2021-22 Scoring Leaders #3

2021-22 Scoring Leaders #3

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think some people are taking this as a firm ranking of the players by the likelihood of them winning the Art Ross based on their previous finishes, rather than just a random prediction poll for guessing for scoring leaders. Not really a leap to predict MacKinnon to go 3rd or Matthews to go 5th.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Just seems like another case of Matthews being forced into conversations he doesn’t really belong in. Aka all the painful to listen to “is Matthews the best player in the NHL” discussions that TSN loves to have

If any leaf player is going to compete for the Art Ross precedent would predict Marner. But all the leaf fans are down on him right now, so they don’t want to pump his tires even if he deserves it.
He absolutely deserves to be there after a top 5 finish last year. As big of a case as anyone else I named. Mack is a beast and likely 3 but I believe the others (also marchand, kane, Mikko) could all be there too. To completely say he doesn't belong is shockingly wrong to me.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Just seems like another case of Matthews being forced into conversations he doesn’t really belong in. Aka all the painful to listen to “is Matthews the best player in the NHL” discussions that TSN loves to have

If any leaf player is going to compete for the Art Ross precedent would predict Marner. But all the leaf fans are down on him right now, so they don’t want to pump his tires even if he deserves it.

But you even wrote above when you defended your MacKinnon selection that we're not voting for 1st, we're voting for 3rd, and that poster was putting Matthews later than this. Matthews likely doesn't have the Art Ross ceiling as others as it's pretty hard to win when your totals slant more toward goals, but he's certainly capable of finishing 5th since he did it last year.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He absolutely deserves to be there after a top 5 finish last year. As big of a case as anyone else I named. Mack is a beast and likely 3 but I believe the others (also marchand, kane, Mikko) could all be there too. To completely say he doesn't belong is shockingly wrong to me.
I get your point. But there’s a lot of playmakers who have been on the top of the points list more frequently. Saying Matthews and only Matthews will progress and pass them seems weird to me.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
I get your point. But there’s a lot of playmakers who have been on the top of the points list more frequently. Saying Matthews and only Matthews will progress and pass them seems weird to me.
Oh i'm not speaking in absolutes at all. Just shocked you don't think he should be in consideration when he is the best goal scorer in the game right now. Bunch of guys who could but thinking he shouldn't be in that list isn't right haha

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Oh i'm not speaking in absolutes at all. Just shocked you don't think he should be in consideration when he is the best goal scorer in the game right now. Bunch of guys who could but thinking he shouldn't be in that list isn't right haha
He is the best goalscorer in the game 100%

But his assist totals are simply too low. If I was putting money on this he probably wouldn’t even be in my top 8. When you are as focused on goals as he is, it’s really hard to put up big point totals.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
He is the best goalscorer in the game 100%

But his assist totals are simply too low. If I was putting money on this he probably wouldn’t even be in my top 8. When you are as focused on goals as he is, it’s really hard to put up big point totals.
Assists could definitely be higher for sure. If he ends up bettering that aspect of his game he'll be a perennial top 3 scorer and maybe even win an Art Ross one day. He'll likely hit 60 goals and 35 assist next season if healthy.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Assists could definitely be higher for sure. If he ends up bettering that aspect of his game he'll be a perennial top 3 scorer and maybe even win an Art Ross one day. He'll likely hit 60 goals and 35 assist next season if healthy.
Well 60 goals is an extremely high mark, that’s far from a given. Only Draisaitl and Ovi have even scored 50 goals in the past decade.

But even if he does score 60 goals and 95 points. That probably wouldn’t be a top 5 point finish.
That’s a 1.15 PPG.

2018/19- that’d be 15th in PPG
2019/20-that’d be 12th in PPG
2020/21-that’d be 11th in PPG

So while it’d be an extremely impressive season, it likely wouldn’t be near the top of the point finishes
Simply put, 35 assists (which would tie a career high in assists for Auston) just isn’t enough to be near the league lead in points, no matter how good of a goalscorer you are

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Well 60 goals is an extremely high mark, that’s far from a given. Only Draisaitl and Ovi have even scored 50 goals in the past decade.

But even if he does score 60 goals and 95 points. That probably wouldn’t be a top 5 point finish.
That’s a 1.15 PPG.

2018/19- that’d be 15th in PPG
2019/20-that’d be 12th in PPG
2020/21-that’d be 11th in PPG

So while it’d be an extremely impressive season, it likely wouldn’t be near the top of the point finishes
Simply put, 35 assists (which would tie a career high in assists for Auston) just isn’t enough to be near the league lead in points, no matter how good of a goalscorer you are
It's the same as people claiming McD is going to get 150 points. Both have paced for numbers like that but neither has hit them yet due to circumstances. I do think Matthews will hit 100 points thi
s year if he hits that next level playmaking. Which is definitely top 5 pace.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It's the same as people claiming McD is going to get 150 points. Both have paced for numbers like that but neither has hit them yet due to circumstances. I do think Matthews will hit 100 points thi
s year if he hits that next level playmaking. Which is definitely top 5 pace.
McDavid is very likely not going to hit 150 points. People love to throw out ludicrous numbers but paces always fall as the season progresses.
Even if McDavid gets 130+ points that’d be one of the best seasons of the modern era.

“If he hits another level of play making” is a big if. It’s the same thing as saying McDavid will score 150 if he turns into the best goal scorer in the league and scores 60+. While it is true it’s very unlikely.

When you’re already one of the best in the world there isn’t nearly as much room for growth because you’re already operating at the ceiling. Matthews is going into his 6th season, McDavid is going into his 7th. While they can continue slightly improving and tweaking their game, it’s a safe assumption that there is no next full gear to hit.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
McDavid is very likely not going to hit 150 points. People love to throw out ludicrous numbers but paces always fall as the season progresses.
Even if McDavid gets 130+ points that’d be one of the best seasons of the modern era.

“If he hits another level of play making” is a big if. It’s the same thing as saying McDavid will score 150 if he turns into the best goal scorer in the league and scores 60+. While it is true it’s very unlikely.

When you’re already one of the best in the world there isn’t nearly as much room for growth because you’re already operating at the ceiling. Matthews is going into his 6th season, McDavid is going into his 7th. While they can continue slightly improving and tweaking their game, it’s a safe assumption that there is no next full gear to hit.
Of course nothing set in stone just trying to open your pre determined eyes as it seems you've made your mind up instead of saying lets see! Both sides the side of our crazed homers (every fan base has them) and the doubters (NGL you seem to be very cynical towards him) Just saying he's got a good chance as any of the listed.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Of course nothing set in stone just trying to open your pre determined eyes as it seems you've made your mind up instead of saying lets see! Both sides the side of our crazed homers (every fan base has them) and the doubters (NGL you seem to be very cynical towards him) Just saying he's got a good chance as any of the listed.
Fair enough

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
So Marchand who finished third this past season is not even an option for third next season?
He was in the 2nd poll, but I accidentally left him off this third poll. I will add him back to the next one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad