GWT: 2021-22 PL Matchweek 1

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Just elated right now. Haven't felt like this from a game since the miracle in Amsterdam over two years ago. But I guess the bar was pretty low since Spurs have played bad football ever since then.

Reactions: Fro and Jack Straw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not going to get worked up. City will still have a 15 game win streak at some point this season

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not going to get worked up. City will still have a 15 game win streak at some point this season

I don't think so. Their biggest advantage (gigantic squad) matters a lot less when the season isn't packed into such a short time frame.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think so. Their biggest advantage (gigantic squad) matters a lot less when the season isn't packed into such a short time frame.
I think their biggest advantage last season was there being no fans. The size of their squad always plays well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bloody hell, that was a fantastic match to watch as a neutral. I think City got beat by the elements of tiredness, so many of their best players only played the last twenty to thirty minutes, whereas Spurs was as healthy as possible. Just look at the squad out there today...Mendy over Zinchenko is one of the biggest downgrades you can make. Stones to Ake is another, even if neither player was truly at fault in the end. Maybe Mendy was for overplaying his position and allowing Son to run side-by-side with him.

As for the goal I am not sure how that was stoppable? Maybe one of you lot can explain it in more detail, but Son is truly one of the best long-shot curve artists in the world. He's scored like a thousand goals just like that and score another one again. Sure, Dais could've been in a better position and maybe he's at fault for not trying to block it. Cancelo I thought had a good game, while Tanganga was simply brilliant. However, I am not sure how the hell he was able to finish the game having a clean sheet. He could've had a yellow card by the 15th minute mark he was that physical. The team was really suited out there with Santo tactics, I might've underrated him as a manager (we'll see in the long run).

Pathetic is what you are calling us ? It's people like you and the other plastics who revel in nonsense like the ESL. We worked hard, had a plan and took our chances. Villa still have players to come in and probably will sign someone else but it's not our fault they looked lost without Grealish. We clamped down on Buendia maintained a high press. It worked.

I'm sorry we cannot spend hundreds of millions or be backed by an oil state to satisfy your idea of football aesthetics.
Lol at the plastic term, I respect all football clubs especially the lower ones. What I cannot stand are elevator clubs like you and Norwich. Taking spots away from teams who deserve it more and should be given a chance to face the big dawgs in the EPL like Brentford. Watford will be in relegation by Christmas time mate.

Anthony Taylor is so bad.
He thought he was watching rugby out there, brutal ref.

Stop with the galaxy brain shit and don’t empty the midfield.
Yeah, Spurs just absolutely wrecked City from the middle of the park and that begs a lot of questions in how Pep not only didn't realise it, but somehow didn't fix it...

Benrahma and Fornals were great today
Benrahma was MOTM for me easily, really underappreciated player.

Reactions: Fro and Power Man

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We'll see if they can get away with having no striker again as well. I think that will be a real problem for them this year. Jesus isn't good enough to be a starting striker for a title winning team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As for the goal I am not sure how that was stoppable? Maybe one of you lot can explain it in more detail, but Son is truly one of the best long-shot curve artists in the world. He's scored like a thousand goals just like that and score another one again. Sure, Dais could've been in a better position and maybe he's at fault for not trying to block it.
I mean the fact that Ederson didn't even react when there was only one place that shot was going is just not good enough. Son is obviously fantastic from that area but Ederson should be able to read that play to at least make an effort at saving that.

Reactions: S E P H

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We'll see if they can get away with having no striker again as well. I think that will be a real problem for them this year. Jesus isn't good enough to be a starting striker for a title-winning team.
With the head-to-head matchup with Spurs done, my guess is a more intense push to get a Kane deal done will come this week from City.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean the fact that Ederson didn't even react when there was only one place that shot was going is just not good enough. Son is obviously fantastic from that area but Ederson should be able to read that play to at least make an effort at saving that.
You know me, I've been outspoken against Ederson quite a lot on this board. I do think he could've done more and City should absolutely think of replacing him, but you can't argue that was a brilliant strike. I mean I would probably be blaming him more if it wasn't for the fact that Son beats like every single goalkeeper with that same shot in the same location (it just isn't Ederson getting beat IMO).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ederson has typically been an average shot stopping goalie, his real value comes from his ability on the ball.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
After this first match week, I'm just so hungry for more!

Bring on the London derby next weekend and the first full capacity game back at the Amex!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You know me, I've been outspoken against Ederson quite a lot on this board. I do think he could've done more and City should absolutely think of replacing him, but you can't argue that was a brilliant strike. I mean I would probably be blaming him more if it wasn't for the fact that Son beats like every single goalkeeper with that same shot in the same location (it just isn't Ederson getting beat IMO).
I’m not saying he should’ve saved it or anything. But a goalie at a professional level should at least be able to react to that shot based on the fact that there was only one place Son was going to put that ball.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Btw I wouldn't say Man United's win over Leeds was because of Leeds being poor at defending. Two of the goals were because Leeds were poor with possession, United pressured them and won the ball, and ruthlessly punished them. The fifth goal was started by a bad giveaway but I wouldn't link the goal directly to the mistake. Could have been worse too because there were some other giveaways that could very well have resulted in goals.

A lot of the time when Leeds play poorly in possession the other team doesn't move the ball quickly enough after winning it. That wasn't the case here. Have to move the ball before they regroup.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Btw I wouldn't say Man United's win over Leeds was because of Leeds being poor at defending. Two of the goals were because Leeds were poor with possession, United pressured them and won the ball, and ruthlessly punished them. The fifth goal was started by a bad giveaway but I wouldn't link the goal directly to the mistake. Could have been worse too because there were some other giveaways that could very well have resulted in goals.

A lot of the time when Leeds play poorly in possession the other team doesn't move the ball quickly enough after winning it. That wasn't the case here. Have to move the ball before they regroup.

That’s also one of the things United is incredible at. They’ve got several players who excel at long passes in space, have pace, and have good finishers.

When you combine that with the fact that when Leeds lost the ball they were very poor at immediate pressure to win it back they just gifted United a lot of chances to play to their strengths.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I see it took one great run (minus the finish) for Bowen to be worth Liverpool's time again if the online chatter is to be judged. Ah, the internet, you fickle mistress.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That’s also one of the things United is incredible at. They’ve got several players who excel at long passes in space, have pace, and have good finishers.

When you combine that with the fact that when Leeds lost the ball they were very poor at immediate pressure to win it back they just gifted United a lot of chances to play to their strengths.

A few of the times they lost the ball, they just aimlessly ran back to their position with little urgency, or they would start chasing much too quickly. Regardless take no credit away from United because they knew exactly how to punish that, but I think it's unfair to say that Leeds lost because they were poor defensively. That makes it sound like the other team didn't do anything to get those five goals.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I see it took one great run (minus the finish) for Bowen to be worth Liverpool's time again if the online chatter is to be judged. Ah, the internet, you fickle mistress.

I like him but I am massively in the minority on this one. And I think he would play CM for us if a move happened.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I like him but I am massively in the minority on this one. And I think he would play CM for us if a move happened.
Not a commentary really on whether Bowen would be a quality signing for Liverpool or not. Moreso the masses of supporters who were so vocal in their belief he must not be good enough for Liverpool, taking the time to bother watching now that their ears were perked by the link and changing their mind immediately. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad