Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I wonder if Senko is still an option for offense. His trade value can only be trending downward as more and more cap space is being used up by all teams. I'd assume a contract swap with maatta + minor detailing can be worked out if the Blues aren't getting good offers. Maatta+ Grundstrom+ cond. 3rd for Senko 20% retained?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder if Senko is still an option for offense. His trade value can only be trending downward as more and more cap space is being used up by all teams. I'd assume a contract swap with maatta + minor detailing can be worked out if the Blues aren't getting good offers. Maatta+ Grundstrom+ cond. 3rd for Senko 20% retained?

We have $2 million in cap space. Tarasenko at 20% retention is still $6 million. Even moving Maatta's full contract, it would need to be more involved than that. Perhaps one of Kempe or Athanasiou goes the other way?

Maatta + Athanasiou + LAK 2022 2nd round pick for Tarasenko with 20% retention?

Kempe - Kopitar - Tarasenko
Iafallo - Danault - Arvidsson
Andersson - Vilardi - Brown
Grundstrom - JAD - Moore

Bjornfot - Doughty
Edler - Walker
Anderson - Roy

Petersen
Quick

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I think Maata and Lizotte will be on waivers. Clague will make it as the 7th D.

Wagner and Grunny as extra forwards.
I think Maata is waived or sent to Ontario if he isn't claimed. I don't think Lizotte is waived unless at least one center prospect makes the team out of camp because I think the Kings will keep a center and a winger as the spare forwards instead of two wingers.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Was it just me who got all tingly thinking about how hard to play againt a bottom 6 in three years of

Kupari - Danault - Fagemo
Dudas - JAD - Thomas

This assumes all reach their potential and make the leap. But my goodness that would be a pain in the ass.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sending JAD back would be a mistake. And counter to “icing the best team” just to save other fodder from waivers.

It's not saving fodder from waivers, it's about real money. Lizotte makes $800k in Ontario, and JAD makes $70k.

Most teams don't have 1 guy making NHL money in the AHL, let alone the half dozen or so that it seems we're banking on the Kings having down there.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I'd look to deal Wagner for a pick or simply waive him for the purpose of having him sent to the AHL.

He's slipped in the 'depth forward' pecking order.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'd look to deal Wagner for a pick or simply waive him for the purpose of having him sent to the AHL.

He's slipped in the 'depth forward' pecking order.

The problem is a bunch of Wagner's signed yesterday, and there are still a few more out there. Plus other teams probably have their own internal Wagner's as well.

In terms of Ontario, now we're talking millions of dollars in salary, not just hundreds of thousands.

Until proven otherwise, it's always best to assume a guy on a 1 way contract, with decent money, and over 100 NHL games played, will likely be on an NHL roster.

The AHL is not a contract dumping ground. Sometimes, yes. Andrew Ladd the last few years as an example, but that's rare.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I think Maata and Lizotte will be on waivers. Clague will make it as the 7th D.

Wagner and Grunny as extra forwards.

In a perfect world, we'd be able to swap Maata, Lizotte, Walker, and maybe a 4th or a D prospect (Spence? Moverare?) for Oleksiak. Sadly, it's not a perfect world!

Last edited:

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
It's not saving fodder from waivers, it's about real money. Lizotte makes $800k in Ontario, and JAD makes $70k.

Most teams don't have 1 guy making NHL money in the AHL, let alone the half dozen or so that it seems we're banking on the Kings having down there.
That difference in AHL salaries for Lizotte and JAD is less than the income from one home playoff game. No reason to cheap out after spending $40+million yesterday.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kempe--Kopitar--Arvidsson
Iafallo--Danault--AA
Andersson--Vilardi--Moore
Lemieux--JAD--Brown
Grundstrum/Wagner/Lizotte

There are likely scenarios here - JAD makes it, the Kings keep Lizotte and one of Wagner and Grunny OR JAD goes back to Ontario, Lizotte centers the 4th line and Wagner/Grunny are extras.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That difference in AHL salaries for Lizotte and JAD is less than the income from one home playoff game. No reason to cheap out after spending $40+million yesterday.

They re-signed Lizotte to a 1 way deal just one short month ago. During all the rumors of who they needed to go after, etc, etc. He's on the very cheap end in the NHL, so if they need to send him down, it doesn't hurt the cap, only their pocket book. They did leave themselves wiggle room.

However, if we're guessing who has the inherent spot between Lizotte and JAD as of right now, you have to figure it's Lizotte's job to lose. 1 way contracts usually matter.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Really don't like the idea of JAD and Clague being sent down, I think JAD proved he belongs more than any other prospect and I'd hate to lose Clague to waivers.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Really don't like the idea of JAD and Clague being sent down, I think JAD proved he belongs more than any other prospect and I'd hate to lose Clague to waivers.
Yea I believe JAD earned a spot. I hope Clague gets a chance and runs with it. Losing him on waivers for a year of Maatta and Edler would be a shame.

Reactions: kinghock

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
These moves create so much competition. If the players don't come into camp hungry then that's a huge red flag and they may find themselves waived or moved to fill other holes.

Reactions: steepdrop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad