Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I vocalized my concern with the Danault contract to Hoven. He told me what he said in the recent KotP (where he interviews Trevor Moore).

He summarizes it as an insurance policy. Which makes enough sense. It insulates Vilardi and Byfield from forcing them to perform in a role.

I don't think it's so much keeping them in the AHL all season. But it's about letting them play in less of a pressure situation.

I'm still wary of the contract long-term. But I'm okay with the short-term approach.

They HAVE to start playing these prospects soon. Otherwise they'll be subject to waivers with no NHL experience.

I get the insurance policy part. We expected a kid, after only 10 NHL games to be our 2C, and he simply wasn't ready.

Some of us were saying it all year, Vilardi looked off and should of been sheltered, maybe even sent down for a few games to get his mojo back. Let's just say it was not well received on these boards. Even though, he still ended the season with decent numbers, showed some flashes at times, so there is hope there.

But like I said in another post, this addition never happens if Vilardi took the 2C roster spot and ran with it. Seems to me this is a reactionary signing, purely based on almost mismanaging Vilardi and we want to avoid it happening with other prospects.

I am fine with it, 2C was a short term concern and addressed now.
Term is too long but 3 years seems to be the sweet spot with Kopitar's contact ending and Danault's NMC lifted.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Zach Werenski signs extension with the Blue Jackets (6 years, $9.583M AAV)

What it is with the D all getting 9+ million per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docgonzo

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I vocalized my concern with the Danault contract to Hoven. He told me what he said in the recent KotP (where he interviews Trevor Moore).

He summarizes it as an insurance policy. Which makes enough sense. It insulates Vilardi and Byfield from forcing them to perform in a role.

I don't think it's so much keeping them in the AHL all season. But it's about letting them play in less of a pressure situation.

I'm still wary of the contract long-term. But I'm okay with the short-term approach.

They HAVE to start playing these prospects soon. Otherwise they'll be subject to waivers with no NHL experience.

Hard to disagree with Blake that with the shortened COVID season it was hard for any prospects to really develop.

With a new coach and so many new faces, The Reign had a sluggish start to the season to say the least.

It will be nice to see these kids grow and win/lose as a team this upcoming year. Some huge steps will need to be taken by both The Kings and The Reign.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Based on Blake's interview, I am starting to think that Bjornfot will be starting the year in Ontario as well.

I am fully in favor of this summer's acquisitions, and while I understand the trepidation, I think that last season was such a disaster that they are going to start the year being overly cautious with subjecting kids to a really, really poor enviornment. Danault, Edler and Arvidsson are going to go a long way to reestablishing an identity and accountability. Once the tone is right, I am sure the kids will filter back.

In the meantime, I am thrilled that I work ten minutes away from the Reign.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Alright. TB did everything but trade Sergachev for cap relief. That's one. Werenski is now the 3rd highest cap hit among defenseman, so that should quiet those wishes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad