Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So what’s his ETA then? Could be okay next year?
He could play in the NHL today... but I expect he will go back for another year. If that means more March-April 23 or Oct 23 depends on how good DU is next year. He's really underrated because he just hasn't got much hype since he had issues at the U18s. He's a rock at DU and getting better. He looks everybit a 2/3 defender to me. He could struggle and only end up an offensive puck mover, but I don't see much keeping him from being Ryan Ellis 2.0.

I'll admit I'm probably the most bullish person on him here. Most won't agree with me, but I see a picture perfect defensemen for the modern NHL. He's small, but as we see, that can be mitigated... and he's legit physical for his size.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He could play in the NHL today... but I expect he will go back for another year. If that means more March-April 23 or Oct 23 depends on how good DU is next year. He's really underrated because he just hasn't got much hype since he had issues at the U18s. He's a rock at DU and getting better. He looks everybit a 2/3 defender to me. He could struggle and only end up an offensive puck mover, but I don't see much keeping him from being Ryan Ellis 2.0.

I'll admit I'm probably the most bullish person on him here. Most won't agree with me, but I see a picture perfect defensemen for the modern NHL. He's small, but as we see, that can be mitigated... and he's legit physical for his size.
I want to see him a bit better 5v5, at least offensively. For a freshman season, his point totals aren't a concern, but he's still getting a ton of points when it comes to the PP which is definitely over-saturating his stat line. I also want him to clean up his game when it comes to puck decisions that are not in the offensive zone. He still has some pretty bad turnovers when a forechequer is about to hound him.

Reactions: Alienblood

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I want to see him a bit better 5v5, at least offensively. For a freshman season, his point totals aren't a concern, but he's still getting a ton of points when it comes to the PP which is definitely over-saturating his stat line. I also want him to clean up his game when it comes to puck decisions that are not in the offensive zone. He still has some pretty bad turnovers when a forechequer is about to hound him.
Thanks for sharing your insights. I'd be curious to hear how he's been on the PK. I recall seeing footage identifying shot-blocking as a particular weakness.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I don't think he's going to be a huge driver offensively. He'll be good, but not elite. A ~40ish point guy who might have a career season higher. He's Girard offensively with a better shot (though not a weapon still)... he's a very natural PP QB, so I think he will always have some production there. My biggest issue with Behrens is his decision making. He can get too aggressive and make some bad reads with the puck in his own zone. I tend to prefer defensemen to be aggressive and make those mistake rather than never push anything. I think with experience that will clear up, but he always going to have some bad decisions.

Right now I think we have an abundance of great defensive prospects across the NHL who are not in the league. I think I'd have a hard time rating 10 above Behrens. There are the obvious Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Cormier, Nemiela, Soderstrom, and Clarke... after that I think Behrens is right in that next conversation.

Reactions: Richard88

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He can get too aggressive and make some bad reads with the puck in his own zone. I tend to prefer defensemen to be aggressive and make those mistake rather than never push anything. I think with experience that will clear up, but he always going to have some bad decisions.
I saw that too, especially at the U18s in Dallas. He tends to force the play a lot at times, which contributes to many of his bad puck decisions.
Thanks for sharing your insights. I'd be curious to hear how he's been on the PK. I recall seeing footage identifying shot-blocking as a particular weakness.
I don't remember him too much on the PK and I doubt he'll be there the higher he gets into the pros. He is strictly a QBPP player for me IMO. FYI DU's PP is 3rd in the nation (out of 59 teams) and their PK is 45th out of that same number of teams. A big reason of that is in part of Behrens being a very good QBPP as Hench allude to.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

If people are complaining about shot blocking... not much to complain about!

Behrens will get some shifts on the PK, but he's not a key piece there. He's going to have to develop that over time... I don't think he'll ever be an ace there, but a 2nd unit guy.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don't think he's going to be a huge driver offensively. He'll be good, but not elite. A ~40ish point guy who might have a career season higher. He's Girard offensively with a better shot (though not a weapon still)... he's a very natural PP QB, so I think he will always have some production there. My biggest issue with Behrens is his decision making. He can get too aggressive and make some bad reads with the puck in his own zone. I tend to prefer defensemen to be aggressive and make those mistake rather than never push anything. I think with experience that will clear up, but he always going to have some bad decisions.

Right now I think we have an abundance of great defensive prospects across the NHL who are not in the league. I think I'd have a hard time rating 10 above Behrens. There are the obvious Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Cormier, Nemiela, Soderstrom, and Clarke... after that I think Behrens is right in that next conversation.
Niemela and Cormier outside the 2nd round, smh. :facepalm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Niemela and Cormier outside the 2nd round, smh. :facepalm:
Like Behrens, both should have been 1st round picks. Teams still have issues with frames that don't fit the ideal. Which I get if you're targeting a #1D as smaller 1s are still rare... but late first, you're really targeting middle pairing guys. We've seen TONS of small middle pairing defenders.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
So the important shit about international affairs: what do the Avalanche do with Kovalenko and Zhuravlov?

Knowing this team I’m sure this will scare them off drafting any Russians, which is a shame because with all the other teams being reactionary I suspect some good Eastern European prospects will drop and be good swing for the fences candidates with the Avalanche only having late picks.
Slovaks ?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Like Behrens, both should have been 1st round picks. Teams still have issues with frames that don't fit the ideal. Which I get if you're targeting a #1D as smaller 1s are still rare... but late first, you're really targeting middle pairing guys. We've seen TONS of small middle pairing defenders.

How do you guys view Behrens in comparison to Zellweger? A midget defenseman ranking would be interesting :laugh:

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So the important shit about international affairs: what do the Avalanche do with Kovalenko and Zhuravlov?

Knowing this team I’m sure this will scare them off drafting any Russians, which is a shame because with all the other teams being reactionary I suspect some good Eastern European prospects will drop and be good swing for the fences candidates with the Avalanche only having late picks.

Neither one of them are worth a contract right now... I'd let them stay in Russia.

I'd actually argue it will end up having teams more willing to draft Russians. The sanctions will be there a while and will tighten. The money funding the KHL will start to get tight (it is already pretty tight right now) and that will make it easier to bring those players over.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How do you guys view Behrens in comparison to Zellweger? A midget defenseman ranking would be interesting :laugh:
Zellweger reminds me a lot of Barrie and he's got a plus shot. He has more issues with his frame and isn't as good all around as Behrens... but he's better offensively and has ~50-55 point upside. I think he'll be more limited into a middle pairing role while Behrens could push into a top pairing level with his all around play. That said, if Zellweger hits his pure talent level and rounds out defensively, he has a higher ultimate ceiling. He could be a more explosive Barrie... and that is a hell of a hockey player.

Reactions: PAZ

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Neither one of them are worth a contract right now... I'd let them stay in Russia.

I'd actually argue it will end up having teams more willing to draft Russians. The sanctions will be there a while and will tighten. The money funding the KHL will start to get tight (it is already pretty tight right now) and that will make it easier to bring those players over.
Agreed wouldn't bother with either one.

Kovalenko's skating is not NHL level

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Zellweger reminds me a lot of Barrie and he's got a plus shot. He has more issues with his frame and isn't as good all around as Behrens... but he's better offensively and has ~50-55 point upside. I think he'll be more limited into a middle pairing role while Behrens could push into a top pairing level with his all around play. That said, if Zellweger hits his pure talent level and rounds out defensively, he has a higher ultimate ceiling. He could be a more explosive Barrie... and that is a hell of a hockey player.
Zellweger is the better skater, much more smoother for the transition and west-east game you need as a defender, but he's also butter soft as you mentioned and I think that will hold him back from reaching the stars. No doubt do I think he'll become an NHL defender with his offensive talent and fantastic intelligence, but I also think he has some Marc-Andre Bergeron type of softness in the defensive corners which could limit him in the pros.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Spence is another really good one. Won't have the offensive skills as the two previous defenders, but very good in his own right (reminds me of Spurgeon). He's a weird bloke, he was born in Australia to Japanese parent(s), I think he went to Japan, then went to the United States, and represents Canada lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Spence is another really good one. Won't have the offensive skills as the two previous defenders, but very good in his own right (reminds me of Spurgeon). He's a weird bloke, he was born in Australia to Japanese parent(s), I think he went to Japan, then went to the United States, and represents Canada lol.
Yeah he is certainly in that tier. Amazes me how NHL teams continue to let these undersized defensemen fall into the 2nd-4th rounds... yet you still find the Veleno and Kaut's drafted in the first...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah he is certainly in that tier. Amazes me how NHL teams continue to let these undersized defensemen fall into the 2nd-4th rounds... yet you still find the Veleno and Kaut's drafted in the first...
Kings also have another potential midget dark-horse in Nousiainen who was actually drafted in the same round as Spence. I am a huge fan of his and he had a bloody good year last season. This year not so much, but some of that might be because of Kalpa going all mediocre on us in Liiga. Agreed with your overall point, you can probably add Bokk to that list as well, but so many average players get drafted high and it's notably from the consensus lists as well. Besides reaching for centres, a lot of players which teams saw something special tend to reach for do pretty well. MS55 is one of those examples IMO. I actually liked Kaut during his draft year, had a lot of tools in his toolbox to be a multiple-dimension utility forward that can find a role anywhere in the top 9. Veleno, though, holy smokes, talk about someone who was going into the draft insanely hyped just because he was a very high LHJMQ draft selection.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Avs have a strong defensive prospect pipeline so should probably be focussing on centers and goaltenders with the few top 100 picks they have, but it wouldn't be the worst idea to keep targeting these undervalued smaller frame Dmen outside the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad