Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSendy

Nov 29, 2017
Why are Holloway and Bourgault being compared to Yamamoto? They are all such different players.

The way I see it:

Bourgault's offensive game will translate to the NHL as long as he isn't expected to create offence. He's smart, generally plays within his game, knows where to be on the ice, etc. He's got a Draisaitl-esque sneaky wrister and snap shot. He isn't the fleetest skater, and kind of lugs the puck a bit, also in a Draisaitl-esque manner. He shouldn't be expected to be the puck transporter on his line, but he'll get to the right spots and finish when he's given a chance. He needs to work on his defense and board work, which is basically what every offense first junior player needs to work on. I would expect him to outproduce Yamamoto given the same line mates, but also be a bit of a liability initially. He's a fairly safe bet to be a top 6 winger.

Holloway is still raw, but in a good way. Some raw prospects stay raw. Holloway is on the bbq. He has great straight line speed. He could definitely be stronger on his skates, but that should come with time. He can also handle the puck at speed and distribute it. There's an NHL player there, but it remains to be seen whether he's a 2nd line type or a 4th liner. I lean towards 2nd-3rd line player, and in a pinch he could play the give and go with McDavid on the top line.

Both of these guys should be in the mix to make the team, but both are likely at least a full year away from making an impact at the NHL level.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Awesome!

I love those Young Stars games for the Western Canadian teams prospects.

Who did Nurse knock out/bloody up that one year? It was some big idiot on the Flames.

10 minutes until Bourgault plays y‘all.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Awesome!

Who did Nurse knock out/bloody up that one year? It was some big idiot on the Flames.

Hunter Smith?

Reactions: snipes

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Awesome!

IIRC he beat the snot out of Andersson one year before going back to Junior so Calgary brought in Hunter Smith the following year to try and get retribution but Nurse cleaned his clock as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully it doesn't disturb his summer training to play this late.
Rather him get some high pressure big stage experience than an extra couple weeks to train. Don't really expect him to put on much mass this summer as thats not really his game. Does quite well in puck battles given he's on the slender side due to high hockey IQ and good stick work, and with AHL an option next year he'll have plenty of time to get accustomed to bigger opponents if he's not ready out of camp. Looked pretty damn close to ready in the pre-season this year though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A "kid line" 3rd line would actually be pretty fun on this team. Depending on what plays out with Kane/Puljujarvi I'd be pretty excited for this top 9 next year if the young guys are ready.

Hyman-McDavid-Kane/JP
Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto
Holloway-McLeod-Bourgault

Might be jumping the gun a bit early on next year, but if not next year then the year after. JP could slide into Bourgault's spot if Kane+Yam+JP are back next year.

Reactions: Giggleplex

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
And Yam was better offensively than Holloway up to the same age. Now it may be different in the NHL in the end, but it’s not like Holloway was tearing the AHL up.
Hopefully we can chalk that up to injuries and a full off season of training helps him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And Yam was better offensively than Holloway up to the same age. Now it may be different in the NHL in the end, but it’s not like Holloway was tearing the AHL up.
Yamamoto didn't come off of a couple of surgeries and missed a bunch of offseason training as a result either. Holloway's wrist probably won't be 100% until around the start of next season IMO.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
For those who regularly watch Bakersfield; do any of our defense prospects other than Broberg have top 4 potential ?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
For those who regularly watch Bakersfield; do any of our defense prospects other than Broberg have top 4 potential ?

I haven’t watched much but seem to recall that some that do are still somewhat high on Samorukov (after his poor NHL debut). I think guys like Nemo, Desharnais would be long shots to be anything beyond bottom pairing guys likely due to puck handling / movement limitations. Maybe an outside chance that Kemp and Kesselring could take a step forward but I believe they both had mediocre seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad