Salary Cap: 2021-22 Roster and Transactions General

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Florida Panthers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Pending Free Agent2021-22 Cap HitExpiry Status
Frank Vatrano$2,533,333UFA
Eetu Luostarinen$897,500RFA
Owen Tippett$863,333RFA
Mason Marchment$800,000UFA
Joe Thornton$750,000UFA
Ryan Lomberg$750,000UFA
Matt Kiersted$858,750RFA
Chase Priskie$750,000RFA (Arbitration)
Maxim Mamin$975,000UFA
Olli Juolevi$750,000RFA
Markus Nutivaara$2,700,000UFA
Noel Acciari$1,666,667UFA
Kevin Connauton$825,000UFA
Aleksi Heponiemi$925,000RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dead Cap2021-22 Cap Hit2022-23 Cap Hit
Keith Yandle$2,341,667$5,391,667
Scott Darling$1,183,333$1,183,333
Roberto Luonogo$1,092,122$0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Draft1st Rounder?2nd Rounder?3rd Rounder?Number of 4th+ Rounders
2022NoNoYes5
2023YesYesYes4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: harv33173

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I think Tippett is going to have to take a <$3.5m x 1y bridge this offseason to get us past the final year of Hornqvist's $5.3m, Darling's $1.1m, and Yandle's worst buyout year. But otherwise, I don't think we're in a bad situation salary cap wise until at least 2023.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'm seeing this:

- Florida sends 2nd round pick to Calgary
+ Florida receives Calgary's 6th round pick (both transactions part of the Sam Bennett trade)

*** unresolved conditional pick
Florida will send their first-round pick to Buffalo if they finish above the bottom 10 of the league.
If Florida is in the bottom 10 of the league, they keep their first-round pick this season, and send Buffalo their first in 2023
( part of the Sam Reinhart trade with Buffalo)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
That Yandle buy out might cause problems next year if the cap doesn't go up. Frank the Tank is probably going to sign elsewhere but that's only clearing $2.5m.

Nuti is gone too so that's another $2.7 million. Plus Luongo's recap penalty clears another million. Also Acciari's contract ends although I could see them bringing him back on a cheaper deal.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I see Nutivaara is on Injured Reserve. Can someone please advise nature of injury and expected recovery time? Thanks in advance!

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Nuti is gone too so that's another $2.7 million. Plus Luongo's recap penalty clears another million. Also Acciari's contract ends although I could see them bringing him back on a cheaper deal.
Unless Acciari is willing to take <$1m, then we won't have room for him.
Our bottom 6 is going to have to make as close to minimum as possible, especially if we're keeping Hornqvist.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Unless Acciari is willing to take <$1m, then we won't have room for him.
Our bottom 6 is going to have to make as close to minimum as possible, especially if we're keeping Hornqvist.

Oh he will if he wants to come back, his injuries are a pretty big red flag at this point. I like Acciari but glad that his contract is up, if he takes under a million to come back then by all means.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Moving Duclair at three million shouldn't be hard either. That's a pretty expensive fourth liner lol.

Yeah, someone would definitely bite on that and we wouldn't have to attach a pick. There are definitely a few options. I'm not worried about next offseason. It's 2023. We're gonna lose Huby or Weegs. Probably Weegs. He just keeps on improving. He' ll try to go for 7-8 M, and who can blame him? He's fantastic and deserves it. And we can't pay two defensemen a combined 14-15 M.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
We're gonna lose Huby or Weegs. Probably Weegs.

lol. Zito better get his head checked if he's going to let Weegar walk before Hubs. If the Cats can retain Weegs' services for $7.5mil per then that's a steal in comparison to the recent multi year nine mil deals to dmen. If Tampa can and will spend $15mil for their top dmen then there's no reason why the Cats cannot do the same. The Cats have more than enough forwards to winger spots but not dmen to top4.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Weegar is not worth more than $5m per year. You can easily find a replacement for him. He is kind of brain dead. That penalty that he took was stupid. He cross checked the player several times and that earned him 4 minutes. The replay that the jumbo showed was not the infraction. I like him, but he is a dumb player. He’s not that tough, but he acts like he is.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Weegar is not worth more than $5m per year. You can easily find a replacement for him. He is kind of brain dead. That penalty that he took was stupid. He cross checked the player several times and that earned him 4 minutes. The replay that the jumbo showed was not the infraction. I like him, but he is a dumb player. He’s not that tough, but he acts like he is.
Funny joke my guy, you should do stand up...

Reactions: Clint

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You’re perhaps gonna get flamed for this but not by me. I agree. Weegar is good but not that level good. Actually, Forsling is better.

Weegs stands out because we don’t have a great defensive core.

Reactions: Great8Cam

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
imo the truth is probably in between these two extremes. i can't imagine paying weegar over 7.5m based on his body of work.

let's see how he does this year, though.

weegar can be a great piece on D but he's got some obvious weaknesses. huby on the other hand, is a special player. if i had to choose between the two, i would pick huby without hesitation.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
lol. Zito better get his head checked if he's going to let Weegar walk before Hubs. If the Cats can retain Weegs' services for $7.5mil per then that's a steal in comparison to the recent multi year nine mil deals to dmen. If Tampa can and will spend $15mil for their top dmen then there's no reason why the Cats cannot do the same. The Cats have more than enough forwards to winger spots but not dmen to top4.

I know this comes as a shock to you but Huby>>Weegs. Losing Weegs would suck but we have to keep our salary structure in place. Tampa signed Hedman and McD before the flat cap. Believe me they will feel the hurt next offseason when Point's new deal kicks in. It will probably force them to let Palat walk. I also kinda like Fors just as much as Weegs, and his next deal will probably still be cheaper than what Weegs is gonna get. And rest assured, Vatrano is gone next summer, and when Horny is due, he's gone as well. In a flat cap you really have to have a number that you allocate to each position.

F- 50M
D- 25M
G- 7M

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I know this comes as a shock to you but Huby>>Weegs. Losing Weegs would suck but we have to keep our salary structure in place. Tampa signed Hedman and McD before the flat cap. Believe me they will feel the hurt next offseason when Point's new deal kicks in. It will probably force them to let Palat walk. I also kinda like Fors just as much as Weegs, and his next deal will probably still be cheaper than what Weegs is gonna get. And rest assured, Vatrano is gone next summer, and when Horny is due, he's gone as well. In a flat cap you really have to have a number that you allocate to each position.

F- 50M
D- 25M
G- 7M

Losing Weegar would be braindead move by Zito since Weegar has been an elite dman for the past two years already but the Huby-fanboyism in here gets in the way of looking at things objectively.

We just witnessed in the past season that Hubs cannot step up his game when both Barkov and Ek were out of the lineup whereas Weegar did. Just imagine the top4 if Ekblad stumbles again in his own feet and has to spend a significant portion of the season out of the lineup. Just gross...
I don't know what's your point... Tampa just won the Cup with those two in the payroll and you're alluding that they made a mistake by signing both of them.
Every team that wishes to remain competitive will be hurting at the accounting dept so who cares in that regard, it's not like it's affecting only couple of teams out there.
GMs do not have set dollar values for forwards, defense and goat lending... you pay according to what provides the most bang for your buck. You can thank Dale for Bobby Rovsky taking that $10mil which could've been used more appropriately.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Losing Weegar would be braindead move by Zito since Weegar has been an elite dman for the past two years already but the Huby-fanboyism in here gets in the way of looking at things objectively.

We just witnessed in the past season that Hubs cannot step up his game when both Barkov and Ek were out of the lineup whereas Weegar did. Just imagine the top4 if Ekblad stumbles again in his own feet and has to spend a significant portion of the season out of the lineup. Just gross...
I don't know what's your point... Tampa just won the Cup with those two in the payroll and you're alluding that they made a mistake by signing both of them.
Every team that wishes to remain competitive will be hurting at the accounting dept so who cares in that regard, it's not like it's affecting only couple of teams out there.
GMs do not have set dollar values for forwards, defense and goat lending... you pay according to what provides the most bang for your buck. You can thank Dale for Bobby Rovsky taking that $10mil which could've been used more appropriately.

I'm not disputing the fact that Weegar is a top 20 D in the nhl. Any higher than that though is pushing it. I believe in a 50/50 approach to analytics. I mean Gryzelyck is the stud of those charts and he was a trainwreck vs the Isles in the playoffs. However, Huby is a top 20 PLAYER in the nhl. He's just better.
Yes it would suck if we lost Weegs, but in a flat cap world you have to make tough decisions. Spend too much on your D and its eventually gonna affect your forwards. Pretty soon, even Tampa's forward group isn't gonna look all that impressive. They will lose Palat, and Stammer might also decline in a couple years. I' m not saying Tampa shouldn't have locked up both Hedman and Mcd. Obviously they should have. What I'm saying is spending a lot on the D will eventually have ripple effects on the F, and vice versa. You are right that teams pay for what gives them the most bang for their buck. That's why we will sign Huby. If Weegar agrees to 6M or less, we keep him. If not, god bless him. He's been great. Yeah Bob is a boat anchir, but we have to deal with it now. He's also gone within 2 year s I predict. And eventually Knight will be making at least 7M so we won't be saving much there.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not disputing the fact that Weegar is a top 20 D in the nhl. Any higher than that though is pushing it. I believe in a 50/50 approach to analytics. I mean Gryzelyck is the stud of those charts and he was a trainwreck vs the Isles in the playoffs. However, Huby is a top 20 PLAYER in the nhl. He's just better.
Yes it would suck if we lost Weegs, but in a flat cap world you have to make tough decisions. Spend too much on your D and its eventually gonna affect your forwards. Pretty soon, even Tampa's forward group isn't gonna look all that impressive. They will lose Palat, and Stammer might also decline in a couple years. I' m not saying Tampa shouldn't have locked up both Hedman and Mcd. Obviously they should have. What I'm saying is spending a lot on the D will eventually have ripple effects on the F, and vice versa. You are right that teams pay for what gives them the most bang for their buck. That's why we will sign Huby. If Weegar agrees to 6M or less, we keep him. If not, god bless him. He's been great. Yeah Bob is a boat anchir, but we have to deal with it now. He's also gone within 2 year s I predict. And eventually Knight will be making at least 7M so we won't be saving much there.

You have to choose between building a contending team or providing fan service. The Isles managed to get into the 2nd round round of the playoffs and arguably gave the Bolts tougher time than the Cats with only Barzal in the top50 so those player rankings, especially with wingers, have very little to do with actual on ice success. The Isles are in better shape than they were with Tavares who is ranked higher than Barzal. You couldn't care less about the rankings because they are only about fan service, they aim to please the mob so to say. But ofc GMs do not, or at least they shouldn't, look at what some pencil neck at the TSN office thinks about when they assemble their teams.

Why Weegar would settle for $6mil per? The dude was 8th in the Norris voting. If he hits the FA market he'll be getting at least $9mil per. Whether you like or not, he's in the same category with Nurse, Jones and Hamilton.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad