2021-22 Scoring Leaders #2

2021-22 Scoring Leaders #2

• Total voters

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm not sure why Oilers fans keep trying to claim this when we have the numbers. They were put together again at the end of the season, and Draisaitl played 40% of his even strength time with McDavid and scored 65% of his even strength points with McDavid on the ice. Without McDavid, Draisaitl had an ES P/60 of 1.87. If he played all his ES ice time last year without McDavid and kept the same P/60, he would have had 30 ES points last year instead of 51, which would make his total points 63 instead of 84. 63 points in 56 games comes to a pace of 92 points.

I don't think this would happen, as I doubt they ever stay apart completely and Draisaitl's linemates should be more productive this year, but the reasoning isn't without merit.
A 92 point pace playing with Yamamoto, Kahun, Kassian, etc is extremely impressive. The Oilers (lack of) depth is on full display when McDavid/Draisaitl are split up. The Oilers' 3rd and 4th best forwards RNH/Puljujarvi were usually McDavid's wingers when Draisaitl was centering the 2nd line.

Matthews gets Marner. Mackinnon gets Rantanen. Kucherov has Point. Along with those players playing with better tertiary offensive threats (Landeskog, Nylander/Hyman, Stamkos/Palat/Killorn) and better puck moving dmen (Rielly, Makar/Girard, Hedman/Sergachev). That is talent the Oilers don't have.

Yet people like you love to pile on Draisaitl like he needs to produce at a 100+ point pace next to 3rd liners in order get some respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: BertMcDrai

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A 92 point pace playing with Yamamoto, Kahun, Kassian, etc is extremely impressive. The Oilers (lack of) depth is on full display when McDavid/Draisaitl are split up. The 3rd and 4th best forwards RNH/Puljujarvi were usually McDavid's wingers when Draisaitl was centering the 2nd line.

Matthews gets Marner. Mackinnon gets Rantanen. Kucherov has Point. Along with those players playing with better secondary offensive threats and better puck moving dmen.
Yet people like you love to pile on Draisaitl like he needs to produce at a 100+ point pace next to 3rd liners in order get some respect.

If you believe your first paragraph, then what's the issue? The initial poster made a prediction based on Draisaitl and McDavid not playing together this year with the improved winger depth and I simply backed up the possibility with stats when another poster questioned it. Neither of us made any comment on what those statistics mean in terms of Draisaitl's ability or ranking as a player, as this thread is simply about production. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to take offense

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If you believe your first paragraph, then what's the issue? The initial poster made a prediction based on Draisaitl and McDavid not playing together this year with the improved winger depth and I simply backed up the possibility with stats when another poster questioned it. Neither of us made any comment on what those statistics mean in terms of Draisaitl's ability or ranking as a player, as this thread is simply about production. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to take offense
The past 3 seasons he has scored 105, 128, 123 point paces and you're living in fantasy land if you think he is a 90 point player who is boosted 30 (!?!) points solely by McDavid. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Put him on the 1st line of Toronto or Tampa his "away from McDavid" numbers would surely look a lot more impressive because he'd at least get to play with 1st line forwards, just like every other elite player in the league.

My problem is people love to detract Draisaitl, but lets see Matthews/Kucherov's number when you isolate the time that they play with weak forward line mates. Toronto/Tampa are so deep it probably never happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad