a major step up.....even if they squeak in, go 4-0, it gives the kids, and there's a shit ton of kids on the team, valuable experience of what it takes to win...at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad